Jump to content
Lescanas

Met during exchange program

13 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hello guys

I'm from Brazil and I have been dating a US citizen for almost a year now and we're planning on getting engaged when he comes down here for New year's to meet my family. 

I met him during my exchange program and I broke a rule by dating him. My host family found out and I was put on probation until I left. Will that affect my case? 

Also, I had problems with my host family during my last semester, and before I left I started making a lot of questions about staying longer. (I didn't tell anyone, but it was because I wanted to be with my boyfriend for longer)(yes I know it sounds stupid but the heart wants what it wants)

Will those things affect my case negatively?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Lescanas said:

Hello guys

I'm from Brazil and I have been dating a US citizen for almost a year now and we're planning on getting engaged when he comes down here for New year's to meet my family. 

I met him during my exchange program and I broke a rule by dating him. My host family found out and I was put on probation until I left. Will that affect my case? 

Also, I had problems with my host family during my last semester, and before I left I started making a lot of questions about staying longer. (I didn't tell anyone, but it was because I wanted to be with my boyfriend for longer)(yes I know it sounds stupid but the heart wants what it wants)

Will those things affect my case negatively?

 

No it won't! It is not a real probation I believe it is one of those weird hosting rules? Which system did you use? (Rotary clubs has no dating rule for one I know)

 

and you asked questions but didn't overstay or break any law I believe so I don't think they have any say in his..

 

Edited by Naes

AWAY TILL MID-JULY

 

Old website, same info as apps: https://egov.uscis.gov/casestatus/landing.do

New website need to log in: https://myaccount.uscis.dhs.gov

USPS INFORMED DELIVERY https://informeddelivery.usps.com/box/pages/intro/start.action

 

How to talk to a live person at USCIShttps://goo.gl/54z5bZ

What to do after NOA2 Approval? How to contact NVCClick here for info - https://goo.gl/KggThF

If you cannot get NVC on the phone try this - https://secureforms.travel.state.gov/ask-nvc.php

 

Official K1 details and flow

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/family-immigration/nonimmigrant-visa-for-a-fiance-k-1.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Naes said:

No it won't! It is not a real probation I believe it is one of those weird hosting rules? Which system did you use? (Rotary clubs has no dating rule for one I know)

 

It was ISE

When I first got to the us me and the other exchange students were told we weren't allowed to have sex, so I thought I was fine as long as we didn't do it, but then later on my representative told me I wasn't allowed to date at all and they told me I would be sent to Brazil and wouldn't be a allowed to be back in the US for 10 years if I violated my probation. 

I wasn't allowed to leave the house unless I was going to school or if my host parents were with me. 

 

Edited by Lescanas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Lescanas said:

It was ISE

When I first got to the us me and the other exchange students were told we weren't allowed to have sex, so I thought I was fine as long as we didn't do it, but then later on my representative told me I wasn't allowed to date at all and they told me I would be sent to Brazil and wouldn't be a allowed to be back in the US for 10 years if I violated my probation. 

I wasn't allowed to leave the house unless I was going to school or if my host parents were with me. 

 

Yeah they did the same to me in Japan... I am pretty sure they wanted to scare you.

 

they don't want babies basically... that's it. 

 

Simply, did you even go or meet to any kind of law officier? I'm sure no. 

Do they have legal binding to stop someone from communication??? No

 

for what is worth what they did to you by binding you to the house and telling you false information and threatening you is illegal. 

 

Do do you even keep any contact with these people? You or your partner?

Edited by Naes

AWAY TILL MID-JULY

 

Old website, same info as apps: https://egov.uscis.gov/casestatus/landing.do

New website need to log in: https://myaccount.uscis.dhs.gov

USPS INFORMED DELIVERY https://informeddelivery.usps.com/box/pages/intro/start.action

 

How to talk to a live person at USCIShttps://goo.gl/54z5bZ

What to do after NOA2 Approval? How to contact NVCClick here for info - https://goo.gl/KggThF

If you cannot get NVC on the phone try this - https://secureforms.travel.state.gov/ask-nvc.php

 

Official K1 details and flow

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/family-immigration/nonimmigrant-visa-for-a-fiance-k-1.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Naes said:

Yeah they did the same to me in Japan... I am pretty sure they wanted to scare you.

 

they don't want babies basically... that's it. 

 

Simply, did you even go or meet to any kind of law officier? I'm sure no. 

Do they have legal binding to stop someone from communication??? No

 

for what is worth what they did to you by binding you to the house and telling you false information and threatening you is illegal. 

I understand, I felt they were just doing their best to scare me but I was so scared of never seeing my boyfriend again that I just obeyed them without much questioning. Do you think they will contact my school/exchange program to ask about it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

God this makes me so furious what these people can do!

 

literally went through similar things and this is bullying!! This is mental bullying! 

 

I made them apologize to me 10 years later!!! 


AWAY TILL MID-JULY

 

Old website, same info as apps: https://egov.uscis.gov/casestatus/landing.do

New website need to log in: https://myaccount.uscis.dhs.gov

USPS INFORMED DELIVERY https://informeddelivery.usps.com/box/pages/intro/start.action

 

How to talk to a live person at USCIShttps://goo.gl/54z5bZ

What to do after NOA2 Approval? How to contact NVCClick here for info - https://goo.gl/KggThF

If you cannot get NVC on the phone try this - https://secureforms.travel.state.gov/ask-nvc.php

 

Official K1 details and flow

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/family-immigration/nonimmigrant-visa-for-a-fiance-k-1.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Lescanas said:

I understand, I felt they were just doing their best to scare me but I was so scared of never seeing my boyfriend again that I just obeyed them without much questioning. Do you think they will contact my school/exchange program to ask about it?

No sweetie no. Don't worry.

what they did is not legal. No one will call them or even consider them. Do not even mention this rules! These are ridiculous you did nothing wrong!!

 

just write that you met during your exchange year and fell in love. This is the truth not what they put you guys through.

 

you did not overstayed. You did nothing illegal from what I understand. You don't even need to talk about or think about these people.

I'm so happy it didn't make you hate the country or the general population. 


AWAY TILL MID-JULY

 

Old website, same info as apps: https://egov.uscis.gov/casestatus/landing.do

New website need to log in: https://myaccount.uscis.dhs.gov

USPS INFORMED DELIVERY https://informeddelivery.usps.com/box/pages/intro/start.action

 

How to talk to a live person at USCIShttps://goo.gl/54z5bZ

What to do after NOA2 Approval? How to contact NVCClick here for info - https://goo.gl/KggThF

If you cannot get NVC on the phone try this - https://secureforms.travel.state.gov/ask-nvc.php

 

Official K1 details and flow

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/family-immigration/nonimmigrant-visa-for-a-fiance-k-1.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Naes said:

No sweetie no. Don't worry.

what they did is not legal. No one will call them or even consider them. Do not even mention this rules! These are ridiculous you did nothing wrong!!

 

just write that you met during your exchange year and fell in love. This is the truth not what they put you guys through.

 

you did not overstayed. You did nothing illegal from what I understand. You don't even need to talk about or think about these people.

I'm so happy it didn't make you hate the country or the general population. 

I understand

Thank you for getting this weight off my shoulders!

I'm sorry for the reactions to your posts lol I was just seeing what those thingys did. 

You made me feel so much better! Thank you very much.

This exchange program did me wrong a lot of times... They even drug tested me without permission from my family and from what I've been told that's very illegal. I'm happy I don't have any contact with them anymore. 

 

Did you really make them apologize? Lmao that's great

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Lescanas said:

I understand

Thank you for getting this weight off my shoulders!

I'm sorry for the reactions to your posts lol I was just seeing what those thingys did. 

You made me feel so much better! Thank you very much.

This exchange program did me wrong a lot of times... They even drug tested me without permission from my family and from what I've been told that's very illegal. I'm happy I don't have any contact with them anymore. 

 

Did you really make them apologize? Lmao that's great

 

Are you kidding of course I made them apologize! In the middle of a club meeting! 

 

It's been 15 years since mine and I came back to japan for univeristy and now I'm working here. But those scars didn't go away, I love this country but mine was so big in so many ways I realized I couldn't overcome this even now. It takes sooo much to trust any Japanese person for me now. Nothing racist but more like I feel like they're going to hurt me some way.

 

Those things are illegal on their side, please don't worry and just enjoy your relationship and engagement.. they are not worth it. 


AWAY TILL MID-JULY

 

Old website, same info as apps: https://egov.uscis.gov/casestatus/landing.do

New website need to log in: https://myaccount.uscis.dhs.gov

USPS INFORMED DELIVERY https://informeddelivery.usps.com/box/pages/intro/start.action

 

How to talk to a live person at USCIShttps://goo.gl/54z5bZ

What to do after NOA2 Approval? How to contact NVCClick here for info - https://goo.gl/KggThF

If you cannot get NVC on the phone try this - https://secureforms.travel.state.gov/ask-nvc.php

 

Official K1 details and flow

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/family-immigration/nonimmigrant-visa-for-a-fiance-k-1.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lescanas said:

Hello guys

I'm from Brazil and I have been dating a US citizen for almost a year now and we're planning on getting engaged when he comes down here for New year's to meet my family. 

I met him during my exchange program and I broke a rule by dating him. My host family found out and I was put on probation until I left. Will that affect my case? 

Also, I had problems with my host family during my last semester, and before I left I started making a lot of questions about staying longer. (I didn't tell anyone, but it was because I wanted to be with my boyfriend for longer)(yes I know it sounds stupid but the heart wants what it wants)

Will those things affect my case negatively?

 

Like others already said, you will be fine. During your initial process, just explain the circumstances of how you met your fiancee, be clear, be straight forward and HONEST. K1 is a long journey and yu dont want to me surprised by something you couldve dont right. 

 

I`m also from Brazil and if you ever need to clarify anything from the process, please let me know. Good Luck


8/14/17 --- AOS sent I-485, I-765, I-131

8/16/17 --- AOS Packet received Chicago USCIS Day 0

8/21/17  --- Received email & text notification 

8/23/17  --- Received hard copy of NOA  

9/01/17  --- Biometrics letter notice for I-485 & I-765 & I-131  

9/11/17  --- Biometrics Appointment Done

10/17/17 - Case Is Ready To Be Scheduled For An Interview

11/30/2017 - EAD/AP Approved
12/01/2017 - Card in Production
12/05/2017 - Received Approval Notice in the Mail
12/06//2017 - Card Mailed (Priority Mail) to Me
12/07/2017 - Card Received 

1/19/18  --- Interview Date 2/21

2/21/18  ---  Approved on the Spot

  • 1 hour after the interview received uscis mobile app alert
  • Status changed from "Interview is scheduled" to "New Card Is Being Produced

2/26/18  --- Received hard copy of NOA for the Green Card

2/26/18  --- USCIS Mobile Status changed to "Card was mailed to me"

2/28/18 --- Permanent Resident/Green Card received :jest:

 

******

Travelling with Combo Card Feedback 

******

AOS Interview - Review and Tips

******

Brazil Instructions After i-129F Approval    and  Emails Sent by NVC and Brazilian Embassy after the i-129F approval

******

B2 Visa Experience / Mother-in-law financially challenged for visa

******

Please register for informed delivery if it is applicable in your region - USPS INFORMED DELIVERY

******

NVC - (603)-334-0700

USCIS - 800-375-5283

******

" Have you tried the search tool? K1 isnt an easy process and a LOT of reading is required to avoid problems (RFEs) etc, if you dont like reading, be prepared to spend WAY more time and couple more $$$ with an lawyer " 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Lescanas said:

It was ISE

When I first got to the us me and the other exchange students were told we weren't allowed to have sex, so I thought I was fine as long as we didn't do it, but then later on my representative told me I wasn't allowed to date at all and they told me I would be sent to Brazil and wouldn't be a allowed to be back in the US for 10 years if I violated my probation. 

I wasn't allowed to leave the house unless I was going to school or if my host parents were with me. 

 

 

They can't stop you from having sex if you are of the age of consent wherever you are living.  Dating is also fine - there are a few Scandinavian-American couples around where I live that met from exchange programs.  It is normal.  

 

However, the way they treated you was terrible.  I'm really upset on your behalf.  


3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Lescanas said:

It was ISE

When I first got to the us me and the other exchange students were told we weren't allowed to have sex, so I thought I was fine as long as we didn't do it, but then later on my representative told me I wasn't allowed to date at all and they told me I would be sent to Brazil and wouldn't be a allowed to be back in the US for 10 years if I violated my probation. 

I wasn't allowed to leave the house unless I was going to school or if my host parents were with me. 

 

OMG!  Nonsense!  You are fine.  Love comes when it comes.  I wish you both a very happy life together.  God Bless you both,  Aloha David

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Lescanas said:

I understand, I felt they were just doing their best to scare me but I was so scared of never seeing my boyfriend again that I just obeyed them without much questioning. Do you think they will contact my school/exchange program to ask about it?

You did the right thing.  Now that you are back home can get to know this bf by long distance communication.  Even if they contact your school they cannot keep you from seeing your bf when he comes to visit you.  They cannot derail your future plans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×