Alfred0102

I have been married for more than 2 years and at the POE my passport was stamped with CR1 and not IR1

23 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, David & Zoila said:

No one can answer that question.  We don't post odds here.  Hope for the best.

Neither do I throw dice. My question is clear and can be answered by someone who knows the answer. Or someone who had his passport stamped with cr1 after 2 years marriage and whether she or he received the 2 ir 10 years green card. I'm not looking for statistical analysis.

3 hours ago, Sulaiman Swaitti said:

But I was wondering what are the chances that they'll give me the wrong one at the first place.

Either exactly 0% or 100% based on if they make a mistake or not. :P

No mistake: 0%

Mistake: 100%

What are the chances USCIS will make a mistake? Well, that does require hard data (not available to the public) and a simple calculation.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

20 minutes ago, David & Zoila said:

No one can answer that question.  We don't post odds here.  Hope for the best.

10 minutes ago, Sulaiman Swaitti said:

Neither do I throw dice. My question is clear and can be answered by someone who knows the answer. Or someone who had his passport stamped with cr1 after 2 years marriage and whether she or he received the 2 ir 10 years green card. I'm not looking for statistical analysis.

Ah but that is exactly what you asked for.  You asked what are the odds.  That is statistical analysis.

4 minutes ago, geowrian said:

Either exactly 0% or 100% based on if they make a mistake or not. :P

No mistake: 0%

Mistake: 100%

What are the chances USCIS will make a mistake? Well, that does require hard data (not available to the public) and a simple calculation.

Genius!  Laughed out loud.  Thanks geowrain :jest:

16 minutes ago, K1_Journey said:

Again, incorrect info "It's based on how long you are married when you become an LPR. You become an LPR upon entry at POE via an immigrant visa". No it is not, it is based on how long you have been married at the time the visa or permanent resident green card is issued, or in the case of a K1 visa who filed Adjustment of Status it is based on how long you have been married at the time the permanent resident green card is issued. I personally know people who came to the US on a K1 visa, waited a little over 1 year after marriage to file Adjustment of Status, by the time their permanent resident card was issued 1 year later it had been 2 years since married thus they received a 10 year green card without having to file for Removal of Conditions.

Please, read the link directly from the source. It very clearly states the requirements. I did not pull the wording out of thin air...the source is there right from the horse's mouth. I'm not sure how else I can make it more clear:

"Your permanent residence status is conditional if it is based on a marriage that was less than 2 years old on the day you were given permanent residence. You are given conditional resident status on the day you are lawfully admitted to the United States on an immigrant visa or adjustment of your status to permanent residence."

Re: AOS

If somebody waited over a year to file for AOS and then it took another year for AOS to be approved, then they will get a 10 year card as well. It's based on the day you become an LPR, not when the card is issued. For AOS, these 2 events are usually very close to each other, but not the same. For an immigrant visa, the date of visa issuance and POE could be up to 6 months apart.

Differences Between IR1 and CR1 Visas

• IR1 (IR stands for "Immediate Relative") Visas entitle their holder to receive Permanent Residency within the United States for a period of 10 years (may be renewed)
  • CR1 (CR stands for "Conditional Residency") Visas entitle their holder to receive "Conditional" Permanent Residency within the United States for a period of 2 years

The deciding factor on which visa an applicant is issued (IR1 versus CR1 visa) is the amount of time that they have been married at the time the visa is issued. If an applicant has been married to their US Citizen spouse for a period of two years or greater they will be issued an IR1 Visa. If they have been married less than two years they will be issued a CR1 Visa. A CR1 Visa will result in the applicant obtaining "conditional" permanent residency within the US and after a period of two years the applicant can apply to "Remove Conditions" 90 days before the conditional permanent resident card expires and they will be issued a regular 10 year green card.

The type of visa you will get is based on how long you were married at the time the visa is issued. Your status is based on how long you were married at the time you were admitted to the US on an immigrant visa.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

***Bickering post removed; belabor this point no further or Administrative Action will be taken.***

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

14 minutes ago, K1_Journey said:

Again, incorrect info "It's based on how long you are married when you become an LPR. You become an LPR upon entry at POE via an immigrant visa". No it is not, it is based on how long you have been married at the time the visa or permanent resident green card is issued, or in the case of a K1 visa who filed Adjustment of Status it is based on how long you have been married at the time the permanent resident green card is issued. I personally know people who came to the US on a K1 visa, waited a little over 1 year after marriage to file Adjustment of Status, by the time their permanent resident card was issued 1 year later it had been 2 years since married thus they received a 10 year green card without having to file for Removal of Conditions.

Differences Between IR1 and CR1 Visas

• IR1 (IR stands for "Immediate Relative") Visas entitle their holder to receive Permanent Residency within the United States for a period of 10 years (may be renewed)
  • CR1 (CR stands for "Conditional Residency") Visas entitle their holder to receive "Conditional" Permanent Residency within the United States for a period of 2 years

The deciding factor on which visa an applicant is issued (IR1 versus CR1 visa) is the amount of time that they have been married at the time the visa is issued. If an applicant has been married to their US Citizen spouse for a period of two years or greater they will be issued an IR1 Visa. If they have been married less than two years they will be issued a CR1 Visa. A CR1 Visa will result in the applicant obtaining "conditional" permanent residency within the US and after a period of two years the applicant can apply to "Remove Conditions" 90 days before the conditional permanent resident card expires and they will be issued a regular 10 year green card.

IR1 and CR1 Immigrant Visas

http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/IR1_and_CR1_Immigrant_Visas

Thanks for your comment. I think what you're saying may not be 100% correct. I took a photo of what the embassy gave me that is attached below. I think it means from the time being married to the time I'm admitted to the POE.

IMG_5805.JPG

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.