22 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline

Definitely don't use that lawyer he definitely gave you wrong advice 😧 Like the majority of users said apply for adjustment of status. Just know things can take time and personally I wouldn't make any definite plans (plane tickets, hotels etc) until you have the correct documents to travel out of the country - advanced parole.  

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

1-fire the lawyer!!!!!

1-ignore the bad advice from above (ie leave the country)

3-marry and file the i130 and i485 

4-do not leave until you have your greencard (or AP) in your hand

5-enjoy your wedding and life:) 

Filed: J-1 Visa Country: Austria
Timeline

Hello everybody!

Thank you so much for all the answers!

I already told my fiancé about all that and we are so happy to finally know whats going on and not confused no more.

Now we can plan everything and you gave us the time frame how long everything could take and very good advice :)

We will get the marriage license soon and do the court wedding.

Since I got all your information now, I will talk to my attorney again (I did not hire him yet, he said he can only help me AFTER I got married :) ), if I feel like he knows less than I know now, I won´t hire him.

I think there was maybe just a misunderstanding.

I´m just very happy I´m allowed to stay after I filed for AOS.

Thank you for the tip about the EAD!!

Yes I need that, I want to work after my J1 expires.

I didn´t know it takes 4 months, good to know. :)

But so just if my greencard wont be here and we would like to go to Europe for the honeymoon, is there anything I can file so I´m allowed to leave the country for maybe 2 weeks? :whistle:

I read something in the internet, you need to file for a paper and proof kinda you want to come back and have plane return tickets and stuff.

When I told my fiancé about it, we didn´t know if we should laugh or cry. :D

First we thought I have to leave and now I´m not allowed to leave. lol

Thanks again!

27 minutes ago, Grafit said:

But so just if my greencard wont be here and we would like to go to Europe for the honeymoon, is there anything I can file so I´m allowed to leave the country for maybe 2 weeks? :whistle:

I read something in the internet, you need to file for a paper and proof kinda you want to come back and have plane return tickets and stuff.

That's the I-131 that you should file at the same time as the I-485. This is AP, which lets you leave the country without abandoning your AOS application, and then re-enter (assuming there is not cause to deny entry...only USCs are guaranteed entry). ETA: ~4 months for AP.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

On 9/13/2017 at 1:44 PM, sparkles_ said:

I know someone who did AOS from a j1, they also didn't have the 2yr rule and their case actually finished in about 6-7 months.

I know another person: me! Took me less than 5 months, but as @Suss&Camm said, that has more to do with the fact that apparently my field office wasn't too busy. But yes, usually you get a combo card for work authorization and advance parole (travel authorization) so file both 131 and 765 which both take about 4 months.

I know it's off-topic (sorry @geowrian!) but I don't get why people are so upset about ppl adjusting from anything other than fiance visas. I lived in this country for 10 years, legally I should emphasize, as a non-immigrant, before I met this wonderful man who is now my husband. I was a student first, then employed and paying taxes, just didn't find an employer who would sponsor me for a green card. My now-husband just happened to be an American (I mean, what are the chances when you're actually LIVING in the US) and couldn't move to my home country for professional reasons. When I got engaged, I wasn't about to quit my job (don't think my employer would have been too happy about that), move back to my country (and be unemployed there???) and wait for a fiance visa to come through. 

The sole question related to my previous visas (and I copied every single one of them!) was why I had so many entries to the US. I explained I had lived here for 10 years and when I was in academia, I was able to spend summer breaks at home. That was it. Nothing about it being illegal/abuse etc.

Also, from the USCIS.gov page (emphasis mine):

Fiancé(e) Visas

This page provides information for U.S. citizens wishing to bring a foreign national fiancé(e) living abroad to the United States to marry.

If you plan to marry a foreign national outside the United States or your fiancé(e) is already residing legally in the United States, you do not need to file for a fiancé(e) visa. See the “Green Card” page.

https://www.uscis.gov/family/family-us-citizens/fiancee-visa/fiancee-visas

Edited by DrEllaNJ

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
6 hours ago, DrEllaNJ said:

I know another person: me! Took me less than 5 months, but as @Suss&Camm said, that has more to do with the fact that apparently my field office wasn't too busy. But yes, usually you get a combo card for work authorization and advance parole (travel authorization) so file both 131 and 765 which both take about 4 months.

I know it's off-topic (sorry @geowrian!) but I don't get why people are so upset about ppl adjusting from anything other than fiance visas. I lived in this country for 10 years, legally I should emphasize, as a non-immigrant, before I met this wonderful man who is now my husband. I was a student first, then employed and paying taxes, just didn't find an employer who would sponsor me for a green card. My now-husband just happened to be an American (I mean, what are the chances when you're actually LIVING in the US) and couldn't move to my home country for professional reasons. When I got engaged, I wasn't about to quit my job (don't think my employer would have been too happy about that), move back to my country (and be unemployed there???) and wait for a fiance visa to come through. 

The sole question related to my previous visas (and I copied every single one of them!) was why I had so many entries to the US. I explained I had lived here for 10 years and when I was in academia, I was able to spend summer breaks at home. That was it. Nothing about it being illegal/abuse etc.

Also, from the USCIS.gov page (emphasis mine):

Fiancé(e) Visas

This page provides information for U.S. citizens wishing to bring a foreign national fiancé(e) living abroad to the United States to marry.

If you plan to marry a foreign national outside the United States or your fiancé(e) is already residing legally in the United States, you do not need to file for a fiancé(e) visa. See the “Green Card” page.

https://www.uscis.gov/family/family-us-citizens/fiancee-visa/fiancee-visas

I agree with what you say about people on VJ getting mad! So many people are so quick to judge and say to leave and do a k1 rather then stay and get married! People just get jealous and to be honest, 90% of the people do a k1 because they can't get a b2. 

*~*~*moved from "K-1 fiancé visa progress reports" to "AOS from work/study/tourist visas" as OP is adjusting from J-1*~*~*

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.