22 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, new on here and have some questions... I recently submitted my I130 for my wife (I'm a US Citizen and resident of mexico, she's Mexican) and we were approved in Mexico City on June 29, including a request for expedition due to job transfer.

We received the I130 submission notice through email but have yet to receive it via snail mail... after reading all these forums, it seems like the best thing to do is call the Visa processing center in Ciudad Juarez until we receive a case number. HOWEVER, no one picks up any phones! I must have tried ten different numbers, trying all the dial pad options, but it's always automated or an operator transfers me to a dead line.

Anyone in the same position?? This process is so stressful...

Just to give you another data point: we submitted our i130 to the embassy in Mexico City on June 24, received NOA1 via email on June 27, and received NOA2 (approval) on July 6. We haven't receive either of these notifications via snail mail. On July 17 we received the snail mail letter from the consulate with our case number (no email this time). The letter stated that the case number had been assigned on July 12.

One thing that may help is to check the mailing address you listed. I am a US citizen living in Mexico, petitioning my wife. I used our physical address for both her mailing and physical address, but I used my US address for my mailing address out of habit. NOA2 said that they would mail the embassy letter to the petitioner's address but they ended up mailing it to my mailing address in the States. Did you by chance specify a different address?

DCF Mexico

06/04/2017: Married

06/24/2017: Mailed I-130

06/27/2017: NOA1 (technically a RFE as we were missing beneficiary ID)

07/06/2017: NOA2

07/12/2017: Case assigned by Juarez embassy

07/17/2017: Packet 3 received

08/15/2017: Interview/Approval!

08/22/2017: Visa received via DHL

09/03/2017: POE

09/16/2017: Permanent Resident Card received

Total days from NOA1 to approval: 49

I wrote a DCF Mexico guide! http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php?title=DCF_Mexico

34 minutes ago, Jorge Valdivia said:

Just to give you another data point: we submitted our i130 to the embassy in Mexico City on June 24, received NOA1 via email on June 27, and received NOA2 (approval) on July 6. We haven't receive either of these notifications via snail mail. On July 17 we received the snail mail letter from the consulate with our case number (no email this time). The letter stated that the case number had been assigned on July 12.

One thing that may help is to check the mailing address you listed. I am a US citizen living in Mexico, petitioning my wife. I used our physical address for both her mailing and physical address, but I used my US address for my mailing address out of habit. NOA2 said that they would mail the embassy letter to the petitioner's address but they ended up mailing it to my mailing address in the States. Did you by chance specify a different address?

Hey Jorge,

This is really helpful, thank you... So the July 17 snail mail letter with the case number came to your USA address? And then with that case number, were you able to log into the system to already make the visa appointment or you're just able to check your status with it?

The only notice to our email was that the I130 had been approved and sent to Ciudad Juarez, that's the last we've heard. I'm not sure if that's NOA1 or NOA2 or both rolled into one.

Unfortunately the physical address is just our Mexico one. We have a US-based attorney as co-filer so I was thinking to check with him if he'd received anything via snail mail that might have the case number.

What stage of the process are you in? I guess I'm also confused as to what the purpose of the case number actually is. Just to keep checking your status and waiting?

Thanks so much!

Edited by mexicoAmigo

@mexicoAmigo You are correct in that the case number allows you to log into the system. It's used for filling out the DS-260 which is a form you need to take to the interview. We're actually experiencing a technical glitch with the system that doesn't allow us to login to the DS-260. I posted about it here on VJ. Fortunately we were still able to make an appointment by calling the AIS phone number for Juarez (+1 703 249 4628) and giving them our case number. The earliest interview date they had was Sept 21, so we took it.

I would check with your lawyer about the mail issue. As I mentioned, we were expecting the case number to be mailed to us in Mexico, not the US, so it may be a similar problem for you.

DCF Mexico

I wrote a DCF Mexico guide! http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php?title=DCF_Mexico

31 minutes ago, Jorge Valdivia said:

@mexicoAmigo You are correct in that the case number allows you to log into the system. It's used for filling out the DS-260 which is a form you need to take to the interview. We're actually experiencing a technical glitch with the system that doesn't allow us to login to the DS-260. I posted about it here on VJ. Fortunately we were still able to make an appointment by calling the AIS phone number for Juarez (+1 703 249 4628) and giving them our case number. The earliest interview date they had was Sept 21, so we took it.

I would check with your lawyer about the mail issue. As I mentioned, we were expecting the case number to be mailed to us in Mexico, not the US, so it may be a similar problem for you.

Ahhh okay got it... this is my exact problem though, I can never get to an actual person at that number and I have tried what seems like every possible combination of numbers... what options did you go through at that number to get to a real human??

That's bizarre about a technical glitch...after all that, haha. I hope it gets resolved fast.

@mexicoAmigo I was able to get through by calling this number actually, +52 656 344 3003 . I've gotten a person every time, though I don't remember the exact options but I think that it was 1, 2, 3 and then the option to talk to an agent. Unfortunately I'm not sure if they'll be able to help you as I think they focus more on support after you've received your case number, but I'm not 100% sure on that. Wouldn't hurt to give it a try.

DCF Mexico

2 hours ago, Jorge Valdivia said:

@mexicoAmigo I was able to get through by calling this number actually, +52 656 344 3003 . I've gotten a person every time, though I don't remember the exact options but I think that it was 1, 2, 3 and then the option to talk to an agent. Unfortunately I'm not sure if they'll be able to help you as I think they focus more on support after you've received your case number, but I'm not 100% sure on that. Wouldn't hurt to give it a try.

I was able to get through to someone by choosing the DS260 option! Thanks so much... so we don't have a case number yet, but at least I know who to keep pestering until we get.

I hope you figure out your glitch soon. thanks!

@mexicoAmigo Glad I was able to be of some help! I hope you get a case number soon. Could you possibly do me a favor in hopes of getting my technical glitch resolved? I've been doing some reading and I think a lot of people have this same problem. It seems that most of the time the problem is resolved on its own especially if it's DCF, but not always. When you get your case number could you let me know if you can sign up for the DS-260? The letter you get from the consulate will tell you to sign in here, https://ceac.state.gov/IV . I can complete the first step, but it keeps telling me that the case number/birthdate is incorrect after filling out the second step. If you could let me know if you are able/unable to complete the signup that'll tell me if the problem is normal or just specific to my case. Thanks in advance!

DCF Mexico

45 minutes ago, Jorge Valdivia said:

@mexicoAmigo Glad I was able to be of some help! I hope you get a case number soon. Could you possibly do me a favor in hopes of getting my technical glitch resolved? I've been doing some reading and I think a lot of people have this same problem. It seems that most of the time the problem is resolved on its own especially if it's DCF, but not always. When you get your case number could you let me know if you can sign up for the DS-260? The letter you get from the consulate will tell you to sign in here, https://ceac.state.gov/IV . I can complete the first step, but it keeps telling me that the case number/birthdate is incorrect after filling out the second step. If you could let me know if you are able/unable to complete the signup that'll tell me if the problem is normal or just specific to my case. Thanks in advance!

Hey Jorge, yes absolutely! I checked with our US lawyer yesterday and he hadn't received anything but confirmed that as the attorney of record, he will be getting the confirmation. And I'll keep bugging too.

so you were still able to make the appointment despite not being able to fill the Ds260? That's some comfort at least, you have some time to resolve it.

what did the CDJ line say when you called to ask about it?

Yea, you don't need to complete the DS-260 to schedule the appointments, but you do need to have it completed and printed before your interview. I was able to make the appointment when I called that number I posted earlier when I was looking to solve the technical glitch. You can also make the appointment online at https://ais.usvisa-info.com/en-mx/iv but you'll need your case number.

The call center told me that they are escalating a report with CDJ and to keep calling back every day to check on the status. Not ideal.

DCF Mexico

Hey @mexicoAmigo just checking if you have heard any news on your case number yet.

I wanted to share that I finally found a solution to our technical glitch. Someone in Juarez entered my wife's birthdate wrong. I was able to get the incorrect birthdate by filling out this form, https://mx.usembassy.gov/public-inquiry-form-immigrant-visas-residents/  . I still need to call to get it fixed but I can login to the CEAC website now. I wanted to give you an update on this in case it happened to you, too. Calling didn't really help but filling out the form got me an answer in only a few hours.

Another piece of advice: When I first scheduled my interview the first available date was September 21, more than two months away. The person who scheduled my interview on the phone said that I should check available dates often as other interviewees cancel their appointments from time to time. I've been checking the site multiple times per day. This morning a new opening appeared for September 11, ten days earlier! This afternoon a new opening appeared for August 16! Over a month before my original date! Once you get your appointment keep checking for earlier availability. You may just get lucky and find an earlier date.

DCF Mexico

13 hours ago, Jorge Valdivia said:

Hey @mexicoAmigo just checking if you have heard any news on your case number yet.

I wanted to share that I finally found a solution to our technical glitch. Someone in Juarez entered my wife's birthdate wrong. I was able to get the incorrect birthdate by filling out this form, https://mx.usembassy.gov/public-inquiry-form-immigrant-visas-residents/  . I still need to call to get it fixed but I can login to the CEAC website now. I wanted to give you an update on this in case it happened to you, too. Calling didn't really help but filling out the form got me an answer in only a few hours.

Another piece of advice: When I first scheduled my interview the first available date was September 21, more than two months away. The person who scheduled my interview on the phone said that I should check available dates often as other interviewees cancel their appointments from time to time. I've been checking the site multiple times per day. This morning a new opening appeared for September 11, ten days earlier! This afternoon a new opening appeared for August 16! Over a month before my original date! Once you get your appointment keep checking for earlier availability. You may just get lucky and find an earlier date.

Hey Jorge,

That's amazing you were able to resolve your glitch so quickly, and thanks for the tip in case it happens to us. We still have no word on our case but I also realized I posted the wrong date here - our approval was July 7 so given your timeline, we have a little waiting left to do. I did call NVC and they had no case number yet (as of Friday) but I'll keep calling. However, good news - we DID get the approval notice by mail (the same one we had gotten by email), postmarked a week earlier so I do feel confident we'll get the case number letter by mail as well.

Also - that's unbelievable you were able to find an advance date. Such a great tip and thanks so much - I'll be sure to check incessantly as well.

I'll definitely update as we get more news. Should be in touch prior to your interview date, but we'll definitely be looking forward to your interview to hear how it goes. I kind of stopped reading the forums on here because there seem to be a mix of horror stories and really good experiences so I assume the ones in the middle just don't post anything, haha..

stay in touch!!

• 2 years later...

Hi friends! I know this isn't quite on topic, but I have been having a real hard time finding info about the I-130 process in Mexico specifically online and was hoping for some help....

On JourneyVisa's guide, it says to call the consulate to double check all requirements to start the process. I cannot seem to talk to any real person when I call the Mexico City Embassy (which seems to be where the I-130 is filed? I'm not even 100% on that.) We married here in Hidalgo about one month ago, I'm not a resident yet (although husband is looking into that process) and I'm wondering if I can even start this process before being a resident?

Should I schedule an appointment at the Embassy to start this process? Do I start with the I-130 form? Any advice at all would be appreciated!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
6 minutes ago, Silove said:

Hi friends! I know this isn't quite on topic, but I have been having a real hard time finding info about the I-130 process in Mexico specifically online and was hoping for some help....

On JourneyVisa's guide, it says to call the consulate to double check all requirements to start the process. I cannot seem to talk to any real person when I call the Mexico City Embassy (which seems to be where the I-130 is filed? I'm not even 100% on that.) We married here in Hidalgo about one month ago, I'm not a resident yet (although husband is looking into that process) and I'm wondering if I can even start this process before being a resident?

Should I schedule an appointment at the Embassy to start this process? Do I start with the I-130 form? Any advice at all would be appreciated!

Try googling the USCIS office in Mexico city as that is the place that intakes the i130

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.