sam1985cs

Graduated F1 student with $20 dollars left in my bank account. What are my options to sustain myself?

26 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

GoFundMe?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
42 minutes ago, sam1985cs said:

I came here with an intention of finding a solution. Some of the comments were downright insulting. I don't want to waste anyones time and I will not make this thread unnecessarily longer by replying to such comments

OP, look for jobs in your field. With a job offer, you can go to USCIS (make an InfoPass) and expedite your EAD.

Best of luck!

19 hours ago, almost_umrican said:

The immigration policy of this country should treat prospective immigrants graduating with Masters in STEM fields with respect and extra care. these are the best brains in the world who have contributed to the US with exorbitant fees as international students. Most of the them end up finding work (well paid) after some struggle but the government need to get this that these people are law abiding people who will be great US citizens. i guess what i am trying to say is the path to citizenship for these people should be expedited.we all know how the employers to these foreign students treat them like in lieu of sponsoring their green cards. i would like to wish the OP good luck. May all your troubles be little ones. 

No they should not be expedited citizenship, he only has a Masters and globally he has competition from others with more qualifications in their field. 

He borrowed money before and paid it back, so why not again. Why was no money saved for the end of the study period? Crowd sourcing, selling unwanted personal items on Craigslist are other options.

This is why I'm trying to find a job in international student advising... although if it's one of the top STEM programs in Cali they probably have a good International Students program, but it's up to the student to go there and follow through. I feel bad for OP, but as an international student you have to plan for these things. You can't just pretend rules and regulations don't exist while you work your butt off on finals and theses.

When I applied for OPT, I did it in March, so I had the card a week after graduating in May. 

Hindsight is 20/20, but it probably would have been better to delay the defense date in order to remain in student status until a job has been found. And of course, apply for EAD well in advance so you get it ASAP after graduating.

For those of you saying OP has no path to citizenship/a green card, actually, s/he does. With STEM OPT, they have 3 years to prove themselves to an employer (who does not have to sponsor them). During that time, the company may decide s/he's too valuable to lose and sponsor them for a work visa and/or Green Card.

Or who knows, while working OP could find an American spouse... I certainly don't advocate marrying for a GC, but love happens.

I believe there's a way to expedite your EAD stating that you are facing financial emergency. But I'm not sure whether you need to have a job offer or not. I would suggest to call USCIS to find it out. Good luck!

N400

11.06.2019...........Application Submitted Online
11.16.2019............Receive Biometrics Letter in mail
11.29.2019............Biometrics done
08.17.2020............Interview Scheduled

09.21.2020............Interview, approved

09.22.2020............Oath Ceremony

Filed: K-1 Visa Country:
Timeline

Several options:

- Ask parents for money and pay them back later

- Ask a friend if you can stay with them, and pay them back later

- Go home

- Get a loan from your bank/credit union if you have a good credit score

Ok have you considering going home? With your background, you may have greater opportunities at home?

Edited by Smartwater

I don't know if the OP is responding anymore but...

Anyone telling him/her to work is telling them to work illegally.

And honestly, I don't know what the OP wants us to tell them.

They can try to expedite EAD with a job offer
They can ask friends and family for money

If the OP wants us to tell them to go find a small job or be paid under the table, then yeah someone will mention it, but remember it's illegal to do so, and if you enjoy the US, you may not want to start practicing illegal activities.

Sometimes you just need to eat your pride and ask friends and family for help, if you've always paid back on time like you said, then they shouldn't have trouble helping you when you're in a bad spot.

Edited by Ash.1101

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Several posts have been removed for condoning or offering instruction on how to perform illegal activity (working without authorization).

Administrative action has been taken against another member for having ignored an in-thread instruction from VJ Moderation.

The OP has been given plenty of constructive advice, so this thread is locked to further comment.  Do not restart this thread or refer to it elsewhere.

TBoneTX

VJ Moderation

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.