Jump to content
cvancejp

Interview today, green card approved!

11 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Just sharing my journey and interview process!

 

My wife and I got married in February and filed in April of 2016. It was a grueling process for us, our initial co-sponsor didn't work out (which wasted many months of time) and we had to scramble to find a new one. We luckily did... our EAD/AP was approved on December 3rd of 2016 (FINALLY... this was the most frustrating part... waiting so many months where my wife was unable to work or leave the country, especially since she had been back in the states since December of 2015) and our interview happened today!

 

We filed with an immigration lawyer who helped us fill out the applications. I highly recommend this route... it saved us a lot of time and stress knowing we were doing everything right and providing all of the right documents.

 

Our interview was in Los Angeles, CA at 8:15am. We arrived a half hour early and waited less than 10 minutes after checking in before being called into the interview room. We had been stressing about what documents and proof of evidence to bring with us, but to be honest with you, the immigration officer barely looked any of it. He was more interested in our story.

 

We took an oath, then he asked us names, passports, ID's. Then (which I don't even feel this was okay or even legal to do), he asked me about my relationship history and sexual orientation. We are a gay couple. He asked me how many boyfriends I had, then girlfriends, then made a statement of "You must be bisexual then." Blergh. He did the same to my wife. Asked if we knew we were gay before meeting and stuff like that. I don't feel like it's appropriate... you wouldn't ask a straight couple the same questions. But whatever, I'm grateful he focused on that and not on my taxes hahaha.

 

He then asked about our history, moving in together, asked if we had our house keys on us, then asked us both to show him the key to the front door. Also asked very briefly about our co-sponsor, if he was a US citizen and where he lived.

 

He didn't ask anything about my work, taxes, income, what we did for a living... didn't look at a single photo or receipts. We had documents showing our apartment lease, joint credit card, and joint cell-phone plan, which he looked at very quickly. That was about it.

 

And then we were approved on the spot! I guess it's just a luck of a draw with immigration officers!

 

My suggestion to other couples... be patient! Be there for one another. It's tough on everyone, but you will get through it. Make sure you are filing things properly to save a lot of time and stress! One little mistake can cost you months and that can be very hard on everyone. It's good to over prepare for the interview! I honestly think printing conversations is overkill (we didn't) but bring whatever you need to make you feel secure about the interview.

 

And finally, it's not as bad as people make it out to be. Don't listen to the horror stories! If your relationship is legit, you've lived together and are an actual couple doing "couple" things (like travelling together, meeting family, etc). you have nothing to worry about.

 

Woot!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, cvancejp said:

And then we were approved on the spot! I guess it's just a luck of a draw with immigration officers! Usually is; never know what they'll ask for. It's a first I've seen them ask to show house keys. 

 

And finally, it's not as bad as people make it out to be. Don't listen to the horror stories! If your relationship is legit, you've lived together and are an actual couple doing "couple" things (like travelling together, meeting family, etc). you have nothing to worry about. Yep.. legit people work on their relationship; bad apples work to create paperwork. 

 

Congrats

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, cvancejp said:

Just sharing my journey and interview process!

 

My wife and I got married in February and filed in April of 2016. It was a grueling process for us, our initial co-sponsor didn't work out (which wasted many months of time) and we had to scramble to find a new one. We luckily did... our EAD/AP was approved on December 3rd of 2016 (FINALLY... this was the most frustrating part... waiting so many months where my wife was unable to work or leave the country, especially since she had been back in the states since December of 2015) and our interview happened today!

 

We filed with an immigration lawyer who helped us fill out the applications. I highly recommend this route... it saved us a lot of time and stress knowing we were doing everything right and providing all of the right documents.

 

Our interview was in Los Angeles, CA at 8:15am. We arrived a half hour early and waited less than 10 minutes after checking in before being called into the interview room. We had been stressing about what documents and proof of evidence to bring with us, but to be honest with you, the immigration officer barely looked any of it. He was more interested in our story.

 

We took an oath, then he asked us names, passports, ID's. Then (which I don't even feel this was okay or even legal to do), he asked me about my relationship history and sexual orientation. We are a gay couple. He asked me how many boyfriends I had, then girlfriends, then made a statement of "You must be bisexual then." Blergh. He did the same to my wife. Asked if we knew we were gay before meeting and stuff like that. I don't feel like it's appropriate... you wouldn't ask a straight couple the same questions. But whatever, I'm grateful he focused on that and not on my taxes hahaha.

 

He then asked about our history, moving in together, asked if we had our house keys on us, then asked us both to show him the key to the front door. Also asked very briefly about our co-sponsor, if he was a US citizen and where he lived.

 

He didn't ask anything about my work, taxes, income, what we did for a living... didn't look at a single photo or receipts. We had documents showing our apartment lease, joint credit card, and joint cell-phone plan, which he looked at very quickly. That was about it.

 

And then we were approved on the spot! I guess it's just a luck of a draw with immigration officers!

 

My suggestion to other couples... be patient! Be there for one another. It's tough on everyone, but you will get through it. Make sure you are filing things properly to save a lot of time and stress! One little mistake can cost you months and that can be very hard on everyone. It's good to over prepare for the interview! I honestly think printing conversations is overkill (we didn't) but bring whatever you need to make you feel secure about the interview.

 

And finally, it's not as bad as people make it out to be. Don't listen to the horror stories! If your relationship is legit, you've lived together and are an actual couple doing "couple" things (like travelling together, meeting family, etc). you have nothing to worry about.

 

Woot!

 

Congrats !!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, KierenHby said:

Congrats

Yeah the house key thing was a trip. My wife NEVER carries her keys with her if she's with me. But for some random reason, I grabbed both hers and mine before we left. Lucky.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, cvancejp said:

Yeah the house key thing was a trip. My wife NEVER carries her keys with her if she's with me. But for some random reason, I grabbed both hers and mine before we left. Lucky.

Congratulations.....what a thinking....saved your day ha!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×