2,664 posts in this topic

48 minutes ago, SMAlexander said:

Do you guys suggest getting a lawyer or is this waiver something that I can do like everything else?  Please really need advice.  I honestly am at a lost with this process.  This really caught me off guard and we just turned in documents to the embassy that he needed after a failed interview.  He is eligible for a waiver so what now? do I just go ahead and start the 601 process or let a lawyer do it.  Please any kind of guidance is welcomed.

I would suggest a lawyer, but why did he get a 601 waiver? You cant get a 601 cause they think your relationship isnt strong enough?

in July we went to our interview, and they requested more evidence of the marriage, and other documents.  This part has been done.  In 2014 he needed to provide a job letter for his visa and the wrong address was provided so they cancelled his visa saying he misrepresented himself and all of this came up during his interview.  I just read over the instructions and called USCIS and im confused.  So im here and he is over there, can I submit these papers like the others, or is it something he would have to do from over there? im really lost...  also I have petitioned for his daughter and was approved now just waiting on interview process again with her.  Will his situation affect her case.  yes I am in a complicated situation and it is draining me and this marriage

Edited by SMAlexander

On 10/18/2017 at 4:55 PM, SMAlexander said:

in July we went to our interview, and they requested more evidence of the marriage, and other documents.  This part has been done.  In 2014 he needed to provide a job letter for his visa and the wrong address was provided so they cancelled his visa saying he misrepresented himself and all of this came up during his interview.  I just read over the instructions and called USCIS and im confused.  So im here and he is over there, can I submit these papers like the others, or is it something he would have to do from over there? im really lost...  also I have petitioned for his daughter and was approved now just waiting on interview process again with her.  Will his situation affect her case.  yes I am in a complicated situation and it is draining me and this marriage

In my humble opinion, in your case it is a must, not an option, to hire a reputable lawyer in the US that's able to sort out your husband's situation. A waiver is a serious matter that needs to be handled very carefully, although your case doesn't seem complicated. But insisting on trying to do things yourself is only going to cause more and more delays which in turn will continue to strain your marriage. 

Good luck

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Gambia
Timeline
On 4/19/2017 at 3:12 AM, Batthdev said:

On December 1st a RFE was requested. The RFE was sent Feb 22, 2017 and my husband's waiver was approved on march 7th (it was the best birthday gift ever!!). US embassy in Delhi received all the documents on march 14th. Medical and Police clearance done on March 24th. Interview was scheduled for April 3rd, 2017 and visa was approved:) Picked up his visa on april 6th and reached US on April 7th :). I though I should give you guys an update since I have been really busy! Thanks for all the hope and I do pray for other people. If someone needs a good lawyer, I could suggest mine.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Gambia
Timeline

When your schedule for the waiver interview did the council ask you too many questions or only few words been ask. I’m very much concern on waiver interview..  just curious thanks you

17 hours ago, kebs said:

When your schedule for the waiver interview did the council ask you too many questions or only few words been ask. I’m very much concern on waiver interview..  just curious thanks you

There is no waiver interview. You get your waiver approval by mail and the consulate sends you an email at the same time letting you know to go ahead and schedule your follow up interview. The interview is scheduled for 2 to 3 weeks later. Keep in mind that when you go for the follow up interview the consul already knows that your waiver is approved. Therefore the interview is very easy and fast, basically he/she asks a few basic questions about you and who is petitioning you. Barring any unforeseen circumstances, 5 minutes later the consul will tell you that you're approved and give you your letter so you can go ahead and pay for your green card online. It is natural to feel nervous but this is the easiest step of them all. Good luck, you're almost here in the US.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
On 9/15/2017 at 6:38 PM, Lrxify said:

Just a heads up that might be useful to some of you. My I-601 was approved on September 8. I'm outside of the US but my son in Florida got the approval by mail yesterday, a few days behind because of Irma. My waiver was filed on August 31, 2016 so It took exactly 1 year and one week to get the approval (373 days) but within the processing times published for the NSC. The next step is to wait for the docs to arrive at my consulate (takes about a week), and for my consulate to email instructions to get my passport stamped with the I-130. There's 2 options at my consulate, they might request that I send a few documents and my passport by mail and they will return it stamped with the visa by mail as well, or they might request that I personally bring them the documents and the passport to be stamped. And that's it, either way they request I should be back in my beloved USA in a few weeks.

My receipt number is LIN1690968145 just in case you want to compare with your own receipt number so you can roughly estimate were you stand at this point. Funny thing is that on the myUSCIS website my case still hasn't been updated as approved. 

My case was a complex one, but I was always very positive and always believed that I would get my waiver approved, never doubted it. Not even in my worst moments did I loose hope or focus. I encourage you guys to do the same, be positive, persevere, be patient and believe in what you want accomplished and it will happen, don't doubt it for a second. And of course never underestimate the importance of an outstanding attorney that is also a compassionate human being that listens to you, makes you feel comfortable and answers your questions clearly, understands your story and tells you straight if he can handle your case or not.

Good luck everyone 

Hello folks. I have good news. Same thing happened to me today. My wife called me today. She received a letter that my case has been approved. I am also outside the U.S so I will be looking to get back in a few weeks God willing. I will contact my US consulate and see what response I get. I checked the USCIS website case status and it has not been updated yet. I filed in June 13, 2016 so it has taken about 1 year 5 months (520 days) to get approval.

My case too was a little bit complicated. It was an I-601/I212 combo. Fellows it was all prayers to God. I will encourage you all who haven’t yet heard anything to remain vigilant, be positive and continue to pray. Our Lord is a living God and He will definitely meet you at your point of need when the time is right🙏🏾

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline
On 11/18/2017 at 2:33 AM, Lrxify said:

Congratulations, the nightmare is over! :) 🇺🇸 5 more years and we'll be citizens of this great nation.

Hello @Lrxify, can you kindly let me know approximately how many Days/Weeks/Months it took USCIS to notify the Consulate in your Country of your I-601 waiver approval on September 8 before they also notified you for the next steps. 

My I-601/I-212 was approved on November 13 and I just received an email reply from my Consulate that they have not yet received an approval notice for my case from USCIS. Thanks. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, Lrxify said:

After receiving the approval notice on september 8, I got an email from my consulate on september 18 with instructions to schedule my follow up appointment. 

Wow, that was quick. I guess it varies from consulate to consulate and that some consulates might receive the notice faster than others. 

My consulate said I should contact USCIS instead because they have not yet received my waiver approval notice from them. I will contact USCIS God willing after a month of my waiver approval (to check if they have yet to send my consulate my approval notice) if I have still not received any notice from my consulate. @Lrxify, thanks for the reply.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hi everyone I just got good news, my husbands I-601 got approved November 20 and the receive date for the i-601 was in October 24 2016. Now waiting for documents to arrive to see if there’s an appt or not. All I have to say is have faith and never have doubt, always keep moving forward and never look back, the past is gone there is no way to change it, right now we’re in the present and I am thankful for getting good news today. I’ll continue praying for those strong ppl that are still waiting god bless you all 🙏. Does anyone know how long we have to wait for the document ? And how long after for an appt? Thank you in advance 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.