meuy99

How does USCIS calculate 90 days- is it calendar days?

24 posts in this topic

Sorry, this may be a dumb question, but nevertheless, I'm curious. Does USCIS count the 90 days as calendar days, for instance, our wedding date is set for July 12, 2014 and I'd really like my fiance to be here on April 12, 2014 because it's my niece's bday and a good chance for him to meet the family. But if I count 90 calendars, he'll have to be here April 14th and not april 12th. But if we're looking at months, 3 months from July 12th would be April 12th. Does that make sense? Of course I'd rather have him miss the birthday party so he can actually be here for the wedding, but if I can have my cake and eat it too, life would just be so much better :)

Can anyone confirm for me? Thanks!

Removal of Conditions

Sept 24 2016 - resent packet (1st attempt arrived 2 days too early due to miscalculation of 90 days)

AOS Timeline

8/9/14- Mailed I-485/131/765 (took a long time to get our Marriage Certificate)

8/15/14- notified via text and email that application was accepted on 8/12 and being processed.

9/8/14- Biometric done; 11/5/14- EAD/I-131 Approved/Card Production

11/5/14- AOS moved to testing/interview; 11/13/14- EAD/AP Combo card REC'D

12/16/14- AOS Interview- APPROVED! 1/3/15- Green card approved.

K1 Timeline

8/16/2013 I-129F Sent via UPS to Lewisville, TX 9/25/2013 Hard copy of NOA 2 received dancin5hr.gif

8/19/2013 I-129F CSC Received 10/29/2013 Got email from NVC with case number (NVC rec'd)

8/20/2013 NOA1 10/30/2013 Left NVC

8/22/2013 Notice that Alien Registration Number was changed 11/04/2013 Consulate Rec'd

8/26/2013 NOA1 Received by mail 11/12/2013 Packet 3 rec'd

9/20/2013 Email notice of NOA2 (31 days)

02/04/2014 After many months of waiting and frustration, FI finally got his birth certificate, passport and police clearance from his home country and we received an SMS today stating that his SA Police Clearance was finalized.

02/18/14 Police Clearance rec'd

2/20/14- Second packet 3 sent to consulate

2/27/14 Followed up with Consulate to get interview date. They schedule an interview for 2/20 when he submitted the application of readiness (what we had to do to extend his NOA2) on 1/21, but they didn't notify us of that appointment, so we missed it.

3/27/14- Interview- APPROVED!!!

4/10/14- FI entered US via LAX and flew to SF 6/14/14- Civil Ceremony

90 calendar days, not 3 months. Sorry.

If he enters without intent to marry and adjust status within 90 calendar days, he will be refused entry and sent on a plane back to Joburg. I know it seems like a technicality, but the rules are very specific, and the system is very bureaucratic.

Edited by Yang-Ja

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Consult the DOS Nonimmigrant K-1 Visa FAQs for more information:

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_2994.html

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Timeline

90 calendar days, not 3 months. Sorry.

If he enters without intent to marry and adjust status within 90 calendar days, he will be refused entry and sent on a plane back to Joburg. I know it seems like a technicality, but the rules are very specific, and the system is very bureaucratic.

I believe that you are not entirely correct.

From the DOS FAQs:

Overview: What Is a K-1 Visa?

The fiancé(e) K-1 nonimmigrant visa is for the foreign-citizen fiancé(e) of a United States (U.S.) citizen. The K-1 visa permits the foreign-citizen fiancé(e) to travel to the United States and marry his or her U.S. citizen sponsor within 90 days of arrival. The foreign-citizen will then apply for adjustment of status to a permanent resident (LPR) with the Department of Homeland Security’s (DHS) U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Because a fiancé(e) visa permits the holder to immigrate to the U.S. and marry a U.S. citizen shortly after arrival in the United States, the fiancé(e) must meet some of the requirements of an immigrant visa. Eligible children of K-1 visa applicants receive K-2 visas.

However, there is no definite time requirement to apply to adjust status (AOS). It is usually recommended by most folks on this site to start the AOS process as soon as possible after marriage. Check out the numerous threads that have been posted on this subject through the use of the forum's Google search function.

Additionally, review the VJ site's K-1 AOS FAQs for more information:

http://www.visajourney.com/faq/k1k2visa-aos.html#6.1

Edited by A&B

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

OP, just to clarify, your wedding is set for July 12, 2014, but you would like your fiance here for April 12, 2014? If this true, you and your fiance need to marry within 90 days of his entry or else you have to file a I-130 concurrently with an I-485 as you did not get married within the 90 days. Am I correct if the above is the situation A&B?

N400 - Naturalization                                                                                                        U.S. Passport

Aug 05, 2018 (Day 1): Applied for Naturalization online                                                  Oct 01, 2019 (Day 1): Sent US Passport Application

Aug 06, 2018 (Day 2): Check Cashed, NOA1 received online                                         Oct 08, 2019 (Day 8 ) : Passport trackable 

Aug 11, 2018 (Day 6): Recvd notification that Biometrics appointment scheduled       Oct 17, 2019 (Day 17) : Received Passport

Aug 13, 2018 (Day 8): Received biometrics appt letter online                                        Oct 21, 2019 (Day 21) : Received Naturalization Cert. back

Aug 28, 2018 (Day 23): Biometrics Appt

May 06, 2019 (Day 274): In Line For Interview

Jun 11, 2019 (Day 311): Interview Date

July 01, 2019 (Day 327) : Oath Ceremony I AM NOW A US CITIZEN!!!!

FROM K-1 PETITION SENT TO OATH CEREMONY WAS ABOUT 7 YEARS 4 MONTHS

After 8 years of marriage divorced October 4, 2021

TO SEE MY FULL TIMELINE GO HERE: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/user/125109-cdnon-usavt/

I believe that you are not entirely correct.

From the DOS FAQs:

However, there is no definite time requirement to apply to adjust status (AOS). It is usually recommended by most folks on this site to start the AOS process as soon as possible after marriage. Check out the numerous threads that have been posted on this subject through the use of the forum's Google search function.

Additionally, review the VJ site's K-1 AOS FAQs for more information:

http://www.visajourney.com/faq/k1k2visa-aos.html#6.1

While very few people ever encounter any trouble by filing for AOS after day 90, the alien is, on paper, unlawfully present on day 91 if AOS has not yet been filed. I don't know how the CBP would handle a K-1 visa holder if it is evident that this person does not intend to AOS within 90 days. In that case, they would be admitting a person whom they know will at some point be unlawfully present.

What is clear, is that the OP's fiance will not be admitted if the wedding is on day 92.

Edited by Yang-Ja

Timeline

Yes, If the marriage occurs after 90 days, then the spousal visa scenario comes into play. Refer to numerous forum threads for details about those , and other situations.

Like many things, the devil is in the details. The DOS FAQs specifically mention that the foreign-finace(e) must get marry the US citizen-sponsor within ninety (90) days of arrival into the US. There is no mention of months, it is counted in days.

It is recommended that the AOS process be started as soon as possible after the marriage. By way of example, you can see from our signature that we submitted our AOS applications/packets approximately eighteen days after we got married. There can be consequences if the AOS process is not initiated promptly. Refer to numerous forum threads for details about those issues.

Thank you all for your responses. No, I do not intend to marry outside of the 90 days, as I stated, I'd rather have him here for the wedding and miss a family function so we can be married within the 90 days time frame. The devil is in the details, so better safe than sorry. Thanks!!!

Removal of Conditions

Sept 24 2016 - resent packet (1st attempt arrived 2 days too early due to miscalculation of 90 days)

AOS Timeline

8/15/14- notified via text and email that application was accepted on 8/12 and being processed.

K1 Timeline

8/16/2013 I-129F Sent via UPS to Lewisville, TX 9/25/2013 Hard copy of NOA 2 received dancin5hr.gif

8/19/2013 I-129F CSC Received 10/29/2013 Got email from NVC with case number (NVC rec'd)

8/22/2013 Notice that Alien Registration Number was changed 11/04/2013 Consulate Rec'd

02/04/2014 After many months of waiting and frustration, FI finally got his birth certificate, passport and police clearance from his home country and we received an SMS today stating that his SA Police Clearance was finalized.

2/27/14 Followed up with Consulate to get interview date. They schedule an interview for 2/20 when he submitted the application of readiness (what we had to do to extend his NOA2) on 1/21, but they didn't notify us of that appointment, so we missed it.

Timeline

While very few people ever encounter any trouble by filing for AOS after the 90, the alien is, on paper, unlawfully present on day 91 if AOS has not yet been filed. I don't know how the CBP would handle a K-1 visa holder if it is evident that this person does not intend to AOS within 90 days.

What is clear, is that the OP's fiance will not be admitted if the wedding is on day 92.

The CBP's initial involvement is somewhat limited to accepting and processing the foreign fiancé(e) with their K-1 visa and associated paperwork at the POE; unless at the POE, the foreign fiancé(e) declares that they do not intend to marry their US citizen/sponsor as required by the terms of the K-1 visa. I am not sure if that has happened very often.

By way of example, at my then-fiancée's POE, she was asked/instructed by the CBP officer to get married within 90 days of arrival and to complete her processing. Check our signature line to see when we started the AOS process.

The CBP will not know if and when the USC-sponsor and the foreign-fiance(e) will get married. That fact will become evident to DHS when the AOS applications/paperwork is submitted to USCIS. The AOS application will likely be denied by USCIS if the marriage occurs after 90 days. Review the pertinent VJ FAQs: http://www.visajourney.com/faq/k1k2visa-aos.html

One possible secondary scenario that could involve the CBP is if the couple had gotten married within the 90-day period, yet had not started the AOS process and the alien-spouse's Form I-94 had expired, and subsequently was stopped by a CBP officer, at a roving inspection station (there are forum threads of those types of operations occurring along the southern US border area), the alien-spouse may be detained by the CBP for further processing, that may include deportation. There are numerous variations of this scenario, the end result is usually more trouble and hassles for the couple.

Edited by A&B

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Thank you all for your responses. No, I do not intend to marry outside of the 90 days, as I stated, I'd rather have him here for the wedding and miss a family function so we can be married within the 90 days time frame. The devil is in the details, so better safe than sorry. Thanks!!!

You could have come in April, then get married at the courthouse just to satisfy the obligation to marry within 90 days, then have your wedding ceremony as planned, just no need for the license at the wedding since you will already be legally wed.

Also, as to the above stuff about being sent home, the CBP would not know if the K-1 entrant would be marrying for sure in the 90 days, and there is no deadline or requirement to also file for AOS within those same 90 days, so there is no issue about being sent back home upon entry because of that. And, if they married after the 90 days, they could still file for AOS, but would need to file the I-130 in order to be eligible.

Edited by Jay-Kay

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cyprus
Timeline

Sorry, this may be a dumb question, but nevertheless, I'm curious. Does USCIS count the 90 days as calendar days, for instance, our wedding date is set for July 12, 2014 and I'd really like my fiance to be here on April 12, 2014 because it's my niece's bday and a good chance for him to meet the family. But if I count 90 calendars, he'll have to be here April 14th and not april 12th. But if we're looking at months, 3 months from July 12th would be April 12th. Does that make sense? Of course I'd rather have him miss the birthday party so he can actually be here for the wedding, but if I can have my cake and eat it too, life would just be so much better smile.png

Can anyone confirm for me? Thanks!

Yes, 90 days not three months.

Spoiler

I-129F Sent : 3-31-2014, NOA2: 4-6-2014

NVC Received : some dinkelsberry yehoo in the house of clingons send our petition to the wrong consulate.

Consulate Received : July 30,2014 Transfer to right embassy complete.

Interview Date : Oct 22, 2014

Interview Result : AP , requesting another PC (not expired) and certified divorce decree (was submitted)Stokes interview via phone for petitioner 4 hrs after interview.

Oct 23 email notification visa approved.
Visa Received : Nov. 3 , 2014 VISA IN HAND.

US Entry : Nov. 21, 2014

Marriage : Dec 27, 2014

AOS send : May 12, 2015, received May 14, 2015 USPS priority

Email &text : May 18, 2015, check cashed May 19,2015, return receipt May 21, 2015 stamped USCIS Lockbox, NOA1 (3x) May 22,2015

Biometrics : June 1, 2015 letter received for appointment June 8, 2015, successful walk-in June 1, 2015

RFE : June 12, 2015 for income not meeting guideline. Income does ( ! ) exceed guideline.

RFE response : June 26, 2015 returned with a boat load full of financial evidence.

UPDATE: July 5, 2015 updated on all 3 cases, RFE received June 30, 2015.

Service request : Aug 12, 2015, letter received that it will be processed within 90 days from receipt of RFE.

UPDATE: Aug 24, 2015, EAD card being produced/ordered. ( 102 days from AOS receipt day and 55 days from RFE response received.) Thank you Jesus !

Emails : Aug 24, 2015, EAD approved, EAD card ordered.

I-797 EAD/AP approval notice received : Aug 27, 2015

EAD/AP combo card mailed : Aug 27, 2015, EAD/AP combo card received: Aug 31, 2015

Renewal application send for EAD/AP : May 31,2016 (AOS pending over 1 year). Received June 2, 2016,Notice date June7, 2016, emails,texts, NOA1 hard copy

Service request for pending AOS April 21, 2016, case not assigned yet.
Service request for pending AOS June 14, 2016, tier 2 said performing background checks.
Expedite request for EAD/AP Aug 3, 2016, Aug10 notification >request was received, assigned, completed. RFE letter requesting evidence for expedite, docs faxed Aug18

*Service request for I-485 Aug 3, 2016, Aug11 notification> request was assigned. Service request Dec 2, 2016.
AOS Interview letter received Aug 12, 2016

AOS Interview September 21, 2016.

Second Biometrics appointment letters received for EAD and AOS on Aug 15, 2016 for Aug 17 ( 2 day notice).

Second Biometrics completed Aug 17, 2016

Third Biometrics appointment letter received Aug 19, 2016 for Sept. 1, 2016. WTH ?!

EAD/AP (renewal) approval Aug 22, 2016, NOA2 received Aug 25, 2016

Renewal EAD in production notification text and online, expedite successful 4 days after RFE request response was faxed, Aug25mailed,Aug29received.

Sept. 21 Interview, 2 hour interview, we were separated and asked about 50 questions each for an hour each. IO was firm but professional, some smiles.
Several service requests made, contacted Senator and Ombudsman. Background checks still pending.
July 21, 2017 HOME VISIT.  Went well. Topic thread in AOS forum.
Waiting to skip ROC and get 10 yr GC due to over 2 year while pending AOS
AOS APPROVED Oct. 4, 2017 * Green card in hand Oct 13, 2017 !!!!!

First K1 denied after 16 month of AP. Refiled. We are a couple since 2009. Not a sprint but a matter of endurance.

NM i understand the question now... LOL /doh

Could you ask for your niece's birthday party to be thrown the weekend after so that your fiance would be able to be there to meet family before the wedding?

Edited by NLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

One other option would be to have him come for the family function, get legally married civilly within the 90 days and still have the ceremony as scheduled.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

remember that your day of entry is day 1 and day 90 is 89 days later Also remember that the day the marriage is recorded is the one that counts not always the day the wedding take place

Edited by NigeriaorBust

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

The CBP's initial involvement is somewhat limited to accepting and processing the foreign fiancé(e) with their K-1 visa and associated paperwork at the POE; unless at the POE, the foreign fiancé(e) declares that they do not intend to marry their US citizen/sponsor as required by the terms of the K-1 visa. I am not sure if that has happened very often.

By way of example, at my then-fiancée's POE, she was asked/instructed by the CBP officer to get married within 90 days of arrival and to complete her processing. Check our signature line to see when we started the AOS process.

The CBP will not know if and when the USC-sponsor and the foreign-fiance(e) will get married. That fact will become evident to DHS when the AOS applications/paperwork is submitted to USCIS. The AOS application will likely be denied by USCIS if the marriage occurs after 90 days. Review the pertinent VJ FAQs: http://www.visajourney.com/faq/k1k2visa-aos.html

One possible secondary scenario that could involve the CBP is if the couple had gotten married within the 90-day period, yet had not started the AOS process and the alien-spouse's Form I-94 had expired, and subsequently was stopped by a CBP officer, at a roving inspection station (there are forum threads of those types of operations occurring along the southern US border area), the alien-spouse may be detained by the CBP for further processing, that may include deportation. There are numerous variations of this scenario, the end result is usually more trouble and hassles for the couple.

You could have come in April, then get married at the courthouse just to satisfy the obligation to marry within 90 days, then have your wedding ceremony as planned, just no need for the license at the wedding since you will already be legally wed.

Also, as to the above stuff about being sent home, the CBP would not know if the K-1 entrant would be marrying for sure in the 90 days, and there is no deadline or requirement to also file for AOS within those same 90 days, so there is no issue about being sent back home upon entry because of that. And, if they married after the 90 days, they could still file for AOS, but would need to file the I-130 in order to be eligible.

NM i understand the question now... LOL /doh

Could you ask for your niece's birthday party to be thrown the weekend after so that your fiance would be able to be there to meet family before the wedding?

Move an 8 year's bday to accommodate old people- the kid would have a fit! lol.

One other option would be to have him come for the family function, get legally married civilly within the 90 days and still have the ceremony as scheduled.

remember that your day of entry is day 1 and day 90 is 89 days later Also remember that the day the marriage is recorded is the one that counts not always the day the wedding take place

Thanks for the suggestions everyone about getting married civilly first. I want to have everything done in one day so that when we are being introduced for the first time as Mr&Mrs or have our first dance as a married couple, it'll actually be our first time. It's silly and perhaps because I'm a woman, but it just wouldn't feel as special to me if we have the civil ceremony and reception two different dates. Otherwise, we'd have the ceremony once he arrives and wait until he is working and able to help me save for the wedding so I can have the wedding I imagine, but alas, my brain seem not to be practical anymore and my heart wants it all done at the same time and the heart wants what the heart wants.

Removal of Conditions

AOS Timeline

K1 Timeline

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.