VolcarSS

US Government Shutdown

42 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

My depression is growing as I'm waiting in this hell for the visa interview. Of course it has to be after October 1. F'ing politicians can't do anything right and are going to destroy people's lives. Really tired of everything and makes me want to just give up.

Hang in there, it will all be worth it in the end :) This is what I keep saying to myself when I feel like giving up!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I don't know, if the US is 16 TRILLION $$ in debt, and need to borrow MORE just to offer me $340/month single health insurance dancin5hr.gif maybe I should just go live in Ukraine instead.

That's just the way the US is becoming. Tax the people more and more, and forget that the people need the services the taxes are supposed to be paying for.

Actually that's the 15th November and if you knew anything about how the US Congress works, the Senate passed it but because it was originally a House bill so now the House has to approve it for it to take effect. Whether they will or not is debatable. So it's still in the air.

"What's yours is mine!"

I'm no expert, but my guess is the NVC, because they are contractors, will still work. DOS and the embassies will not, though, except for critical functions (in other words, no visa interviews or issuance).

I work for the government and all contractors will report to work as well as some government workers if they are exempt from shutdown.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Malaysia
Timeline

I work for the government and all contractors will report to work as well as some government workers if they are exempt from shutdown.

Unless we get a stop order! I work for a contractor and we're going to keep working unless told otherwise.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

I just spoke to a DOS rep while trying to track down where our petition currently is. She says they do not know how the shutdown, if it happens will effect them. It may be she can't tell us anything yet, or they honestly don't know yet.

I think the majority of the general public is outraged enough and they're just posturing, and there will be some last minute save at the buzzer, or it will only be for a few days at most.

Filed: IR-5 Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I thought that all VJ members that are concerned about the impending US Government shutdown might find this informative, http://www.state.gov/m/rls/2013/214880.htm

Edited by VolcarSS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I am crossing the border tomorrow morning, will the border guards/customs guys shut down? Can someone tell me ASAP? If there is even a CHANCE they will not be able to let me in, I am in Winnipeg tonight, and we can leave right now and cross ASAP!

Mark

Timeline

AIR TRAVEL

Federal air traffic controllers would remain on the job and airport screeners would keep funneling passengers through security checkpoints. Federal inspectors would continue enforcing safety rules.

INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL

The State Department would continue processing foreign applications for visas and US applications for passports, since fees are collected to finance those services. Embassies and consulates overseas would continue to provide services to American citizens.

HOMELAND SECURITY

The majority of the Department of Homeland Securitys employees are expected to stay on the job, including uniformed agents and officers at the countrys borders and ports of entry, members of the Coast Guard, Transportation Security Administration officers, Secret Service personnel and other law enforcement agents and officers. US Citizenship and Immigration Services employees would continue to process green card applications.

Source: BostonGlobe

Edited by immihelp99

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I am crossing the border tomorrow morning, will the border guards/customs guys shut down? Can someone tell me ASAP? If there is even a CHANCE they will not be able to let me in, I am in Winnipeg tonight, and we can leave right now and cross ASAP!

Mark

Border/customs patrol will not be affected by Govt. Shutdown...

USCIS (114 days)
2013-01-25 - Sent I-130
2013-01-28 - NOA1 (case at MSC)
2013-05-22 - NOA2

NVC (92 days)
2013-07-02 - NVC received case
2013-07-02 - IIN assigned
2013-07-09 - DS3032 email sent
2013-07-15 - AOS bill invoiced and paid
2013-07-16 - AOS packet sent

2013-07-23 - DS3032 accepted
2013-07-24 - IV bill invoiced and paid
2013-07-24 - IV packet sent

2013-08-09 - AOS Packet Checklist

2013-08-14 - AOS Packet Checklist Received by NVC

2013-08-19 - IV Package Accepted

2013-09-11 - AOS Package accepted
2013-09-11 - Case complete

2013-09-18 - Case complete Status Email from NVC
2013-10-01 - Interview scheduled

Consulate
2013-10-07 - Medical
2013-11-06 - Interview (Approved)
2013-11-08 - Visa in hand
2013-11-15 - POE (California)

Timeline

The changes I read was the military getting delayed paychecks, government loans being delayed, and snap/wic benefits can run for 2 weeks. Immigration will/should run as usual.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.