digitalvx

Social Security Card Before Marriage or After?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

Should we check "Yes" on the DS230 to have a SSN initiated or should we get married and then go to Social Security Ofc and apply with last name already updated?

Have not been able to find clear answers and will call SSN ofc but figured I'd ask you all.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

If married - Yes, you can check the option on the DS-230 form and they will send one after arrival in the US. If you choose this option you need to make sure you have added your spouses name at the post office as they do not always get delivered if the post office was not updated. You can also go to the Social Security office if you prefer, but you may need to make sure you wait a few days for everything to be in the system.

Edited by MedRoni

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

It doesn't work for K-1. You will have to go to a SSA office to apply for one. Some employees will let you apply with your married name, but some won't because that's not the name that match the DHS infos (you are in their system with the name on your K-1). Best is to apply now, before marriage. What is important is to get a SSN, this number will then never change. You can go back to update your SS card later, when you get your EAD/green card (file AOS and EAD paperwork with your married name, if that's the one you want to use).

Edited by didopage

K-1 Visa Timeline AOS Timeline

- Aug 31st, 2011 - Mailed I-129F package - May 29th, 2012 - Mailed AOS/EAD/AP package

- Apr 13th, 2012 - Visa received - Aug 24th, 2012 - Green Card received

ROC Timeline

- May 19th, 2014 - Mailed ROC package to CSC

- Aug 8th, 2014 - Green Card received

N-400 Timeline

- Dec 29th, 2021 - Filed online. Got notice that biometrics will be reused.

- Now waiting...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

It doesn't work for K-1. You will have to go to a SSA office to apply for one. Some employees will let you apply with your married name, but some won't because that's not the name that match the DHS infos (you are in their system with the name on your K-1). Best is to apply now, before marriage. What is important is to get a SSN, this number will then never change. You can go back to update your SS card later, when you get your EAD/green card (file AOS and EAD paperwork with your married name, if that's the one you want to use).

I agree to apply now. You will need it for work and other things. you can always change the name. We waited till after we were married and the SS employee told us the name was not in the system. Now we have to wait for AOS. I can't even make her beneficiary of my 401K until we have it.

Edited by Wariza

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Oh..Wariza makes sense. Luckily for us, we got her SS card soon after her arrival. Then got married and resubmitted for a name change on her SS card with proof of marriage.

May 2010 Visited Cynthia in the Philippines
08/10/2010 I-129F mailed to Lewisville, TX address (used Express Mail via USPS)
08/12/2010 Arrived at Dallas location and signed by B McBride
08/14/2010 NOA1 (via txt message & email)
08/17/2010 Touched (check clears)
08/18/2010 Receive NOA1 hardcopy
Nov 2010 Visited Cynthia in the Philippines...Hoping my next visit will be to bring her back with me...
01/26/2011 On January 26, 2011, we mailed you a notice that we have approved this I129F PETITION FOR FIANCE(E). (NOA2
02/03/2011 Received NOA2 hard copy in mail
03/28/2011 Interview Date scheduled
03/17/2011 Interview Cancelled by SLEC due to "possible" findings on x-ray
03/25/2011 Skin test negative, smear test negative for TB, BUT still mandatory sputum test delay 8 Weeks
05/17/2011 Sputum results NEGATIVE Whoohoo...but I think the x-ray results need some work or some better way of detecting it
06/01/2011 Interview and VISA APPROVED!!!!
06/08/2011 Visa Received!!!
06/13/2011 USA Bound!!!
06/14/2011 Reunited smile.png
07/23/2011 Married

10/12/2012 I-485 and EAD

12/10/2012 Biometrics/Fingerprints

12/24/2012 EAD card arrives

06/26/2013 filed Service Request

08/21/2013 AOS approved

08/29/2013 10 YEAR Green Cards Delivered!

Timeline

I agree to apply now. You will need it for work and other things. you can always change the name. We waited till after we were married and the SS employee told us the name was not in the system. Now we have to wait for AOS. I can't even make her beneficiary of my 401K until we have it.

Even if you are not yet in the system, they can do a manual verification. It happened to me 3 times (when you go right after receiving your EAD/GC, your status update also takes time to show up in their system), got my SS card 1-2 weeks later each time. Edited by didopage

- Aug 31st, 2011 - Mailed I-129F package - May 29th, 2012 - Mailed AOS/EAD/AP package

ROC Timeline

N-400 Timeline

- Now waiting...

Timeline

Or if you try with your married name but doesn't work because that doesn't match the infos in the system, you can still apply with your maiden name, and update your name later, with EAD or GC.

ROC Timeline

N-400 Timeline

- Now waiting...

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Here is an interesting guide from Darnell, a VJ veteran:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/405546-ssn-howto/

HTH

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Please learn from my mistake here:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/442017-ssn-told-i-cant-apply-for-one-as-married-on-k1-visa/

and apply for an SSN before you get married. You need to leave it about 10 days after entering the US.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.