VanessaTony

N-400 April 2013 Filers

1,340 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Review for Oath Ceremony - Des Moines, Iowa - Wednesday September 25, 2013 @ 9:00am.

Because the Oath was scheduled for 9am we planned to arrive at 8:30am which meant up at 4:30am and leaving at 5:30am (early!) Thankfully it was gorgeous weather which made for a great drive there and back (albeit LONG!)

When we arrived there were quite a few people already in the parking garage so it wasn't until level 3 that we found a park. We arrived close to 8:30am and walked the short distance to the building.

There was a bit of a line at the security desk/metal detector. He asked us to get ID out to be ready when it was our turn. I had my GC out and my Oath letter.

We went to room 215 and I handed my letter to the officer as well as my ID. He directed me "around to corner to where the line is forming". This was actually a desk with 2 female USCIS officers and a stack of Naturalisation Certificates between them with a little piece of paper with a number on it paper-clipped to each certificate. I could see mine on top with the number 2 but they looked you up by your name which was alphabetically (by surname) printed on a list.

I handed the lady my Oath letter (I had filled in the back but had not signed it) and she asked me to sign it. I handed over my 2 GC's and my EAD. I probably could have kept my old GC and EAD but I had my (probably crazy) reasons for giving them all over. I did keep my AP though (they expired a LONG time ago tongue.png). She handed me a black and white photocopy of my Naturalisation Certificate and asked me to sign it the same as I had signed the photo (which was my signature from the interview), and then she then handed me the actual one and told me this is the one I would be given at the ceremony and told me to sign it the same. She then handed me the number from the top (#2) and told me this was my seat number and we could go in now or we could stay in the big waiting room.

When it was close to 9am (maybe 8:50am, I didn't check) we started going in to the room. It was a small-ish rectangular room with a stage set up against the far long wall and flags either side (2 American flags on the left, and the Iowa and a government one on the right). Our seats were in the middle of the room and "guest" seats on each of the other walls (excluding the stage wall). On our seats was a letter sized envelope with the number we had been given on it and a little American flag. We sat and waited for what seemed about 10 minues. A man came in at one point and without saying anything started playing a video about citizenship. It was just a song playing with images and quotes from other Naturalised Citizens on it. It played twice before the man came back and started the ceremony at about 9:15am/9:30am. Some people didn't arrive until after 9am, and one gentleman actually missed the Oath but was permitted to get his Naturalisation Certificate with the rest of us and took the Oath by himself afterwards.

The USCIS man came back and introduced himself as the Acting Director for the Des Moines Field Office and had us all stand for the star-spangled banner, which was the audio of a man singing and video of the words. We then sat down and he told us that there were 43 people from 29 different countries. He asked us to stand when he said our country. I was the first and only for Australia and as I went to sit back down he told me to remain standing and once everyone was up we would take the Oath so I stood again (Azure was United Kingdom but I didn't know that at the time).

After everyone was up we said the Oath and he said "Congrats you are now American Citizens!". (This is where I get a little hazy on the order). We took our seats and he explained that we could petition relatives and mentioned a few other things like getting a passport. We watched a video where Obama welcome us as American's, then audio of the song "Proud to be an American" with video of the lyrics and some American themed photos. He called us up by name to collect our Certificates. Poor guy struggled with a few names! We then all stood for the Pledge of Allegiance and that was the end of the ceremony.

It took about 1/2 hour for the entire ceremony and then we stood around taking photos in front of the flags etc. This was when Azure came over to say hi. Being the only Vanessa from Australia helped her ID me smile.png Tony and I talked to her and her daughter for a bit, took some photos and that was it!

----

Today (Thursday) I took my certificate to work where I scanned it, and then took it a copy shop and had 2 colour copies made (one laminated). I called the DOT to find out about updating my license and was told there's no urgency but I will need to take the certificate at some point to update my status and get a new license. They have REAL ID licenses in Iowa now so I needed more info that I had with me (like proof of address, SS card etc). I planned on going to the SSA but it closed at 3pm and that's when I finish work so I'll need to take a day/afternoon off to do it all I think.

So there you go smile.png All done smile.png After spending so many years telling people "NO, I'm not a citizen, don't say that!" I now am... weird. I won't apply for my passport and passport card for another couple of weeks. I also plan on either getting a safety deposit box or getting a fireproof suitcase or something for our important documents (marriage certs, birth certs, naturalisation certs, passports...). Almost done! Will feel "done" after the passport and SSA/DOT update. No longer have to think about it :)

Timeline

CONGRATULATIONS VANESSA!!!

Married February 20, 2010

Permanent Resident April 22, 2010

Naturalized Citizen January 14, 2014

Proud Dual Citizen of Australia and the USA!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Anguilla
Timeline

Review for Oath Ceremony - Des Moines, Iowa - Wednesday September 25, 2013 @ 9:00am.

Because the Oath was scheduled for 9am we planned to arrive at 8:30am which meant up at 4:30am and leaving at 5:30am (early!) Thankfully it was gorgeous weather which made for a great drive there and back (albeit LONG!)

When we arrived there were quite a few people already in the parking garage so it wasn't until level 3 that we found a park. We arrived close to 8:30am and walked the short distance to the building.

There was a bit of a line at the security desk/metal detector. He asked us to get ID out to be ready when it was our turn. I had my GC out and my Oath letter.

We went to room 215 and I handed my letter to the officer as well as my ID. He directed me "around to corner to where the line is forming". This was actually a desk with 2 female USCIS officers and a stack of Naturalisation Certificates between them with a little piece of paper with a number on it paper-clipped to each certificate. I could see mine on top with the number 2 but they looked you up by your name which was alphabetically (by surname) printed on a list.

I handed the lady my Oath letter (I had filled in the back but had not signed it) and she asked me to sign it. I handed over my 2 GC's and my EAD. I probably could have kept my old GC and EAD but I had my (probably crazy) reasons for giving them all over. I did keep my AP though (they expired a LONG time ago tongue.png). She handed me a black and white photocopy of my Naturalisation Certificate and asked me to sign it the same as I had signed the photo (which was my signature from the interview), and then she then handed me the actual one and told me this is the one I would be given at the ceremony and told me to sign it the same. She then handed me the number from the top (#2) and told me this was my seat number and we could go in now or we could stay in the big waiting room.

When it was close to 9am (maybe 8:50am, I didn't check) we started going in to the room. It was a small-ish rectangular room with a stage set up against the far long wall and flags either side (2 American flags on the left, and the Iowa and a government one on the right). Our seats were in the middle of the room and "guest" seats on each of the other walls (excluding the stage wall). On our seats was a letter sized envelope with the number we had been given on it and a little American flag. We sat and waited for what seemed about 10 minues. A man came in at one point and without saying anything started playing a video about citizenship. It was just a song playing with images and quotes from other Naturalised Citizens on it. It played twice before the man came back and started the ceremony at about 9:15am/9:30am. Some people didn't arrive until after 9am, and one gentleman actually missed the Oath but was permitted to get his Naturalisation Certificate with the rest of us and took the Oath by himself afterwards.

The USCIS man came back and introduced himself as the Acting Director for the Des Moines Field Office and had us all stand for the star-spangled banner, which was the audio of a man singing and video of the words. We then sat down and he told us that there were 43 people from 29 different countries. He asked us to stand when he said our country. I was the first and only for Australia and as I went to sit back down he told me to remain standing and once everyone was up we would take the Oath so I stood again (Azure was United Kingdom but I didn't know that at the time).

After everyone was up we said the Oath and he said "Congrats you are now American Citizens!". (This is where I get a little hazy on the order). We took our seats and he explained that we could petition relatives and mentioned a few other things like getting a passport. We watched a video where Obama welcome us as American's, then audio of the song "Proud to be an American" with video of the lyrics and some American themed photos. He called us up by name to collect our Certificates. Poor guy struggled with a few names! We then all stood for the Pledge of Allegiance and that was the end of the ceremony.

It took about 1/2 hour for the entire ceremony and then we stood around taking photos in front of the flags etc. This was when Azure came over to say hi. Being the only Vanessa from Australia helped her ID me smile.png Tony and I talked to her and her daughter for a bit, took some photos and that was it!

----

Today (Thursday) I took my certificate to work where I scanned it, and then took it a copy shop and had 2 colour copies made (one laminated). I called the DOT to find out about updating my license and was told there's no urgency but I will need to take the certificate at some point to update my status and get a new license. They have REAL ID licenses in Iowa now so I needed more info that I had with me (like proof of address, SS card etc). I planned on going to the SSA but it closed at 3pm and that's when I finish work so I'll need to take a day/afternoon off to do it all I think.

So there you go smile.png All done smile.png After spending so many years telling people "NO, I'm not a citizen, don't say that!" I now am... weird. I won't apply for my passport and passport card for another couple of weeks. I also plan on either getting a safety deposit box or getting a fireproof suitcase or something for our important documents (marriage certs, birth certs, naturalisation certs, passports...). Almost done! Will feel "done" after the passport and SSA/DOT update. No longer have to think about it :)

I'm not even gonna bother to write a review!!! Hahahaha!!! Yours is exactly how my experience was, except, I was sitting in the back, excitedly asking every female near me, "excuse me, is your name Vanessa?" Lol lol

I was so hoping they'd announce me as being from Anguilla so that I could've stood out when everyone else was seated, but by the time they got to "United Kingdom", everyone was standing and it was difficult to see everyone. I knew there was no way, you'd realize who Azure was...so I had to contain myself until after the ceremony to greet you!

I'm thrilled that I was able to share that special day with a friend from visa journey! Pretty Awesome!!

Hope we meet again sometime...

I'll be making my copies of certificate tomorrow. I went by SS office this afternoon too and they were closed. Will have to try and get it done sometime next week.

Edited by Azure30

2 year Cond-GC anniv.: 07-15-12

I-751 mailed: 06-23-12

I-751rec'd: 06-25-12 @ 21:30 hrs

NOA dated 06-25-12

Check cashed: 06-26-12

Filed service request for non-receipt of biometrics appt: 07-30-12

Biometrics appt. notice received: 08-09-12

Biometrics appt. scheduled: 08-24-12

Biometrics taken (walk-in) 08-23-12

Approved: 02-19-13

Card Ordered: 02-21-13

Card Mailed: 02-25-13

Card Rec'd: 02-28-13

N-400 Filing window opens: 04-16-13

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

N-400 mailed: 04-16-13

N-400 received: 04-18-13

NOA Priority date(when they entered it into system) 04-18-13

Check cashed: 04-23-13

NOA Recv'd: 04-26-13

Biometrics: 05-13-13

Interview: 07-29-13 APPROVED

Oath: 09-25-13

Timeline

Congrats to you both Azure and Vanessa!

Thank you JamericanLove!!!

NOA dated 06-25-12

Filed: Timeline

After all the calls Inquiring about my interview letter I finally got a letter in the mail saying that my case was closed because it was considered abandoned and I needed to send a letter explaining why I didn't go to the interview if I wanted my case reopened, what the heck!!??? I sent a letter explaining why and attaching the different inquire numbers I was given every 2weeks/1 month that I called Uscis and I was told that everything was okay and that I was gonna receive a letter in the mail any day. I'm so upset!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Oh, I'm sorry, how frustrating.

Keep your chin up, interview letter is on the way!

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Congrats to all!

What will you do with spare time now?happy.png

01/2006 - Filed k1(1st time)

04/2006 - Interview (1st time) denied

Waited, waited...... no review

06/2009 - Filed k1 (2nd time)

09/2009 - NOA 2 approved

12/2009 - Interview (2nd time) APPROVED! VISA ISSUED

02/2010 - Arrived USA

04/2010 - Married

AOS Timeline

4/19/2010-Sent to Chicago Lockbox

4/26/2010-Received texts and emails 7th day

4/30/2010-Received NOA's(Hardcopies) 11th day

5/3/2010-Received ASC appointment notice(mailed 4/29/2010)14th day

5/7/2010-Walk-in Biometrics done(2 weeks earlier)18th day

5/13/2010-Case transferred to CSC

6/2/2010- Case received/resumed at CSC

6/18,6/22,6/23 AOS touches

6/28/2010- EAD production and touch on AP

6/29/2010-AOS APPROVED

7/2/2010- 2nd update on EAD production and touched on AP....

7/6/2010- Received "Welcome Letter" and AP document

7/12/2010-Received GREEN CARD and EAD

greencard.jpg

Timeline

Congrats to all!

What will you do with spare time now?happy.png

File for my mother!! I just love the immigration office!! Can you tell? Maybe I should find employment there!!!!

Edited by Azure30

NOA dated 06-25-12

Timeline

Well I don't know about anyone else but no passport for me until the government reopens. Certainly hope I have no need or urgent travel!

Timeline

Well I don't know about anyone else but no passport for me until the government reopens. Certainly hope I have no need or urgent travel!

Me too. I got to the SS Office yesterday, went to driver license today, but it was packed. Will try them tomorrow.

NOA dated 06-25-12

Timeline

Me too. I got to the SS Office yesterday, went to driver license today, but it was packed. Will try them tomorrow.

I went to the SSA but it apparently closed at 3pm (and that's when I finish work).

I called the DMV and they said I didn't need to urgently update it, but she reminded me about the REAL ID licenses and I need a few things to get my license converted to a REAL ID one (SS card, mail with address on it, naturalization certificate etc).

Edited by VanessaTony

Timeline

Hmm...I never knew you had to go to the SSA or the DMV, why is that? I mean my driver's license doesn't expire until 2017 and your SSN is good for life right?

Can someone shed light on it for me?

You know, in case USCIS wants to give me and Nimaan good news any time soon.

USCIS
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011

Citizenship

Waited...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Hmm...I never knew you had to go to the SSA or the DMV, why is that? I mean my driver's license doesn't expire until 2017 and your SSN is good for life right?

Can someone shed light on it for me?

You know, in case USCIS wants to give me and Nimaan good news any time soon.

You're currently in the system as a LPR. When you become a USC all systems must be updated with that change. Of course there's no automatic way that is done so we have to go with proof (certificate or US passport) and have everything updated ourselves.

I hope you hear from them soon!

NATURALIZATION
07-03-2013: Eligible to file
07-22-2013: Application sent (Delivered: 07-24-13)
08-05-2013: NOA1 received (Priority date: 07-24-13, Check cashed: 07-29-13)
08-22-2013: Biometrics (Received: 08-06-13, Walk-in: 08-08-13)
09-03-2013: Inline for interview (Yellow letter received: 10-23-13)
11-04-2013: Interview scheduled (Received: 11-09-13)
12-12-2013: Interview (Approved)
01-03-2014: Oath ceremony, passport application and passport received

DONE!

Timeline

You're currently in the system as a LPR. When you become a USC all systems must be updated with that change. Of course there's no automatic way that is done so we have to go with proof (certificate or US passport) and have everything updated ourselves.

I hope you hear from them soon!

I understand it has to be updated, but why can't I do that when the license expires?

USCIS
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011

Citizenship

Waited...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.