VanessaTony

N-400 April 2013 Filers

1,340 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Tunisia
Timeline

I want to remove some information from the post above, but am no longer allowed to edit it after just half an hour. Can a moderator help? Is it possible to delete the post or let me edit it? It contains too much case-specific information and my case is still ongoing. Thanks.

I'm sooooooo sorry of what you had to go through with the IO. That's not how you are supposed to be treated and the interview letter does not let you know you should bring copies of YOUR passport. Maybe the IO was trying to get the best information (in the negative way like lies) from you that's why he turned around so angry instantly, please forgive me if I made you feel like I said that you are lieing but IO wanna do that so they feel comfortable. I don't think that you will be denied iff YOU are sure you didn't break any rules. Good luck to you and you will hear the good news soon.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I'm sorry about your experience OTTA. Did the IO give you a paper with your current status at the end of the interview? Hopefully everything is sorted out quickly and you get your approval soon.

Is there a new rule that we must bring copies of our passport pages to the interview now?

NATURALIZATION
07-03-2013: Eligible to file
07-22-2013: Application sent (Delivered: 07-24-13)
08-05-2013: NOA1 received (Priority date: 07-24-13, Check cashed: 07-29-13)
08-22-2013: Biometrics (Received: 08-06-13, Walk-in: 08-08-13)
09-03-2013: Inline for interview (Yellow letter received: 10-23-13)
11-04-2013: Interview scheduled (Received: 11-09-13)
12-12-2013: Interview (Approved)
01-03-2014: Oath ceremony, passport application and passport received

DONE!

Timeline

Jamericanlove and Silkafi:

IO complained about not having a copy of my passport (while having the original on the table), then decided to make copies of my driver's license and green card (copies of which I did have), but not my passport. One of the many question marks in that interview.

I got the N652 form with interview "results," specifying "USCIS will send you a written decision about your application." I know this is not uncommon, but the IO verbally indicated he may want more information. Based on his reaction to the fact that I only had some bank statements and bills from the last few months, and no lease (for a very good reason), I'm expecting an RFE. I only hope it comes soon, because the wait is unpleasant, as we all know. Worrying about mail delivery and all that...

I have no idea why my interview went like this, compared to the majority that seem to be much smoother. Who knows, maybe USCIS digs really deep into our histories and someone didn't like my educational background, political or religious beliefs. I guess I'll wait a month or so and start calling if I don't hear anything back :-(

Edited by otta

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Tunisia
Timeline

IO complained about not having a copy of my passport (while having the original on the table), then decided to make copies of my driver's license and green card (copies of which I did have), but not my passport. One of the many question marks in that interview.

I got the N652 form with interview "results," specifying "USCIS will send you a written decision about your application." I know this is not uncommon, but the IO verbally indicated he may want more information. Based on his reaction to the fact that I only had some bank statements and bills from the last few months, and no lease (for a very good reason), I'm expecting an RFE. I only hope it comes soon, because the wait is unpleasant, as we all know. Worrying about mail delivery and all that...

I have no idea why my interview went like this, compared to the majority that seem to be much smoother. Who knows, maybe USCIS digs really deep into our histories and someone didn't like my educational background, political or religious beliefs. I guess I'll wait a month or so and start calling if I don't hear anything back :-(

That's discrimination and they can't do that. Maybe IO wanted to make sure you are still living with your husband. I honestly don't see why the IO reacted that way toward you even though you forgot to include the lease. I mean we are human beings as well we forget unfortunately lol. it's okay you will hear good news soon even though you didn't have good experience I've seen people who have gone through worse then your experience and they passed. Don't stress it to much.

Timeline

I'm not claiming discrimination, I'm just puzzled by the IO's conduct. Clearly, *something* about me or my husband is not to USCIS's or the IO's liking, and I have no way of knowing what it is.

Importantly though, I did not "forget" anything. I brought everything that was requested on the interview letter (passports, marriage & birth certificates, green card etc.), and more. There was nothing demanding further relationship evidence listed on the letter, but I still brought some (bills, account statements), because I'd read on this site that sometimes the request is made. I understand that the IO wants to make sure my husband and I are in a bonafide relationship, but it's unreasonable to accuse me of failing to meet "the burden of proof [that] is on the applicant" for not bringing a lease that was not listed among needed documents on the interview letter.

Anyway, all I can do is wait and start printing more bills etc., because I sense an RFE is coming (hopefully soon). Thanks for the encouragement. I think the lesson is to really bring in EVERY piece of paper you can think of, even if such requests aren't usually made at this stage anymore.

That's discrimination and they can't do that. Maybe IO wanted to make sure you are still living with your husband. I honestly don't see why the IO reacted that way toward you even though you forgot to include the lease. I mean we are human beings as well we forget unfortunately lol. it's okay you will hear good news soon even though you didn't have good experience I've seen people who have gone through worse then your experience and they passed. Don't stress it to much.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Otta:

Do not overstress yourself, just a lil is fine.

the IO was just having a bad day or maybe he has cranky nature, It was just you bad luck , just like those ppl who have been interviewed by him and future applicants, to be interviewd by him. Out of 100 IO's 10 or 15 are like that, everywhere.

I can relate to your situation, because i had same type of IO just like yours, maybe worse. My interview ended just like yours and he sent me RFE and the list was Vague. things like i couldnt go back and get those papers. Offcourse i am not time traveller. I sent him what I had and explaination, but during interview he preferred Life insurance where my spouse is listed a beneficiary.

Long story short, he denied my application, I appealed it, and during appeal I told them , WE CAN NOT AFFORD LIFE INSURANCE, and i am not gonna make proofs just for the sake of proving bona fide marriage. anyone can do that. The Officer who heard the appeal had a life, and he listened to my concerns as to why i dont have what i should have, and what else i have. He appologised for me having to go thru this.he handed me oath letter right after.Proofs i had were. BC of out daughter together, lease, bank statements like 6 or seven random months.Car title listing both of us as joint owener, Geico auto insurance policy listing me and my wife both of us. thats all. but during interview he seemed so keen to see life insurance and utility bill.

anyways my appeal was heard and was approved without any problems.HIS DECISION WAS OVERTURNED. so dont worry , lets see what you IO is thinking, wait for the letter.

Maybe he wants his supervisor to sign off on your case. keep us updated.

Edited by Waiter

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I agree with the others Otta. All will be well. It's unfortunate that IO dealt with you like that even if they had an issue with things in your file. I hope you hear from the very soon with an approval decision.

NATURALIZATION
07-03-2013: Eligible to file
07-22-2013: Application sent (Delivered: 07-24-13)
08-05-2013: NOA1 received (Priority date: 07-24-13, Check cashed: 07-29-13)
08-22-2013: Biometrics (Received: 08-06-13, Walk-in: 08-08-13)
09-03-2013: Inline for interview (Yellow letter received: 10-23-13)
11-04-2013: Interview scheduled (Received: 11-09-13)
12-12-2013: Interview (Approved)
01-03-2014: Oath ceremony, passport application and passport received

DONE!

Timeline

Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry you had to go through all that. Your situation sounds much worse, indeed. I can't believe you had to go through all that, despite having a *child* together! I agree with you and I'm trying to put everything into perspective. It's really not that huge a deal, probably just a few extra months at worst. The IO was very clear that he wasn't satisfied with what he was seeing, so I don't think it's a supervisor thing.

Happy to hear your case ended well :-)

Otta:

Do not overstress yourself, just a lil is fine.

the IO was just having a bad day or maybe he has cranky nature, It was just you bad luck , just like those ppl who have been interviewed by him and future applicants, to be interviewd by him. Out of 100 IO's 10 or 15 are like that, everywhere.

I can relate to your situation, because i had same type of IO just like yours, maybe worse. My interview ended just like yours and he sent me RFE and the list was Vague. things like i couldnt go back and get those papers. Offcourse i am not time traveller. I sent him what I had and explaination, but during interview he preferred Life insurance where my spouse is listed a beneficiary.

Long story short, he denied my application, I appealed it, and during appeal I told them , WE CAN NOT AFFORD LIFE INSURANCE, and i am not gonna make proofs just for the sake of proving bona fide marriage. anyone can do that. Proofs i had were. BC of out daughter together, lease, bank statements like 6 or seven random months.Car title listing both of us as joint owener, Geico auto insurance policy listing me and my wife both of us. thats all. but during interview he seemed so keen to see life insurance and utility bill.

anyways my appeal was heard and was approved without any problems. so dont worry , lets see what you IO is thinking, wait for the letter.

Maybe he wants his supervisor to sign off on your case. keep us updated.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

I'm not claiming discrimination, I'm just puzzled by the IO's conduct. Clearly, *something* about me or my husband is not to USCIS's or the IO's liking, and I have no way of knowing what it is.

Importantly though, I did not "forget" anything. I brought everything that was requested on the interview letter (passports, marriage & birth certificates, green card etc.), and more. There was nothing demanding further relationship evidence listed on the letter, but I still brought some (bills, account statements), because I'd read on this site that sometimes the request is made. I understand that the IO wants to make sure my husband and I are in a bonafide relationship, but it's unreasonable to accuse me of failing to meet "the burden of proof [that] is on the applicant" for not bringing a lease that was not listed among needed documents on the interview letter.

Anyway, all I can do is wait and start printing more bills etc., because I sense an RFE is coming (hopefully soon). Thanks for the encouragement. I think the lesson is to really bring in EVERY piece of paper you can think of, even if such requests aren't usually made at this stage anymore.

Otta, where was your interview? NYC? or holtsville long island.?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Otta, I am really sorry about your situation. I had a similar experience and the IO ended up coming to my work after the interview.

It's been 4 weeks today since my interview and still no news. chin up, we'll support each other through this.

Good lukc

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Timeline

Can't believe it's been a month already! I remember reading about that odd situation and thinking that the 2nd meeting looked like a good sign... Hmm. Fingers crossed.

Otta, I am really sorry about your situation. I had a similar experience and the IO ended up coming to my work after the interview.

It's been 4 weeks today since my interview and still no news. chin up, we'll support each other through this.

Good lukc

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Manhattan. It's a very busy office, so I suspect I may not hear back soon. I'll just start preparing documents for the event of an RFE.

Otta,

On the N652 there's an agents name..this is what my friend did when she was told to bring more documents:

She put all that was requested in an envelope and hand delivered to the office where she interviewed and handed it to the officer.

I am not sure about the Manhattan office but you can get the lease, copies of the passport and the bank statements for each and every month for at least the last 12-15 months, and make sure the bank statements have activities not just the first page then take it back to the Manhattan office.

ROC:
07/2010....Attorney mailed I-751 divorce waiver
07/21/10...USCIS recvd I-751
07/21/10...NOA1
08/20/10...Bio completed
09/16/10...Recvd RFE, due 10/31
10/26/10...Mailed RFE
10/27/10...RFE delivered to VSC
04/26/11...Interview
05/11/11...APPROVED!!
05/18/11...Card production ordered
05/23/11...Received green card

N400:
04/29/13.. Eligible to file N400
04/26/13...Mailed N400..Dallas, TX
04/28/13...USPS delivered package (Priority mail)
04/29/13...NOA Priority date
05/02/13...Check cashed
05/10/13...Rcvd bio notice
05/30/13...Bio Appt
05/17/13...Walk in bio successful
06/28/13...Placed in line for interview scheduling
08/06/13...Recvd email interview has been scheduled
08/10/13...Recvd Interview letter
09/12/13...N400 Interview
09/12/13...Decision cannot be made
10/21/14...Biometrics (second time)
01/05/15...In line for oath scheduling

01/21/15...Oath Ceremony

01/21/15...Applied Passport

02/05/15..Received Passport

Journey Over!!

Timeline

Thanks, Nimaan. I've made an InfoPass appointment and will try to hand my documents over for the IO. I'll bring my husband along; maybe they'll be a little nicer to a USC :-)

Hope you and Canadian Wife hear back soon. Come on, Atlanta!

Otta,

On the N652 there's an agents name..this is what my friend did when she was told to bring more documents:
She put all that was requested in an envelope and hand delivered to the office where she interviewed and handed it to the officer.
I am not sure about the Manhattan office but you can get the lease, copies of the passport and the bank statements for each and every month for at least the last 12-15 months, and make sure the bank statements have activities not just the first page then take it back to the Manhattan office.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Thanks, Nimaan. I've made an InfoPass appointment and will try to hand my documents over for the IO. I'll bring my husband along; maybe they'll be a little nicer to a USC :-)

Hope you and Canadian Wife hear back soon. Come on, Atlanta!

Hope it goes well! Please update us!!

Yeah, I can't wait for the approval..come on Atlanta!

ROC:
07/2010....Attorney mailed I-751 divorce waiver
07/21/10...USCIS recvd I-751
07/21/10...NOA1
08/20/10...Bio completed
09/16/10...Recvd RFE, due 10/31
10/26/10...Mailed RFE
10/27/10...RFE delivered to VSC
04/26/11...Interview
05/11/11...APPROVED!!
05/18/11...Card production ordered
05/23/11...Received green card

N400:
04/29/13.. Eligible to file N400
04/26/13...Mailed N400..Dallas, TX
04/28/13...USPS delivered package (Priority mail)
04/29/13...NOA Priority date
05/02/13...Check cashed
05/10/13...Rcvd bio notice
05/30/13...Bio Appt
05/17/13...Walk in bio successful
06/28/13...Placed in line for interview scheduling
08/06/13...Recvd email interview has been scheduled
08/10/13...Recvd Interview letter
09/12/13...N400 Interview
09/12/13...Decision cannot be made
10/21/14...Biometrics (second time)
01/05/15...In line for oath scheduling

01/21/15...Oath Ceremony

01/21/15...Applied Passport

02/05/15..Received Passport

Journey Over!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.