mattydunbar

Please help NZ citizen wanting to live in the US

22 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: New Zealand
Timeline

Hello Im currently live in Auckland New Zealand but would like to move to the US to work i am a qualifyed automotive refinisher (Car painter). Can someone please let me know what kind of visa i will need. And what do i need to do? how hard is it to get a working visa?

Filed: Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hello Im currently live in Auckland New Zealand but would like to move to the US to work i am a qualifyed automotive refinisher (Car painter). Can someone please let me know what kind of visa i will need. And what do i need to do? how hard is it to get a working visa?

My understanding of a working visa is that an Employer has to file for you. You sound like a self employed, and I do not think you can just file from outside the country for a work visa for yourself. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Timeline

My understanding of a working visa is that an Employer has to file for you. You sound like a self employed, and I do not think you can just file from outside the country for a work visa for yourself. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I am not self employed would i have to find a job before i apply for the visa?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
I am not self employed would i have to find a job before i apply for the visa?

In most cases yes. You could visit the US on the VWP and then look for an employer. You cannot change status to a different visa while in the US so you'll need to leave.

Have you looked into an E3 visa? It is for Australians specifically.

Timeline

In most cases yes. You could visit the US on the VWP and then look for an employer. You cannot change status to a different visa while in the US so you'll need to leave.

Have you looked into an E3 visa? It is for Australians specifically.

but im not Australian

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
but im not Australian

Sorry I thought you were.. not sure why. I think I'm getting that head cold Tony's friends have.. I know you said NZ.. wow.. I'm slow today :S

Timeline

Sorry I thought you were.. not sure why. I think I'm getting that head cold Tony's friends have.. I know you said NZ.. wow.. I'm slow today :S

No problem. does anyone know if it is hard to get a visa if you have a job i was looking at the waiting list figures on the us immigration website and they are huge

Filed: Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Ok if i can find an employer am i guaranteed to get a visa?

No matter what the case may be, no one is guaranteed any visa. However, on your case, it will be up to your employer, since they'll be the one to file for you if they want to do that.

Timeline

No matter what the case may be, no one is guaranteed any visa. However, on your case, it will be up to your employer, since they'll be the one to file for you if they want to do that.

so it looks like i am going on a holiday to the us then to find a job :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

I am not sure your type of job would be considered "highly skilled", so it may not be possible for you to get as work visa.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

E3 visas are not specifically for Australians. They are available to people from any country. I'm not sure why Vanessa thought otherwise.

Anyway, there are five general classes of employment based visas, E1 through E5. They are described on the Department of State website here:

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_1323.html

E1 and E2 visas are for people with extraordinary talent, skill, knowledge, or experience. E4 visas are for members of certain very narrowly defined groups. E5 visas are for people who want to invest a substantial amount of money in the US.

An auto refinisher would only qualify for an E3 visa. You'd first need to find an employer to petition on your behalf. Your employer would need to obtain a Department of Labor certification indicating that there is a shortage of qualified Americans in your career field. After that, your employer would submit an I-140 petition. Once the petition is approved you'd have to wait until the priority date of the petition became current. These visas are rationed, and the wait is currently about 6 years.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

E3 Non Immigrant Visa's for Indians with Australian Citizenship

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=71256811264a3210VgnVCM100000b92ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=71256811264a3210VgnVCM100000b92ca60aRCRD

Realistically there is no category for moving to the US though work of that type.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.