Dr. A ♥ O

Why are people advising others that the K3 is obsolete?

117 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

It appears your reality is different from others. We will have to agree to disagree. If I had listened to your advice about anything related to speeding up a K3, albeit sending both petitions together or not, I'd be disappointed just as many others that have chosen to be frieghtened by your advice.

Interesting discussion. I don't know why people would be frightened by pushbrk's advice - it's advice, it's not advice with a gun pointing at them.

I've been in a few threads where push has given this advice. When people are hell bent on filing for a K3 I will, sometimes, explain the whole thing to them - in short - you can, but it's unlikely to be approved.

In those somewhat rare cases where a K3 would be beneficial to an applicant, they can certainly give it a try, nothing ventured nothing gained, but I also think it is important for them to know that they just might be wasting their time.

I suppose they (USCIS/NVC) made this decision to stop the doubling up of paperwork - one reason may be for people that persue the K3, get it then pursue the CR1/IR1. Basically you have now been the receipient of the processing of your case twice. If everyone played the visa game the way you do I assure you the wait would be much longer.

Edited by trailmix

Filed: Timeline

What they have to lose is the filing fee and all their months of hoping ending in a hug disappointment

I don't know which added filng fees you are referring to, for me I actually saved money not having to adjust status, lift conditions, seek employment authorization.

But again, as you stated yourself, this strategy works for people that do not have immediate intent to immigrate.

Yet not having immediate intent and K3 being obsolete are two different beasts.

I can't predict the future but I don't think there's enough evidence out there to suggest that you are right either. We don't know the circumstances surrounding the case that Sachinky posted.

Let's give it a few months and the truth shall set everyone free. I'll let you have the final word.

**** filed K3/CR1 concurrently. My wife and I both work/live overseas. The following timeline continues from the approval of the K3 VISA.

Our journey
http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=115855

NVC rec'd 130/ assigned case# 5-15-08
Called to request online payment ID# 5-18-08
Rec'd ds 3032/AOS bill by USPS 5-19-08
Rec'd email Online ID# for payment of AOS and DS3032 5-21-08
Returned ds 3032 by USPS during wife visit to U.S. on K3--5-29-09
Paid AOS online: 7-05-09 ( While in Cambodia )
Rec'd email to pay IV bill 7-7-09
Paid IV bill online 7-08-09
Mailed I-864 2-16-10
I- 864 delivered 2-18-10
Mailed DS 230 2-22-10
Ds 230 delivered 2-24-10
AVR says "NVC is awaiting biographic info from petitioner" 2-24-10
AVR says, "NVC has received the info checklist requested." NVC HAS ENTERED DS-230 INTO COMPUTER 3-01-10
SIF: 3-08-10
AVR Case Complete: 3-09-10
Rec'd interview email/date: 3-15-10
Medical: 4-09-10
INTERVIEW( less than 5 minutes ): 4-26-10 APPROVED
Pickup Visa: 4-30-10
POE: LAX 5/31/10
Overnight REENTRY Permit app: 6/01/10
Rec'd SS: 6-10-10
Rec'd Welcome to USA Letter + Green Card Tracking #: 6-14-10
Rec'd NOA1 letter + receipt # for reentry permit: 6-14-10
Rec'd 10 Yr. GC: 6-21-10
Rec'd Bio appt for reentry permit 7-18-10 but changed to 6-28-10 thru INFOpass: 6-25-10
REentry touches: 9-6-10, 9-29-10, 10-4-10
Rec'd email Reentry mailed 10-07-10
Rec'd reentry permit 10-09-10 ( 4 mths 1 wk )

Naturalized 04/2016

Received US Passport 05/2016

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

I don't know which added filng fees you are referring to, for me I actually saved money not having to adjust status, lift conditions, seek employment authorization.

But again, as you stated yourself, this strategy works for people that do not have immediate intent to immigrate.

I can't predict the future but I don't think there's enough evidence out there to suggest that you are right either. We don't know the circumstances surrounding the case that Sachinky posted.

Let's give it a few months and the truth shall set everyone free. I'll let you have the final word.

People with no immediate immigrant intent have no use for an immigrant visa, so the I-130 filing fee is wasted. I did not say "this strategy or any strategy workd for people who do not have immediate intent to immigrate. I said K3 WAS, with emphasis on WAS a good option for those people. In the present tense, I have no confidence it is an available option or that any strategy will cause it to be available.

There's plenty of evidence USCIS and NVC do it their way according to procedure and are seldom open to special requests except when there are grounds to expedite the process.

Yes, we know all we have to know about the case Sachinky posted. Their petitions arrived at the same time and they requested the I-129F proceed because they hadn't filed I-130 petition(s) for the child or children. NVC said no and told them to file the petitions for the children. It's perfectly clear.

This statement makes no sense to me.

The two aren't different beasts. One is a flower and the other a fish. This thread has gone on for 5 pages, yet in post 5, I wrote.

The new NVC procedure is as of February 1. For all practical purposes, at this point in time, the K3 visa is no longer a viable option. Therefore it is currently obsolete. If all you're arguing is the use of the term "obsolete" then you are technically correct. From a practical standpoint though, K3 is obsolete, dead, unavailable, no longer a viable option, not going to happen. Take your pick.

The title of this thread includes the word "why". The answer to "Why some people...." has been made clear days ago. That opinions vary is a given.

Cases where the foreign spouse has no immediate immigrant intent are, IMO, an important rare subset where the K3 visa WAS, again emphasis on WAS the only real solution. At this time, I have no reason to believe that avenue is still open. I think it should be and hope it becomes open again. Maybe some will risk the fee and months of waiting for potential disappointment and we'll see. But again, those cases are an extremely small percentage of the spouse visa cases and NOT what the K3 was actually intended for. Being outside the actual intention for which the K3 was created is one more reason I strongly doubt either USCIS or NVC will give such requests much consideration. That's an opinion though. I don't know of anybody who has tried since February.

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

[ het pushbrk, i want to add you give excellent advice and long ago you advised me on doing cr1 instead of k3 but i was so gun hoe about k3 heheh .. now nvc got both my petitions and it went cr1, at first i was like oh no be here forever ,, but my case is almost complete, been here less than 2 months, would have been much soonner out of nvc but i got rfes :P:P anyways me and my husband are now thanking god it went cr1 cause when he gets home, we dont have to do all thiis paperwork, he will enter as a resident, we can get social security number and he can work,and no big 1050 fee for ajusting status heheh//// doing k3 now doesnt get u ahead quicker ,and even when u get in the states what are you gonna do with a k3? justsit? thats about it, so pushbrk keep giving the great advice!!!!!!!!!!!! peace :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs: quote name='pushbrk' date='30 April 2010 - 12:09 PM' timestamp='1272643798' post='3908048]

Now those are some concrete reasons. I'll even add one more, in that you would interview months sooner in Vancouver than Montreal. Yours is one of the exceptions that make the K3 an attractive choice. Another exception I've mentioned several times is when the foreign spouse has no other way to legally enter the USA even to meet family but is not yet ready to immigrate and/or be subject to maintaining permanent resident status.

For the average couple wanting to be reunited with in the USA permanently, there is potentially a few weeks advantage, none or a delay in timeline to be weighed against the cost and hassle associated with adjusting status and waiting for work authorization. It's hardly a justification to start hanging your hat on USCIS honoring a procedural request or risking your whole process by intentionally creating the need for an RFE.

The subject line of this thread is telling. The question is "Why....?" The answer has been clearly given. For those to whom the answer doesn't apply or who wish attempt to find a way around the new NVC procedure, let them do so well informed as to the possibilities and realities of the situation.

I'll say again that my wife and daughter came to the USA on K3/4 visas and that I strongly disagree with NVC's decision to change their procedures. At the same time, I have a comprehensive and holistic understanding of both the K3 and IR1/CR1 processes and have given my assessment with that in mind.

dSCDm6.png

sent i-130 10-16-2009

noa1 recieved 10-26-2009

noa2 recieved 2-27-2010. got no rfes thank god!

case completed 4 months 1 week and 4 days

date recieved by nvc 3-10-2010

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill :3-17-2010

Return Completed DS-3032 :3-17-2010

Pay I-864 Bill :3-19-2010

Receive I-864 Package 3-19-2010. used nvc shortcuts!

Return I-864 Package 3-27-2010

-- Receive IV Bill : 3-27-2010

-- Pay IV Bill : 3-27-2010

-- Receive Instruction Package :

-- sent iv packet 4-1-2010

-- Case Completed at NVC : 5-7-2010!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yayyyyyyy!

Date Package Left From NVC :5-11-2010

interview date-6-23-2010

interview results-approveddddddddd! no ap!!! yayayaya skippy!

visa recieved-visa in hand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! june 29.2010 6 days after interview!!!

port of entry- j.f.k july 2 2010!

event.png

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

I rarely post on here anymore. I will break silence for a couple of comments:

USCIS cannot close out the K3 option. Because the LIFE act specified that this category be created for this specific purpose and last time I checked Congress still makes the laws even if the various agencies make the rules.

Those of you who note that I130 petitions are sailing through at the same speed as K3 petitions never acknowledge that your spouses sailed in on the backs of K3 visa filers and had there been no LIFE act and no K3 path the petitions that you insist people should file and the path that you insist people should take would not exist. I remember the days of the 1-year and longer CR1 backlogs even if your memories have failed you. We on the other hand filed in June of one year and she arrived in Jan of the following year. EAD by April. Rights to travel in and out of the country from day of arrival.

NONE of you crowing CR1 holders beat that timeline then and none of you beat it now. We took the K3 path in spite of Dan and Pushbrk and others screaming the exact same thing over and over when the thing that they SHOULD of been screaming is a big thank you that the K3 path designated by the LIFE act ALSO shortened the CR1 path and that reduction in CR1 processing time is because the K3/CR1 paths were finally consolidated.

Instead of screaming and crowing about the end results it would be more appropriate to write a long, touching thank you to the K3 couples who made your screaming and crowing possible. As to those who consider the K3 path - getting your family intact IS quicker while getting all of the work authorizations, etc takes exactly the same amount of time. Spending the extra (2) months apart is also cheaper which is Yu and Dan's favorite "benefit". So: If you want cheaper with more time apart and less paperwork - choose CR1. If you want your family intact more quickly and are willing to pay for the AOS/etc and your husband/wife can stand a breather for a couple of months while the EAD is processed - choose K3. Those are the pros and cons and those have always been the pros and cons.

David and Nita

ROC pending

i don't get it.

Timeline

I rarely post on here anymore. I will break silence for a couple of comments:

USCIS cannot close out the K3 option. Because the LIFE act specified that this category be created for this specific purpose and last time I checked Congress still makes the laws even if the various agencies make the rules.

Those of you who note that I130 petitions are sailing through at the same speed as K3 petitions never acknowledge that your spouses sailed in on the backs of K3 visa filers and had there been no LIFE act and no K3 path the petitions that you insist people should file and the path that you insist people should take would not exist. I remember the days of the 1-year and longer CR1 backlogs even if your memories have failed you. We on the other hand filed in June of one year and she arrived in Jan of the following year. EAD by April. Rights to travel in and out of the country from day of arrival.

NONE of you crowing CR1 holders beat that timeline then and none of you beat it now. We took the K3 path in spite of Dan and Pushbrk and others screaming the exact same thing over and over when the thing that they SHOULD of been screaming is a big thank you that the K3 path designated by the LIFE act ALSO shortened the CR1 path and that reduction in CR1 processing time is because the K3/CR1 paths were finally consolidated.

Instead of screaming and crowing about the end results it would be more appropriate to write a long, touching thank you to the K3 couples who made your screaming and crowing possible. As to those who consider the K3 path - getting your family intact IS quicker while getting all of the work authorizations, etc takes exactly the same amount of time. Spending the extra (2) months apart is also cheaper which is Yu and Dan's favorite "benefit". So: If you want cheaper with more time apart and less paperwork - choose CR1. If you want your family intact more quickly and are willing to pay for the AOS/etc and your husband/wife can stand a breather for a couple of months while the EAD is processed - choose K3. Those are the pros and cons and those have always been the pros and cons.

David and Nita

ROC pending

Apparently you failed to read the early posts in the thread and are unaware that it is NVC, not USCIS that effectively killed the K3. In a present day discussion, K3 is simply no longer available, making any argument FOR it, irrelevant TODAY.

This is also moot of course but obtaining work authorization for a K3 visa holder takes an AOS filing and three months or more of waiting. CR1 visa holders enter the US fully work authorized, with SS and Green cards arriving within two or three weeks in most cases. Not comparable at all.

Edited by pushbrk

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Apparently you failed to read the early posts in the thread and are unaware that it is NVC, not USCIS that effectively killed the K3. In a present day discussion, K3 is simply no longer available, making any argument FOR it, irrelevant TODAY.

This is also moot of course but obtaining work authorization for a K3 visa holder takes an AOS filing and three months or more of waiting. CR1 visa holders enter the US fully work authorized, with SS and Green cards arriving within two or three weeks in most cases. Not comparable at all.

A K3 visa holder does not have to file for adjustment of status to obtain an EAD.

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

A K3 visa holder does not have to file for adjustment of status to obtain an EAD.

True, but it is like throwing $340 away. If you file for EAD and AOS at the same time, there is no fee for the EAD.

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Bangkok, Thailand

Marriage : 2006-11-08

I-130 Sent : 2008-02-22

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-03-10

I-129F Sent : 2008-04-08

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-04-14

I-129F touched: 2008-05-06

I-130 touched: 2008-05-09

I-129F approved 2008-09-05

I-130 approved 2008-09-05

NVC received 2008-09-12

Pay I-864 2008-10-08

Pay IV bill 2008-10-08

Receive Instruction 2008-11-05

Case Complete 2008-11-18

Medical 2009-01-19/20 passed

Receive Pkt 4 2009-01-30

Interview 221g 2009-02-23

Second interview 2009-03-02 Approved

POE DFW 2009-03-07

Received SS card 2009-03-17

Received GC 2009-04-01

Done for 3 years or 10 years. Haven't decided yet.

(I'm going for the IR-1 and blowing off the K-3. Even if it takes an extra couple months, it's worth it to not have to deal with USCIS again)

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Note:

Please fill out I-130, wait 6 months for approval, then 3 more months for an interview. (Unless of course we've bombed your country into the stone age, then you qualify for expedited processing.)

Welcome to the USA!!!

True, but it is like throwing $340 away. If you file for EAD and AOS at the same time, there is no fee for the EAD.

A K3 is in legal status for two years after entry and really doesn't need to worry about adjusting to maintain status. Many persons through the years have chosen to spend the money on the EAD and wait until the 2-year anniversary of the wedding to file for adjustment, thus avoiding the extra step and expense of removing conditions.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

A K3 is in legal status for two years after entry and really doesn't need to worry about adjusting to maintain status. Many persons through the years have chosen to spend the money on the EAD and wait until the 2-year anniversary of the wedding to file for adjustment, thus avoiding the extra step and expense of removing conditions.

Good point.

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Bangkok, Thailand

Marriage : 2006-11-08

I-130 Sent : 2008-02-22

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-03-10

I-129F Sent : 2008-04-08

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-04-14

I-129F touched: 2008-05-06

I-130 touched: 2008-05-09

I-129F approved 2008-09-05

I-130 approved 2008-09-05

NVC received 2008-09-12

Pay I-864 2008-10-08

Pay IV bill 2008-10-08

Receive Instruction 2008-11-05

Case Complete 2008-11-18

Medical 2009-01-19/20 passed

Receive Pkt 4 2009-01-30

Interview 221g 2009-02-23

Second interview 2009-03-02 Approved

POE DFW 2009-03-07

Received SS card 2009-03-17

Received GC 2009-04-01

Done for 3 years or 10 years. Haven't decided yet.

(I'm going for the IR-1 and blowing off the K-3. Even if it takes an extra couple months, it's worth it to not have to deal with USCIS again)

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Note:

Please fill out I-130, wait 6 months for approval, then 3 more months for an interview. (Unless of course we've bombed your country into the stone age, then you qualify for expedited processing.)

Welcome to the USA!!!

Timeline

Yes, my wife and I did exactly that under the old fee structure. It's still a viable option but less attractive under the new fee structure. Moot anyway today as one would actually have to obtain a K3 visa, which is extremely unlikely to happen.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Why are people insisting on things that happened 2-3 years ago with what is happening now? The new rule has only gone into effect as of Feb 1, 2010.

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

Yes, my wife and I did exactly that under the old fee structure. It's still a viable option but less attractive under the new fee structure. Moot anyway today as one would actually have to obtain a K3 visa, which is extremely unlikely to happen.

I am of the opinion that it is better to let the actions of NVC bear out this prediction than it is to bang a gong constantly about the K3 being dead. The information is out there for readers and they can make their plans accordingly. The appropriate I-130's can always be filed if NVC closes the I-129. In the meanwhile it's best to give an accurate representation of the merits of the two visas rather than get carried away with one perspective.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.