Mochara

whats going On!!?2nd RFE makes zero sense- stuff already sent in (twice) and then joint sponsor income doesnt meet poverty guidlines (but it does)

24 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Ok,

So I am currently in the US in the middle of the AOS process, and we have just recieved after 5 months of filing, another RFE.

It's very confusing because it states a number of things and requires 3 bits of evidence:

• First it states that a Complete Federal Tax Form was not submitted by the Joint sponsor (but it was)
  • Secondly it states that on the Federal Income form submitted, the Joint sponsors income does not meet the poverty guidelines (125%) (But it does, the joint sponsor earns about 60,000 a year, and is only sponsoring me, and the household size is 4 including myself)

On the same note it says the Joint sponsors information on form I-864 claims his income to be sufficient, but has not provided evidence ie. letter of employment stating dates, salary ect.

First question, Wouldnt the tax forms submitted serve as proof of income??

• Thirdly it states
    "Based on the documents submitted with form I-864 affidavit of support, for the joint sponsor, the income did not meet 125% of the poverty guidline for the joint sponsors household size.
    Submit evidence of assetts or obtain a different joint sponsor"

So essentially its saying that 60,000 is not enough to meet the poverty guidelines for me, my husband(sponsor), Father in law (joint sponsor) and mother in law. a household size of 4, which on the I-864 gudinlines, says 29,000 is the figure.

How is that possible?

It states it twice on the RFE so they must be getting something wrong.

The only thing I can think of is that My husbands sister Lives in another state, but sometimes visits our home for weeks at a time. Her kids are registered as attending school in florida, but she home schools them from Virgina and for some odd reason gets all her post sent here. (no idea, dont understand it myself)

Anyway, Could that be part of it?

Even though she doesnt live here 10 months of the year, doesnt work, and her husband works in another state so files all his taxes there; could it somehow be interfering with the Affidavit of support? she has 3 kids, so if that's showing up on there system or whatever, even though its not included on any of our forms, or the joint sponsors Tax forms, could an extra 5 people be showing up in the household size? I have no idea how the US tax or property system works, but it makes me confused that theyve stated Twice on the RFE that the Joint sponsor's income does not meet the household size, even though for the 4 people that live here (me and husband and his parents) his income should cover it plenty?

Any help would be appreciated. We have an infopass this Saturday so going to bring all the stuff there and bombard them with questions, but I'm curious with regards to the sister situation.

But that said, if she was added to the household size, that would make the household size 8 or 9, which means the poverty income rate would be 56,000. His dad still makes over that? So if that was the way they were calculating it, it would cover the size regardless.

Has anyone else had such issues?

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Ok,

So I am currently in the US in the middle of the AOS process, and we have just recieved after 5 months of filing, another RFE.

It's very confusing because it states a number of things and requires 3 bits of evidence:

• First it states that a Complete Federal Tax Form was not submitted by the Joint sponsor (but it was)

It's best to send Tax Return Transcripts that your joint sponsor can download from the IRS website. Is this what he sent in? Most of the time the 1040 by itself is not enough.

• Secondly it states that on the Federal Income form submitted, the Joint sponsors income does not meet the poverty guidelines (125%) (But it does, the joint sponsor earns about 60,000 a year, and is only sponsoring me, and the household size is 4 including myself)

Is the joint sponsor self-employed? If so, does he have business expenses that he excluded from his taxable income? If he makes $60,000 a year but say $50,000 of it has been put towards expenses then his income for that year comes to only $10,000. Expenses aren't included in the total income for the I-864.

On the same note it says the Joint sponsors information on form I-864 claims his income to be sufficient, but has not provided evidence ie. letter of employment stating dates, salary ect.

First question, Wouldnt the tax forms submitted serve as proof of income??

Tax forms serve the purpose of letting USCIS know he has filed his taxes (a requirement for the I-864). They want to know what he is likely to make in the next 365 days and for that he would need proof he is currently employed/self employed and earning money. E.g. a letter from his employer, bank account statements (if self employed), pay-stubs for the past few months...

• Thirdly it states

"Based on the documents submitted with form I-864 affidavit of support, for the joint sponsor, the income did not meet 125% of the poverty guidline for the joint sponsors household size.

Submit evidence of assetts or obtain a different joint sponsor"

So essentially its saying that 60,000 is not enough to meet the poverty guidelines for me, my husband(sponsor), Father in law (joint sponsor) and mother in law. a household size of 4, which on the I-864 gudinlines, says 29,000 is the figure.

How is that possible?

It states it twice on the RFE so they must be getting something wrong.

The only thing I can think of is that My husbands sister Lives in another state, but sometimes visits our home for weeks at a time. Her kids are registered as attending school in florida, but she home schools them from Virgina and for some odd reason gets all her post sent here. (no idea, dont understand it myself)

Anyway, Could that be part of it?

I doubt this unless he claims them as dependents on his tax returns too.

Even though she doesnt live here 10 months of the year, doesnt work, and her husband works in another state so files all his taxes there; could it somehow be interfering with the Affidavit of support? she has 3 kids, so if that's showing up on there system or whatever, even though its not included on any of our forms, or the joint sponsors Tax forms, could an extra 5 people be showing up in the household size? I have no idea how the US tax or property system works, but it makes me confused that theyve stated Twice on the RFE that the Joint sponsor's income does not meet the household size, even though for the 4 people that live here (me and husband and his parents) his income should cover it plenty?

Any help would be appreciated. We have an infopass this Saturday so going to bring all the stuff there and bombard them with questions, but I'm curious with regards to the sister situation.

But that said, if she was added to the household size, that would make the household size 8 or 9, which means the poverty income rate would be 56,000. His dad still makes over that? So if that was the way they were calculating it, it would cover the size regardless.

Has anyone else had such issues?

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Please see my answers in red above which might shed some light.

Edited by Ketsuban

ROC from CR-1 visa (Green Card expiration date was Nov 24th 2016)

Link to the evidence I submitted. Be sure to send evidence spanning your entire marriage (especially for K-1) or as far back as you can. Just one or two bank statements will not cut it. I primarily focused on the two years of living here since I came in on a CR-1. If you don't have the fundamentals (i.e. joint accounts/policies), you can explain why in the covering letter. E.g. "While we do not have joint utilities, we both contribute to them from our joint bank account".

September 26th 2016: I-751 package sent to CSC

September 28th 2016: Package delivered
September 30th 2016: Check cashed
October 3rd 2016: NOA1 received with receipt date of 09/28/16
November 3rd 2016: Biometrics received with appointment date of 11/14/16.
November 14th 2016: Attended biometrics appointment
October 30th 2017: Infopass appointment to get I-551 stamp
February 26th 2018: I-751 case number (aka the NOA1 receipt number) becomes trackable
March 14th 2018: Submitted service request due to being outside of processing time.

March 15th 2018: ROC approved. 535 days (1 year, 5 months and 17 days)

March 29th 2018: Card being produced

April 4th 2018: Card mailed out

April 6th 2018: Card in hand. Has incorrect "resident since" date. Submitted service request on I-751 case (typographical error on permanent resident card) and an I-90 online.

April 2018 - August 7th 2018: Tons of service requests, emails and now senator involvement to get my corrected green card back because what the heck, USCIS. Also some time in May I sent a letter to Potomac telling them I want to withdraw my I-90 since CSC were handling it.

August 8th 2018: Card in production thanks to the direct involvement of Senator Sherrod Brown's team

August 13th 2018: Card mailed

August 15th 2018: Card in hand with correct date. :joy:

October 31st 2018: Potomac sends out a notice stating they have closed out my I-90 per my request. Yay for no duplicate card drama.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Secondly it states that on the Federal Income form submitted, the Joint sponsors income does not meet the poverty guidelines (125%) (But it does, the joint sponsor earns about 60,000 a year, and is only sponsoring me, and the household size is 4 including myself)

I noticed on here you talk about a family of 4 but if this is the family size it's only 3. Just to point this out. And Did the Mother also fill out a I-864A?

Does the joint sponsor make the guidelines currently as well as previously year?

Some adjudicators look at both? That cold be a factor?

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Timeline

thanks for your replies.

The joint sponsor is not self employed, hes worked with the same company the last 2 years, making over 50-70, 000 more or less the past 3 years. He doesnt claim business expenses. He does have high medical bills, but has insurance, so not sure if that plays any part? Hes literally just changed jobs and now working for a new company.

Im sorry if im a bit all over the place with information- I dont have ay understanding of the tax forms needed and my husband (the US. citizen who should really be on asking for tips) is literally beng zero help so i've no one else to ask.

With the I-864 we sent in:

• The petitioners Federal income returns for the last three years -Form 1040A, 2011-2013- Income does not meet the poverty guidelines.
    The joint sponsors federal income from the last 3 years -Form W-2 and tax statement (2011-2013), income over 60,000 the last 3 years.

We did not send in a Letter from the employer, or bank statements, or pay stubs.

On the I-864 we havent combined the income of the primary sponsor (petitioner) and the joint sponsor, we are just using the income of the joint sponsor because in order to combine both (and file forms I-864A) they need to both reside in the house, but the joint sponsor owns the residence, but works in a different state. Also the petitioner cant combine income with anyone, has to meet guidelines on his own- as I understand it? could be wrong, have been before!
    -

To be honest, household size is confusing me because While me and my husband live in my husbands parents house, the parents live and work in a different state. so household size is really just me and my husband, but the parents get all theyre mail sent here and own the house I put them as living in the same residence as me and my husband on the I-864 -maybe i shouldnt have? since they don't actually reside in florida most of the time?

Oh and the mother did not fill out an I-864A because she doesnt work. No I-864A were sent in. only 2 I-864's for the petition and joint sponsor

Would that affect it?

Edited by Mochara

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

which visa did you hold when you came into the USA? I ask, because I think you've posted in the wrong forum.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

ok - you you two filed I-130+i-485, right ?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

Yes.

Petition approved, I 485 and everything else on hold since December because they FORGOT to send us the RFE until Feburary!

The date on the letter is the 12th of December, but they didnt post it until the 2nd of February.

Thats USCIS for ye.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to AOS from Tourist, from IR1/CR1 process and procedures~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

thanks for your replies.

The joint sponsor is not self employed, hes worked with the same company the last 2 years, making over 50-70, 000 more or less the past 3 years. He doesnt claim business expenses. He does have high medical bills, but has insurance, so not sure if that plays any part? Hes literally just changed jobs and now working for a new company.

Im sorry if im a bit all over the place with information- I dont have ay understanding of the tax forms needed and my husband (the US. citizen who should really be on asking for tips) is literally beng zero help so i've no one else to ask.

With the I-864 we sent in:

• The petitioners Federal income returns for the last three years -Form 1040A, 2011-2013- Income does not meet the poverty guidelines.

The joint sponsors federal income from the last 3 years -Form W-2 and tax statement (2011-2013), income over 60,000 the last 3 years.

We did not send in a Letter from the employer, or bank statements, or pay stubs.

On the I-864 we havent combined the income of the primary sponsor (petitioner) and the joint sponsor, we are just using the income of the joint sponsor because in order to combine both (and file forms I-864A) they need to both reside in the house, but the joint sponsor owns the residence, but works in a different state. Also the petitioner cant combine income with anyone, has to meet guidelines on his own- as I understand it? could be wrong, have been before!

-

To be honest, household size is confusing me because While me and my husband live in my husbands parents house, the parents live and work in a different state. so household size is really just me and my husband, but the parents get all theyre mail sent here and own the house I put them as living in the same residence as me and my husband on the I-864 -maybe i shouldnt have? since they don't actually reside in florida most of the time?

Oh and the mother did not fill out an I-864A because she doesnt work. No I-864A were sent in. only 2 I-864's for the petition and joint sponsor

Would that affect it?

Household size isn't about who lives in your house . It's about who you claim as dependents. So I would gather your joint sponsor (father - in-law) has him and his wife and now its you . Household size is 3. So income wise he meets it. But is the $60,00 all his income? Is any of that $60 her income at all. Did they file jointly?

I personally would just start from the top ask dad to order the last 3 years tax transcripts (just taxes about a week to get in mail. Get a letter of employment from his job stating his title and his hourly or yearly income. and that he is a full time employee and I would also include his 2014 W2 showing what he made for last year and a copy of his last pay-stub to show what he is making now. Get that all together and send it in and so it within the time-frame. Do not miss that date or you will be denied.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Spouse of cosponsor needs to do I-864A.

Tax transcripts instead of tax return copy.

InfoPass at local office won't help, NBC processes financial matters.

Good luck.

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

Timeline

They did file jointly, but as far as I know, she doesnt work. She claims disability allowance.

If they file jointly does he need a seperate tax/income breakdown? if so, where can i get that done?

If joint sponsor spouse does not work but they file jointly, she also needs to fill out i-864A? ok, can do that.

• So Tax Transcripts, Wage and W2 transcripts
  • Letter of employment from new job
  • Pay stubs and Bank statements

- does my husband the petitioner need to send this stuff in too?

Thank you thank you thank you for all your help

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Tell your husband to get off his duff and help you with this. These are forms that he should be familiar with and can at least be helping you pull together. You said it yourself, so I'm only confirming what you said. He should be helping you with this!

If your MIL claims disability then does that need to be reported? If you can take a look at the tax transcripts you can see their filing status, too. Then you know what's going on there. Did you SEE his tax transcripts when you submitted them or did your husband send them?

Did YOU fill out the form or did they fill them out? Is something entered in the wrong spot? The person receiving the documents will only look at where things should be and won't examine it beyond that. When I did our AOS I had one adjudicator say that my son's paperwork didn't match the total amount of income as compared to the tax transcript when in fact they did. It happened to be a bit of a light scan and even though mine and my other son's applications had the EXACT SAME document quality and same document and were fine, we got a checklist for my one son.

Do you have copies of all the documents? Maybe go through them line by line again and make sure everything is filled out in the correct spot and corresponding accurately.

USCIS - 40 DAYS
2012-10-30: FedEx delivered I-130 to Chicago Lockbox Mail Room
2012-11-01: NOA1 by email - MSC
2012-11-02: $420 (x3) debited from our account
2012-11-05: NOA1 hard copies received, Priority Date 2012-10-30
2012-12-11: NOA2

NVC - 26 DAYS
2013-01-02: Rec'd case#, IIN, BIN & OPTIN emails for EP sent
2013-01-03: Submitted DS-261 (x3)
2013-01-07: AOS bills invoiced and paid & OPTIN for EP accepted for each of us
2013-01-08: AOS bills appear as paid & AOS packages sent by email
2013-01-08: IV bill invoiced & paid (kids' only)
2013-01-09: IV bill appears as paid (kids' only)
2013-01-09: IV Package emailed & DS-260 submitted online (kids only)
2013-01-11: AOS received -notified by email
2013-01-11: IV bill invoiced & paid (for me)
2013-01-14: IV bill appears as paid (for me)
2013-01-14: IV Supporting Docs received for kids - notified by email
2013-01-14: IV Package emailed & DS-260 submitted online (me only)
2013-01-18: IV Supporting Docs received for me - notified by email
2013-01-18: Son#1 CASE COMPLETE - Son#2 checklist - saying $ on I-864 don't match tax return (but they do)-resubmitted
2013-01-23: AOS 2nd submission for Son #2 received - notified by email
2013-01-25: My CASE COMPLETE
2013-01-28: ALL 3 OF OUR CASES ARE NOW COMPLETE
2013-02-06: Packet 4 Received by email

MEDICAL ~ CONSULATE ~ POE REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS - 160 DAYS NATURALIZATION
2013-02-13: Medicals 2014-12-17: Delivered to California Lockbox 2015-12-15: Delivered to Phoenix Lockbox
2013-03-06: Interview 2014-12-19: 1 I-751 + 3 Biometrics Fees debited from our account 2015-12-16: Fees charged to Credit Card
2013-03-08: Visas in-hand 2014-12-22: Received NOA1 by mail. Receipt Date: 2014-12-17 2015-12-17: NOA
2013-03-12: Paid USCIS Immigrant Fee 2014-12-24: Received Biometrics Appointment Letter 2016-01-02: Biometrics Letter 2016-01-11: Biometrics
2013-03-14: POE 2015-01-06: Biometrics 2016-02-15: In Line for Interview 2016-02-19: Letter
2013-03-25: SSNs arrived 2015-05-27: Approved 2016-03-22: Interview
2013-04-01: Green Cards arrived 2015-06-03: New Green Cards arrived 2016-04-15: Oath Ceremony

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I was actually denied on the ESTA and issued a parole document at the airport. So came into the US as a parolee

You would have been denied entry on the VWP.

Why may be relevant.

Sounds like you do not have a lawyer

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

boiler,

We dont have a lawyer. I was denied entry because DHS are idiots, and the particular officer I spoke to just felt like being nasty. I was denied on the ESTA because I had a pending I-130-even though I had travelled with a pending I-130 multiple times before. The officer was young and just started making stuff up really "Oh well the last officer was giving you a break" "just because we let you in before doesnt mean you can go in again". , what so theres literally no written rule against it?! so he gave me the parole card since I was "between status'es" and he told me to make my mind up -either stay in the US and adjust status, or leave but never be allowed in on the ESTA again.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.