RojoGringo

3 years for a fiance visa?

31 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hi all,

My name is Mike and I will be applying for a K-1 visa within the next week or so and I am glad this webiste is here. I did talk to a couple of attorneys and they both said that the average time from filling to the arrival of my fiance is one year. But I have a friend who is married to a woman from Albania and he has a friend who married a man from the Dominican Republic, they have both said they would help me with the fiance application and process and that I do not need an lawyer. My friend however said that the process is more like 3 years, is this true?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

ask for a timeline of things for the 3 year duration, from this friend, from beginning to end.

report back, when able.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

A year or less from I-129F petition to visa approval is average. Check out people's timelines here for K-1 visas. Not sure why it took your friend 3 years.

You can use the guides here on VJ and ask questions when stuck on something, if you choose not to pay a lawyer to fill out forms for you with the info you need to provide for them anyway.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

A year or less from I-129F petition to visa approval is average. Check out people's timelines here for K-1 visas. Not sure why it took your friend 3 years.

You can use the guides here on VJ and ask questions when stuck on something, if you choose not to pay a lawyer to fill out forms for you with the info you need to provide for them anyway.

I read on the site here that it is about a year for a K-1 visa but because I do not know the language yet or k-1, I-29F, K-2, etc., so I was not sure if I was reading it correctly. I will wait any amount of time to be with her and if need be move there, but the U.S. is more financially promising. I have searched on the site here but as I stated I do not understand all the jargon and do not understand how to read the timelines. I suppose that I just want some validation for thinking that if everything is filed correctly and all conditions are met that we should be together in about a year?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Hi all,

My name is Mike and I will be applying for a K-1 visa within the next week or so and I am glad this webiste is here. I did talk to a couple of attorneys and they both said that the average time from filling to the arrival of my fiance is one year. But I have a friend who is married to a woman from Albania and he has a friend who married a man from the Dominican Republic, they have both said they would help me with the fiance application and process and that I do not need an lawyer. My friend however said that the process is more like 3 years, is this true?

On average, a year is a good assumption.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

I read on the site here that it is about a year for a K-1 visa but because I do not know the language yet or k-1, I-29F, K-2, etc., so I was not sure if I was reading it correctly. I will wait any amount of time to be with her and if need be move there, but the U.S. is more financially promising. I have searched on the site here but as I stated I do not understand all the jargon and do not understand how to read the timelines. I suppose that I just want some validation for thinking that if everything is filed correctly and all conditions are met that we should be together in about a year?

I'm a K-1 visa filer. The processing was very fast lately an average. The normal processing according to USCIS for I-129F is up to 6 months. Some people take years to complete their K-1 visa for some reasons for instance they were on administrative processing specially those are from countries like Pakistan, Afghanistan, some Middle East countries, and also some countries that list on "high fraud".

Expecting yours will be finished up to a year. The fastest approval from I-129F and got the visa was 76 days, as far as I remember. As myself, my I-129F got approved in 38 days and it took 140 days for my K-1 visa interview, plus 3 days picked up the passport with the visa from the interview date. I could finished faster though but my fiance and I had delayed the process due our work hectic schedules. I am in the US now for more than 2 months, so you could be together less than a year if your documents are correct and in order. Good luck!

Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat

- Sun Tzu-

It doesn't matter how slow you go as long as you don't stop

-Confucius-

-I am the beneficiary and my post is not reflecting my petitioner's point of views-

Lifting Condition (I-751)

*Mailed I-751 package (06/21/2017) to CSC

*NOA-1 date (06/23/2017)

*NOA-1 received (06/28/2017)

*Check cashed (06/27/2017)

*Biometric Received (07/10/2017)

*Biometric Appointment (07/20/2017)

I went through the process in Colombia back in 2012, as a K-1. It took less than 3 months to receive my NOA2, and another month and a half to get the interview and visa. So all in all it took 4 1/2 months from the time I mailed the petition till the time she received the visa.

Based on my experience, you should reasonably be able to be together within the year.

K-1
NOA1: 04/08/2014; NOA2: 04/21/2014; Visa interview, approved: 07/15/2014; POE: 07/25/2014; Marriage: 09/05/2014

AOS

NOA1:  09/12/2014;  Biometrics:  10/06/2014;  EAD/AP Received:  11/26/2014;  Interview Waiver Letter:  01/02/2015;  

RFE:  07/09/2015;  Permanent Residency Granted:  07/27/2015;  Green card Received:  08/22/2015

ROC

NOA1:  05/24/2017;  Biometrics:  06/13/2017;  Approved without interview:  09/05/2018;  10 Yr Green card Received:  09/13/2018

Naturalization

08/09/2020 -- Filed N-400 online

08/09/2020 -- NOA1 date

08/11/2020 -- NOA1 received in the mail

12/30/2020 -- Received notice online that an interview was scheduled

02/11/2021 -- Interview

Hi all,

Most experiences as of lately are showing that K1 visas are approved in approx. 6 months, that is without transfers and RFE. I had both ( :lol: ... Because I discovered VJ too late), as evident on my timeline below. and I was still able to arrive in US in less than a year. Some lucky ones get approved in 3 months, but just manage your expectation. Longer time frames might include factors such as: medical, any missing document during interview and AP by embassy (may be due to anything like random background checks, etc.)

On the average, it is a good estimate that your fiancee will be with you in US in a year or less.

In case you haven't yet, you might want to check out the VJ guide for info in assembling an I-129f packet: http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1guide

Example forms here: http://www.visajourney.com/content/examples

Edited by sweet cakes

heart.gif After all, we're all just walking home ...heart.gif

:energy: N-400 in progess ...

01/14/2013 Filed I-129f

07/31/2013 I-129f NOA2

11/04/2013 Visa Received

11/21/2013 POE: Honolulu .. Aloha!

01/27/2014 Wedding day! (L)

03/11/2014 Filed I-485, I-131 and I-765

05/31/2014 EAD/AP card received

06/27/2014 Green card received

05/12/2016 Filed I-751

05/25/2016 Check cashed

05/26/2016 NOA (Dated 05/16) Received

06/20/2016 Biometric Appointment

05/07/2017 10-year Green card received

N-400

07/02/2018 Filed N-400 online

07/24/2018 Biometric Appointment

Filed: Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hi all,

Hi Mike,

Look at our timeline below, it is very typical of the process both back in 2011 and today.

Good luck to you both!

Don & Natalia

--------------------------------K-1----------------------------
October 1, 2011 Mailed I-129F Application
October 7, 20122 Notice Date of NOA 1
February 15, 2012 Received Hard Copy of Approved NOA 2
March 8, 2012 Rec email Pacs 3/4 US Embassy in Bogota
March 29, 2012 Scheduled Interview
June 7, 2012 Interview APPROVED!

------------------------------Arrival @ LAX-----------------------------
July 27, 2012 Arrived POE @ LAX
October 21, 2012 Married (L) (L)

------------------------------AOS----------------------------------
April 20, 2013 Mailed AOS package

April 29, 2013 AOS NOA

May 22, 2013 Biometric date

June 7, 2013 NOA, rec. interview date for 7-16-13

June 18, 2013 EAD/AP Approved

June 29, 2013 Rec. in mail EAD/AP combo card

July 8, 2013 AOS process on HOLD, interview canceled unsure.png as wife returned to Colombia on medical emergency!

Oct. 17, 2013 AOS Interview re-schedule to November 20, 2013

Nov. 1, 2013 Rec. Notice from USCIS that 11-20-13 interview "due to unforseen circumstances" has been CANCELED. girlwerewolf2xn.gif

December 18, 2013 Rec. notice that AOS interview has been re-scheduled for January 17, 2014 (we will see)

January 17, 2014 Interview and AOS was APPROVED! dancin5hr.gif

January 27, 2014 Received GREEN CARD in mail! kicking.gif

-----------------------ROC----------------------

December 23, 2015 ROC Mailed I-751 to CSC

December 30, 2015 ROC NOA1

January 25, 2016 ROC Bio appointment

May 26, 2016 Approved!

June 4, 2016 - Received 10-year PERMANENT RESIDENT CARD in mail! :thumbs:

-----------------------CITIZENSHIP------------------

November 16, 2016 Mailed

November 19, 2016 NOA date

December 13, 2016 Biometrics

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

This is my experience, when my wife applied for Fiancee Visa for me, it took exactly 6 months from filing it to my interview day, and mine was not denied but they did not give me at that time, we had fill it again and it took exactly 98 days almost three month from date she filed to interview the good thing happened that they did not ask me too much question at the interview process not like the first time. so the time its not consistent it may take 3 month, may be more first time we did not use an attorney but second time we did.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hi,

My husband just got approved for his i485, and we first applied for the i129f K1 in Aug 2012. The first part of the petition took about 7 months, Feb 2013 he was approved, and recieved the consulate packet in april at which point he went on his interview, and was approved and was in the states 2 months later. The whole process took about 10 months. We chose the interview date and his US arrival date to be later because of timing, but he could have gone on to the interview the same week he got the approval, and gone right to the states once he got the k1 visa in his hands if we wanted to.

We were married within 90 days upon his arrival to the US and he recieved his work visa about 3 months after we applied for both the i765 EAD and i485 Permanent Residency. Due to a delay at USCIS they took longer than usual to approve his GC, but waived his interview. He had his GC approved in 9 months.

We did all the paperwork ourselves without the help of an attorney. If you have any questions feel free to ask, but our K1 took 7-9 months, not even a full year. Keep in mind time varies depending on the number of applicants, but I would be suprised if your case took longer than a year. I'd be suprised if it took a full year even, assuming you send all information necessary, and followed the process verbatum. VJer's are helpful and helped us throughout the whole process. Check out our timeline and you can get a more accurate idea of the timing: http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/profile.php?id=155950

But we applied in Aug 2012, and June 2013 he was in the states.

Best of luck!

My husband (then fiancée) is from the Dominican Republic and our process took just under 9 months from start to entry to the US. And that was with a RFE (request for more evidence). We filed last March and he entered the US in December. We've already started the Adjustment of Status process and he's already received his EAD/AP card to be able to work and travel while his permanent residency application is being processed.

I did everything myself for the process with the help of this site and we had no problems. Save yourself the money on the lawyer and do it yourself! Just be very attentive to detail and use this site often for help and you should have no problem!

K1

3/13/13: Filed K1 Application

3/20/13: NOA1

7/12/13: RFE

8/5/13: RFE Reply

8/26/13: NVC Received

9/4/13: Packet 4 received via email

9/23/13: Fiancee received his hard Packet 4

12/5/13: Interview, Visa Aprobada!

12/12/13: Visa Received

12/13/13: Entry into US

AOS

1/15/14: Filed AOS

1/22/14: NOA

2/13/14: Biometrics Appointment

3/25/14: EAD and AP Approved

3/31/14: EAD/AP Combo Card Received

4/28/14: Received Interview Waiver Letter

10/8/14: Called USCIS and was allowed to file a Service Request since we're outside of normal processing times for our local office. Should have a response in 15-30 days.

10/29/14: Received letter (dated 10/27/14, exactly 1 day before the 6 month mark) stating that our case would be transferred to the Houston field office for processing.

11/28/14: Received letter (dated 11/20/14) stating that our case had been received at the Sacremento office and would be processed there and if we don't hear from them in 60 days to contact NVC.

12/9/14: Card is in production

12/16/14: 2 year card in hand!

My K1 process from filing to Visa on hand took 6 months.. sometimes it takes longer, but on average I would say 9 months or so

My Journey:

We met through a study-abroad program in Shanghai, China in August of 2009

We got engaged March of 2010

I received my K1 VISA in 6 months (June-December 2010)

We were married 04/02/2011
I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

Our son was born 02/03/2013

I received my masters degree in Speech-Language Pathology 04/17/2013

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

My husband returned from deployment 06/20/2013

My naturalization journey took 4 months (April-August 2014)

I became a US citizen on 08/01/2014

Received passport in 3 weeks (regular processing)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.