mojorisin

Anyone Ever Heard of CR-1 Denial Based on No Job Even Though Joint Sponsor is Plenty Good

26 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Kenya
Timeline

Concerned if during the consular interview the consular decides that even with joint sponsor that covers proof of support, if I have no job he/she denies the CR-1 visa.

Does the joint sponsor eliminate the negative fact the USC spouse has no job?

No, a joint sponsor doesn't entirely eliminate it.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Yes I have seen on the forum where a visa was given a 221g because even though the joint sponsor technically made enough to cover the beneficiary, they didn't' make enough to cover the beneficiary and petitioner who was jobless. Doesn't mean it's right but that's how the story went.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I know of one where the petitioner had a life long history of being a welfare recipient and they denied the spouse as likely to become a public charge. They basically told her that her pattern of accepting public benefits showed that the immigrant ( who was not highly educated ) would likely end up following her example.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: Timeline

Thanks for the replies!! Curious how the USCIS knew the petitioner was a life long welfare recipient.

I'm sure you know not to put much stock into hearsay.

Even though the scenario you describe is likely, I have not read or seen it happen.

I think it is a good idea the petitioner get a job now!

Iron Sharpen Iron!

They do background checks on the petitioner as well, not just the beneficiary fyi. :)

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

The person was someone that filed years ago. Remember the petitioner has to file an I864 and either present their tax data or explain why they don't have to file taxes.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Yasss...it would be pretty easy to find out that whether a given petitioner had or had not taken substantial public assistance, especially in the three years leading up the application (via the required tax info on the I-864).

I've never heard of it happening, but it seems very likely to me that immigration officials would have broad authority to judge the likelihood of financial insolvency on a case-by-case basis and not decide everything based on the hard numbers that allegedly indicate the difference between someone who is and is not likely to become a public charge. Cold-blooded, perhaps, but it does make sense.

As someone who's lived in France for eight years, what strikes me is the fact that taking public assistance is so readily seen as a bad thing: here, nearly everyone (my upper-middle-class self included) receives some form of public aid at some point. We still get a few euros every month just because we have a kid under three!

I-130 mailed: 03/10/14 (from France to Chicago Lockbox)

I-130 received: 03/12/14 (this is also our priority date)

NOA1 email: 03/16/14 (email sent at 11:40 pm on Sunday!?!)

NOA1 letter: 03/30/14

I-797C: 03/21/14

NOA2 email: 08/09/14 (email sent at 5:45 am on Saturday!?!)

NOA2 letter: 08/13/14

Sent to NVC: 08/19/14 (email notification)

NVC receipt: 09/08/14 (confirmed by phone call)

NVC case #: 09/11/14 (received via email with NVC welcome letter as attachment)

DS-261 done: 09/12/14

--AOS invoice: 09/17/14 (notice via email)

--Invoice paid: 09/18/14

--accepted: 10/1/14 (notice via email)
IV invoice: 10/1/14 (same email)
IV fee paid: 10/4/14
--accepted: 10/8/14 (status changed to "paid" on NVC website)
DS-260 done: 10/9/14
AOS/IV docs
sent: 10/13/14
AOS/IV docs
signed for: 10/17/14
confirmation
email received: 10/18/14 (this email said there will be a 60 day wait before my docs are reviewed)
checklist: 12/11/14 (i864, section 5, one error: "you must enter "1" for yourself...")
New i864 mailed: 12/14/14
Received: 12/18/14 (email notification 12/22/14, with another 60-day warning)
Third N/A: 3/2/15
NVC case
complete: 3/2/15 (confirmed on call to NVC 3/4/15; email received 3/9/15)
Interview date: 4/1/15 (assigned 3/11/15)
APPROVED!!! CEAC status changed to "Issued" on 4/2/15.
Visa and POE
papers in-hand: 4/12/15
POE: 4/16/15 in Minneapolis. Kept my wife and our three-Y.O. waiting in a windowless room with no toilet access for over an hour, then let them through without asking any questions.
But whatever: it's over!!!!! 13 months and 3 days from original priority date.
Green card: Accompanying docs stamped 6/16, but the card did not arrive until 7/2 (approx. 11 weeks after POE).
Now it's really over. Thank you so much to all of you at VJ who helped us through this ordeal.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Concerned if during the consular interview the consular decides that even with joint sponsor that covers proof of support, if I have no job he/she denies the CR-1 visa.

Does the joint sponsor eliminate the negative fact the USC spouse has no job?

Having a qualified joint sponsor is not the same as crossing some goal line of assurance. It's still a judgment call on the public charge issue. The Consular officer must consider the totality of circumstances in making this call. They'll consider, among other things, the income history of the petitioner, the employability of the immigrant and the chances the joint sponsor will actually be willing to support the immigrant.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

As someone who's lived in France for eight years, what strikes me is the fact that taking public assistance is so readily seen as a bad thing: here, nearly everyone (my upper-middle-class self included) receives some form of public aid at some point. We still get a few euros every month just because we have a kid under three!

I think it's completely due to the American attitude to be honest. But Americans are nothing but strong believers in self and their ability to rise above without any help from anyone else. It's a rather resilient attitude that makes America what it is, but that of course has it's detriments as well.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Five off-topic posts removed; if you want to discuss song lyrics, the Off Topic forum is the place to do that.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

I know of one where the petitioner had a life long history of being a welfare recipient and they denied the spouse as likely to become a public charge. They basically told her that her pattern of accepting public benefits showed that the immigrant ( who was not highly educated ) would likely end up following her example.

Does anyone have any updates on this "so called case?" Was this a scare tactic or a real case? Currently life long welfare is 5 yrs. But even with the old welfare system no one could really be considered as having a "life long" because eventually those children grow up {just saying}, and life long would mean until death no need for a visa then! Anyone have any information, I have seen this on VJ files but does any one know this person and what was the outcome?

Edited by John and Tracy

Met online 9/2012

Courtship 3/1/2013

ClockWatch2.gif

Passport for USC 6/10 thru 28/2013 19 days

First face to face meeting Nov. 4th 2013 dancin5hr.gif

Married 19 November 2013 heart.gif

:energy: USCIS-TSC

5/3/2014 Filed I-130

11/3/2014 NOA-1

24/7/2014 NOA-2 {135 days} :dancing:

12/8/2014 Case Shipped {NVC} :dancing:

:energy: NVC

20/8/2014 NVC received

29/8/2014 NVC case #

31/8/2014 DS-261 submitted

3/9/2014 NVC billed AOS & paid

19/9/2014 AOS sent

30/9/2014 IV invoiced

3/10/2014 IV paid

21/10/2014 IV package sent

21/11/2014 Case complete :dance:(L)

03/12/2014 Interview scheduled

08/12/2014 NVC shipped to Embassy "In Transit"

12/12/2014 Ceac shows "Ready"

:energy:Consulate

15/12/2014 Consulate received

07-08/01/2015 Medical {Passed!!!!}

26/01/2015 Interview results {APPROVED} :dance:(L)

26/01/2015 DHL Air Waybill created online

28/01/2015 Air Waybill shows "In Transit" :yes:

29/01/2015 Visa ready for pick up {DHL}

02/02/2015 Visa in hand

26/02/2015 POE

The warmth of true friendship and the love that binds the hearts of husband and wife are a foretaste of heaven. God has ordained that there should be perfect love and perfect harmony between those who enter into the marriage relation. Let bride and bridegroom in the presence of the heavenly universe pledge themselves to love one another as God has ordained they should. {LYL}

Thought to share our journey for those who need the encouragement!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

I don't, and have no idea if anybody else knows them, but the outcome of this case is really meaningless to any other case, as each has its own unique combination of circumstances. Major things to consider include but are not limited to (not even close) reason the sponsor is willing to actually support the immigrant, not just sign an affidavit and be qualified, age and prospects the sponsor will actually be alive to fulfill the responsibility and the prospects the immigrant and spouse can and will support themselves. The Consular Officer is making a judgment call as to how likely it is the immigrant will actually become a public charge. The lack of a qualified sponsor assures no visa, but a qualified sponsor does NOT assure anything.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

I don't, and have no idea if anybody else knows them, but the outcome of this case is really meaningless to any other case, as each has its own unique combination of circumstances. Major things to consider include but are not limited to (not even close) reason the sponsor is willing to actually support the immigrant, not just sign an affidavit and be qualified, age and prospects the sponsor will actually be alive to fulfill the responsibility and the prospects the immigrant and spouse can and will support themselves. The Consular Officer is making a judgment call as to how likely it is the immigrant will actually become a public charge. The lack of a qualified sponsor assures no visa, but a qualified sponsor does NOT assure anything.

What...??? Your words don't make sense "but a qualified sponsor does NOT assure anything." Are you okay? Its hard to see who's side you are really on. Just because a person is a welfare recipient does not mean that if they marry someone that person will be the same way. People are all individuals and free to make their own choices....simple! There are many success stories of people being given a raw deal in life and having to get assistance. But they received it long enough to get on their feet and then they got off and have never been back on again. For anyone to say that it will create a public charge or someone being on the system for ever is bad stereotype. There are many good people in this world that have had just a difficult time sometime in their life. Sorry and please forgive me if you were making a different point. Just my thoughts!

Met online 9/2012

Courtship 3/1/2013

ClockWatch2.gif

Passport for USC 6/10 thru 28/2013 19 days

First face to face meeting Nov. 4th 2013 dancin5hr.gif

Married 19 November 2013 heart.gif

:energy: USCIS-TSC

5/3/2014 Filed I-130

11/3/2014 NOA-1

24/7/2014 NOA-2 {135 days} :dancing:

12/8/2014 Case Shipped {NVC} :dancing:

:energy: NVC

20/8/2014 NVC received

29/8/2014 NVC case #

31/8/2014 DS-261 submitted

3/9/2014 NVC billed AOS & paid

19/9/2014 AOS sent

30/9/2014 IV invoiced

3/10/2014 IV paid

21/10/2014 IV package sent

21/11/2014 Case complete :dance:(L)

03/12/2014 Interview scheduled

08/12/2014 NVC shipped to Embassy "In Transit"

12/12/2014 Ceac shows "Ready"

:energy:Consulate

15/12/2014 Consulate received

07-08/01/2015 Medical {Passed!!!!}

26/01/2015 Interview results {APPROVED} :dance:(L)

26/01/2015 DHL Air Waybill created online

28/01/2015 Air Waybill shows "In Transit" :yes:

29/01/2015 Visa ready for pick up {DHL}

02/02/2015 Visa in hand

26/02/2015 POE

The warmth of true friendship and the love that binds the hearts of husband and wife are a foretaste of heaven. God has ordained that there should be perfect love and perfect harmony between those who enter into the marriage relation. Let bride and bridegroom in the presence of the heavenly universe pledge themselves to love one another as God has ordained they should. {LYL}

Thought to share our journey for those who need the encouragement!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.