jwcassidytx

Travel to Mexico on I 551 Stamp

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Good evening:

My wife is a Ukrainian National.  Last year we filed our I 751 (ROC).  We received the one-year extension letter (I 797) extending travel for a year.  This letter is set to expire in a few weeks.  Will an valid, unexpired Ukrainian passport with an I 551 stamp from USCIS suffice for entry into Mexico as a tourist, or will we need a tourist visa?

Thank you

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
10 minutes ago, jwcassidytx said:

Good evening:

My wife is a Ukrainian National.  Last year we filed our I 751 (ROC).  We received the one-year extension letter (I 797) extending travel for a year.  This letter is set to expire in a few weeks.  Will an valid, unexpired Ukrainian passport with an I 551 stamp from USCIS suffice for entry into Mexico as a tourist, or will we need a tourist visa?

Thank you

This is the info from Mexican Consulate in San Francisco: “US Residents: If your United States visa stamped on your passport already expired but you have an official document proving your legal status in USA, you must apply for a Mexican visa (I-797 A Forms, Advance Parole Forms, I-20 OR DS-2019 Forms won’t be accepted to entering Mexico), unless you have a valid Visa for any of the countries listed above (Canada, Japan, United Kingdom or Schengen area).”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Thank you for the reference to the Consulate of Mexico's web site.  A permanent resident of the USA is not on a visa, they are a permanent resident.  The forms that you have referenced are for non permanent residents.  I am hoping someone has first-hand experience with the I 551 stamp and travel to Mexico.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
11 hours ago, jwcassidytx said:

Thank you for the reference to the Consulate of Mexico's web site.  A permanent resident of the USA is not on a visa, they are a permanent resident.  The forms that you have referenced are for non permanent residents.  I am hoping someone has first-hand experience with the I 551 stamp and travel to Mexico.

Yuliya Lipina actually referred correct.. This is exactly how it's worded on the Consulate of Mexico website. 

Seems like whatever is stamped in your passport is called "visa" for them.

A lot of people (US residents) had to go to get their passports stamped with I-551 even with a valid Extension latter, to be able to travel to Mexico.. At the same time a lot entered Mexico with a "combo" of an expired green card + Ext letter without any issue...

So, with  I-551 stamp in the passport your wife should be good anyway.

Have a safe trip!!

Edited by Ksenia_O

• 5 months later...
12 hours ago, Bolivian said:

Hello, I’m having the same problem. I have an I 551 stamp on my passport and planning on going to Mexico next month. Visa was denied and was wondering if the stamp will allow me to enter Mexico.could you please tell me if your wife was able to travel to Mexico without a visa? Thank you

O F F I C I A L I N F O R M A T I O N
From the Mexican Government
TURIST VISA (FMT)Permanent Residents of the United States of America, and of Canada
A foreigner of any country, who is a permanent resident of the United States of America or of Canada, may travel to Mexico without a visa or a consular stamp on the passport. The person should travel with the valid passport and the valid US Resident Alien Card (Green Card) or Permanent Resident Card (Canada). If you do not have a valid Resident Alien Card or Permanent Resident Card, you may travel to Mexico if your passport bears a valid stamp from the US immigration authorities (US Citizenship and Immigration Services), or from Canada (Immigration Canada), indicating you are a Permanent Resident. A card will be issued to you on boarding the plane or at the port of entry.

Thanks for responding. I found the same information, but I went to the consulate of Mexico in Houston to make sure that I would not have any problems at the airport and they said I needed a Visa. I applied and it was denied 😪 Now I’m stuck with an all inclusive vacation I paid for 8 months ago when I still had a Green Card and had no idea I would be in a situation like this.

Edited by Bolivian

Seems odd that they would deny a visa to a US LPR.

not sure what to advise you...book a refundable airfare and take a chance, seeing as the vacation is non-refundable?

When are you roughly expecting your physical GC to arrive?

8 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

Seems odd that they would deny a visa to a US LPR.

not sure what to advise you...book a refundable airfare and take a chance, seeing as the vacation is non-refundable?

When are you roughly expecting your physical GC to arrive?

I applied for my citizenship a year ago so I’m waiting on that to go through, not getting a new green card. The visa was denied because I was not able to prove economic solvency, not because I don’t have an income or a job but because my wallet was stolen ( green card was in it) and they used my ID to take my money out of the bank. All my accounts were closed as a result of this fraudulent activity creating a balance of 0 dollars on the bank statement for the month of April. 🤦‍♀️ Also, I tried using my husbands statements but my name on my marriage license does not match the name on my passport ( they only put one last name on the license) and apparently in Mexico when you don’t use all of your names you are considered 2 different people. 🤷🏼‍♀️

• 9 months later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

So has anyone gone to Mexico with a I551 stamp without a problem ? I know coming back is not a problem, but will the airline allow to board from the US ?

• 1 month later...

The problem with this lies within TIMATIC which is used by any airline that transports passengers internationally.

If you pick any country that requires a visa to Mexico that is then waived by having US Permanent residence, it states: 

The following are exempt from holding a visa:

Passengers with a Permanent Resident or Resident Alien Card (Form I-551) issued by USA for a maximum stay of 180 days.

There is no exemption in there listed for having a stamp in lieu of the card. Your airline will most likely deny boarding because of the way TIMATIC is written.

A good resource for checking required documents can be found on United Airlines' website here

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

First hand experience with I551 wet ink stamp (yes, wet ink is different from an actual machine printed stamp) and travelling to Mexico

Situation: Expired Green Card, ROC pending, extension letter expired, took the info pass appointment and got the I551 wet ink stamp 

Problem: Mexico allows individuals to travel to Mexico if they are permanent residents of the US or if they have have a valid US tourist or work VISA or any other US visa, but it needs to be valid, non-expired. This post is specific for US green card holders whose green cards have expired and are stuck in the ROC limbo.  

My experience:

So  can you travel to Mexico under the following situation ? or the real question is do you need a Mexican Visa if you 

1) expired green card, expired extension letter and valid I551 wet ink stamp

When I booked my all inclusive vacation package, I just had the I551 wet ink stamp and thought it will be enough for entering Mexico. But then I read and read and read and got confused, was it really going to be enough ? So out of nervousness I went to the airport and checked with a United checkin agent ( the place where you check your bags in) and she checked with a supervisor and told me they will let me board the flight with the wet ink stamp. So I jumped with joy and came back home. Then I read and read and got confused again. Just to be on the safe side I thought I will get the Mexico Visa, lucky me I got an appointment at the consulate just a week before my travel date. Went there and got the Visa. I asked the consulate lady whether a Visa is really needed for my situation (expired GC, and wet ink stamp remember).  The consulate lady said yes it is needed. Phew .. Glad I came and got the Visa!!

On the travel day, of course the automated Kiosk at United would not check me in, the only options on the screen, 1) do you have a valid US Visa, 2) are you a permanent resident of the US. Yes, I am option 2 but the GC is expired. So went to the counter. The agent did not even look at my Mexico Visa, looked at the i551 wet ink stamp and gave me my boarding pass. OK, yay .. I am going to Mexico! I was so unsure until that morning, coz I have been barred from boarding the plane before due to the extension letter. So it was natural to have a little anxiety. That is another long story for some other time. 

Next, Mexico immigration, be prepared for long lines. Went with the entire family, wife is a US citizen, parents have US visitor Visas and me. The officer started with me, asked me if I have a GC, I said it is expired but I have the I551 wet ink stamp. He looked at at stamp and asked me if I have the extension letter. I said yes, but it is expired. He said he still wanted to see it. Showed it to him and he said cool. Again, did NOT even look at the Mexico Visa. I asked him if a Mexico Visa would have been needed. He said no, if you have the letter and stamp you are fine. I told him, the lady at the Mexican consulate said I need the Visa to which he said not sure why but it is not needed in my situation. However, there was not a lot of confidence in his sound when he said the last statement. 

So there you have it. A wet ink I551 stamp is fine for travelling to Mexico. If you are unsure, just get the Mexico Visa for peace of mind. There is a Mexican consulate in every major city in US, it costs $36 and requires you to book an appointment online and physically present with the the passport and documents. 

I took a Mexico Visa just to be on the safe side. The Mexico Visa is easy to apply, is as simple as filling out the online form, print it out, collect the evidence proving you do not plan to immigrate to Mexico, take an online appointment (take it as soon as you can cox they fill out very quick), go to the local mexico consulate, submit the documentation, wait for an hour and wolla you have a Visa. It was one of the most easiest Visa processes in my opinion, provided you have all the correct documentation. 

(I will do a separate post for Mexico Visa experience)_

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
On 6/8/2018 at 8:42 PM, Bolivian said:

Hello, I’m having the same problem. I have an I 551 stamp on my passport and planning on going to Mexico next month. Visa was denied and was wondering if the stamp will allow me to enter Mexico.could you please tell me if your wife was able to travel to Mexico without a visa? Thank you

If your visa was denied on a passport with an I-551 stamp, you should not attempt to fly to Mexico.  

Maybe fly to El Paso and try walking into Juarez.  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.