confusedenthused

My foriegn fiance has a criminal record

39 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello all--

After doing some research today, it looks doubtful that my foreign fiance will be eligible for a K1 visa like I originally thought. He had a petty drug offense but he was charged as a trafficker despite having a small quantity and spent 2.5 years in prison--his home country has a very serious stance on drug offenses. He had two different types of drugs and not only marijuana. It seems that that precludes him from getting the K1 visa. Am I correct?

Do you think he would be a good candidate for a waiver? He is an artist and not involved in drugs at all anymore, he has been out of prison since 2013. Any way it might be possible for us to live in the US together and for him to immigrate?

Also, how important is it that he speak English before his interview? We communicate in his native tongue.

Thank you for your help.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

A person is not eligible to apply for a K-1 visa or any other kind of visa that would grant them legal entry into the United States if he or she:

Has HIV any other type of communicable disease.Have a physical or mental disorder that could cause them to harm others.Has a record of drug abuse.Has a criminal record.Is directly related to a known drug trafficker and may have consciously benefited from money resulting from the sale of narcotics.Has ever committed espionage or sabotage.Belongs to a totalitarian party.Is a Nazi or has ever taken part in propagating any kind of genocide.Has ever lied by illegally claiming to be a U.S. citizen.Has spent time in the United States illegally.Has ever been deported or asked to leave the U.S.Is married to more than one person.Has abducted a child over international borders.Is subject to the two-year foreign residency requirement under a J-2 or J-1 exchange visitor visa.Would have no means of financial support once they had entered the United States.Has ever committed marriage fraud.

This is all I found, 2.5 years usa might not consider petty. Not sure on waivers but I am sure someone will chime in. Good luck

Edited by FarrahIdir

7/30/2015 Sent I130 priority mail to have tracking, I suggest you do the same.

8/4/2015 NOA1 (Nebraska)

12/17/2015 NOA2

♤♤while waiting for noa2, I read this wiki to get through

NVC quickly ->http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

12/24/2015 Petition Sent to NVC from Nebraska

1/4/2016 petition received at NVC (call and confirm it arrives. About 15 days try to get your case number and receipt number, I got mine in 11 days)

1/15/2016 Called NVC and got case/invoice number logged into this site to pay fees, pick agent -> https://ceac.state.gov/IV/Login.aspx 1/15/2016 picked agent DS-261

1/18/2016 paid aos fee

1/28/2016 review 261 to get iv fee unlocked ( unlocked once I did review,was taking to long)

2/1/ 2016 sent AOS & IV packets together to nvc while I waited for iv fee to open to save time.

2/4/2016 paid IV Fee and waited to do ds260

2/3/2016 nvc received aos and iv packets(scan date)

2/7/2016 ds260 completed and now waiting for cc

♧CASE COMPLETE. .. march 8th

3/11/15 interview email

4/20/15 shots 4/25/15 rest of medical exam

INTERVIEW APRIL 27TH @8:30

April 27th 221g for additional documentation and placed in administrative processsing.

June 20th submitted evidence requested

June 23rd case was touched by embassy

August 1st case was touched again.

AUGUST 16TH embassy called and wants a new co sponser yet he met requirements.

Found a new co-sponsor

Handed in aos sept 11th

Set 18th another update

Sept 28th update and embassy called

SEPT 29TH ISSUED FINALLY

OCT 2nd visa in hand

POE October 22nd 2016

APPROVED

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

A person is not eligible to apply for a K-1 visa or any other kind of visa that would grant them legal entry into the United States if he or she:

Has HIV any other type of communicable disease.Have a physical or mental disorder that could cause them to harm others.Has a record of drug abuse.Has a criminal record.Is directly related to a known drug trafficker and may have consciously benefited from money resulting from the sale of narcotics.Has ever committed espionage or sabotage.Belongs to a totalitarian party.Is a Nazi or has ever taken part in propagating any kind of genocide.Has ever lied by illegally claiming to be a U.S. citizen.Has spent time in the United States illegally.Has ever been deported or asked to leave the U.S.Is married to more than one person.Has abducted a child over international borders.Is subject to the two-year foreign residency requirement under a J-2 or J-1 exchange visitor visa.Would have no means of financial support once they had entered the United States.Has ever committed marriage fraud.

This is all I found, 2.5 years usa might not consider petty. Not sure on waivers but I am sure someone will chime in. Good luck

Outdated information in regards to HIV. Not the issue at hand, but those with hiv are not automatically denied.

Timeline

Got it off government site..... idk. Maybe someone should message them to correct it.

8/4/2015 NOA1 (Nebraska)

12/17/2015 NOA2

1/4/2016 petition received at NVC (call and confirm it arrives. About 15 days try to get your case number and receipt number, I got mine in 11 days)

1/15/2016 Called NVC and got case/invoice number logged into this site to pay fees, pick agent -> https://ceac.state.gov/IV/Login.aspx 1/15/2016 picked agent DS-261

1/18/2016 paid aos fee

1/28/2016 review 261 to get iv fee unlocked ( unlocked once I did review,was taking to long)

2/1/ 2016 sent AOS & IV packets together to nvc while I waited for iv fee to open to save time.

3/11/15 interview email

April 27th 221g for additional documentation and placed in administrative processsing.

Found a new co-sponsor

Handed in aos sept 11th

Set 18th another update

SEPT 29TH ISSUED FINALLY

OCT 2nd visa in hand

POE October 22nd 2016

APPROVED

Timeline

Outdated information in regards to HIV. Not the issue at hand, but those with hiv are not automatically denied.

I would hope even if someone has hiv, if treated they can come. I know medicine has come a long way.
Much better... thanks Edited by FarrahIdir

8/4/2015 NOA1 (Nebraska)

12/17/2015 NOA2

1/18/2016 paid aos fee

3/11/15 interview email

Found a new co-sponsor

Handed in aos sept 11th

Set 18th another update

SEPT 29TH ISSUED FINALLY

OCT 2nd visa in hand

POE October 22nd 2016

APPROVED

Thank you for your reply @Farrahidir and @Transborderwife. Do you know of any other options for my fiance to come here? In other words, will he always be prohibited from being here with me?

I am disappointed. :-(

If anyone else has experience or advice around the issue of getting a waiver, please let me know.

Thanks again.

Timeline

Thank you for your reply @Farrahidir and @Transborderwife. Do you know of any other options for my fiance to come here? In other words, will he always be prohibited from being here with me?

I am disappointed. :-(

If anyone else has experience or advice around the issue of getting a waiver, please let me know.

Thanks again.

hopefully someone will chime in knowing waivers. I have no knowledge in this, sorry. Best of luck

8/4/2015 NOA1 (Nebraska)

12/17/2015 NOA2

1/18/2016 paid aos fee

3/11/15 interview email

Found a new co-sponsor

Handed in aos sept 11th

Set 18th another update

SEPT 29TH ISSUED FINALLY

OCT 2nd visa in hand

POE October 22nd 2016

APPROVED

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Like I always say I find the immigrate2us website difficult to navigate.

I would suggest you contact a good reputable immigration lawyer who specializes in waivers. Lizz Cannon did ours. She is highly recommended and knowledgeable. She will give you a free consult.

Hi LionessDeon,

I saw that link and that is something that made me think he probably isn't eligible for the K1. Thank you for the attorney recommendation, also!

@Nigeriaorbust, I am not sure the legal terminology of what he did, it was more like drug sales than trafficking, but I am not sure there is a difference legally. I have lived in his country but it hard, near impossible, for me to legally work there as a foreigner. I will have to think creatively about how to make it possible. We never wanted to stay in the US forever but we would like to have the option to come here/live here if necessary.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

@Nigeriaorbust, I am not sure the legal terminology of what he did, it was more like drug sales than trafficking, but I am not sure there is a difference legally.

I have lived in his country but it hard, near impossible, for me to legally work there as a foreigner. I will have to think creatively about how to make it possible. We never wanted to stay in the US forever but we would like to have the option to come here/live here if necessary.

You need a copy of his criminal record or the court verdict, so you can see the exact crime he was found guilty of. There is a huge difference between possession for personal use, possession with intent to distribute and drug trafficking. E.g. drug trafficking is considered an aggravated felony, which carries deportation if committed by an alien in the US and a lifelong ban. When it comes to possession for personal use, I believe there are people here on VJ who have successfully gotten a waiver for that crime. I would definitely hire a lawyer if I were you.

Wouldn't you be allowed to work in his country if you marry and you immigrate there as his spouse? Maybe there are other countries that the two of you would be able to move to, if your fiance is not able to immigrate to the US?

Edit: What country is your fiance from? That might also impact the visa journey and your chance of a waiver.

Edited by mallafri76

Met online October 2010

Engaged December 31st 2011

heart.gifMarried May 14th 2013 heart.gif

USCIS Stage

September 8th 2014 - Filed I-130 with Nebraska Service Center

September 16th 2014 - NOA1 received

March 2nd 2015 - NOA2 received :dancing:

NVC Stage

March 28th 2015 - Choice of agent complete & AOS fee paid

April 17th 2015 - IV fee paid

May 1st 2015 - Sent in IV application

May 12th 2015 - Sent in AOS and IV documents

May 18th 2015 - Scan Date

June 18th 2015 - Checklist received

June 22nd 2015 - Checklist response sent to NVC

June 25th 2015 - Put for Supervisor Review

Sept 15th 2015 - Request help from Texas US Senator Cornyn and his team

Sept 23rd 2015 - Our case is moved from supervisor review to NVC's team for dealing with Senator requests

Nov 4th 2015 - CASE COMPLETE!!!! :dancing:

Embassy Stage

Dec 16th 2015 - Medical exam

Dec 21st 2015 - Interview

Dec 21st 2015 - 221(g) issued at interview for updated forms

Jan 13th 2016 - Mailed our reply to the 221(g) to the US Embassy, received and CEAC updated the next morning

Jan 20th 2016 - Embassy require more in-depth info on asset for i-864

Feb 1st 2016 - Sent more in-depth info on assets as requested. Received the next morning

Feb 16th 2016 - Visa has been issued :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

In the US

April 5th 2016 - POE Newark. No questions asked.

April 14th 2016 - SSN received

May 10th 2016 - First day at my new job :dancing:

May 27th 2016 - Green Card received

June 7th 2016 - Got my Texas driver's license

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

You need a copy of his criminal record or the court verdict, so you can see the exact crime he was found guilty of. There is a huge difference between possession for personal use, possession with intent to distribute and drug trafficking. E.g. drug trafficking is considered an aggravated felony, which carries deportation if committed by an alien in the US and a lifelong ban. When it comes to possession for personal use, I believe there are people here on VJ who have successfully gotten a waiver for that crime. I would definitely hire a lawyer if I were you.

Wouldn't you be allowed to work in his country if you marry and you immigrate there as his spouse? Maybe there are other countries that the two of you would be able to move to, if your fiance is not able to immigrate to the US?

Edit: What country is your fiance from? That might also impact the visa journey and your chance of a waiver.

Were those people charged with "trafficking"?

The charge is what makes the difference.

It is my understanding that it is not up to the U.S. govt to determine how laws are carried out in other countries and/or how fair the charges were or not. The govt upholds the the convictions unless those tricky political issues like authoritarian govt abuse of power on his people. So whether the drug laws are harsher there than in the US is not the issue because the offense was not committed here.

Anyway, that was long. whew!

I agree with other comments for OP to try the immigration website suggested or try an immigration attorney.

Some people have been able to do drug testing or drug rehab to help their case. But find an expert opinion.

There might be a way.

(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)

CR- 1

Interview :  11/15/2016

Result: AP  (form 221 (g))

Correspondence with Embassy: Tons of emails, Facebook posts, tweets, Congressman inquiry

Complaint letter with OIG : 12/29/2016

Case dispatched to diplomatic pouch : 01/11/2017

Case dispatched from diplomatic mail service to NVC : 01/23/2017

Case arrived at NVC: 01/26/2017

NVC sent case to USCIS : 02/09/2017 (system update)

Case receive by USCIS (text & email notification): 03/07/2017

Reaffirm Petition Timeline for folks in GHANA.. Please update your information..Thank you!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k0NXnbJdyEIRR1_Dr4t3yXmsM0tBbq-tZsj0-o3cMV0/edit?usp=sharing

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.