Janelle2002

What is George W. Bush's only regret over invading Iraq?

68 posts in this topic

Former President George W. Bush is hawking his book '41,' and sharing his views on Iraq, Obama, and Jeb Bush 2016.

csm_logo_115.jpg
By Husna Haq6 hours ago

“Do you have any regrets [about sending troops into Iraq]?” Schieffer asked. “I mean, do you ever feel that maybe it was the wrong decision?”

“No I think it was the right decision,” Bush said, but he said he regretted the rise of the Islamic State (ISIS) in parts of Iraq.

Recommended:

“My regret is that a violent group of people has risen up again. This is al Qaeda plus. I put in the book that they need to be defeated. And I hope we do [defeat them].”

After spending six years largely out of the limelight, former President George W. Bush is making the rounds to promote his new book, "41," an affectionate biography of his father. Along the way, he's opened up to major networks and newspapers, offering surprisingly candid thoughts on his brother Jeb, his father grief over the second term he never had, and his advice to President Obama after the crushing Democratic defeat of last Tuesday's midterm.

But first, Bush had more to say about ISIS, including a thinly veiled jab at Obama's policy decisions in Iraq.

Though he has generally declined to critique Obama's presidency, Bush did write in his book that he regretted "subsequent developments and decisions" after he left office that contributed to the rise of ISIS, which threatened Iraq's struggling democracy.

"For the sake of our security and the Iraqi people, I hope we will do what it takes to succeed," he writes.

Bush also said that he was surprised that in 2003 Saddam Hussein did not abandon his country and leave when the United States threatened to invade.

“I thought there was a chance, yeah, I certainly hoped so,” Mr. Bush said. “But he didn’t. And so that’s why I put in the book, he chose war, twice.”

He also weighed in on the midterm election and commiserated with Obama on one point.

“It’ll be fascinating to watch the level of cooperation develop, and I hope it does,” Bush said in an interview that aired Monday on NBC’s “Today” show. “The other thing is, people get kind of tired of a president after awhile — I’m a pro.”

He echoed that sentiment in his book, writing, "There's a reality about every two-term presidency: Toward its end, Americans grow weary of the president," adding in parentheses, "(Tell me about it!)"

Given that the author and subject of "41" are two related American presidents, the book reopens conjecture about a potential presidential run for Jeb Bush. The book also highlights the impressive Bush political dynasty.

And Bush hasn't been shy about speaking up on whether brother Jeb will run for president in 2016.

"I think he'd be a superb president and I think he'd be a very good candidate and I think he could heal wounds," Bush told USA Today. "Dad very much wants him to run, Mother, of course, has had a different point of view."

Still, Bush says he would "be all out" in campaigning for Jeb. "If he wants me to, I'd be helping him as best I can."

Jeb might need all the help he can get, according to the Monitor's Brad Knickerbocker.

"If the race ends up being dynasty-versus-dynasty (and the election was held today), Jeb Bush would have a challenge," he writes. "In the Real Clear Politics polling average, he trails the former secretary of state [Hillary Clinton] by 10 percentage points. But among Republicans thinking about their party’s nomination, he’s neck-and-neck with Sen. Rand Paul for the top spot."

As it turns out, for Jeb Bush, being a member of the Bush dynasty could be a double-edged sword.

http://news.yahoo.com/george-w-bushs-only-regret-over-invading-iraq-174319721.html

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

He did nothing wrong, it's all Obola's fault. True story.

Oct 19, 2010 I-130 application submitted to US Embassy Seoul, South Korea

Oct 22, 2010 I-130 application approved

Oct 22, 2010 packet 3 received via email

Nov 15, 2010 DS-230 part 1 faxed to US Embassy Seoul

Nov 15, 2010 Appointment for visa interview made on-line

Nov 16, 2010 Confirmation of appointment received via email

Dec 13, 2010 Interview date

Dec 15, 2010 CR-1 received via courier

Mar 29, 2011 POE Detroit Michigan

Feb 15, 2012 Change of address via telephone

Jan 10, 2013 I-751 packet mailed to Vermont Service CenterJan 15, 2013 NOA1

Jan 31, 2013 Biometrics appointment letter received

Feb 20, 2013 Biometric appointment date

June 14, 2013 RFE

June 24, 2013 Responded to RFE

July 24, 2013 Removal of conditions approved

He did nothing wrong, it's all Obola's fault. True story.

He's not even sorry for the lives lost in 911 or the evasion of Iraq.

I know it's all Oboli's fault, I just want to find another person to blame it on too.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

He is a class act and an overall great man. He did a great job as President. His only main faults are his honesty and he is not a great public speaker.

He is a class act and an overall great man. He did a great job as President. His only main faults are his honesty and he is not a great public speaker.

I thought winning a popularity contest is all that is needed to win a Presidency seat.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I thought winning a popularity contest is all that is needed to win a Presidency seat.

Doesn't mean he isn't a great man with high morals.

What's your point anyways?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

The most disgraceful on-record presidential act in history was the Boy President standing in front of a class of grade-schoolers like a deer in headlights when he got word that the SECOND plane had hit the twin towers and the USA was under attack.

Yes, this brave and decisive commander in chief of the armed forces stood like an imbecile, not knowing what to do when seconds were making a difference given the fighter jet and missile technology the president has at his beck and call. He had been briefed a month before that Bin Laden was determined to attack inside the USA. His intelligence chief's "hair was on fire" given all the chatter intelligence was picking up... but the boy president went on vacation and even told the Boy Scouts before leaving how important it was for the President and Commander in Chief to be a slacker instead of a hard worker. He was on vacation when he got that Presidential Daily Brief about Bin Laden attacking the USA and that is just so fitting a description for what this silver-spoon aristocrat was like. Lazy. Asleep at the wheel.

Then he out-did even himself! The greatest strategic military disaster in the history of the USA - sending his minions out to drum up a false case for war against Iraq while at the same time outsourcing the capture of Bin Laden to his own friends. He started off saying we would stop at nothing to capture him, then didn't even try (by comparison to what he WAS doing), and even disbanded the undermanned/underfunded CIA group that was tasked with looking for him. He destroyed not only an entire country, but in the Cradle of Civilization where priceless museum pieces, on the order of ten thousand years old were looted.

He had people tortured. Then the torture "confessions" were used to bolster the case for invading Iraq! He'd be at the Hague hanging from a noose if superpowers had to follow the same standards as tin pot dictators.

But the fact Americans stood behind this guy and re-elected him after it was already known his claims about WMD's and their imminent use were lies - and that they had committed atrocities at Abu Graihb and elsewhere.... that tells me he just represents Americans. So shame on us. This was our man. We're fine with war crimes, torture, brazen lies, world record incompetence and shoveling money to your cronies in Haliburton et al.

This does not excuse Obama, Clinton, Johnson, etc. Lady Bird Johnson owned stock in Bell Helicopters. Viet Nam was called the Helicopter War because that's the most important tactical weapon used, and they were getting them blown up in massive numbers. What is different from Cheney profiting $30 million off the Iraq war via Haliburton stock? He says it was in a trust, so therefore there was no benefit to him? Like he doesn't benefit from everywhere he directs this trust to pour money into? Are we this stupid?

Yes, apparently we are. We are Bush. We are Obama.

Edited by rlogan

Some people will hate Bush forever and refuse to see anything good in the man. Just like some people are with Obama. What's funny is they can see it in the others but not see it in themselves.

The most disgraceful on-record presidential act in history was the Boy President standing in front of a class of grade-schoolers like a deer in headlights when he got word that the SECOND plane had hit the twin towers and the USA was under attack.

Out of all the disgraceful, immoral, and even criminal acts committed by our Presidents throughout history, this is the one you think is the worst??

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

W was by far the worst president this country ever had. He was even worse than Obama 0'bola and yet some will defend him. I will defend him against the truthers in that I don't believe 9/11 was a plot and he was in on it. I don't think he should have led us into invading Iraq, but We The People were misled by a leader who was misled by wrong intel. His reaction, or lack thereof, on 9/11 will forever be remembered as the moment the country and POTUS were paralyzed. One thing is for certain: W was no Roosevelt.

Having said all that, I don't believe he was part of any conspiracy to destroy our country as the birthers and truthers would have one believe. I believe he did the best he could with his limited intellect and political prowess.

Some people will hate Bush forever and refuse to see anything good in the man. Just like some people are with Obama. What's funny is they can see it in the others but not see it in themselves.

Out of all the disgraceful, immoral, and even criminal acts committed by our Presidents throughout history, this is the one you think is the worst??

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

I believe he did the best he could with his limited intellect and political prowess.

Just commenting on this: I've noticed when those on the left disagree with someone it's because the other person is not smart. When those on the right disagree with someone it's because the other person is not patriotic.

And I'm not trying to pretend I'm "middle of the road" guy; I have my own political leanings. I just try to be open-minded.

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

In the case of W, all you need do is listen to his rhetoric. 'Newkewlar', 'misunderestimate' and 'the internets' come to mind, as the tips of an immense iceberg.

Just commenting on this: I've noticed when those on the left disagree with someone it's because the other person is not smart. When those on the right disagree with someone it's because the other person is not patriotic.

And I'm not trying to pretend I'm "middle of the road" guy; I have my own political leanings. I just try to be open-minded.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org