Gambianbabyduedec

Dreadlocks/appearance for interview

21 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Gambia
Timeline

Hi everyone I am a USC. My fiancée is in Gambia (consulate in Senegal) we have the first notice of action in June and are preparing for noa2 and interview etc. My question is regarding my fiancée appearance... He is a 28 year old male and he has dredlocks. I know in a lot of cultures dredlocks are associated with some negative stereotypes. Even in Gambia A lot of guys who have dreds are associated with being bums and lazy and drugs. My fiancée doesn't drink, doesn't smoke, is a gentle, hardworking guy. BUT I was wondering if I should suggest he cut off his dredlocks to be taken more seriously at immigration and not stereotyped. I wanted some feedback from VJ before I asked him to do it because I know he will but he probably would like to keep his hairstyle. I am 7 months preggo with our first child and don't want to rock the boat in any way. So what do u think? Cut them or it doesnt matter?? Thx

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Barbados
Timeline

DONT CUT, make sure he goes to a salon and have them cleaned up and washed and wear something nice like dress shirt and tie and slacks. once his locks are clean and tidy thats all that matters.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

I wish i had dreads. There was a two to three year windown when it was possible but that ship saiied -- I'm back working in corporate America

K1 Visa Event Date Service Center : Texas Service Center Transferred? No Consulate : Juarez, Mexico

I-129F: Sent 9/5/2014

I-129F: Arrived at Lewisville 9/8/2014

I-129F: NOA1 Text message/mail 9/11/2014

I-129F: Alien Registration Number Changed 9/16/2014

I-129F: Request to correct on document or notice assigned to an officer for response 10/25/2014

I-129F: Name Change request made 10/31/2014

I-129F: Crickets as of today

Hi,

This isn't a job interview so there is no need to look a "certain" way. Yes he should dress and act conservatively, but he could go in with a mohawk and that shouldn't have a negative effect on his application.

This decision is based on legal facts such as his paperwork is in order, he is free to marry, etc. A person cannot and should not be prejudged by their personal appearance in order to get a visa he is otherwise eligible to get.

If it were a tourist visa you could say the CO could deny him because they have very broad discretion, but this is a fiance visa where the discretion is more limited in terms of what they have to consider.

Trust me, if appearance mattered people would be denied for their race, religion, gender, etc. So as suggested previously, he can go to a salon and have them fixed up a bit just like if you go and get a shape up or a trim, but don't have him cut them because this won't affect his case. Good luck.

This does not constitute legal advice.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

My fiancé has locks and is Rastafarian. I would never ever ask him to cut them off. Very often he pulls them back in a ponytail. I think he looks just fine and just as presentable as anyone else. To judge by something as superficial as looks to deny a visa would be a great injustice. I would seriously hope that would not occur. It wouldn't go over well with me or my fiancé.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Wow lol

Well I am surprised at the responses! Interesting ok so I may think again about asking him to cut his hair ?

?. On a personal note... Wouldn't you hate to see them gone? I luv my fiance's hair.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Gambia
Timeline

Hmmm I don't know. I guess it's just the association attached to them, we are Muslim and though I respect other cultures/religions fully, I don't really like when people refer to him as rasta. I also think that being that we have a child coming that perhaps a haircut would be a mature move. But I am happy to hear these responses as maybe I can just leave his hairstyle up to him.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

A very refreshing post about an OP wanting to do the right thing making necessary changes...,.,,,instead of defending the way a person, if.,.,and not willing to change.,...,.very refreshing..,..,you and your to "BE" are wonderful examples to this site!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

A very refreshing post about an OP wanting to do the right thing making necessary changes...,.,,,instead of defending the way a person, if.,.,and not willing to change.,...,.very refreshing..,..,you and your to "BE" are wonderful examples to this site!

im lost.

USCIS BE LIKE.......WE ARE WORKING AS FAST AS WE CAN GUYS!

snail_mail.jpg

28 Sep 2014 -- Mailed I-129F

01 Oct 2014 -- I-129F Delivered to USCIS

06 Oct 2014 -- NOA1 Received via Text/Email

14 Oct 2014 -- NOA1 Hard Copy Received

23 Oct 2014 -- Petition Approved as per USCIS website

30 Oct 2014 -- NOA2 Hard Copy Received

07 Nov 2014 -- NVC Received Petition

10 Nov 2014 -- NVC Case Number Assigned

17 Nov 2014 -- Status Update "Ready for Interview" as per CEAC website

20 Nov 2014 -- NVC Case# Notice Received

22 Nov 2014 -- Medical

16 Dec 2014 -- Interview

18 Dec 2014 -- 221(g) Received via email

22 Dec 2014 -- RFE Instructions received via email

05 Feb 2015 -- RFE Requirements submitted

15 Apr 2015 -- Visa Issued as per CEAC Website

17 Apr 2015 -- Received Embassy Email, Visa on the way!!!!

20 Apr 2015 -- Visa OnHand :)

27 Apr 2015 -- CFO Appointment

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Umm I'm lost too!

My blog about my visa journey and adjusting to my new life in the US http://albiontoamerica.wordpress.com/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

You took him seriously when he proposed, and I assume he had the dreads then. Why should the consulate/embassy not take him seriously because of dreads? That's not how things work anymore.

Umm, on another note: fiancée is to girl as fiancé is to boy. Not to worry so much though, I remember a friend's daughter while missionaries in Kenya addressing a letter to 'Grandma and Grandmale.' She is now all grow'd up and I often remind her of that letter.

AOS, ROC, N-400, & PASSPORT, FOR HUSBAND TO USC

[02/23, 2012]  - DAY 001  (day 0001) (AOS) Mailed package to Chicago Lockbox via USPS overnight
[06/01, 2012]  - 
DAY 099  (day 0099) 2-year Conditional GC in hand
[05/05, 2014]  - DAY 001  (day 0802) (ROC) Mailed package to Vermont Service Center via USPS overnight

[05/14, 2014]  - DAY 009  (day 0811) Received NOA1 (GC Extended for 1 year)

[01/14, 2016]  - DAY 620  (day 1421) 10-year GC in hand

[02/22, 2017]  - DAY 001  (day 1826) (N-400) Mailed package to Lewisville, TX, via USPS overnight

[01/10, 2018]  - DAY 323  (day 2149) (N-400) Naturalization Oath Ceremony (5 years, 10 months, 19 days)

[01/10, 2018]  - DAY 001  (day 2149) (US Passport) Applied for US Passport, regular processing

01/25, 2018]  - DAY 015  (day 2164) (US Passport) Passport in hand (5 years, 11 months, 3 days from start of Journey.)

AOS, N-400, & PASSPORT FOR DAUGHTER [OF HUSBAND TO USC]

[06/14, 2013] - DAY 001 Mailed package to Chicago Lockbox via USPS overnight
[11/21, 2013] - Day 153 SSN and 10-year GC in hand

09/01, 2021]  - (day 3001) (US Passport) Passport in hand (8 years, 2 months, 18 days from start of Journey.)

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Except the Lord build the house, they labour in vain that build it: except the Lord keep the city, the watchman waketh but in vain. Psalm 127:1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belgium
Timeline

if he dresses well (not overdoing), puts them nicely in a bun... It will look clean :)

K1

AOS

ROC

09/14/2017 : Package Sent (CSC)

09/15/2017 : Package Received (CSC)

09/15/2017 : NOA1 Date

10/12/2017 : Biometrics

--/--/---- : Interview

--/--/---- : Decision

N400

09/01/2018 : Application Sent (online)

--/--/---- NOA1 Date

--/--/---- : Biometrics

--/--/---- : Interview

--/--/---- : Decision

So it's not gonna be easy.

It's going to be really hard;

we're gonna have to work at this everyday,

but I want to do that because I want you.

I want all of you, forever, everyday.

You and me.. everyday.

___The NoteBook

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Having dreads is the wrong thing? It is a wrong look?

Should he then bleach his skin at the same time, so he can be an even greater model of the right immigrant.

AOS, ROC, N-400, & PASSPORT, FOR HUSBAND TO USC

[02/23, 2012]  - DAY 001  (day 0001) (AOS) Mailed package to Chicago Lockbox via USPS overnight
[06/01, 2012]  - 
DAY 099  (day 0099) 2-year Conditional GC in hand
[05/05, 2014]  - DAY 001  (day 0802) (ROC) Mailed package to Vermont Service Center via USPS overnight

[05/14, 2014]  - DAY 009  (day 0811) Received NOA1 (GC Extended for 1 year)

[01/14, 2016]  - DAY 620  (day 1421) 10-year GC in hand

[02/22, 2017]  - DAY 001  (day 1826) (N-400) Mailed package to Lewisville, TX, via USPS overnight

[01/10, 2018]  - DAY 323  (day 2149) (N-400) Naturalization Oath Ceremony (5 years, 10 months, 19 days)

[01/10, 2018]  - DAY 001  (day 2149) (US Passport) Applied for US Passport, regular processing

01/25, 2018]  - DAY 015  (day 2164) (US Passport) Passport in hand (5 years, 11 months, 3 days from start of Journey.)

AOS, N-400, & PASSPORT FOR DAUGHTER [OF HUSBAND TO USC]

[06/14, 2013] - DAY 001 Mailed package to Chicago Lockbox via USPS overnight
[11/21, 2013] - Day 153 SSN and 10-year GC in hand

09/01, 2021]  - (day 3001) (US Passport) Passport in hand (8 years, 2 months, 18 days from start of Journey.)

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Except the Lord build the house, they labour in vain that build it: except the Lord keep the city, the watchman waketh but in vain. Psalm 127:1

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Having dreads is the wrong thing? It is a wrong look?

Should he then bleach his skin at the same time, so he can be an even greater model of the right immigrant.

Bleaching his skin would be up to him. Many cultures look at white skin being superior to tan or dark skin.

I know many Asian bleach their skin. Spanish also

I have not been to OP fiancé country, But do they bleach their skin there?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.