aelix

I-864: dumb checklist request re. gross income when it's ZERO

19 posts in this topic

Just for the benefit of others who are filling out their I-864s and find themselves in a similar situation to us:

If the petitioner did not have to file US tax returns for any of the most recent 3 financial years because they earned no income at all (or earned so little that they were below the filing threshold)... they MUST STILL enter e.g. "2013" at item 13a and "0.00" at item 13.a.1

We didn't do this, choosing instead to explain in great detail why we had entered no info there, and they sent us a checklist with that as the only required item. It's utterly ridiculous since we explained the situation and it's a nonsense to fill in those items if one hasn't filed anything with the IRS, but that's how it works according to the NVC rep we spoke to.

So... now we have to fill out the whole form again, waste another $23 on express international postage from Australia, and our case gets delayed by several more weeks while we wait for them to get around to looking at it again.

Needless to say I am not pleased.

I-130 sent: 06-May-13

I-130 NOA1: 13-May-13

I-130 approved: 01-Apr-14 [323 days]

I-864 fee paid: 01-Apr-14

IV fee paid: 07-Apr-14

I-864 submitted: 09-Apr-14

DS-260 submitted: 12-Apr-14

DS-260 docs sent: 28-Apr-14

I-864 checklist rec'd: 14-May-14

Case complete @ NVC: 24-Jun-14

Medical completed: 10-Aug-14

Interview date: 5-Aug-14

Visa & packet rec'd: 7-Aug-14

POE: 14-Oct-14

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

Just for the benefit of others who are filling out their I-864s and find themselves in a similar situation to us:

If the petitioner did not have to file US tax returns for any of the most recent 3 financial years because they earned no income at all (or earned so little that they were below the filing threshold)... they MUST STILL enter e.g. "2013" at item 13a and "0.00" at item 13.a.1

We didn't do this, choosing instead to explain in great detail why we had entered no info there, and they sent us a checklist with that as the only required item. It's utterly ridiculous since we explained the situation and it's a nonsense to fill in those items if one hasn't filed anything with the IRS, but that's how it works according to the NVC rep we spoke to.

So... now we have to fill out the whole form again, waste another $23 on express international postage from Australia, and our case gets delayed by several more weeks while we wait for them to get around to looking at it again.

Thank you for informing me, we were also going to leave it blank!

Met Online - July, 2009
To see our full timeline see "Spolier"

USCIS
Service Center : Nebraska Service Center
Consulate : Dublin, Ireland
Marriage : September, 12th 2012
I-130 Sent : November, 11th 2013
I-130 NOA1: November, 20th 2013
I-130 NOA2 : April, 28th 2014

NVC
Shipped to NVC: May 1st, 2014
Case Received: May 13th, 2014
Case Number Assigned: June 6th, 2014
AOS Bill Paid: June 22nd, 2014
AOS Packet sent Express: June 27th, 2014
AOS Packet Received and signed for by "NVISA*: June 30th, 2014
AOS Packet scanned into system: July 3rd, 2014
IV Bill invoiced and paid: August 7th, 2014
DS260 completed: August 8th, 2014
IV Packet sent Express: August 9th, 2014
ATTEMPTED DELIVERY UNITED STATES 16-Aug-14
11:58 NO ANSWER AT ADDRESS (tried to deliver on a saturday) :lol:

IV Packet Received and signed for by *NVISA CENTER*: August 18th, 2014
IV Packet scanned in: 19th August, 2014
AOS Checklist - August 21st, 2014 http://prntscr.com/4gsyod click link to see the checklist
Fixed AOS (I-864a) Sent to NVC - September 8th, 2014
Fixed AOS Received and signed for by *NVISA CENTER*: September 15th, 2014

CASE COMPLETE - 20th October 2014
Medical Scheduled: November 12th
Interview December 23rd (called October 30th)

Interview Changed to December 8th! (Embassy called me!!)

Interview Result: APRROVED! :dance:

Visa in hand: December 11th!

event.png event.png

Glad someone could be spared the inconvenience - these forums are a godsend for those of us trying to navigate the ins and outs of this process.

Filed: Timeline

The I-864 is a legally binding contract -- so, all the basic information needs to be on the contract. Explanatory information, which may/may not meet the requirements of that contract does not absolve someone from completing the form --it serves to support the information you put on the for,. When a line is left blank, there's no information to explain. May not like it -- and I certainly understand why -- but thought some explanation of why they need precision on documents like this might help relieve some of your pique (although probably not).

Edited by jan22

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

The checklist was not "dumb". The affidavit asks for a number. Zero is a number. Left blank is not.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

By leaving that blank it could also mean that you just "forgot" to put a number there, that's why they want to see 0.00 written.

I understand the above responses, but I would argue that writing anything at all in those fields when we did not actually file returns with the IRS is misleading and incorrect. The question says:

"My total income ... as reported on my Federal tax returns for the most recent 3 years was:"

This implies that tax returns have been filed (even if they had a zero total income) when in fact nothing was filed with the IRS. We left the fields blank because we didn't want to suggest that my wife had actually filed something with the IRS when she hadn't.

Timeline

I understand the above responses, but I would argue that writing anything at all in those fields when we did not actually file returns with the IRS is misleading and incorrect. The question says:

"My total income ... as reported on my Federal tax returns for the most recent 3 years was:"

This implies that tax returns have been filed (even if they had a zero total income) when in fact nothing was filed with the IRS. We left the fields blank because we didn't want to suggest that my wife had actually filed something with the IRS when she hadn't.

In those situations, I would not check the box for filing any return, then hand write in the tax section, "Not required to file. Income below filing threshold." Now that you've indicated zero was also not the correct answer, that's the solution.

So, you're first assertion that you are required to write 0.00, even if you filed no returns, is actually incorrect. It's an uncommon but hardly unique circumstance. The solution I offered above works every time it's tried. You might want to send two new affidavits, one the way you think it should be with $0.00 and one the way I suggest. Just complete one form in PDF, and edit that section. You don't need to complete a new form from scratch unless you didn't save your original PDF.

Edited by pushbrk

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Well, the lady from the NVC said we should just write "0.00" against each of the three tax years, so that's what we did (despite my view that it's strictly the wrong response). I presume they'll accept what we've done, if not I may have to argue with them a bit because I'm not posting yet another copy of the form @ $23 and 3-4 weeks delay.

Timeline

Well, the lady from the NVC said we should just write "0.00" against each of the three tax years, so that's what we did (despite my view that it's strictly the wrong response). I presume they'll accept what we've done, if not I may have to argue with them a bit because I'm not posting yet another copy of the form @ $23 and 3-4 weeks delay.

If there's an argument, you will lose, and if you want to clear NVC, you'll certainly send another. I take it you've already posted the new one?

Google Who is Pushbrk?

If there's an argument, you will lose, and if you want to clear NVC, you'll certainly send another. I take it you've already posted the new one?

Yes, we posted the new one the day after we got the checklist. I did just get another AOS checklist letter today which had no further requests in it... hoping that means they've accepted the AOS. I do accept that you're right about the fruitfulness of arguing, so I can only hope it doesn't come to that.

• 2 months later...

Just reviving this thread because I don't want to leave others with incomplete or incorrect information. We followed the instructions given by the lady from the NVC and wrote zero for the income reported to the IRS for the most recent three tax years. This was not accepted.

While the NVC completed our case and forwarded it to the Sydney consulate who have scheduled my interview, we also received another checklist letter advising that item 13.a. and 13.a.1. were incorrect/incomplete. The letter explicitly states that we shouldn't send another I-864 to the NVC; instead my wife is to sign a new one and I'm to bring it on Tuesday.

I'm now going to follow pushbrk's advice and have my wife write 'not required to file - income below filing threshold' in the relevant sections, because as far as I can tell there is no other option remaining. It does make me a bit nervous though, because if for some reason they're not happy with how we've done it this time I have no way to satisfy them (my wife will be in Melbourne so she can't even sign another new one on the spot).

I'll report back on what happens...

Just to close the loop on this issue: I showed up to my visa interview armed with two further versions of my wife's I-864 having been told to bring a completed form to the interview... but the issue wasn't even raised.

Seems a bit odd since I'd been notified that the form was incorrect/incomplete and presumably the officer had that info in front of them, but maybe I just got a picky NVC reviewer and the consulate staff decided it didn't matter (since I wasn't claiming any support from my wife and had a co-sponsor).

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Chile
Timeline

Thanks for the updates and congratulations!

Spoiler

19 Jan 2014 Married

USCIS

11 Apr 2014 I-130 Sent

17 Apr 2014 NOA1

02 May 2014 NOA2

NVC

21 May 2014 NVC Received

06 June 2014 Case Number, INI, and BIN generated

06 June 2014 AOS bill / DS-261 generated

03 July 2014 Paid AOS bill

03 July 2014 DS-261 completed and sent electronically

07 Aug 2014 AOS package sent

12 Aug 2014 AOS Package received by NVC (scan)

20 Aug 2014 DS-261 accepted

20 Aug 2014 IV invoice generated

20 Aug 2014 IV invoice paid/printed cover sheet

21 Aug 2014 DS-260 completed and sent electronically

22 Aug 2014 IV package of supporting documents sent

27 Aug 2014 IV package received by NVC (scan)

07 Sep 2014 Realize error on AOS (AGI vs. Total Income)

09 Sep 2014 AOS I-864s (joint sponsors) resubmitted

11 Sep 2014 AOS Re-submit received by NVC (scan)

16 Sep 2014 60-day notice received (note: this is the first 60-day notice I have ever received)

20 Oct 2014 CASE COMPLETE! (AOS and IV)

Embassy

08 Dec 2014 Medical Appointment

22 Dec 2014 Interview and APPROVAL!

27 Dec 2014 Receive passport and paperwork from the embassy

POE/Post Entry

23 Feb 2015 POE at Houston - No problems on entry

01 Mar 2015 Received SSN via USPS

02 Apr 2015 Received physical green card

ROC

19 Dec 2016 Sent I-751 Packet

26 Dec 2016 NOA1 Received

12 Jan 2017 Biometrics Appointment

14 Feb 2018 Infopass Appointment (LA) for ADIT Stamp

15 May 2018 ROC APPROVED! (I-797 NOA received 5/21/18 - GC in production!)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.