Stacyyy

Past Mental Health and Drug Use Problems

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Portugal
Timeline

Such a detailed and thorough post. Thanks for sharing your story, hopefully it will help someone else in the future. And major congrats on your visa! :)

The K1 journey:                                                                                                                             The AOS journey:

11/09/2013 - I-129F Packet mailed to Dallas Lockbox                                                                                         06/22/2015 - AOS packet mailed to Chicago Lockbox

02/14/2014 - Case shipped to Embassy, where it waited for over a year at my request                                 11/07/2015 - AOS approved (EAD and AP had already been approved) - there was no interview

05/21/2015 - Interview - Approved

06/19/2015 - Wedding (L) 

The ROC journey:                                                                                                                         

10/12/2017 - ROC packet mailed to VSC

01/21/2019 - ROC Approved - there was no interview

The N-400 journey:

02/16/2020 - N-400 application filed online

02/21/2020 - Paper NOA received in the mail

03/13/2020 - Biometrics

02/02/2021 - Interview & test - Approved

02/05/2021 - Oath Ceremony

JOrOp1.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Congrats! Also, I am sure this information will be useful to many people. That is awesome that you are willing to share your experience and hopefully help someone else who is going through something similar.

Best wishes!

s-event.png s-event.png
IR-1/CR-1 Visa : National Benefits Center NVC Received: 2014-01-08
Consulate : Montreal, Canada NVC Case Number: 2014-02-07
Marriage : 2013-02-22 Paid I-864 Bill: 2014-02-13
I-130 Sent : 2013-03-16 Sent I-864 Docs: 2014-02-14
I-130 NOA1 : 2013-03-20 Paid IV Bill: 2014-03-03
Trans. to NSC : 2013-11-05 Sent IV Docs: 2014-03-04
I-130 NOA2: 2013-12-16 Submitted DS-260: 2014-03-06

Case Complete 2014-03-21

Interview & APPROVED 2014-05-08

POE 2014-06-21

Filed: FB-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Amazing! no doubt you overcome those challenges in life and you're a great inspiration to others. congrats! good.gif

By the way, i just have a few questions, did the doctor put a classification on your passport when you had your medical exam? I read on one of your link the two classifications (Class A and B) on medical conditions. Also, on your interview did the consul officer brought up your past history of mental health problem and about the drug thing?

Keep up the good job!

Edited by John21

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks for the positive feedback everyone! I really appreciate it. smile.pngwub.png

Amazing! no doubt you overcome those challenges in life and you're a great inspiration to others. congrats! good.gif

By the way, i just have a few questions, did the doctor put a classification on your passport when you had your medical exam? I read on one of your link the two classifications (Class A and B) on medical conditions. Also, on your interview did the consul officer brought up your past history of mental health problem and about the drug thing?

Keep up the good job!

There was no class put on the visa. I think that the classes are just used for the doctor and interviewer's reference. The consular officer said nothing about my mental health history, only asked when the last time I used drugs was.

• 1 year later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Wow,thank you so much for posting that, it's so detailed and it's made me feel so much better.

I'm from the UK, my fiancé is in the US, he's the petitioner, but works away alot on the rigs, so I'm the one doing alot of the paperwork.

He has bi-polar disorder type one, a history of drugs convictions and charges and he is on alot of medication.

But my mum has the same thing and my grandfather had it too, so I'm used to dealing with it on a daily

basis.

I'm 26 and he's 49 so there's a fairly big age gap, but that's normality for me, I've never been with anyone my own age.

I've never had any criminal offences or anything, no drugs, no illnesses, no problems at all.

But I'm worried that they'll judge him on his past, he hasn't offended (drugs or crime) for over 10 years.

So I'm hoping that goes in his favour.

I'm just terrified that they won't let me be with him, I literally can't be without him, I have given up everything to be with him, including a career in the Royal Navy.

He is my life.

So re-capping,I'm the person looking to immigrate and he's the petitioner, I've got nothing against me, he has lots.

Oh and congratulations on getting it all done yourself, that's awesome, you sound like you put your heart and soul into it. Xxxx

Filed: Timeline

Congrats, this is very well outlined and helpful to exactly what would be needed for the interview and physical. I ask if we had done alcohol and marijuana in our past what we should mark on our ds160 when asked if we have ever been a drug addict or abuser, and the next question that stats, Have you ever violated, or engaged in a conspiracy to violate, any law relating to controlled substances?

Thank you for any support and advice

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

The OP hasn't logged on to VJ since January 2015. A response is therefore unlikely.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

• 1 year later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I had my medical yesterday, I'm waiting on my GP to fax over all of my mental health history. I have previously self harmed, and had suicidal thoughts but never acted upon them. My last appointment with a phsychiatrist was in Jan of this year and I was discharged on the fact I was going to the states for 9 weeks from Feb, but also my assessment at the point clearly shows my very good improvement to how I had been. I'm absolutely fine now, so my GP can send an email stating that nothing is ongoing. I have my interview next Friday however, and I am just so worried now! I was reassured heavily to keep my interview appointment, that even if the Embassy hadn't received my medical history of my mental health etc that I can be approved however I just won't be issued the visa that day, until they receive my medical records... is this true? 😰 I'm just panicking, and would like some kind of reassurance from someone or someone's experience to get a better understanding of where I currently stand on being approved or not etc. My medical and interview are both in London. Please help!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.