rhirhi

Medical Insurance...SO Confused!

72 posts in this topic

Why doesn't it apply to you? It's federal law and will apply to everyone in the US.

http://online.wsj.com/article/PR-CO-20130418-911290.html

I didn't mean the national law doesn't apply, I meant that the specific state law in MA which he is requesting an answer doesn't apply. The answer he gets from them is something I'd be interested in hearing, even though that specific answer doesn't affect me where I live.

FILE FOR K-1 Adjustment of Status Removal of Conditions

January 31.2010 - Met Online April 10, 2014 - Mailed in I-485 + I-765 March 19, 2016 - Mailed I-751 to CSC

February 20, 2011 - Met in Person April 14, 2014 - Forms arrived at Chicago Lockbox March 23, 2016 - I-751 arrived at CSC

July 28, 2012 - Engaged April 17, 2014 - Acceptance email arrived stating case forwarded to NBC March 23, 2016 - NOA1 Date (received March 28)

February 5, 2013 - Mailed I-129F to Lewisville, TX April 27, 2014 - Received letter for Biometrics appointment April 20, 2016 - Biometrics scheduled (incomplete due to dry cracked skin)

February 6, 2013 - USPS Receipt/Delivered I-129F April 28, 2014 - Received Acceptance NOA1 hard copies for AOS and EAD May 13, 2016 - Walk in Biometrics Completed

February 8, 2013 - NOA1 Notice Date May 12, 2014 - Biometrics Appointment Done September 27, 2016 - ROC Approved (Checked status via website w/receipt #)

February 11, 2013 - Bank shows check cashed today May 15, 2014 - Interview Schedule Letter (received May 17, 2014) October 6, 2016 - Card Arrived

February 11, 2013 - E-Mail Notification of Case Acceptance and June 5, 2014 - Interview Scheduled at Local office 8:15 a.m.

Case Number (Routed to California Service Center) June 11, 2014 - USCIS Status updated to show Greencard in the mail

February 12, 2013 - E Mail Notification of Alien Registration Number Change w/USPS tracking showing it scheduled to arrive

February 15, 2013 - Hard Copy NOA1 received June 14, 2014

June 5, 2013 - Email notice of RFE June 13, 2014 - GreenCard arrived

June 6, 2013 - RFE postmarked

June 10, 2013 - RFE arrived in the mail

June 11, 2013 - RFE mailed back Express USPS

June 12, 2013 - RFE received @ CSC / USCIS website updated to reflect this

June 20, 2013 - I-129F Approved

June 24, 2013 - NOA2 Hard Copy Received

June 28, 2013 - NVC Assigned Case Number

July 2, 2013 - NVC shipped case to London

July 9, 2013 - London Received Case File

July 13, 2013 - Packet 3 Instructions Received

July 17, 2013 - Packet 3 Forms Mailed (Except DS-2001)

July 30, 2013 - DS-2001 sent (arrived July 31)

July 30, 2013 - Medical Scheduled (and completed w/no issues)

August 5th - Medical Results Logged in

August 8th - DS-2001 Logged in

August 20, 2013 - Interview Date Set

September 17, 2013 - Interview at 8:00 a.m. (APPROVED)

Waiting for VISA...

September 25, 2013 - Visa Delivered

October 8, 2013 - POE Las Vegas, NV

October 11, 2013 - Married

October 13th - HOME

I just talked this over with my wife and she stated the following. When she visited she had travelers insurance through her bank that would cover her but once she moved here it was probably moot since she left a minimal amount of money in her account and had moved here. Now once she got here and we got married I was able to add her to my insurance through my work. Now, here is a tip for those moving here and marrying a US citizen. Most companies have an open enrollement period where you can add or change coverage. When we went to add her they said we missed the open enrollment and had to wait 9 months. After me using logic and the girl not buying it she suggested her getting insurance from somewhere else for a month then cancelling it and then us coming back claiming she lost her insurance and the enrollment period was moot. So, me thinking quickly stated that she had just lost access to her NHS and she was allowed to be added.

At this time she did not have a green card but she did have a social, that's all that was needed.

So what advice can I give? Have the travlers insurance but once you get married get a social and get added to your spouces insurance. If they claim you have to wait, claim the loss of your NHS and the enrollment period issues wont matter.

I will say that in the states that have insurance plans you will pay for coverage that may really suck, as in high deductables and all. Lucky for us I work for a large university and have good insurance, even though it cost 288 a month to add her. This is one of those cost that people don't think about when deciding on the marrying/moving process. Lucky for us Jodie got a full time job at the university and it covers your insurance, she gets a job, I get an automatic $3,600 a year raise since she now gets her coverage for free.

So, use your contacts and friends to help you look for jobs with good coverage. I know Jodie was worried about the insurance thing and you should make sure your spouse is aware of how things work before making the move. One bad illness can put a real dent in how you percieve your future.

8/31/2011 I-129f sent... Come on...no whammies

9/8/11 NOA1

1/5/12 NOA2 whammies averted Just follow the guides people, it isn't rocket science

2/27/12 Medical

3/6/12 Packet 3 sent

3/17/12 Packet 4 received

4/17/12 Interview ------- Approved

5/9/12 POE Atlanta... then off to Austin

5/26/12 Married

6/5/12 applied SS# 6/11/12 received SS#

7/17/12 AOS filed I485 I131 I765

09/18/12 - EAD/AP approved

09/26/12 - EAD/AP Card delivered

03/07/13 - AOS Approved, No interview, No RFEs

03/15/13 - Greencard received

01/17/15 - filed for 10 year greencard

09/15/15 - 10 year green card recieved, no interview.........again

I just talked this over with my wife and she stated the following. When she visited she had travelers insurance through her bank that would cover her but once she moved here it was probably moot since she left a minimal amount of money in her account and had moved here. Now once she got here and we got married I was able to add her to my insurance through my work. Now, here is a tip for those moving here and marrying a US citizen. Most companies have an open enrollement period where you can add or change coverage. When we went to add her they said we missed the open enrollment and had to wait 9 months. After me using logic and the girl not buying it she suggested her getting insurance from somewhere else for a month then cancelling it and then us coming back claiming she lost her insurance and the enrollment period was moot. So, me thinking quickly stated that she had just lost access to her NHS and she was allowed to be added.

At this time she did not have a green card but she did have a social, that's all that was needed.

So what advice can I give? Have the travlers insurance but once you get married get a social and get added to your spouces insurance. If they claim you have to wait, claim the loss of your NHS and the enrollment period issues wont matter.

I will say that in the states that have insurance plans you will pay for coverage that may really suck, as in high deductables and all. Lucky for us I work for a large university and have good insurance, even though it cost 288 a month to add her. This is one of those cost that people don't think about when deciding on the marrying/moving process. Lucky for us Jodie got a full time job at the university and it covers your insurance, she gets a job, I get an automatic $3,600 a year raise since she now gets her coverage for free.

So, use your contacts and friends to help you look for jobs with good coverage. I know Jodie was worried about the insurance thing and you should make sure your spouse is aware of how things work before making the move. One bad illness can put a real dent in how you percieve your future.

Unusual that you couldn't enroll her due to being outside of the open enrollment period, as usually they allow you to add for a life changing event like marriage or having a child. Otherwise everyone would be only getting married or having children in October lol.

How long after you got married did you try and add her?

barata-gif-3.gif

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Wales
Timeline

That's really comprehensive, thank you! Yeah I'm a little worried too (although this thread has alleviated some of it!) it's been hard trying to understand how this insurance works. I think I'm just scared of doing something wrong! I've been spoilt by the NHS :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Comprehensive certainly, correct, well that is another issue.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Glad this was brought up, had no idea it was compulsory. Makes you want to stay in the UK this lunatic American system.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

UK travel insurance clearly says you have to start in the UK and come back to the UK other wise its not valid .

From arriving in the States to when you get married and then put on your partners insurance is probably a month or two as in my case a months insurance is all we need .

Found this link that 1 month starts from $60 ish ... i think its best to have some thing legal as its less stress and hassle if something, (god forbid), goes wrong .....

http://www.americanvisitorinsurance.com/visa-insurance/fiancee.asp

UK travel insurance clearly says you have to start in the UK and come back to the UK other wise its not valid .

From arriving in the States to when you get married and then put on your partners insurance is probably a month or two as in my case a months insurance is all we need .

Found this link that 1 month starts from $60 ish ... i think its best to have some thing legal as its less stress and hassle if something, (god forbid), goes wrong .....

http://www.americanvisitorinsurance.com/visa-insurance/fiancee.asp

Thanks for this and for those that might not know it is really important to understand how American healthcare insurance works. (and I am only just learning myself)

a) Coverage does not equal no big bills - you really really need to understand what is covered and how much is covered. Just look at the examples of the different bills a patient might get between fixed and comprehensive plans on that site

b) You really do need to make sure that *anyone* you see in a medical context is covered by your insurance(in network) otherwise a bill will arrive one day and it may well not be covered by your insurer.

I particularly love the attempts (often illegal) to bill for the difference between what your insurer pays the provider and the going rate from the provider. Balance billing

Richard

event.png

event.png

That's exactly what I was questioning. If I'm not a resident, I can't get healthcare...if I cant get healthcare then I get penalised when tax time rolls around. Have emailed enquiring about the situation, will post the reply on here for anyone curious (or anyone MA-bound in the future).

What taxes are you going to be filing when you aren't a green card holder and can't work? Once you are able to work, get insurance and stop worrying!

Timeline

What taxes are you going to be filing when you aren't a green card holder and can't work? Once you are able to work, get insurance and stop worrying!

I'm intending to start work ASAP using the EAD so I'm assuming I will still need to file taxes if I work using that?

Thanks for this and for those that might not know it is really important to understand how American healthcare insurance works. (and I am only just learning myself)

a) Coverage does not equal no big bills - you really really need to understand what is covered and how much is covered. Just look at the examples of the different bills a patient might get between fixed and comprehensive plans on that site

b) You really do need to make sure that *anyone* you see in a medical context is covered by your insurance(in network) otherwise a bill will arrive one day and it may well not be covered by your insurer.

I particularly love the attempts (often illegal) to bill for the difference between what your insurer pays the provider and the going rate from the provider. Balance billing

Some really good points here, thanks! it all seems very confusing...

It's tricky as I won't be able to work (and get health insurance through a job) for a number of months as you all know...this is all giving me a headache! tongue.png

I was replying to this part of your original question/statement.

I'm intending to start work ASAP using the EAD so I'm assuming I will still need to file taxes if I work using that?

Some really good points here, thanks! it all seems very confusing...

I am not sure what type of jobs you will be looking to obtain, but most types of fulltime work offer insurance, unless things have drastically changed since 2011, when I moved to Australia. But usually the most cost effective way to get insured is to be added to your spouses plan, if possible.

That's really comprehensive, thank you! Yeah I'm a little worried too (although this thread has alleviated some of it!) it's been hard trying to understand how this insurance works. I think I'm just scared of doing something wrong! I've been spoilt by the NHS smile.png

If the NHS is anything like Australia's medicare system, its great for Dr visits or if you're having a baby, as well as covering the cost of more expensive treatments. But you'll wait months for those expensive treatments, the hospitals are old and the equipment is not top of the line. Every system has its pluses and minuses.

Timeline

Oh I see, what I meant was that I'll be there for about a month before we get married. It will then be about 3 months until my EAD comes through and I can then start to look for work. Im a qualified teacher so will hopefully be teaching, from what I've read the coverage for teachers is decent. The plan is to be put on my future husband's plan once we are married until I get a job, but I was unsure if I would be penalised for the month prior to marriage as I didn't realise that I could get temporary insurance during that time.

In terms of the NHS, I meant I was spoilt by not having to think about insurance, payment, complicated plans etc. the minuses you mention are definitely there, but I've never had to think about medical insurance which is probably why it's taking me a while to get my head around the US system.

But you'll wait months for those expensive treatments, the hospitals are old and the equipment is not top of the line. Every system has its pluses and minuses.

The problem is one of demand/capacity and the cost of providing it rather than facilities, skill or equipment. Most UK hospitals are up to date in terms of buildings and kit but the endless growth in demand for more care and a wider range of medical services possible means rationing - much as it does in other healthcare models .

Richard

event.png

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

She's probably concerned because she will most likely enter and marry her USC spouse before the end of 2012 and therefore be required to file her taxes here in the US (income or no). It's also more beneficial for her then husband to include her so that he gets a bigger tax break.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.