X2BWU

Petitioner Attending the Interview

24 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cambodia
Timeline

I know I am ahead of myself as I just recently file my I-129F petition. However as I browse through VJ I see that several petitioner are able to go visit their beneficiary at the time of the interview. I myself would like to be able to do so, if I can afford time and money off work. I've heard mixed comments that if the petitioner is there during the time of interview then the relationship has more weight and this might result in a less questions being asked. On the other hand others said that it might not be good to have the petitioner there at the interview because it just takes too much time and raise curiosity for the CO?

It depends. Some embassies it's vital that the petitioner attends, and at others it's plain not allowed.

From (for your embassy): http://www.visajourney.com/consulates/index.php?ctry=Cambodia&cty=Phnom%20Penh

Can fiance(e)/spouse attend the interview? No

See also reviews for your embassy: http://www.visajourney.com/reviews/index.php?cnty=Cambodia

Edited by lost_at_sea

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

My fiancé came with me to the dublin interview as I was such a nervous mess that he flew over to calm me down, in the Irish embassy it was grand, they just asked me "is that your fiancé" and I said yes and they the rest of the questions bar one were towards him (the one question being what I was doing in switzerland when we met there)

I am so glad that our embassy allows it as I think I would have been full force panic attack is he was not there

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

I think it may help for the petitioner to be present at the time of the interview, but I have never heard that it is mandatory that they are. Be sure to check if petitioners are even allowed to be present. I think, honestly, even if you are not there, though, that things will still be fine! :) Best of luck!

Filed: Timeline

Don't worry too much!

At my fiancee's embassy (Ulaanbaatar,) they allow the fiance/e to attend the interview. However, I had five one-way tickets to pay for (over $4000) just to get her and the kids here, so I didn't attend. They told me, "the result will be the same whether or not you attend."

All of the others who wrote on VJ had attended the interview at that particular embassy, but my fiancee passed with an easy, two-minute interview.

If you're not allowed to attend at your particular embassy, some people have said that giving them your passport and telling them you're waiting outside has helped. Honestly, though, I think that having very, very strong evidence and staying in touch with the embassy to let them know you care is what will make the interview go smoothly. It felt that way in my case, anyway, as the embassy actually told me fiancee how much I've been worried about her and how often I've asked the embassy questions by email and phone.

What would Xenu do?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

IF you can go, meaning if the embassy will allow you.. GO!!!!! it can only work for your case .... think about it..

Met 10/2009Married 9/13/2012 in indiaFiled I-130 12/4/2012Assigned MSC case # 12/6/20122/14/2013 called uscis and on 1/30/2013 case moved from MSC to Chicago local office.4/17/2013 letter from senator durbin's office that a inquiry will be made on my case and to allow 30-60 days6/7/2013 NOA2 !!!!! while I am visiting my baby!!!!7/12/2013 letter from senator and copy of USCIS email to them stated our case heading to NVC 7/23/2013 NVC # assigned!!!!!!7/25/2013 called for Invoice identification number and had them add yash's email( Yash sent DS3032 via email nex day)7/29/2013 rec'd email from NVC with DS3032 and AOS invoice, paid today $88 mailed hardcopy of DS 30328/1/2013 AOS pkg mail via fed ex8/6/2013 AOS rec'd @NVC8/12/2013 DS3032 accepted IV invoiced8/15/2013 IV fed ex'd9/9/13 dreaded checklist asking for DS260 b/c DS230 obsolete<p>9/11/13 electronic submission of DS260 accepted
9/17/2013 called NVC case was completed as of today

10/1/2013 rec'd interview letter and date!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11/4/2013 INTERVIEW

RESULT....APPROVED!!!

11/12/2013 email to pick up visa!!!

09/09/15-12/2016 ROC +interview= appproved in over a year

12/21/2016 fedex'd N-400 application and per fedex was rec'd

I think it may help for the petitioner to be present at the time of the interview, but I have never heard that it is mandatory that they are.

It's practically mandatory in some locations. The Philippines, if I'm recalling correctly, are right swines about it. They expect the petitioner to be there (which, naturally, is expensive and difficult for a lot of people) and will often deny if they are absent.

Basically, all the embassies vary to some degree, which is why it's wise to check the embassy reviews and the consulate information that's been gathered: http://www.visajourney.com/consulates/

26th August 2016 - NOA1

7th June 2017 - Oath

It's practically mandatory in some locations. The Philippines, if I'm recalling correctly, are right swines about it. They expect the petitioner to be there (which, naturally, is expensive and difficult for a lot of people) and will often deny if they are absent.

Basically, all the embassies vary to some degree, which is why it's wise to check the embassy reviews and the consulate information that's been gathered: http://www.visajourney.com/consulates/

It's possible you're confusing the Philippines, which, as far as I can recall, doesn't allow the petitioner in, with the Dominican Republic and/or Ecuador, which tend to want to question the petitioner.

What would Xenu do?

It's possible you're confusing the Philippines, which, as far as I can recall, doesn't allow the petitioner in, with the Dominican Republic and/or Ecuador, which tend to want to question the petitioner.

Probably! I know some are that strict though, but naturally, I don't have to follow those countries as closely as my own. Thanks for the clarification. :D

26th August 2016 - NOA1

7th June 2017 - Oath

The Philippines do not make it mandatory and experienced VJers on here have said it doesn't make that much of a difference to the high approval rate, but it can help a little for cases that are borderline from being approved or not. Also, they do allow the petitioner in, as many have attended the interview with their fiances there.

barata-gif-3.gif

The Philippines do not make it mandatory and experienced VJers on here have said it doesn't make that much of a difference to the high approval rate, but it can help a little for cases that are borderline from being approved or not. Also, they do allow the petitioner in, as many have attended the interview with their fiances there.

Thanks for the clarification.

What would Xenu do?

Thanks for the clarification.

No problem. :) And for the record, I plan on being there with my fiance for the interview. It should be a fun experience, and we want to share the joy of an approval together.

barata-gif-3.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cambodia
Timeline

It depends. Some embassies it's vital that the petitioner attends, and at others it's plain not allowed.

From (for your embassy): http://www.visajourney.com/consulates/index.php?ctry=Cambodia&cty=Phnom%20Penh

Can fiance(e)/spouse attend the interview? No

See also reviews for your embassy: http://www.visajourney.com/reviews/index.php?cnty=Cambodia

On my Embassy (Cambodia) it does say NO to fiance(e) attending the interview, however when I did check out the reviews many have stated that they were able to attend. I think I will try to fly there if time and money allows me to. Even if they embassy will not let me inside at least my fiance knows I am just steps away and there to support him.

Thanks everybody for your comments.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I am also planning on attending the interview with my fiancé in the Philippines....I feel that the support shows really good intent and the willingness to participate in such an important part of immigration...would not miss it !!! It truly starts a new beginning of the relationship, what a great time to spend together..... :-)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.