JustJanis

Considering moving back to Canada

40 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Unfortunately the results of the election last night have put my husband's job in jeopardy. We are seriously considering moving to my hometown in Canada but not sure how we go about it. We were married Oct. 2011, have my green card (May 2012) and have yet to file for our AOS.

Any links or info you all could provide regarding this would be very helpful.

Thank you.

---------------------
Oct. 22 - 25/10: Met in Hawaii and fell in love!
Jan. 3/11: Together in Seattle for New Years - officially, ENGAGED got my ring and we got matching tattoos!
Jan. 8/11: Mailed K1 forms to Lockbox in Lewisville, TX
Jan. 11/11: Check cashed.
Jan. 12/11: NOA1 - Initial Review - Petition Received
Jan. 14/11: Last Touch
Jan. 17/11: Rec'd email notification with receipt number and notice that package was received and routed to Vermont for Processing. Able to logon within a day to check case.
Feb. 24/11: Mailed additional info to VSC
May 10/11: RFE email - May 12/11: RFE hard copy received
May 27/11: RFE reply received and being processed.
July 1/11: NOA2!!!
July 14/11: NVC forwards petition to Vancouver
July 21/11: Packet 3 received via email.
Aug. 7/11: Packed 3 emailed back
Aug. 8/11: Packet 4 letter received via email
Sept. 21/11: Medical - SUCCESS!!!!
Sept. 23/11: Visa Interview = SUCCESS!!!
Sept. 28/11: Visa in hand
Sept. 29/11: POE at YVR to Seattle
Oct. 23/11: Hawaii beach wedding
Jan. 12/12: 1-485 & 1-765 NOA hard copies received
Feb. 2/12: NOA - case transferred to California
Mar. 3/12: Biometrics Done!
Mar. 14/12: Work Permit card being printed (never arrived, lost in the mail)
May. 8/12: I-485 Approved - Green Card in the mail
May. 12/12: GREEN CARD!!!!!!!!!!!

Package Mailed then RFE then Interview... and finally:

Jan.21/15: 10 Year Green Card!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

You will lose your green card in the us.

When I was considering this, I was looking at these forums:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/index.php

There is no affidavit of support for canada as spousal visas require no minimum amount earned, just FYI

oldlady.gif

Timeline

You will lose your green card in the us.

When I was considering this, I was looking at these forums:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/index.php

There is no affidavit of support for canada as spousal visas require no minimum amount earned, just FYI

That is a very helpful site... thank you!!! And good on the no support info as we are both in the US right now and I am not working. We would need to get some "ducks in a row" if we decide start the process.

---------------------
Jan. 3/11: Together in Seattle for New Years - officially, ENGAGED got my ring and we got matching tattoos!
Jan. 17/11: Rec'd email notification with receipt number and notice that package was received and routed to Vermont for Processing. Able to logon within a day to check case.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

I know what you are talking, so sad... hoping you will find the way to figure it out :thumbs: good luck girl

OUR AMAZING JOURNEY 

UiSpm4.pngHWwxm4.png

YIRsm4.png   Mi1Gm4.pngTh37m4.png    

2013                                                  2014                                                     2015

fNidm5.png NXDpm4.png    VaECm4.png 

VRj7m4.png4IFnm4.png

Timeline

How exactly is your job in jeopardy?

My husband is a contractor for the Department of Defense and with the impending cuts his company will likely close and put him out of work. I haven't been able to find a job because no one was hiring pending the outcome of the election... and now there will be even more closures and less jobs available.

---------------------

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

No one was hiring because of the election? Interesting, because I know lots of places hiring right now. The company I work for just hired 3 new employees last month.

You must have filled AOS or you wouldn't have a green card. You mean ROC perhaps? But yes, if you move back to Canada you will lose your GC and if you and your husband ever want to come back to the US you will need to start all over again.

A member here Colleens recently moved back to Canada. You might want to look her up.

Timeline

There was a big business owner somewhere in the USA that sent out a letter to all his employees, that if Romeny did not win, all their jobs would be in jeopardy! Wonder if he will follow through with his threat!!

Like Huggles stated. As well check out roadtocanada.com

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

No one was hiring because of the election? Interesting, because I know lots of places hiring right now. The company I work for just hired 3 new employees last month.

It could depend on the OP's specialization/field.

Also (in regards to the original post), while there may not be minimum requirements, CIC will try to determine if the USC will become a burden on Canada. Also, there is an agreement you must sign to pay back any benefits they receive from welfare or things like that. Similar to the Affidavit of Support. I also had to give proof of employment and salary when I helped my wife immigrate to Canada. So these are considerations. It's just that they are not "listed requirements." In other words Canadian immigration is a little more general and follows the spirit of the law, not necessarily exactly by the letter as you would be used to in the US.

Edited by bsd058

IR-1 Visa Timeline (Service Center: Vermont)

image.png.806852c45242bc72b5f44a862566bdaf.png

N-400 Timeline (Field Office: Orlando, FL) & Voter Registration (Online)

image.png.c85e21010f669e0303f6fafb51f19f82.png

Passport Timeline (Submitted at USPS, Standard Processing, Standard Delivery, Locator number: 51) & SSA Update & Naturalization Certificate Receipt

03/23/2022: Application for passport submitted at USPS facility under standard processing.

04/04/2022: Status changed to “The U.S. Department of State has received your application for your passport book on 04/04/2022. We're now reviewing your application and supporting documents...Your application locator number is 51*******.

04/04/2022: Check for passport cashed.

05/03/2022: Status changed to "The U.S. Department of State approved your application for your passport book. We're now printing your passport book and preparing to give it to you. You should receive your passport book on or around 05/09/2022."

05/05/2022: Passport Received.

05/09/2022: SSA Citizenship Status Updated.

05/25/2022: Naturalization Certificate received in mail.

Timeline

There was a big business owner somewhere in the USA that sent out a letter to all his employees, that if Romeny did not win, all their jobs would be in jeopardy! Wonder if he will follow through with his threat!!

This sounds like an threat from a lord over his serfs.

IR-1 Visa Timeline (Service Center: Vermont)

image.png.806852c45242bc72b5f44a862566bdaf.png

N-400 Timeline (Field Office: Orlando, FL) & Voter Registration (Online)

image.png.c85e21010f669e0303f6fafb51f19f82.png

Passport Timeline (Submitted at USPS, Standard Processing, Standard Delivery, Locator number: 51) & SSA Update & Naturalization Certificate Receipt

03/23/2022: Application for passport submitted at USPS facility under standard processing.

04/04/2022: Status changed to “The U.S. Department of State has received your application for your passport book on 04/04/2022. We're now reviewing your application and supporting documents...Your application locator number is 51*******.

04/04/2022: Check for passport cashed.

05/03/2022: Status changed to "The U.S. Department of State approved your application for your passport book. We're now printing your passport book and preparing to give it to you. You should receive your passport book on or around 05/09/2022."

05/05/2022: Passport Received.

05/09/2022: SSA Citizenship Status Updated.

05/25/2022: Naturalization Certificate received in mail.

Timeline

How is that even legal?

oldlady.gif

Timeline

Didn't the Koch brothers do that? Sent out a mass email pleading for all of the employees to vote Romney?

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/koch-brothers-workers-vote-romney-or-suffer-consequences-1C6472913 yeppers-Thanks

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Unfortunately the results of the election last night have put my husband's job in jeopardy. We are seriously considering moving to my hometown in Canada but not sure how we go about it. We were married Oct. 2011, have my green card (May 2012) and have yet to file for our AOS.

Any links or info you all could provide regarding this would be very helpful.

Thank you.

I have recently returned to Canada with my husband (as huggles stated). You can start the application process from the US if you like, or you can do the whole thing once you are in Canada. Unlike the US, Canada will allow your spouse to stay with you during the process.

If you are not living in Canada and applying 'outland' you will have to provide proof that you intend to reside in Canada (so a lease agreement for when you plan on returning).

As previous posters stated that there is no income requirement for sponsoring your spouse, but they do ask for financial information. We applied 'inland' and I had to submit my last years "option C print out" (basically a tax transcript) and all my t4's w2's etc. I also had to submit a letter from my employer that gave my income details and how long I have been working there.

There is a quite a bit of paperwork, but unlike the US, you submit everything all at once and then wait!

Currently it is taking about 14 months for approval via outland. If you choose to apply inland it is taking about 16 months, however once your sponsorship application is approved they will issue an open work visa while the PR application is being processed. It is taking about 5 months for sponsorship to be approved via inland. (it is about 3 months via outland, but you don't get the work permit when you apply outland).

There are some really helpful folks over on the roadtocanada site, but it is not nearly as busy as VJ so you may have to wait for a day or so to get a reply to a question.

If you need any more info just send me a PM

Good Luck

Timeline

You must have filled AOS or you wouldn't have a green card. You mean ROC perhaps? But yes, if you move back to Canada you will lose your GC and if you and your husband ever want to come back to the US you will need to start all over again.

A member here Colleens recently moved back to Canada. You might want to look her up.

Oops, yes sorry... haven't done Removal of Conditions yet. Husband has work for 6 months before his company may close as they are completely dependent on funding for the military. We will wait it out and hope things get better before considering the whole process.

Colleens info was very helpful :)

---------------------

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.