JustJanis

Considering moving back to Canada

40 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Anyone wanna see the weather here in Alberta? The place of jobs? Yeah didn't think so. LOL!!! Crazy amount of snow last few weeks.

Honestly OP most of what you need will be on http://www.cic.gc.ca/ You can also call Canada immigration with any questions you have. I have called them 2 or 3 times and they were always helpful and informative. The process takes longer than it does going down to the USA but is, in general, easier to do. I have a co-worker that found it a nightmare but her boyfriend moved up to Canada, they got married, and then filed for everything. Overall it took just over 2 years. Canada is also implementing some new laws against marriage fraud. You now have to live with the other person for 2 years afterwards to prove the marriage is genuine.

I had a friend do the process years ago and she said it was super simple... Just an interview in Calgary and that was it. My co-worker called it horrible.

I wish you the best no matter what direction you go in.

I know the weather in Alberta. Yes we've been hit hard.

IR-1 Visa Timeline (Service Center: Vermont)

image.png.806852c45242bc72b5f44a862566bdaf.png

N-400 Timeline (Field Office: Orlando, FL) & Voter Registration (Online)

image.png.c85e21010f669e0303f6fafb51f19f82.png

Passport Timeline (Submitted at USPS, Standard Processing, Standard Delivery, Locator number: 51) & SSA Update & Naturalization Certificate Receipt

03/23/2022: Application for passport submitted at USPS facility under standard processing.

04/04/2022: Status changed to “The U.S. Department of State has received your application for your passport book on 04/04/2022. We're now reviewing your application and supporting documents...Your application locator number is 51*******.

04/04/2022: Check for passport cashed.

05/03/2022: Status changed to "The U.S. Department of State approved your application for your passport book. We're now printing your passport book and preparing to give it to you. You should receive your passport book on or around 05/09/2022."

05/05/2022: Passport Received.

05/09/2022: SSA Citizenship Status Updated.

05/25/2022: Naturalization Certificate received in mail.

I need to buy some winter boots. Mine crapped out last year in the snow. UGH. More money I don't have. At least the car has winter tires good.gif

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

I need to buy some winter boots. Mine crapped out last year in the snow. UGH. More money I don't have. At least the car has winter tires good.gif

Meh. Winter tires aren't needed. I just drive the way I would a snowmobile. lol.

And I only use boots when I'm shoveling. But they are work boots.

Probably bad habits, but I'm not paying for snow tires when I don't expect to live here much longer.

IR-1 Visa Timeline (Service Center: Vermont)

image.png.806852c45242bc72b5f44a862566bdaf.png

N-400 Timeline (Field Office: Orlando, FL) & Voter Registration (Online)

image.png.c85e21010f669e0303f6fafb51f19f82.png

Passport Timeline (Submitted at USPS, Standard Processing, Standard Delivery, Locator number: 51) & SSA Update & Naturalization Certificate Receipt

03/23/2022: Application for passport submitted at USPS facility under standard processing.

04/04/2022: Status changed to “The U.S. Department of State has received your application for your passport book on 04/04/2022. We're now reviewing your application and supporting documents...Your application locator number is 51*******.

04/04/2022: Check for passport cashed.

05/03/2022: Status changed to "The U.S. Department of State approved your application for your passport book. We're now printing your passport book and preparing to give it to you. You should receive your passport book on or around 05/09/2022."

05/05/2022: Passport Received.

05/09/2022: SSA Citizenship Status Updated.

05/25/2022: Naturalization Certificate received in mail.

Timeline

Meh. Winter tires aren't needed. I just drive the way I would a snowmobile. lol.

And I only use boots when I'm shoveling. But they are work boots.

Probably bad habits, but I'm not paying for snow tires when I don't expect to live here much longer.

Totally agree. I'm way cheap for snow tires. I just drift everywhere.

Boots on the other hand... Ugg's are the way to go. They're the only boots I've owned that actually keep my toes warm.

Reading that, it seems my priorities are kinda screwed up.

KDubovik- I Totally agree with your rant! :lol:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Grew up in North Central Sask, and we never used Winter tires! Always just All Season tires, but always ensure they had good tread depth! Never had a problem. Would Winter tires be better, sure, but we did just fine.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

I'll shut up about now.... :) gonna go play black ops 2.

Have a good one :)

Edited by NikiR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Totally agree. I'm way cheap for snow tires. I just drift everywhere.

Boots on the other hand... Ugg's are the way to go. They're the only boots I've owned that actually keep my toes warm.

Reading that, it seems my priorities are kinda screwed up.

KDubovik- I Totally agree with your rant! :lol:

Same. No winter tires here. Winters in the upper UP WI/MI were rough.

I've never had a problem using regular tires in the snow.

oldlady.gif

Jumping in here - as this thread came up when I was googling information on returning to Canada. Canada's immigration website is less than helpful. I'm a Canadian and moved to US 8 years ago when I married my husband. I just have a green card. I never applied for citizenship, since I was sick of filling out forms and sending them money. Anyways we just had a baby and now I want to be closer to my family.

By saying a spouses can stay together in Canada: Does this only apply if the Canadian spouse is already in Canada, or can we just pick up move there while and then apply? I am assuming since we live in US we have to apply first? Assuming that the later is true can we move to Canada once the application is approved or do we have to wait for PR? I'm just so confused as to when we can actually move back during the whole process.

I realize I will have to obtain my american citizenship before we leave unless I want to pay taxes in both countries! So this is going to be a lengthy process regardless!

Timeline

Jumping in here - as this thread came up when I was googling information on returning to Canada. Canada's immigration website is less than helpful. I'm a Canadian and moved to US 8 years ago when I married my husband. I just have a green card. I never applied for citizenship, since I was sick of filling out forms and sending them money. Anyways we just had a baby and now I want to be closer to my family.

By saying a spouses can stay together in Canada: Does this only apply if the Canadian spouse is already in Canada, or can we just pick up move there while and then apply? I am assuming since we live in US we have to apply first? Assuming that the later is true can we move to Canada once the application is approved or do we have to wait for PR? I'm just so confused as to when we can actually move back during the whole process.

I realize I will have to obtain my american citizenship before we leave unless I want to pay taxes in both countries! So this is going to be a lengthy process regardless!

Your not going to have to pay taxes(double taxed) in both countries--as there is a tax treaty----But if you do obtain USA citizenship, then for sure every yr one has to file US taxes (which ur USA spouse wil anyways) But one will not be double taxed

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Move to Canada and apply or stay outside and apply. You can do both. It's in the FAQ. It takes LONGER if your spouse is in Canada (a year vs 90 days approx) but you can live together the whole time. He can also apply for extended stays.

If I live outside Canada, may I sponsor?

If you are a Canadian citizen, you may sponsor a spouse, a common-law partner or conjugal partner, or a dependent child who has no children of his or her own. However, you must demonstrate that you will live in Canada when the sponsored person becomes a permanent resident.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/index.asp (I don't know if the .asp link will work but you can find it by looking at guides on the main page under *Canadian Residents* on the left side.)

Don't hesitate to phone Canadian Immigration. They can answer questions when you call. There are a lot of changes recently (used to be 3 year of sponsorship and now it's 10 years like the USA for example.)

You also don't have to pay taxes in both countries. There is a tax treaty. You probably have to file taxes, but you don't necessarily have to pay any taxes. It's definitely something to check out with a good accountant to make sure you do everything right.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.