JustJanis

Considering moving back to Canada

40 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Oops, yes sorry... haven't done Removal of Conditions yet. Husband has work for 6 months before his company may close as they are completely dependent on funding for the military. We will wait it out and hope things get better before considering the whole process.

Colleens info was very helpful :)

I sympathize with you entirely on the job front. We're in Northern VA and many companies (including my husband's and mine) who do Government contracts will be affected eventually but the DoD cuts.

Good luck whatever you decide

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline

Unfortunately the results of the election last night have put my husband's job in jeopardy. We are seriously considering moving to my hometown in Canada but not sure how we go about it. We were married Oct. 2011, have my green card (May 2012) and have yet to file for our AOS.

Any links or info you all could provide regarding this would be very helpful.

Thank you.

Don't do it! Consider this!!

And that can happen in October!!!

If you must move back, though, use www.cic.gc.ca It's the only website you'll need. I used it to bring my wife to Canada. We decided to move to FL.

Edited by bsd058

IR-1 Visa Timeline (Service Center: Vermont)

image.png.806852c45242bc72b5f44a862566bdaf.png

N-400 Timeline (Field Office: Orlando, FL) & Voter Registration (Online)

image.png.c85e21010f669e0303f6fafb51f19f82.png

Passport Timeline (Submitted at USPS, Standard Processing, Standard Delivery, Locator number: 51) & SSA Update & Naturalization Certificate Receipt

03/23/2022: Application for passport submitted at USPS facility under standard processing.

04/04/2022: Status changed to “The U.S. Department of State has received your application for your passport book on 04/04/2022. We're now reviewing your application and supporting documents...Your application locator number is 51*******.

04/04/2022: Check for passport cashed.

05/03/2022: Status changed to "The U.S. Department of State approved your application for your passport book. We're now printing your passport book and preparing to give it to you. You should receive your passport book on or around 05/09/2022."

05/05/2022: Passport Received.

05/09/2022: SSA Citizenship Status Updated.

05/25/2022: Naturalization Certificate received in mail.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

If you must move back, though, use www.cic.gc.ca It's the only website you'll need. I used it to bring my wife to Canada. We decided to move to FL.

heyhey. it hasn't snowed here yet.

oldlady.gif

Timeline

heyhey. it hasn't snowed here yet.

i'd rather have all that snow then the messed up weather in Chicago. up down up down with the temp..and so much rain lately. just give me snow..it insulates..i feel warmer..i like it..so do my dogs..i hate shoveling it..but i'd rather have that! lol

HWDWm6.png

Timeline

i'd rather have all that snow then the messed up weather in Chicago. up down up down with the temp..and so much rain lately. just give me snow..it insulates..i feel warmer..i like it..so do my dogs..i hate shoveling it..but i'd rather have that! lol

No, not hear as in chicago. Here as in Brantford, ON.

oldlady.gif

Filed: Other Timeline

We have only 68 degrees today.

Sunny but, rather unusual, pretty windy. It will warm up again by Monday.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Timeline

We have only 68 degrees today.

Sunny but, rather unusual, pretty windy. It will warm up again by Monday.

92F in Nicaragua,lol I would trade it for snow in a heartbeat!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Anyone wanna see the weather here in Alberta? The place of jobs? Yeah didn't think so. LOL!!! Crazy amount of snow last few weeks.

Honestly OP most of what you need will be on http://www.cic.gc.ca/ You can also call Canada immigration with any questions you have. I have called them 2 or 3 times and they were always helpful and informative. The process takes longer than it does going down to the USA but is, in general, easier to do. I have a co-worker that found it a nightmare but her boyfriend moved up to Canada, they got married, and then filed for everything. Overall it took just over 2 years. Canada is also implementing some new laws against marriage fraud. You now have to live with the other person for 2 years afterwards to prove the marriage is genuine.

I had a friend do the process years ago and she said it was super simple... Just an interview in Calgary and that was it. My co-worker called it horrible.

I wish you the best no matter what direction you go in.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Anyone wanna see the weather here in Alberta? The place of jobs? Yeah didn't think so. LOL!!! Crazy amount of snow last few weeks.

Honestly OP most of what you need will be on http://www.cic.gc.ca/ You can also call Canada immigration with any questions you have. I have called them 2 or 3 times and they were always helpful and informative. The process takes longer than it does going down to the USA but is, in general, easier to do. I have a co-worker that found it a nightmare but her boyfriend moved up to Canada, they got married, and then filed for everything. Overall it took just over 2 years. Canada is also implementing some new laws against marriage fraud. You now have to live with the other person for 2 years afterwards to prove the marriage is genuine.

I had a friend do the process years ago and she said it was super simple... Just an interview in Calgary and that was it. My co-worker called it horrible.

I wish you the best no matter what direction you go in.

Well I would hope you intend to live with your spouse for 2 years after your marriage?

oldlady.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hell we get that in September some years here in Colorado. Not having snow in Oct is kind of unheard of here ha...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Well I would hope you intend to live with your spouse for 2 years after your marriage?

you should the but the problem is visa fraud. How many posts are on VJ where after a few months "it's not working out" and they're divorcing? Well the same is happening in Canada because you only need to sponsor someone for 3 years as well. They're eliminating marriage visa fraud. However in Canada you can apply for a common-law or conjugal partner, not just a married spouse. The relationship is just harder to prove, especially for a conjugal partner.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

you should the but the problem is visa fraud. How many posts are on VJ where after a few months "it's not working out" and they're divorcing? Well the same is happening in Canada because you only need to sponsor someone for 3 years as well. They're eliminating marriage visa fraud. However in Canada you can apply for a common-law or conjugal partner, not just a married spouse. The relationship is just harder to prove, especially for a conjugal partner.

So, if things don't work out, they do what? Bar you for life?

I'm sorry but that seems so unfair. Sometimes things just DONT work out and it's that quick.

ESPECIALLY on VJ. Doesn't make it a dishonest marriage.

I will HOWEVER admit that I think ENTIRELY too many people jump into marriage fast on this site.

Marriage after you met once? WHAT?!

I find having a successful relationship unrealistic if people don't wait.

Everyone is always in such a rush.

That's the very reason why I was in tears at the border when they were trying to deny my husband entry for a 3 month stay.

We were TRYING to figure out if a relationship (and a serious one at that) was even feasible.

I think it's all fine and dandy if some people find "love" after a 2 week vacation in jamaica... but that doesn't mean you marry the person 3 months later after you haven't seen them since.

WOOO! Can you tell I've been holding my 2 cents in while reading threads? :blink:

oldlady.gif

Read the new rules on here. http://www.gazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p2/2012/2012-11-07/html/sor-dors227-eng.html btw because Canada allows for common-law partners there is no need to jump into marriage.

Timeline

The visa process no matter which way you go is a test of your love and commitment that's for sure. granted its harder on the couple with the american version than the Canadian version. just thinking of all the times i got refused at the border, interrogated, the year i had to stay apart from my fiance. and how ridiculously long it took just to get someone else's permission to marry the person i wanted too. i swear..there were times i did not think we were going to make it. in retrospect, i think that's why they make the process so hard. it should in and of itself rule out most marriage fraud. or at least you would think so.

HWDWm6.png

The visa process no matter which way you go is a test of your love and commitment that's for sure. granted its harder on the couple with the american version than the Canadian version. just thinking of all the times i got refused at the border, interrogated, the year i had to stay apart from my fiance. and how ridiculously long it took just to get someone else's permission to marry the person i wanted too. i swear..there were times i did not think we were going to make it. in retrospect, i think that's why they make the process so hard. it should in and of itself rule out most marriage fraud. or at least you would think so.

You would think so. But I'm not sure how many threads i read on VJ about someone's wife leaving them for someone with more money, or some guy wanting to know if he has to remarry to keep his conditional green card, or other people who get divorced after a month of marriage etc etc etc... It often makes me want to yell - You people make it hard for people like me!!! All I want to do is be able to live with the man I love!! I don't care if it's here, the USA, or Antarctica! Heck I would prefer it to be in Canada but I'm not about to tell my husband to give up his dream job that makes good money to come here, get a poopy job, go back to school and hope that he eventually gets into a career that he enjoys as much (so 6-8 years down the road from now.) It just seems asinine to me to do so. I have more reason to stay in Canada than to leave to be honest, but I left my ex to be happy, not stay in the same town and just coast through life some more.

The US system does seem to rule out more people than the Canadian one which is why I think they're going to be harder on spouse sponsorship in Canada. Obviously there are exceptions as there are to almost every rule as well. But I can't blame them when to be very honest, I hear english or french seldom walking through the mall and cannot count the number of times I've been surrounded by a foreign language and felt out of place. I assume they have the right to be here, just as I do. I'm an eighth generation Canadian. But sometimes I feel out of place in my own country. :(

Anyhow.. very off topic and I apologize to the OP for doing so.

Edited by NikiR

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.