saralan

Just starting the K-1 process. Lawyer needed? Fees?

36 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi, all. I'm new, and confused! I live in the US and my fiancé is from Canada. We just visited an attorney and were given the fees as follows:

Attorney flat fee: $2100

Adjustment of status: $1080

Filing fee per person: $1300 (=$2,600)

In the end she is expecting over $6,000 from us.

Does this make any sense? I've not seen anywhere where any site says that it will cost over 1,000 dollars per person to file. Our case is pretty straight forward and we're wondering if we would be better off hiring someone to prepare the documents, or do it ourselves, rather than hire a lawyer.

I've done a fair amount of research so far, but am still having trouble with these particular concerns.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

If you read through the I-129F instructions and ask any questions on things you don't understand, you can do this on your own. If your situation is straightforward, then involving an attorney may not be the best use of your money. You can do it for far less than $6k, that's for sure.

Read the K-1 guide on this site to get an idea of what is needed for a successful petition: http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1guide

Part One: The K-1 Visa Journey:

USCIS Receipt of I-129F: January 24, 2012 | Petition Approval: June 15, 2012 (No RFEs)
Interview: October 24, 2012 - Review | Visa Delivered: October 31, 2012

Part Two: Entry and Adjusting Status:

POE: November 18, 2012 (at SFO) - Review
Wedding: December 1, 2012 | Social Security: New cards received on December 7, 2012.
AOS Package (I-485/I-765/I-131) NOA1: February 19, 2013 | Biometrics Appt.: March 18, 2013
AP/EAD Approved: April 29, 2013 | Card Received: May 6, 2013 | AOS Interview Appt.: May 16, 2013 - Approved Review Card Received: May 24, 2013

Part Three: Removal of Conditions:

Coming Soon...

"When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." – George Carlin

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

You do not need an attourney......they charge worthless fees.....you can do this yourself...someone here will be glad to help you......it really is not difficult

Hi, all. I'm new, and confused! I live in the US and my fiancé is from Canada. We just visited an attorney and were given the fees as follows:

Does this make any sense? I've not seen anywhere where any site says that it will cost over 1,000 dollars per person to file. Our case is pretty straight forward and we're wondering if we would be better off hiring someone to prepare the documents, or do it ourselves, rather than hire a lawyer.

I've done a fair amount of research so far, but am still having trouble with these particular concerns.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

NOOOOOOO DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON LAWYERS!!! I DID IT WITHOUT A LAWYER AND IM NOW IN THE MIDDLE OF MY AOS! ALL YOU NEED IS READ STEP BY STEP HOW TO FILL 129F (K1 VISA) AND ASK ANY QUESTION

OUR AMAZING JOURNEY 

UiSpm4.pngHWwxm4.png

YIRsm4.png   Mi1Gm4.pngTh37m4.png    

2013                                                  2014                                                     2015

fNidm5.png NXDpm4.png    VaECm4.png 

VRj7m4.png4IFnm4.png

Filed: Timeline

Unless you are financially well of and/or you are a busy CEO of a billion dollar company who can't carve out a few hours and/or have a record of crimes of a moral fortitude then IMHO you don't really need an Attorney. It involves detailed paperwork and understadning goverment language. AT best a parallegal can do this for you.

That being said, there are fees involved, filing fees, etc.

Based on my ear to the ground on this forum I have found out that some Lawyers, not all, are clueless, and end up slowing the process down.

Ouch! Alot of unnecessary fees and that is just up to the AOS. You can do this without a lawyer.

I-129F filing fee=$340

K-1 interview application fee (after petition is approved)=$240

Adjustment of Status (I-485)=$1070

Removal of Conditions (I-751)=$590

etc...

...save that money for your traveling and the rest of your expenses towards citizenship!

Edited by ToddnJessa

Our K-1 and AOS Journey

05/12-05/22/10-met my sweetheart and family(had lots of fun!)
12/13-12/26/11-met again for engagement/Christmas
04/10/12-I-129F petition sent
04/13/12-USPS delivery confirmation
04/18/12-NOA1 text/email
04/21/12-NOA1(receipt 04/17/12)
10/10/12-NOA2 text
10/15/12-NOA2 letter received
10/27/12-NVC letter received
11/28/12-Medical Exam-PASSED
12/07/12-K-1 Interview-APPROVED

02/12/13-POE-Atlanta
03/04/13-Wedding
03/27/13-AOS,EAD,AP delivered
04/03/13-NOAs text/email
04/08/13-NOAs received
04/26/13-Biometrics appointment(walk-in done 04/17)

06/03/13-EAD card production/AP post decision approval

06/10/13-EAD/AP combo card received

04/04/14-AOS card production/decision

04/11/14-NOA2 welcome to the USA

04/12/14-Received GC

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

<P>todd an Jessa have it pretty much dead on : for costs :) <BR><BR>be sure to note: the AOS and removal of conditions are "After" she ( or they) are here</P>

Edited by Loida and Ed

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

IMHO, lawyers are like insurance companies: useless and despicable, except when you need one. Saying that lawyers charge for nothing is not correct: you want a service done by someone, you pay for it. Otherwise you do it yourself. Like everything else. This said, if you have a straightforward case and you have time to read the instructions and take care of your own application, you can save that money and file on your own.

IMHO, lawyers are like insurance companies: useless and despicable, except when you need one. Saying that lawyers charge for nothing is not correct: you want a service done by someone, you pay for it. Otherwise you do it yourself. Like everything else. This said, if you have a straightforward case and you have time to read the instructions and take care of your own application, you can save that money and file on your own.

I agree except the service that one would be paying for (up to $3000 or more in this case) would be only for filling out paper work and organizing a petition. Unless there is a specific criminal past or anything else that falls under IMBRA, that money is simply not being put to good use IMO.

Our K-1 and AOS Journey

04/18/12-NOA1 text/email
10/10/12-NOA2 text

02/12/13-POE-Atlanta
03/04/13-Wedding
04/03/13-NOAs text/email
04/08/13-NOAs received

04/12/14-Received GC

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

If you do use an immigration attorney, i suggest Lawrence R. Holmes, www.kvisas.com.... He is our lawyer. His fee was $1795 and if needed for the aos he gives a discount since you hired him for the petition. There are no filing fees with him. He went through this same process, by himself, and realized how uninformed many people are about it. So he wanted to help others in the process. Many people here will tell you that you do not need a lawyer, but go with what makes you feel comfortable. People will say that a lawyer increases waiting time, but we all wait the same, my time has not increased due to hiring a law firm. Also when we have a question, whether it may be serious or not, his team never fails to reply all phone calls and/or emails if not same day then next day. AND THEY DO NOT CHARGE FOR CALLS. The $1795 was for everything. There is nothing hidden with them. Check the website and just see what you think. He also gives a free consultation. Someone else here at vj has used Mr. Holmes's law firm and experienced excellent results as well. Mr. Holmes's firm is not only a Lawyer and great team of Paralegals, but they have become our very good friends, too. You can't say that for most law firms. Remember, DO WHAT MAKES YOU FEEL COMFORTABLE. Good Luck and God Bless. :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

I agree except the service that one would be paying for (up to $3000 or more in this case) would be only for filling out paper work and organizing a petition. Unless there is a specific criminal past or anything else that falls under IMBRA, that money is simply not being put to good use IMO.

In a free market goods and services cost exactly as much as somebody is willing to pay for them. Nobody is forcing anybody to pay anything. It's like going to the restaurant instead of cooking at home. Some don't have the skill, or the tools, or the time, or the patience to do it themselves.

In a free market goods and services cost exactly as much as somebody is willing to pay for them. Nobody is forcing anybody to pay anything. It's like going to the restaurant instead of cooking at home. Some don't have the skill, or the tools, or the time, or the patience to do it themselves.

No doubt. I wasn't disagreeing with anything you mentioned. In a free market, we also have the option of bargaining or finding the exact same service being offered for less. I stick to my opinion that an estimated $3000 or more is "over priced" for the service being offered. I also believe that VJ is a more powerful tool than some might give it credit for, and the best part about it is the exchange of valuable and free information!

Edited by ToddnJessa

Our K-1 and AOS Journey

04/18/12-NOA1 text/email
10/10/12-NOA2 text

02/12/13-POE-Atlanta
03/04/13-Wedding
04/03/13-NOAs text/email
04/08/13-NOAs received

04/12/14-Received GC

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Wow. We've gotten such helpful responses. What an amazing community to benefit from here. Thanks so much to all of you. We're leaning towards hiring a paralegal. Of course, we will post often and keep updating as we go. And I assume we'll have several more questions!

From experience...I also used a lawyer for our K-1 (on the insistence of my now husband) and it was a lot of unneeded wasted money. Plus, they made a mistake which delayed our decision. There are tons of sample forms here and step-by-step instructions on how to file on this forum (and an awesome community to help!). Unless you have extenuating circumstances that would likely cause a raised eyebrow you should be perfectly fine to file on your own. It's a lot of paperwork, but honestly that extra money in your pocket will come in handy when your case is transferred to CSC and you're pending a decision, lol.

$6000 is highway robbery, IMHO.

Total elapsed time between filing I-129F to GC in hand 569 days or 1 Year, 6 months, 22 days.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

I'm thinking of becoming a k1 lawyer, exclusively handling straight forward i-129f petitions/AOS. They make a bunch load of money on sending the papers you filled out and documents/evidence you collected for them.

With lawyer, the petition(i-129f, the first stage only) and lawyer fees will cost you.. 3740 dollars or something similar.

Without the lawyer, the petition(i-129f, the first stage only) will cost you.. 340 dollars (plus shipping it through mail). PLus you'll get the notifications directly from USCIS.

When your case is straight forward, save that lawyer fee, put it into an account and use it for the later fees you're going to run into. Medical, a neat honeymoon, AOS, an extra car after arriving in the US, or anything unforseen.

However, if you're more comfortable with having a lawyer, then go for it. From my own personal aspect, I'd be freaking out if somebody else was in control of my immigration journey. If anybody makes a mistake, I'd rather I'd be me not checking a box instead of an attourney.

Edited by moomin

K1 process, October 2010 > POE, July 2011

I-129F approved in 180 days from NOA1 date. (195 days from filing to NOA2 in hand)

Interview took 224 days from I-129F NOA1 date. (241 days from filing petition until visa in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until POE: 285 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

AOS process, December 2011 > July 2012

EAD/AP Approval took 51 days from NOA1 date to email update. (77 days from filing until EAD/AP in hand)

AOS Approval took 206 days from NOA1 date to email update. (231 days from filing until greencard in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until greencard in hand: 655 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.