aram22

Do you thing getting a lawyer is good idea to file Greencard?

29 posts in this topic

You do not need a lawyer. I had my interview this week and saw many people with lawyers and wondered 2 myself if should of gotten one. Well everything went smoothly and there was no need for a lawyer.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

This guy again!

In the other thread he calls the girl his girlfriend, his fiance and then says that they are married! At one point he is talking about an interview and if she is scamming him and then he wants to know how she can pass the interview with his only $7000 income.

NOW he is asking on this forum and even says he is just asking 'random questions'. Maybe he should get a lawyer because he doesn't seem to be doing too good on his own!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Several posts containing inappropriate comments have been removed. Please do not speculate. If you have no constructive advice to offer, then please do not participate in this thread. Please remember that English is not the first language of the poster

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Moderator hat off . . .

Aram22 - You are using some words to describe your situation in ways that confuse people and I think it is because you are not clear on what they mean. Here is what the meanings of these words are:

Girlfriend - a woman you are dating but do not have any plans yet to get married

Fiancee - a woman who you have asked to marry you and she has said yes (or she asked you to marry her and you said yes)

Wife - a woman who has married you in a legal process that may also include a religious ceremony (but not always) and with whom you plan to live as husband and wife

A wife cannot be a fiancee or a girlfriend. A fiancee cannot be a wife. You start with a girlfriend. You ask her to marry you and she becomes your fiancee. You marry her and she becomes your wife. If you don't get married in an official way that is recognized by law, then she is still your fiancee and not your wife. If you get married in an official way that is recognized by law, then she is your wife and not your fiancee.

A K-1 Visa is a document that gives the fiance of a US citizen permission to come to the US and get married in the US within 90 days. You cannot be married to get a fiance visa. You must have met at least once in person during the 2 years before you apply for a K-1 visa. The US citizen starts the process by asking the US government for permission to have their fiance come to the US so they can get married. When they receive that permission, the foreign fiancee is then contacted by the US Consulate in their country. The Consulate gives them instructions and tells them what they need to do. They will need to have a police records check; a medical exam, and fill out a lot of paperwork. Then they will have an interview at the US Consulate. If the interview goes well, the Consulate will put a K-1 visa in the passport of the foreign fiance. The foreign fiance uses the visa to enter the US. The foreign fiance and the American fiancee then get married.

The newly married couple then has to request permission from the US Government for the spouse (husband or wife) of the US citizen to stay in the US. When they receive this permission, the foreign spouse gets a green card (becomes a permanent resident of the US) and is allowed to live in the US. It is good for 2 years only. After 2 years, the couple then must prove to the US Government that they have a real marriage. If they can prove this, the government gives the foreign spouse a 10 year green card.

A Spouse VIsa is a document that gives the foreign spouse permission to enter the US,and it also gives permission to live in the US. If the couple has been married for less than 2 years, that permission is only good for 2 years. The couple then has to prove to the US Government that they have a real marriage. If they can prove this, the Government gives the foreign spouse a 10 year green card. If the couple has been married more than 2 years when they get the spousal visa, then the foreign spouse gets a 10 year green card when they enter the US.

To get a spouse visa, the American wife or husband asks the US government for permission for their non-American husband or wife to come and live with them in the US. When they receive this permission they have to prove they can support their spouse and that they have a real marriage. The foreign spouse is then contacted by the US Consulate in their country and told what they have to do. The foreign spouse will need to have a police records check, a medical exam and attend an interview at the US Consulate. If it is successful, the Consulate will approve the visa and when the foreign spouse arrives in the US, immigration at the airport will put a stamp in their passport that is a temporary greencard. They will then be a permanent resident when they enter the US and do not have to apply for permission to live in the US.

So, aram22, we would like to help you but you are confusing us right now. We do not know if the American woman you are with is your girlfriend, your fiancee or your wife. We do not know when you first met in person. We do not know what visa your American woman has asked the government to give. We do not know when she contacted the US government to request permission for you to come to the US. We do not know what the interview you are having is for.

If you can tell us this information we will be able to help you better.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Do whatever you're most comfortable doing. I don't care if this process were as easy as scrambling an egg, after the experiences I've had (including having a VISA once denied because "You submitted it on A-4 paper, which is not commonly available in the United Kingdom"), we hired a lawyer.

I don't like the Immigration process. I don't particularly trust the people involved, I don't believe government workers do more than the absolute minimum to get through their day, and having a lawyer has removed 99% of the stress and worries I'd have carried into this process.

Do whatever makes you feel better and you'll be happier in the end.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Do whatever you're most comfortable doing. I don't care if this process were as easy as scrambling an egg, after the experiences I've had (including having a VISA once denied because "You submitted it on A-4 paper, which is not commonly available in the United Kingdom"), we hired a lawyer.

I don't like the Immigration process. I don't particularly trust the people involved, I don't believe government workers do more than the absolute minimum to get through their day, and having a lawyer has removed 99% of the stress and worries I'd have carried into this process.

Do whatever makes you feel better and you'll be happier in the end.

WHAT?!?!?! Is this for real? Im about to submit the I-129F petition on A-4 paper!!!! :blink:

MY PROPOSAL AT WRESTLEMANIA 28, FL

♥ Love Timeline ♥

11/11/2003 ~ We met online on a wrestling forum & MySpace promoting the same music band

14/07/2005 ~ Lost contact with each other :(

10/05/2010 ~ We got back in contact, re-establishing our friendship

25/06/2010 ~ Confessed our love for one another, officially a couple! ^_^

29/03/2011 ~ Flew to the USA to meet each other for the first time in Atlanta, GA

10/10/2011 ~ Flew to the USA for a surprise visit in her hometown of Chattanooga, TN

14/01/2012 ~ Flew to TN for a medical emergency; she was hospitalised

23/03/2012 ~ Flew to TN to take her for her first holiday to Miami, FL

29/03/2012 ~ Proposed to her in front of her favourite WWE wrestler CM Punk, she said YES!!!

♥ K-1 Timeline ♥

29/05/2012 ~ I-129f Sent

14/06/2012 ~ NOA1 Received (VSC)

??/??/???? ~ NOA2 Received

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

WHAT?!?!?! Is this for real? Im about to submit the I-129F petition on A-4 paper!!!! :blink:

We used both A-4 and 8.5x11 sizes when we submitted our petition. All the forms that I needed to sign were printed using A-4(8.5x11 doesn't exist in Japan), my then fiance used 8.5x11.

Edited by Wade<3Emmy

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline
:wow::wow: i suggest u find a lawyer because u seem confused about everything

AOS JOURNEY

02/24/2012---MAILED I-485,I-130,I-765, TO CHICAGO LOCKBOX
03/05/2012---CHECKS CASHED BY USCIS
03/08/2012---I-765 WAS TOUCHED
03/17/2012--RECIEVED RECIEPT NOTICE FOR I-485,I-130,I-765
03/23/2012---RECIEVED BIOMET
RICS APPOINTMENT
04/05/2012--I-485 RFE MAILED
04/07/2012--I-485 RFE RECIEVED
04/10/2012---RFE REPLY WAS SENT TO USCIS FOR I-485
04/10/2012---WENT TO BIOMETRICS APPOINTMENT IN ELIZABETH NJ(NOW THE NEWARK OFFICE)

04/18/2012---RFE RECIEVD BY USCIS
05/21/2012--- EAD APPROVED CARD PRODUCTION EMAIL RECEIVED
05/24/2012--- SECOND EAD PRODUCTION EMAIL
06/26/2012-- AOS INTERVIEW!!!!!!!!!
06/28/2012----APPROVED/CARD PRODUCTION EMAIL
07/07/2012-----10 YEAR GREEN CARD ARRIVES

N-400 NATURALIZTION

03/21/2016--- MAILED/FILED N-400

03/24/2016 ---- PACKAGED DELIVERED

03/28/2016---- NOA RECIEPT NOTICE RECIEVED

04/08/2016--- BIOMETRIC SCHEDULED

04/22/2016-- BIOMETRIC DONE

06/20/2016--- INTERVIEW SCHEDULES

07/29/2016--- INTERVIEW/OATH

07/30/2016--- REGISTERED TO VOTE/PASSPORT

event.png

xweHm7.png
REPLACEMENT I-94 JOURNEY
01/20/2012--I-102 MAILED
01/27/2012--USCIS RECIEVED PETITION
02/02/2012--RECIEPT NOTICED RECIEVED
03/05/2012--RFE MAILED
03/10/2012--RFE RECIEVDD
04/05/2012---RFE REPLIED TO
04/17/2012--USCIS RECIVED IT AND IS UNDER REVIEW
07/11/2012-- STILL IS UNDER REVIEW HAHA

We printed on both American and Uk versions of A4 with no problems :)

th_st-georges-day-flag.jpg

K1 visa - 10/25/2011 - 7 months 2 days

Married - 06/26/2012

AOS - 07/31/2012 - 2months 18 days

Process from filing 129-f to AOS approval 349 Days

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

Respected sir/madam

Some people says it's better to have an attorney when you want to get it in US.They say if you not get a lawyer your permenant resident card may be more delay than others who had attorney.

What do you think of it?I don't like to pay much money on it.But i like to have a resident card ,Cuz my fiance needs me to work.

And some people say it's complex proccess getting an attorney make it very easy.

Help

Regards,

Aram, in principle and in most cases nobody needs a lawyer to represent themselves for immigration matters. The person who will be filing a petition for you should be able to complete the forms and submit the necessary documentation here in the USA with no problem. Likewise, you should be able to obtain and submit any documentation required for your process, in your home country, without any difficulties.

Good luck!

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.