Ryan76

I-129F - describe how you met (Question-18)

27 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I've know it's fine to explain this on a separate sheet of paper, but am I supposed to write "see attached" in the box for question 18, or do I at least write "yes we have met within 2 years" then write "see attached". And most importantly, how long can this description be? I was thinking about typing up 2 or 3 paragraphs (maybe a little less than 1 page) trying to be as descriptive as possible and explain how we began talking and lead them up to the time I first flew to her country.

Does this sound about right? Overkill?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Ours was simple.we met online ,stated the year .the dates she came around.things she love and how accepting everyone was to her and how much we want to be together

Service Center : Vermont Service Center
Consulate : Nigeria
I-129F Sent : 2011-06-08
I-129F NOA1 : 2011-06-17
I-129F RFE(s) : No RFE
RFE Reply(s) : No RFE
I-129F NOA2 : 2011-09-27
Interview: 2nd Week of January

Immigrant Visa rescheduled for second week of February 2012

Visa Refused on Immigration Purpose February 2013

We Got Married and Filed Spouse Visa

dancin5hr.gif Visa Approved in May 2013dancin5hr.gif

POE was Easy in June 2013

USA Citizen July 2016

Who cares to know how long My Visajourney was???

SSN Arrives on 07/01/2013

I've know it's fine to explain this on a separate sheet of paper, but am I supposed to write "see attached" in the box for question 18, or do I at least write "yes we have met within 2 years" then write "see attached". And most importantly, how long can this description be? I was thinking about typing up 2 or 3 paragraphs (maybe a little less than 1 page) trying to be as descriptive as possible and explain how we began talking and lead them up to the time I first flew to her country.

You don't need to explain how you began talking or how you originally met, just how, when and where you met in person. Keep it short & sweet. The question is only to meet the 2 year requirement of meeting in person prior to filing the petition, not to explain your love story.

Edited by Matt & Bing

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Manila, Philippines

I-129F Sent : 2008-12-02

I-129F Receipt Notice : 2008-12-05

RFE: 2009-02-26

Approval Notice: 2009-03-13

NVC Received: 2009-03-23

Left NVC: 2009-05-12

Stuck at NVC 50 days

Interview: 2009-06-23 Passed!

Visa picked up: 2009-06-25

POE Detroit: 2009-07-04

Married: 2009-09-11

Filed for AOS: 2009-09-22

Biometrics taken: 2009-10-29

Advance Parole approved 2009-11-04

Employment Authorization approved 2009-11-04

AOS Appointment 2009-12-15

AOS Approved 2009-12-15

Green Card Received 2010-01-02

Filed for ROC: 2011-09-17

ROC approved 2012-03-21

Green Card Received 2012-03-26

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

We wrote SEE ATTACHED.

Then wrote the explanation because that space was too small.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

No such thing as over kill. put "see attached" then on the paper put "I-129F question 18" at the top of the page. I used a couple of paragraphs to describe why I was visiting Kazakhstan, how we met and then how we are where we currently are as there was a 3 year span between meeting and corresponding via e-mail and then meeting again. I put as much detail as I could to show two people meeting, then "talking" to each other regularly via e-mail, meeting a couple more times and deciding to get married encluding the proposal. In our case we met four times before filing--2003, 2008, 2009, and 2010. I would paint a picture of two people who happened to meet and fall in love and decided to spent the rest of their lives together. Be specific, to the point, and try to keep it under a page--think of it as a resume as you want this person to feel that these two people belong together. It may not be a requirement for approval of the petition, but this file follows you throughout the process and someone reading it will see a truely ligitamate relationship and the rest of the process goes smoothly--at least that is what I believe and so far it has for us.

Good luck,

Dave

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

No such thing as over kill. put "see attached" then on the paper put "I-129F question 18" at the top of the page. I used a couple of paragraphs to describe why I was visiting Kazakhstan, how we met and then how we are where we currently are as there was a 3 year span between meeting and corresponding via e-mail and then meeting again. I put as much detail as I could to show two people meeting, then "talking" to each other regularly via e-mail, meeting a couple more times and deciding to get married encluding the proposal. In our case we met four times before filing--2003, 2008, 2009, and 2010. I would paint a picture of two people who happened to meet and fall in love and decided to spent the rest of their lives together. Be specific, to the point, and try to keep it under a page--think of it as a resume as you want this person to feel that these two people belong together. It may not be a requirement for approval of the petition, but this file follows you throughout the process and someone reading it will see a truely ligitamate relationship and the rest of the process goes smoothly--at least that is what I believe and so far it has for us.

Good luck,

Dave

thanks very much

Edited by Ryan76

We were advised to give some detail. We wrote about 3 paragraphs and it seemed good enough for them.

Fiance visa

04/28/2011 - I-129F - DENIED

02/18/2012 - I-129F petition filed
02/24/2012 - NOA1
09/04/2012 - NOA2, 193 days

Interview:10/22/2012
POE: 10/26/2012 (245 days)

Removal of Conditions

Filed for ROC - 06/09/2015

NOA1 for ROC - 06/12/2015

Biometrics appointment - 07/17/2015

Approval for ROC - 04/20/2016 (316 days)

Naturalization Process

N-400 Filed 06/10/2016

N-400 NOA1 06/14/2016

N-400 biometrics 06/20/16

N-400 interview 01/23/2017

N-400 Oath ceremony 02/10/2017

Immigration Process took 2116 days.

Good luck,

Dave

Yes be specific and to the point of the question asked: Did you meet in person within the last 2 years or not? All the relationhip development details are not what they are looking for here. I had 2 sentences I think. Don't overthink this.

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Manila, Philippines

I-129F Sent : 2008-12-02

I-129F Receipt Notice : 2008-12-05

RFE: 2009-02-26

Approval Notice: 2009-03-13

NVC Received: 2009-03-23

Left NVC: 2009-05-12

Stuck at NVC 50 days

Interview: 2009-06-23 Passed!

Visa picked up: 2009-06-25

POE Detroit: 2009-07-04

Married: 2009-09-11

Filed for AOS: 2009-09-22

Biometrics taken: 2009-10-29

Advance Parole approved 2009-11-04

Employment Authorization approved 2009-11-04

AOS Appointment 2009-12-15

AOS Approved 2009-12-15

Green Card Received 2010-01-02

Filed for ROC: 2011-09-17

ROC approved 2012-03-21

Green Card Received 2012-03-26

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

The size of the box is indicative of the length of the answer to the question they pose. Understand?

I wrote two sentences. That's all you should need; some folks do write novels but all that does is make the adjucating process take a bit longer.

Just describe how and on what date(range) you met, within the past two years.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

If they wanted more, they wouldn't give a box only big enough for four sentences. These people are busy. Be specific and too the point. Don't make them work to find the answer.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

no long love storys,keep it short and simple like two or three paragraphs, how you met or was interduced,or over the internet, include dates.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

We wrote "Vanessa and I met in person when she came to the US in October 2008 and stayed for X days". That was it. Approved no RFE.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

We put in "see attached" and then wrote a 3-paragraph explanation of how we met. Others have indicated that just a few sentences was sufficient for their application (and successful). Just keep it to one page and you're fine.

Our wedding pics with music...

http://animoto.com/play/SA1SIQmniZA5gRc3pxkDEA

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.