JAPrincess

Ineligible For A Waiver?

43 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I cannot be the only one in such a frustrating and UNFAIR situation, and I would like to petition the Government to change it!!!

Thanks to Obama's "We The People" website maybe they will hear a cry louder than the one that I go to sleep with every night.

But I need your help, and wisdom, and experience, to make it the best petition for all who are at the mercy of the waiver system.

All good people who have been honest, rehabilitated, and desire to immigrating legally...

Good people denied the discretion of a waiver no matter how much hardship is caused to their US Citizen spouse and children!!

This is my story; join me; tell yours, and help me petition to make it better!!

My husband was arrested for possession of marijuana twice in his young adult hood.

I petitioned as his fiance' and he was denied a K1 visa based on this record.

We were told to get married and re-petition as husband and wife and we would THEN be eligible for a waiver.

We married, re-filed an I-130, were approved by USCIS and went BACK to the embassy where he was again denied and this time told he would be permanently banned from my country.

BANNED!! :crying:

For what equates to $9 dollars in fines for a crime that hurt no one, and poses no threat to our country.

I will not go into my hardship and all that I have endured without him.

Let alone what moving to a developing country will do to our children; their access to basic health care and education; or the state of my husband's country crime rates, violence and poverty...

If the true purpose of a waiver is to weigh the individual crime to the hardship faced by the US Citizen, then I say LET THE CRIMES BE WEIGHED!!

Why is no waiver available to people with controlled substance possession charges??

Yes, yes I know, the famous war on drugs... is it working? this war???

How much money is spent fighting it and locking up people?? Yet, the drug use in this country is still amongst the highest in the world.

In my state, marijuana possession is not even a crime anymore, it is an infraction of the law much like a speeding ticket.

The largest amount of signatures on this "We the People" site is a petition to end the federal prohibition.

But I don't want this to be about marijuana, or even necessarily about drug possession denials.

It's about the millions of people who go to bed with their husbands and wives stuck in some other country with no hope of ever coming here.

Please help me see beyond my own issues to create the best petition for all people going to bed tonight with no hope... so that we may HAVE HOPE!!

(L)~And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love~ (L)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Truly sorry to hear of your situation -- crushing to you, certainly.

You can try for intervention from your Congressman or Senator, but the reality is that some beneficiaries are ineligible for objective reasons that the COs interpret "by the book." You didn't say for sure, but were other (perhaps newly discovered) reasons cited besides the drug usage?

Perhaps you could move to a third country that's safer and more palatable, si man...

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

How much was he cited for having ? Usually the lifetime ban implies that he was caught with enough to constitute traffficing not just having a little.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cyprus
Timeline

You need to verify the outcome with an EXPERIENCED attorney who SPECIALIZES in waivers. That will not be cheap, but perhaps you can get a free phone consult or pay a lower rate for a certain time of consult.

I would focus on that first before starting the petition.

Spoiler

I-129F Sent : 3-31-2014, NOA2: 4-6-2014

NVC Received : some dinkelsberry yehoo in the house of clingons send our petition to the wrong consulate.

Consulate Received : July 30,2014 Transfer to right embassy complete.

Interview Date : Oct 22, 2014

Interview Result : AP , requesting another PC (not expired) and certified divorce decree (was submitted)Stokes interview via phone for petitioner 4 hrs after interview.

Oct 23 email notification visa approved.
Visa Received : Nov. 3 , 2014 VISA IN HAND.

US Entry : Nov. 21, 2014

Marriage : Dec 27, 2014

AOS send : May 12, 2015, received May 14, 2015 USPS priority

Email &text : May 18, 2015, check cashed May 19,2015, return receipt May 21, 2015 stamped USCIS Lockbox, NOA1 (3x) May 22,2015

Biometrics : June 1, 2015 letter received for appointment June 8, 2015, successful walk-in June 1, 2015

RFE : June 12, 2015 for income not meeting guideline. Income does ( ! ) exceed guideline.

RFE response : June 26, 2015 returned with a boat load full of financial evidence.

UPDATE: July 5, 2015 updated on all 3 cases, RFE received June 30, 2015.

Service request : Aug 12, 2015, letter received that it will be processed within 90 days from receipt of RFE.

UPDATE: Aug 24, 2015, EAD card being produced/ordered. ( 102 days from AOS receipt day and 55 days from RFE response received.) Thank you Jesus !

Emails : Aug 24, 2015, EAD approved, EAD card ordered.

I-797 EAD/AP approval notice received : Aug 27, 2015

EAD/AP combo card mailed : Aug 27, 2015, EAD/AP combo card received: Aug 31, 2015

Renewal application send for EAD/AP : May 31,2016 (AOS pending over 1 year). Received June 2, 2016,Notice date June7, 2016, emails,texts, NOA1 hard copy

Service request for pending AOS April 21, 2016, case not assigned yet.
Service request for pending AOS June 14, 2016, tier 2 said performing background checks.
Expedite request for EAD/AP Aug 3, 2016, Aug10 notification >request was received, assigned, completed. RFE letter requesting evidence for expedite, docs faxed Aug18

*Service request for I-485 Aug 3, 2016, Aug11 notification> request was assigned. Service request Dec 2, 2016.
AOS Interview letter received Aug 12, 2016

AOS Interview September 21, 2016.

Second Biometrics appointment letters received for EAD and AOS on Aug 15, 2016 for Aug 17 ( 2 day notice).

Second Biometrics completed Aug 17, 2016

Third Biometrics appointment letter received Aug 19, 2016 for Sept. 1, 2016. WTH ?!

EAD/AP (renewal) approval Aug 22, 2016, NOA2 received Aug 25, 2016

Renewal EAD in production notification text and online, expedite successful 4 days after RFE request response was faxed, Aug25mailed,Aug29received.

Sept. 21 Interview, 2 hour interview, we were separated and asked about 50 questions each for an hour each. IO was firm but professional, some smiles.
Several service requests made, contacted Senator and Ombudsman. Background checks still pending.
July 21, 2017 HOME VISIT.  Went well. Topic thread in AOS forum.
Waiting to skip ROC and get 10 yr GC due to over 2 year while pending AOS
AOS APPROVED Oct. 4, 2017 * Green card in hand Oct 13, 2017 !!!!!

First K1 denied after 16 month of AP. Refiled. We are a couple since 2009. Not a sprint but a matter of endurance.

Timeline

Truly sorry to hear of your situation -- crushing to you, certainly.

You can try for intervention from your Congressman or Senator, but the reality is that some beneficiaries are ineligible for objective reasons that the COs interpret "by the book." You didn't say for sure, but were other (perhaps newly discovered) reasons cited besides the drug usage?

Perhaps you could move to a third country that's safer and more palatable, si man...

no other reason.. no trafficking, both possession charges were for under 30 grams.

I have no money for an attorney, and the law clearly states that only a SINGLE charge for possession of marijuana can be waived. An attorney can't change the law, right? The attorneys I have consulted with have told me there is no hope. My congressman has been involved since the first denial, they are the ones that forwarded the first and second letters saying we would be eligible for waiver once we married. They can only assist so much.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

no other reason.. no trafficking, both possession charges were for under 30 grams.

I have no money for an attorney, and the law clearly states that only a SINGLE charge for possession of marijuana can be waived. An attorney can't change the law, right?

JaP... he had more than one charge..? also an attorney can only interpret the law.. cant change it you are right.

Current cut off date F2A - Current 

Brother's Journey (F2A) - PD Dec 30, 2010

Dec 30 2010 - Notice of Action 1 (NOA1)
May 12 2011 - Notice of Action 2 (NOA2)
May 23 2011 - NVC case # Assigned
Nov 17 2011 - COA / I-864 received
Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA
Apr 30 2012 - Pay AOS fee

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee
Oct 25 2012 - Sent AOS/IV Package

Oct 29 2012 - Pkg Delivered
Dec 24 2012 - Case Complete

May 17 2013 - Interview-Approved

July 19 2013 - Enter the USA

"... Answer when you are called..."

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Yes, he had two :(

unsure.gif but there is a light somewhere.

Current cut off date F2A - Current 

Brother's Journey (F2A) - PD Dec 30, 2010

Dec 30 2010 - Notice of Action 1 (NOA1)
May 12 2011 - Notice of Action 2 (NOA2)
May 23 2011 - NVC case # Assigned
Nov 17 2011 - COA / I-864 received
Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA
Apr 30 2012 - Pay AOS fee

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee
Oct 25 2012 - Sent AOS/IV Package

Oct 29 2012 - Pkg Delivered
Dec 24 2012 - Case Complete

May 17 2013 - Interview-Approved

July 19 2013 - Enter the USA

"... Answer when you are called..."

Timeline

You didn't say for sure, but were other (perhaps newly discovered) reasons cited besides the drug usage?

I want to add that there were no newly discovered reasons, I was there for the last interview, I waited outside the embassy for almost 3 hours and when he emerged with a pamphlet on how to make an appointment to file a waiver I was flabbergasted. We had an appointment, I spent over a year putting together the waiver, he had it in his hand to submit. So I went into the embassy and requested to speak with the consular. I was told to come back in an hour when the US Citizen section was open. We did so, and we spent another almost 5 hours there, talked to several people all up to the Visa Chief, who is the one that told me my husband was never eligible for a waiver in the first place. We did not leave the embassy until after closing that night, and all I got was an apology on behalf of the embassy for the misinformation given to me about the eligibility for a waiver once we were married.

I understand the law perfectly, and I think it is wrong. I want to petition to change it.

If you have any suggestion on how the petition should be written I am all ears.

If you would lend your support and sign it once it is written I would be eternally grateful, and more over, I think it is the right thing to do.

I do not believe what my husband did warrants the treatment he has been given by our government. He is a good and honest man, and his family needs him.

I am not asking for preferential treatment, I think this should be changed for all people in this kind of situation to be eligible to apply for a waiver.

That we be given the opportunity to have our case reviewed.

His rehabilitation & my hardship be weighed against the severity of the crime, and then let the decision be made.

The whole thing makes me sick to my stomach, truly.

Edited by JAPrincess

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Feel bad for your case and some mis-information you received through out the process.

If the law says 2 charges = ban then the best possible option for you is to move there with him.

You can send a petition with your request to change the law, unfortunately it does not work that way. Then someone will come after you who might have 3 charges and request to change to law to accomodate them..... it will keep on going.

Timeline

I am not planning to petition for something so narrow.

I am planning to petition that a waiver be available to all people with convictions for simple possession of a controlled substance.

That is why I am here asking the questions I am.

So that this petition can possibly help others in this situation.

Thanks!

You can send a petition with your request to change the law, unfortunately it does not work that way.

How then does it work? :unsure:

Filed: Country:
Timeline
In my state, marijuana possession is not even a crime anymore, it is an infraction of the law much like a speeding ticket.

Of course you realize that it's irrelevant since MJ possession still violates FEDERAL law.

I have sympathy for you but would point out that any "solution" to your problem that would end with him being in the US is going to take years.

Timeline

Of course you realize that it's irrelevant since MJ possession still violates FEDERAL law.

Yes I realize that federal law trumps my state law especially in regards to immigration.

I just think it shows that even in the US what my husband did is not so horrible.

Even the federal waiver law puts marijuana in a separate class by allowing single possession charges to be waived.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Yes I realize that federal law trumps my state law especially in regards to immigration.

I just think it shows that even in the US what my husband did is not so horrible.

Even the federal waiver law puts marijuana in a separate class by allowing single possession charges to be waived.

Charges for Marijuana possesion can vary , it all depends on the officer who catches you. They can have it as a simple possession or possiesion with intent to distribute etc.

It is upto the officer if he wants to give you ticket or take you to jail.

I am not planning to petition for something so narrow.

I am planning to petition that a waiver be available to all people with convictions for simple possession of a controlled substance.

That is why I am here asking the questions I am.

So that this petition can possibly help others in this situation.

Thanks!

How then does it work? :unsure:

Wavier is available until 1 charge...isnt it?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.