hamtaro

The full truth about mental health issues

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I got my visa with no issues. I went through hell though in the run up to it. I received much conflicting information about whether I would be eligible. I had lots of people online doubt I was eligible. I went through extreme panic. I had the embassy helpline itself (the expensive one) tell me I needed a freaking hardship waiver. None of this was true.

I am diagnosed with a lifelong mental health issue which is caused by a brain disorder. I was raised by abusive parents (father's abuse, mother's fear of it causing her to turn a blind eye) who couldn't deal with it. I left home to marry an abusive and alcoholic man who couldn't deal with it. The doctors throughout my life didn't listen to me, they listened to my parents and ex husband. It's like I wasn't there. My medical records were therefore terrible, full of complaints of erractic, aggressive behaviour on my part. No mention at all of provocation or abuse. I left my ex-husband and since getting involved with my American husband I have had no outbursts of anger, no depression, no self harming. I have held down a steady job for 2 years.

It was my express intention to avoid USCIS seeing my medical records because a large bulk of it was hearsay from other people and the behaviours were in fact a result of abuse. I was convinced of this because having removed said people from my life the behaviours ceased 100%.

I have seen a visa lawyer and a private psych and if you feel you need similar help please PM me and I will pass on the details of those professionals who helped me.

This is a guide for others in a similar bad situation so they stop worrying. I didn't have any such thing. I said I would write about such a thing if I got through this. I got through this with flying colours.

First off if you have a mental disorder and you do not harm yourself or cause harm to others and you went to USA in the past and ticked "no" on visa waiver and ESTA you did NOT COMMIT MISREPRESENTATION. The guidelines for ESTA (and you can find them on the site) specifically state to only tick yes to this question if there is CURRENT harmful behaviour. So even though the question states simply "Do you have a mental disorder" and you ticked no, RELAX. YOU ARE NOT GOING TO BE CHARGED WITH MISREP IN THE PAST WHEN YOU DO YOUR FINAL VISA INTERVIEW.

Second off, on the question forms you send in at NVC there is a question which asks "Do you have or have you had a mental disorder which causes or may cause harm to self or others." It's confusing and can trip people. The correct way of interpreting this question is "Do you have or have you had a mental disorder which may cause harm in the future." In fact if you check the newer online application form used by Canada and other countries they have actually reworded this question to be explicit as to this fact. So RELAX. If you have had a condition which caused yourself to harm in the past, and you are confident you are stable now and will stay stable, relax. You can tick no.

If you have a medical history which is bad for reasons such of lack of diagnosis, poor treatment, wrong medication adminitered whatever and you feel it reflects terribly on you, here's how to avoid disclosing as much of it as possible. I'm not telling you to lie. Only tell the truth, but don't disclose anything you aren't asked. I have seen a lawyer about this. I came armed with my full history. The lawyer advised me that because a lot of the history was third party accounts that I could likely persuade my doctor of this and I could get help from them. Yep, the history looked bad. Here's what I did.

I got good character references from my boss and acquaintances. I gave them to my doctor. Still experiencing a little resistance I persuaded my mother to come see my GP and admit the past abuse in childhood. It was updated to my file. My doctor then became a lot more ameniable. They wrote me a great account for the visa medical. They mentioned my diagnoses, but not the hearsay and not the guesswork (what psychs had guessed I had pre final diagnosis. Some of it was bad. Some of it (personality disorders) would have meant ineligibility.)

I paid to see a private psych, I gave them my full history, I gave them details of my recovery having left my ex. I got them very much on my side. I got a SPARKLING good account from them to give to the doctors at the visa medical.

When I attended said medical I brought the GP's letter (It also said I had never been treated in inpatient psych care, voluntarily or otherwise - important if you can claim this too), the psych's letter, and the good character references from my boss and superiors, as well as tax returns for 2 years showing stable employmemt.

I was told at the medical they required no more information, that what I gave them was very helpful in their decision and that they were passing the results to the embassy.

At the embassy I was told I had been passed as "class B" - a managed mental disorder. I passed my interview and got my visa with no issues.

This is definitely what you need to hear if you are going through the terror I went through in the lead-up to getting this visa.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Congratulations! Out of curiosity, are you the former member shirorisu?

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

is this who I think it is ?

IF SO -

@#(*$(@*#($*(@#*$ing fantastic ! I'm so happy for you !!! See? Nothing like Japan, at all - and you were able to sluice through that f'ed up UK health system to get the results you need. I'm SO PROUD OF YOU !!!

#### all, you got the visa, please come to USA soonish.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

post containing personal attack has been removed

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Congrats and it has eased my mind somewhat. I had my medical this morning and I had some past issues that have now been managed very well in the past few years. I had my GP write a note saying that I had past issues, what meds I was taking and that future prognosis was good. The doctor when finishing the medical said, "You shouldn't have any problems".

I'm just getting anxious since I still have 2 more months to wait this out before I have an answer. I'm sure I will be fine but it's good to hear from someone else that recently went through this. Congrats again, and happy to see your life is on track!

Started LDR with hubby July '04, married Nov '06

He moved and became permanent resident of Canada Nov '07

Now, we want to move back to his hometown in Illinois!

Filed DCF for IR1 Visa

I-130 sent to Toronto Embassy: September 12, 2010

Initial approval at Toronto Embassy: November 19, 2010

Packet 3 rec'd January 28, 2011

Packet 4 rec'd March 21, 2011

Medical May 16, 2011

Interview July 12, 2011 - Approved!

Visa/Passport picked up DHL July 22, 2011

POE date August 26, 2011

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Congrats and it has eased my mind somewhat. I had my medical this morning and I had some past issues that have now been managed very well in the past few years. I had my GP write a note saying that I had past issues, what meds I was taking and that future prognosis was good. The doctor when finishing the medical said, "You shouldn't have any problems".

I'm just getting anxious since I still have 2 more months to wait this out before I have an answer. I'm sure I will be fine but it's good to hear from someone else that recently went through this. Congrats again, and happy to see your life is on track!

hey - thanks for this post. i had my medical yesterday and the doc asked questions about my past (since self-injury-scars cant be hidden at all).

i was kinda worried when i left; but hopefully that won't cause any further problems.

i m great today and really have overcome those issues - but there ll be a lil bit of worries remaining till i have the visa interview (next month).

keep your fingers crossed with me! :):star:

event.png

event.png

I miss him endlessly - and can't wait to finally be united again.

event.png

• 3 months later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

thank you so much for posting this ... it is a really good solid account and extremely helpful. I have previous Mental Health problems and kind of panicked big time today, then i found your post it really helped me relax a bit so a big giant thank you x x x x

Time Line

USCIS Journey

Service Center Consulate : London, United Kingdom

Marriage : 2009-09-01

CR1

29 Apr 2011 - Sent I-130

10 May 2011 - NOA1

16 Aug 2011 - NOA2

12 Sep 2011 - NVC

15 Sep 2011 - Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill

16 Sep 2011 - Pay I-864 Bill

18 Sep 2011 - Received IV Bill

30 Sep 2011 - Paid IV Bill

15 Oct 2011 - sent I184 documents

20 Oct 2011 - sent in DS230

10 Nov 2011 - RFE (Divorce paper)

12 Nov 2011 - RFE (I184)

23 Nov 2011 - Visited NJ :))

01 Dec 2011 - Posted RFE's

02 Dec 2011 - RFE arrived

04 Dec 2011 - Back from NJ

07 Dec 2011 - CASE COMPLETE Phewwwwwwwwwwww

12 Dec 2011 - Got Interview letter for 12 Jan 2012

20 Jan 2012 - Medical at Knightsbridge got RFE[/size]

28 Jan 2012 - Knightbridge recieved BP request and Abdominal Scan reports

30 Jan 2012 - INTERVIEW !!!!!!!! 221 pending medical evidence

31 Jan 2012 - Embassy received medical file

03 Feb 2012 - DX delivered IR visa and packet for POE

03 Apr 2012 - fly to Philadelphia to start the first day of the rest of my life :)) [/size][/size]

• 5 years later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I had my medical yesterday, I'm waiting on my GP to fax over all of my mental health history. I have previously self harmed, and had suicidal thoughts but never acted upon them. My last appointment with a phsychiatrist was in Jan of this year and I was discharged on the fact I was going to the states for 9 weeks from Feb, but also my assessment at the point clearly shows my very good improvement to how I had been. I'm absolutely fine now, so my GP can send an email stating that nothing is ongoing. I have my interview next Friday however, and I am just so worried now! I was reassured heavily to keep my interview appointment, that even if the Embassy hadn't received my medical history of my mental health etc that I can be approved however I just won't be issued the visa that day, until they receive my medical records... is this true? 😰 I'm just panicking, and would like some kind of reassurance from someone or someone's experience to get a better understanding of where I currently stand on being approved or not etc. My medical and interview are both in London. Please help!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.