^_^

Gun freaks, this is on you.

79 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

If this kid did not have access to a firearm, he'd probably be alive today.

A Vermont teenager is dead from an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound he suffered inside a school building.

Police were called to Mount Mansfield Union High School in Jericho at 8:15 this morning after a boy was found unresponsive in a bathroom.

The boy has been identified as 15-year-old Connor Menning of Huntington. He was rushed to the hospital where he was pronounced dead.

Police say their initial investigation indicates Menning died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

http://dailycaller.com/2011/01/18/teen-allegedly-commits-suicide-in-high-school-building/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

nah, the lwn's drove him to it. it's on them.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Sad. Tragic. Even quiet little Vermont suffers tonight. There are so many ways to commit suicide. But death by gun is so easy to accomplish impulsively. :(

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Sad. Tragic. Even quiet little Vermont suffers tonight. There are so many ways to commit suicide. But death by gun is so easy to accomplish impulsively. :(

Is it really though? If I had the impulse right now to shoot myself, I think it would take me at least a day to carry it out. Kids should not have access to guns - this is the fault of one gun owner in particular.

And this today -- I heard the breaking news while listening to the radio (NPR, natch, since I'm in training for the day I can finally out myself as a Marxist):

Gardena High student had brought gun to school previously for protection, friend says [updated]

The Gardena High School student who police believe accidentally discharged a gun and wounded two other students had brought a weapon to campus "a couple times" before, one of his friends said Tuesday.

Andrea Tibbs, who described herself as a "good friend" of the student, said that he started bringing the gun to campus to protect himself after he had been in a fight outside of school –- an incident, she said, that made him fear for his safety.

Imami Moses, another classmate who knows the student, said, "I saw him today. It was just a normal day. He's always been nice to me. He's always been cool."

The two students were injured when the gun discharged about 10:40 a.m. One girl was shot in the head, and is in grave condition at a hospital. The other victim, a boy, was wounded in the neck.[updated 2:50 p.m. Tuesday: An earlier version of this article incorrectly said the boy was wounded in the shoulder.] According to Robert Alaniz, an LAUSD spokesman, the gun discharged when a 10th grade boy either dropped or bumped the backpack containing the weapon.

Sources told The Times that after the gun went off, the student who brought it to school apologized to his classmates before running out of the classroom.

He surrendered to police in a dramatic end to a standoff.

Officials let students out of the high school, at 1301 W. 182nd St., around 2 p.m.

L.A. Unified Police Chief Steve Zipperman said, "It appears to be a possible accidental discharge." He thinks the gun could have accidentally gone off. When asked about how the gun could have gotten past the school's metal detectors, Zipperman said officials were looking into how the backpack got into the school. [updated, 3:45 p.m.: An earlier version of this post incorrectly identified Zipperman as an LAPD captain.]

Tibbs, the student, said that more needs to be done to make Gardena High safer.

"This school is crazy," she said. "It's just too much. Honestly, we should have searches all the time. There are a couple students here who come here with guns."

Edited by elmcitymaven

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Is it really though? If I had the impulse right now to shoot myself, I think it would take me at least a day to carry it out. Kids should not have access to guns - this is the fault of one gun owner in particular.

I agree that the gun owner should have secured the weapon so that the teen would not have access to it. However, teenagers are nothing if not resourceful in getting past all but the most devious of parental controls. Funny thing is, a lot of people grow up around guns, and don't kill themselves, or other people. Long before there were gun safes, and trigger locks, I spent a lot of time on ranches, and in rural areas, where every other pick-up truck had a loaded carbine in the gun rack.

Timeline

I think it would take me at least a day to carry it out.

Really? Any gun enthusiasts care to enlighten the rest of us on how long it takes to retrieve your handgun, load, aim and fire? Somewhat under a day I would guess.

I do understand what you are saying though, that it would take you that long to finalize your decision. But you see, that only applies to you. All of us are different in that regard. I hope that I and my loved ones could never become that desperate and despondent. Suicide is such a permanent solution to what is usually only a temporary problem! :(

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Really? Any gun enthusiasts care to enlighten the rest of us on how long it takes to retrieve your handgun, load, aim and fire? Somewhat under a day I would guess.

I do understand what you are saying though, that it would take you that long to finalize your decision. But you see, that only applies to you. All of us are different in that regard. I hope that I and my loved ones could never become that desperate and despondent. Suicide is such a permanent solution to what is usually only a temporary problem! :(

What I meant is that if I wanted to kill myself using a gun, I would have to go out and buy a gun because I am not a gun owner. Impulse control isn't an issue when the gun isn't even around.

Timeline

:thumbs:

What I meant is that if I wanted to kill myself using a gun, I would have to go out and buy a gun because I am not a gun owner. Impulse control isn't an issue when the gun isn't even around.

Sorry, I misunderstood your post. I agree with you.

If you lived in a state with a fifteen day waiting period, you could plan the event out properly, with a caterer and an extended guest list.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

If you lived in a state with a fifteen day waiting period, you could plan the event out properly, with a caterer and an extended guest list.

Most suicides and acts of violence are done in moments of rash judgment, which is why they call those wait times, cooling off periods. Suicidal thoughts are common among teenagers and most don't act on them, especially when carrying it out requires a lot preparation and planning.