john5151

what to do while waiting for 2 year rule is pending after getting I485 denial?

24 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I have been working with an attorney who doesn't know the law well enough to tell me that I had to waive my 2 years rule before I applied to i485.

Because of the 2 years rule on my j1 visa I got a denial letter. I already applied for a waiver of 2 years rule. Mail says I have to take an action in 4 weeks after denial decision. What action should I take? if I apply for re opening the case or appeal it and let say USCIS opens, it I will be denied again because it is gonna be the same case because they will consider the application date on i485.

It seems like I can only apply for another i485, however denial letter is saying I have to wait until the waiver for 2 years rule is granted but it takes more than 4 weeks to be granted but I have to take an action in 4 weeks. So complicated.

Any idea ???

And if I re apply i485 do I have to get biometrics, interview and everything from the beginning as the second time?

Edited by john5151

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Poland
Timeline

If your immigrant petition is granted but waiver application is denied, you need to return to your home country and reside there for two (2) years. After two years,you wil be eligible to apply for an immigrant visa to enter the US

http://www.hooyou.com/j-1/j1_2year_rule_faq.html

http://www.isso.cornell.edu/academicstaff/jwaiver.php

Yes, if you must reapply then you will start over from the beginning. If you try to reopen the case, then you I believe you will miss the deadline in waiting for HRR waiver anyway (there is 30 days to respond to reopen, right?). Hopefully your I-130 will be approved so you won't have to apply for that again (if you are applying based on a marriage). There have been a few members who had to reapply here based on some sort of mistake like inadequately responding to an RFE, etc.

I'm sorry that this is happening to you :( How about a new lawyer? Good luck.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I have been working with an attorney who doesn't know the law well enough to tell me that I had to waive my 2 years rule before I applied to i485.

Because of the 2 years rule on my j1 visa I got a denial letter. I already applied for a waiver of 2 years rule. Mail says I have to take an action in 4 weeks after denial decision. What action should I take? if I apply for re opening the case or appeal it and let say USCIS opens, it I will be denied again because it is gonna be the same case because they will consider the application date on i485.

It seems like I can only apply for another i485, however denial letter is saying I have to wait until the waiver for 2 years rule is granted but it takes more than 4 weeks to be granted but I have to take an action in 4 weeks. So complicated.

Any idea ???

And if I re apply i485 do I have to get biometrics, interview and everything from the beginning as the second time?

Four weeks is the window of opportunity to file a motion to reopen your denied petition case. That's the "action" they're talking about. You can't file a motion to reopen without either evidence that USCIS erred when it denied the petition (they didn't), or new evidence that would counter the reason for the denial. If you don't get the waiver before the four week window expires then you can't file the motion. As you presumed, it would be denied.

For all practical purposes, it sounds like your petition is dead. You're going to need to refile once you receive your waiver. Yes, you will need to do everything over again, including paying all of the fees. The possible exception is the I-130, since that's a separate petition filed by your US citizen spouse. If that's approved then you include a copy of the approval notice with your new I-485.

I suggest you don't use the same lawyer the second time around.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

Four weeks is the window of opportunity to file a motion to reopen your denied petition case. That's the "action" they're talking about. You can't file a motion to reopen without either evidence that USCIS erred when it denied the petition (they didn't), or new evidence that would counter the reason for the denial. If you don't get the waiver before the four week window expires then you can't file the motion. As you presumed, it would be denied.

For all practical purposes, it sounds like your petition is dead. You're going to need to refile once you receive your waiver. Yes, you will need to do everything over again, including paying all of the fees. The possible exception is the I-130, since that's a separate petition filed by your US citizen spouse. If that's approved then you include a copy of the approval notice with your new I-485.

I suggest you don't use the same lawyer the second time around.

Seriously, how can you call yourself a lawyer andbe such an i###t. I hope doctors are not just calling themselves doctors...or pilots... Sorry, it is just really pi###ng me off when crooks like that try to take advantage of the immigrants. We should start a forum on which lawyer to hire and which is a crook. Anyway, if I-130 is pennding attach a copy of NOA1 from it to the new I-485 along with the waiwer, if I-130 was approved then attach NOA2.

Good luck!

02/14/2008 Valentine`s Day Wedding!

AOS

04/09/2008 I-130 sent to Chicago Lockbox

05/03/2008 call to USCIS because NOA1 not received ;( Got the receipt number and was told that we cannot get replacement NOA1.

08/21/2008 request for NOA1 for I-130 to file AOS placed over the phone and forwarded to VSC. Thanks to the first great Rep at USCIS hotline

10/17/2008 Hubby`s B-day, NOA1 for I-130 finally arrives!

10/21/2008 AOS sent to Chicago lockbox

10/31/2008 NOAs for AOS received

11/06/2008 I-130 is transferred to CSC

11/20/2008 biometrics done

12/02/2008 I-130 APPROVED!!!

01/02/2009 EAD received

02/12/2009 Interview APPROVED!!!

02/17/2009 welcome letter received

02/23/2009 GC received!!! yay!!!

RC

11/18/2010 I-751 Sent to VSC

11/22/2010 NOA1

01/07/2011 Early Bio

01/27/2011 Scheduled Bio

05/11/2011 RC approved

05/17/2011 GC received

Naturalization

11/14/2011 Sent package via Priority to Nebraska SC

11/25/2011 NOA made it

Relocated to NE

04/03/2012 Interview passed!!!

04/10/2012 Oath

04/10/2012 New prints required/done

04/14/2012 Received a welcome packet but still no certificate

04/17/2012 Certificate is here!!!!! Dated 04/16/2012 huh????

Timeline

Seriously, how can you call yourself a lawyer andbe such an i###t. I hope doctors are not just calling themselves doctors...or pilots... Sorry, it is just really pi###ng me off when crooks like that try to take advantage of the immigrants. We should start a forum on which lawyer to hire and which is a crook. Anyway, if I-130 is pennding attach a copy of NOA1 from it to the new I-485 along with the waiwer, if I-130 was approved then attach NOA2.

Good luck!

Where did I claim to be a lawyer?

I think he is agreeing with you and complaining about this person's lawyer for not submitting a motion in time/not knowing about HRR req. I had to read it a few times too.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Algeria
Timeline

Where did I claim to be a lawyer?

Seriously I did LOL at this. That was my initial thought too that the OP was calling you that. However, I think he was just so upset he didn't listen to what he was writing and figured it could be construed the wrong way.

02/21/99 Hubby entered with F1 student visa D/S

May 2002 He stopped attending school because he couldn't afford it any longer.

03?/2002 USC sibling I-130 petition

02/2009 Met hubby

08/2009 Sibling petition approved but ineligible to adjust status due to overstay

07/10 Married :)

11/22/10 [day 0]- mailed AOS packet!! should be there by noon 11/23/2010

12/3/10 [day 11]- received email/text notification of acceptance from USCIS

12/3/10 hubby surprised me with a trip to Los Angeles for my birthday...no problems :)

12/6/10 [day 14]- received hard copy NOA1 in mail

12/7/10 [day 15]- checks cashed...ouch

12/15/10 [day 23]- rec'd biometrics appt set for Dec. 28th at 10 am! :)

12/28/10 [day 36]- successful biometrics appt

01/27/11 [day 66]- rec'd interview appt set for March 10th at 10 am :)

02/25/11 [day 95]- rec'd EAD

03/10/11 [day 109]- Interview, Green card approved!! :)

Next Step: Removing conditions in 2 years.

Timeline

Ok. After reading it I just got the impression I was getting chewed out. :blush:

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Italy
Timeline

Any idea ???

Sorry to hear that. We also thought at the beginning that marriage would have solved the 2-year requirement, but it took us 1 hour on the internet to find out that it was not the case. Stupid lawyer!

You need to apply for the waiver ASAP! Maybe you can add a note in your statement of reason, in which you explain your situation and they maybe will do an expedite procedure for you. Contact you embassy ASAP to know what they want to give you the No-Objection Statement. It may take you time to put the documents together. The waiver will take about 3 months, if you send all the documents right.

Good luck!

Mathilda

AOS from Visa Waiver to Green Card (became out of status meanwhile)
Apr 26, 2011 - (Day -49) AOS package (I-485, I-130, I-131, I-765 and supporting evidence) sent to Chicago Lockbox
Apr 28, 2011 - (Day -47) Package delivered to Chicago Lockbox
May 24, 2011 - (Day -21) Rejection date on forms I-797 (wrong address on form I-485)
May 30, 2011 - (Day -14) Form I-797, Notice of Action/Rejection in the mail
Jun 14, 2011 - (Day 0) AOS package (I-485, I-130, I-765 and supporting evidence) sent to Chicago Lockbox
Jun 16, 2011 - (Day 2) Package delivered to Chicago Lockbox
Jun 27, 2011 - (Day 13) Received receipt confirmation via email for all three forms
Jul 1, 2011 - (Day 17) NOA1 paper receipt for EAD in the mail
Jul 2, 2011 - (Day 18) NOA1 paper receipts for 1-485 and i-130 in the mail
Jul 6, 2011 - (Day 22) Biometrics notice in the mail
Jul 20, 2011 - (Day 36) Biometrics taken on day of appointment
Aug 1, 2011 - (Day 48) Contacted local senator to assure employment authorization arrives on time to accept job offer
Aug 5, 2011 - (Day 52) Employment authorization approved (neither text nor email received)
Aug 8, 2011 - (Day 55) Employment authorization card in the mail
Sept 12, 2011 - (Day 90) Interview Notice in the mail (SMS/email seemingly skipped)
Oct 18, 2011 - (Day 126) Interview (APPROVED)

I-751, Petition to Remove the Conditions of Residence

Jul 23, 2013 - (Day 0) I-75 Package mailed to VSC

Jul 25, 2013 - (Day 2) I-75 Package delivered to VSC

Jul 30, 2013 - (Day 7) Check cashed

Jul 31, 2013 - (Day 8) NOA1 received (filing date Jul 26, 2013)

Aug 05, 2013 - (Day 13) ASC Appointment Notice received

Aug 8, 2013 - (Day 16) Biometrics taken - early walk-in (scheduled Aug 27, 2013)

Sep 16, 2013 (Day 55) Case transferred to CSC.

Sep 19, 2013 - (Day 58) NOA2

Approved!

N-400, Application for Naturalization

Jun 07, 2016 - (Day 0) I-75 Package mailed to VSC

Jun 14, 2016 - (Day 6) Check cashed

Jul 02, 2016 - (Day 25) Biometrics NOA

Jul 18, 2016 - (Day 41) Biometrics Taken

Aug 30, 2016 - (Day 84) Interview NOA

Sep 28, 2016 - (Day 113) Interview Scheduled

Will I be able to vote at the 2016 elections?

Just a thought, is it possible to file the motion to reopen with evidence that approval of the 2-year rule waiver is pending? Or are there any other motions that can be filed, i.e. in court cases you can file a motion for continuance (which gives you more time to collect evidence needed for your case or be ready for trial given whatever other circumstances are applicable). I am not familiar with this aspect of immigration law, but looking at the US court system & administrative law, it seems it should be possible. I know that for the most part you can't argue with USCIS, but I am just wondering if something like that could be an option - maybe the more experienced people here or an immigration attorney will know.

10/07/2007 Entered the US on J-1 visa

11/03/2008 Changed status to F-1

02/14/2010 Married

03/15/2010 Filed AOS (from F-1)

05/27/2010 AOS approved, GC Issued

02/28/2012 Mailed I-751 (Removal of Conditions)

03/01/2012 I-751 received by CSC/NOA Issued

03/15/2012 Biometrics letter sent

04/12/2012 Biometrics appointment per letter

05/27/2012 GC expires

Timeline

Just a thought, is it possible to file the motion to reopen with evidence that approval of the 2-year rule waiver is pending? Or are there any other motions that can be filed, i.e. in court cases you can file a motion for continuance (which gives you more time to collect evidence needed for your case or be ready for trial given whatever other circumstances are applicable). I am not familiar with this aspect of immigration law, but looking at the US court system & administrative law, it seems it should be possible. I know that for the most part you can't argue with USCIS, but I am just wondering if something like that could be an option - maybe the more experienced people here or an immigration attorney will know.

You can file a motion to reopen but it will be denied. If the I-485 is not approvable then USCIS is compelled to deny it. If you end up at the point where you're standing in front of an immigration judge then you may ask for a stay while the waiver application is being adjudicated, and the judge has the discretion to grant the stay. Most attorneys would strongly recommend you don't send the I-485 until the waiver has been approved.

Bear in mind that immigration is neither a criminal nor civil legal process. Dealing with USCIS is no different, from a legal perspective, from dealing with any other government agency that handles discretionary benefits. You can ask for a benefit. If it's denied then you can use whatever appeals process they provide. If you want the normal procedures and protections of the court system then you need to file a suit against the agency. That forces the agency to justify their decision according to the law. It also costs a truckload of money.

If your immigrant petition is granted but waiver application is denied, you need to return to your home country and reside there for two (2) years. After two years,you wil be eligible to apply for an immigrant visa to enter the US

http://www.hooyou.com/j-1/j1_2year_rule_faq.html

http://www.isso.cornell.edu/academicstaff/jwaiver.php

First of all thanks everyone for your answer, I was not expecting any answers since then first time I am checking this form.

Here is more info:

"immigrant petition is granted" and I already applied for a waiver 3 months ago it is almost done, my embassy sent the "No objection letter" to State Dept. I guess it will take one more month to be granted.

Now my question is I wanna talk to the immigration judge instead of re-applying for i485 because I have no money left for sending to government. Is it possible to be transferred to immigration court from USCIS? or can I directly apply for being judged at immigration court.

I am currently working on finding another lawyer.

Yes, if you must reapply then you will start over from the beginning. If you try to reopen the case, then you I believe you will miss the deadline in waiting for HRR waiver anyway (there is 30 days to respond to reopen, right?). Hopefully your I-130 will be approved so you won't have to apply for that again (if you are applying based on a marriage). There have been a few members who had to reapply here based on some sort of mistake like inadequately responding to an RFE, etc.

I'm sorry that this is happening to you :( How about a new lawyer? Good luck.

Thanks for your good wishes.

yes my application is based on my marriage. I almost got the 2 year rule waiver granted. I-130 was approved 3 months ago. what are my options? I dont have money to re apply and pay another 1000 something dollar. What are the ways of seing the immigration judge?

Good luck!

I-130 is approved, what is a NOA2? Since I can not hire another attorney now do you think it will be easy to refile everything?

Thank you

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.