PhiLandShiR

Russians Storm Hijacked Ship, Free Crew From Pirates

25 posts in this topic

http://www.aolnews.com/world/article/russian-special-forces-storm-hijacked-ship-free-crew-from-somali-pirates/19466804

(May 6) -- Russian special forces stormed an imperiled oil tanker off the Horn of Africa and freed its crew this morning from Somali pirates who hijacked the vessel a day earlier.

The dramatic rescue comes after a 20-hour siege aboard the ship called Moscow University, a Liberian-flagged oil tanker bound for China carrying more than $50 million worth of crude oil.

Armed Somali pirates driving speed boats allegedly attacked the ship around dawn Wednesday in the Gulf of Aden, between Yemen and Somalia. The 23-member crew locked themselves in an engine room to protect themselves -- which also prevented the pirates from being able to drive the ship.

Accounts of that siege and today's rescue appear on the websites of the ship's owner, the Novorossiysk Shipping Company, or Novoship, as well as that of the European Union's naval force.

After the ship was hijacked, Russia dispatched one of its warships, the Marshal Shaposhnikov, to the area. When the warship got within view of the Moscow University, it sent out a helicopter to hover over the boat and investigate. It confirmed that the hijacked ship was disabled and wasn't moving.

Pirates fired their weapons up at the helicopter, and knowing that the ship's crew was locked in the engine room and wouldn't be caught in the crossfire, Russian troops fired back at the pirates, the EU naval force said. A gun battle ensued, and eventually the pirates surrendered. All of them were captured, and the crew was freed, the EU force said.

At one point during the battle, Russian special forces rappelled down onto the deck of the hijacked ship, The Associated Press reported.

"The pirates were unable to take a single hostage or command the ship," Novoship said. "The personnel of the Marshal Shaposhnikov performed their duties in the best traditions of Russian sailors," it said. "All members of the crew are alive and well."

Oil tankers like the Moscow University typically have safe rooms stocked with food, water and other supplies -- including communication equipment -- in case of attacks like this one. The crew was able to contact Russian and EU authorities for help from inside the engine room.

There have been other reports, however, that one of the Somali pirates was killed in the fighting. Russia's state-run RIA news agency is quoting an unnamed Russian defense ministry official as saying one pirate was killed and 10 were captured.

Piracy off the Horn of Africa has escalated in recent years and reached a peak in 2009, with Somalia accounting for more than half of that year's 406 attacks, according to the U.N. International Maritime Bureau. Somali pirates waged 217 attacks last year, hijacking 47 ships and taking 867 crew members hostage, the group said.

In recent months, naval authorities have stepped up rescue missions against vessels hijacked by Somali pirates. In February, Danish special forces forced pirates trying to hijack the ship Ariella to flee, while the ship's crew members similarly locked themselves in a secure room. EU Naval Force ships are also disrupting piracy in greater numbers, and American warships have also been involved in gun battles with pirates in recent weeks.

kp7cnfvctuzu.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

and that is how it's done by the pros. :thumbs:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

If every cargo ship did this, then cargo ships would no longer be lucrative targets. The pirates will then primarily target passenger ships.

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

If every cargo ship did this, then cargo ships would no longer be lucrative targets. The pirates will then primarily target passenger ships.

What are you implying? That we should encourage cargo ships to give up so that passenger ships will be safe?

I haven't heard of many passenger ships being taken. I don't think that the Somali coast is a hot spot for cruises.

Filed: Timeline
This is Google's cache of http://www.somalicruises.com/. It is a snapshot of the page as it appeared on May 2, 2010 23:31:30 GMT.

SOMALI CRUISES

Cruise along Africa's east coast!

Fun For The Whole Family!

Most cruises offer a mini-bar

We offer a mounted Mini-Gun

››› Read More.

It's like a safari, only better

"Safari" is the Swahili word for adventure and that's just what we have in store for you.

We sail up and down the coast of Somalia waiting to get hijacked by pirates. We encourage you to bring your 'High powered weapons' along on the cruise. If you don't have weapons of your own, you can rent them on the boat.

Don't miss the boat

The boat departs from Mombasa (Kenya) and docks at Djibouti harbor (in Djibouti).

Cabin space is limited so respond quickly. Reserve your package before June 29 and get 100 rounds of free tracer ammo in the caliber of your choice.

We guarantee adventure

We guarantee that you will experience at least two hijacking attempts by pirates or we will refund half your money back, including gun rental charges and any unused ammo (mini gun charges not included). How can we guarantee you will experience a hijacking? We operate at 5 knots within 12 miles of the coast of Somalia. If an attempted hijacking does not occur, we will turn the boat around and cruise by at 4 knots. We will repeat this for up to 8 days making three passes a day along the entire length of Somalia. At night the boat is fully lit and bottle rockets are shot off at intervals and loud disco music beamed shore side to attract attention.

Copyright © 2009 Somali Cruises | All Rights Reserved

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Timeline

aj, did you swipe that off my fb profile?

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

The smart thing the crew did was to get to the engine room. It's pretty difficult to get in, if those on the inside don't want to open the door, and it's pretty safe in there (although not totally if the pirates are willing to risk the ship itself).

This gives any rescue force the opportunity to mount an operation with little risk of friendly casualties.

Don't interrupt me when I'm talking to myself

2011-11-15.garfield.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Sorry, I call 'Fail!'

http://www.nytimes.c...e/08pirate.html

P*ssies..

Actually, there is some speculation as to what they actually did with the pirates. A popular theory seems to be that they actually killed them all but claimed they "freed" them.

K1: 01/15/2009 (mailed I-129F) - 06/23/2009 (visa received)

AOS: 08/08/2009 (mailed I-485, I-765, & I-131) - 10/29/2009 (received GC)

Filed: Timeline
All of them [the pirates] were captured...

Why? They were firing already. Why not get it over with? Time to raise the stakes for these folks. There should be some assurance that there's no return from an attempt to pirate a ship. Fit them all for a toe tag and get it tied.

Edited by Mr. Big Dog

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Ah - got it...

'Released the dead bodies into the pirate's craft'.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

Why? They were firing already. Why not get it over with? Time to raise the stakes for these folks. There should be some assurance that there's no return from an attempt to pirate a ship. Fit them all for a toe tag and get it tied.

we're making a good republican outta you! :dance:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

(May 6) -- Russian special forces stormed an imperiled oil tanker off the Horn of Africa and freed its crew this morning from Somali pirates who hijacked the vessel a day earlier.

In recent months, naval authorities have stepped up rescue missions against vessels hijacked by Somali pirates. In February, Danish special forces forced pirates trying to hijack the ship Ariella to flee, while the ship's crew members similarly locked themselves in a secure room. EU Naval Force ships are also disrupting piracy in greater numbers, and American warships have also been involved in gun battles with pirates in recent weeks.

It's about time the maritime nations stop with the hand-wringing and deal with the Somali pirates like they did with pirates in the old days. It's simply a farce on the high seas that one the poorest nations on the planet can restrict freedom of the seas in the Indian Ocean for all other nations.

You'd think the pirates would steer clear of certain vessels with they thought that certain countries would be tougher nuts to crack.

David & Lalai

th_ourweddingscrapbook-1.jpg

aneska1-3-1-1.gif

Greencard Received Date: July 3, 2009

Lifting of Conditions : March 18, 2011

I-751 Application Sent: April 23, 2011

Biometrics: June 9, 2011

It's about time the maritime nations stop with the hand-wringing and deal with the Somali pirates like they did with pirates in the old days. It's simply a farce on the high seas that one the poorest nations on the planet can restrict freedom of the seas in the Indian Ocean for all other nations.

You'd think the pirates would steer clear of certain vessels with they thought that certain countries would be tougher nuts to crack.

My head hurts! I agree with ALC!!!!! :help:

B and J K-1 story

• April 2004 met online
  • July 16, 2006 Met in person on her birthday in United Arab Emirates
  • August 4, 2006 sent certified mail I-129F packet Neb SC
  • August 9, 2006 NOA1
  • August 21, 2006 received NOA1 in mail
  • October 4, 5, 7, 13 & 17 2006 Touches! 50 day address change... Yes Judith is beautiful, quit staring at her passport photo and approve us!!! Shaming works! LOL
  • October 13, 2006 NOA2! November 2, 2006 NOA2? Huh? NVC already processed and sent us on to Abu Dhabi Consulate!
  • February 12, 2007 Abu Dhabi Interview SUCCESS!!! February 14 Visa in hand!
  • March 6, 2007 she is here!
  • MARCH 14, 2007 WE ARE MARRIED!!!
  • May 5, 2007 Sent AOS/EAD packet
  • May 11, 2007 NOA1 AOS/EAD
  • June 7, 2007 Biometrics appointment
  • June 8, 2007 first post biometrics touch, June 11, next touch...
  • August 1, 2007 AOS Interview! APPROVED!! EAD APPROVED TOO...
  • August 6, 2007 EAD card and Welcome Letter received!
  • August 13, 2007 GREEN CARD received!!! 375 days since mailing the I-129F!

Remove Conditions:

• May 1, 2009 first day to file
  • May 9, 2009 mailed I-751 to USCIS CS