newlyweds2010

Wrong name on my visa

21 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

I just got my K1 visa today from the US Consulate, and I noticed that they misspelled the petitioner's name (my fiancee's).

all the rest is correct: first name, middle name, our case number, etc.

what should we do?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You certainly should contact the consulate. The visa should match the name in the passport, if it does not, there could be issues with adjusting status

Get this fixed ASAP

Good luck.

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

You certainly should contact the consulate. The visa should match the name in the passport, if it does not, there could be issues with adjusting status

Get this fixed ASAP

Good luck.

The name on the visa does match the visa holder's passport name. The issue is the petitioner's name. I wouldn't worry about it much if it's a misspelling that can be identified as an error. For instance if it says Robet Smith instead of Robert Smith, that's not a problem but if it says James Jones instead of Robert Smith, definitely have it corrected.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

The name on the visa does match the visa holder's passport name. The issue is the petitioner's name. I wouldn't worry about it much if it's a misspelling that can be identified as an error. For instance if it says Robet Smith instead of Robert Smith, that's not a problem but if it says James Jones instead of Robert Smith, definitely have it corrected.

Thank you for your reply. yeah, I probably didn't make myself clear enough.

I am the beneficiary and my details are correct: name, family name, date of birth, everything perfect.

on the petitioner's line it says "LPEZ" instead of "LOPEZ". her first name and middle name are correct, and our case number is also correct. NOA1 and NOA2 are correctly addressed to Ms. LOPEZ.

I don't know what's in the envelope, but I assume that her name will also be correct.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

I just got my K1 visa today from the US Consulate, and I noticed that they misspelled the petitioner's name (my fiancee's).

all the rest is correct: first name, middle name, our case number, etc.

what should we do?

The Moscow Embassy also misspelled my name (petitioner) and they said Not to Worry. And she didn't have any issues. I'd not worry about it.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Thank you for your reply. yeah, I probably didn't make myself clear enough.

I am the beneficiary and my details are correct: name, family name, date of birth, everything perfect.

on the petitioner's line it says "LPEZ" instead of "LOPEZ". her first name and middle name are correct, and our case number is also correct. NOA1 and NOA2 are correctly addressed to Ms. LOPEZ.

I don't know what's in the envelope, but I assume that her name will also be correct.

What's in the envelope is your complete case file. The name will be correct in there too. I wouldn't worry about it.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

The Moscow Embassy also misspelled my name (petitioner) and they said Not to Worry. And she didn't have any issues. I'd not worry about it.

thank you for this! I was already planning a sleepless night tonight, being too worried about the visa.

When do you plan to use the visa?

If you are leaving tomorrow, I wouldn't try to correct it. If you are doing like we did, and it will be a few months before you plan to leave for the US, I'd have it corrected. If USCIS can be picky about all the i's being dotted and all the t's being crossed, then I think we should expect that they will make sure what they issue to us has all the i's dotted, t's crossed and o's included!! Also, the visa issuing agency is not the same as the Green Card issuing agency. If it were me, I'd feel better if everything matched up.

Edited by Nik+Heather

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Timeline

When do you plan to use the visa?

If you are leaving tomorrow, I wouldn't try to correct it. If you are doing like we did, and it will be a few months before you plan to leave for the US, I'd have it corrected. If USCIS can be picky about all the i's being dotted and all the t's being crossed, then I think we should expect that they will make sure what they issue to us has all the i's dotted, t's crossed and o's included!! Also, the visa issuing agency is not the same as the Green Card issuing agency. If it were me, I'd feel better if everything matched up.

I'm planning to leave in something more than a month from now. tomorrow morning I'm going to call the US Consulate and see what they suggest to do.

that's exactly what I'm scared of, that another agency will be picky and make a big issue about a clear error like LPEZ instead of LOPEZ (I mean, have you ever heard of Jennifer LPEZ? or George LPEZ? of course not, I don't even know how you could pronounce it...). the only thing I'm sure about is that I've got to leave by the middle of May, but anyway I think they'll be able to fix this thing by then.

I'm planning to leave in something more than a month from now. tomorrow morning I'm going to call the US Consulate and see what they suggest to do.

that's exactly what I'm scared of, that another agency will be picky and make a big issue about a clear error like LPEZ instead of LOPEZ (I mean, have you ever heard of Jennifer LPEZ? or George LPEZ? of course not, I don't even know how you could pronounce it...). the only thing I'm sure about is that I've got to leave by the middle of May, but anyway I think they'll be able to fix this thing by then.

:oops: ...BIG OOPS!! Congrats on your Visa Approval though!!

Invictus..

Out of the night that covers me,

Black as the Pit from pole to pole,

I thank whatever gods may be

For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance

I have not winced nor cried aloud.

Under the bludgeonings of chance

My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears

Looms but the Horror of the shade,

And yet the menace of the years

Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,

How charged with punishments the scroll.

I am the master of my fate:

I am the captain of my soul.

William Ernest Henley

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.