EasternDE

I-94 wasn't stapled on my passport

43 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Alternatively you could setup an InfoPass at your local USCIS office and ask them to check in their databases if you were logged as arriving as a K-1. Take your passport and all visa / petition information for their reference. If they can find that K-1 entry record, and you can convince them to their satisfaction that you never received an I-94, they may give you a replacement.

If they can't find a record of your entry as a K-1, more than likely USCBP entered you as a standard B1/B2 tourist visa or a visa waiver entrant, which means you'll need to deal with them... but at least you'll have a record that they screwed up. (Get a letter from the IO before you leave USCIS if this is the case.)

I would not leave this too long. Any I-94 replacement you get will still only be valid for as long as the original, 90 days from your entry as a K-1.

PS: If it comes down to it, it's better to marry within the 90 days and wait to adjust status than to wait for the I-94 replacement to marry.

Edited by Spoom

I-129F / K-1 / AOS:

2009-02-21: Sent I-129F package to VSC

2009-11-09: Interview in Montreal - VISA GRANTED!

2009-11-21: POE - Moved to be with my fiancee :)

2010-01-23: Married!

2010-02-19: Sent I-485 (AOS), I-765 (EAD), I-131 (AP) package to Chicago Lockbox

2010-03-01: NOA1

2010-03-16: Transferred to CSC!

2010-03-24: Biometrics in Buffalo

2010-04-21: AOS APPROVED!

2010-04-27: Received I-797 Approval / Welcome to America letter for AOS

2010-04-30: Received Green Card

ROC:

2012-03-12: Sent I-751 package to VSC

2012-03-13: I-751 package arrived at VSC (Hi D. Renaud!)

2012-03-14: NOA1

2012-03-15: I-751 check cashed

2012-03-19: Received NOA1

2012-03-27: Received biometrics appt. notice for 2012-04-19 in Buffalo

2012-04-09: Successful early walk-in biometrics at Cleveland ASC

2012-12-04: I-751 APPROVED / 10 YR GC PRODUCTION ORDERED!

Naturalization:

2015-11-30: Here we go again: Filling out the N-400

2015-12-21: Sent N-400 to Phoenix AZ Lockbox

2015-12-23: NOA Date

2016-01-20: Biometrics in Cleveland

2016-01-25: In-line for interview

2016-01-25: Interview scheduled!

2016-01-29: Received interview letter! Scheduled for...

2016-02-29: Interview in Cleveland - APPROVED!

2016-03-18: Naturalization ceremony in Cleveland! I am a US Citizen!

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Ok, a little update...

As we've had no news or any kind of update from the officer we've talked to (aka the nasty women), we finally went straight to the airport.

So they still couldn't track my file, so it's obvious now that my i-94 was never issued, but hmm they have a problem to say it clearly.

I was just given a random USCIS information form "As you're an immigrant, this issue will be handled by USCIS, here is where you can contact them. Goodbye."

I'll try to contact that officer again tomorrow (the office is opened only from 9 to 12am), if I can't reach her, I'll schedule an infopass.

It is some kind of a relief that it's never been issued at all, rather than it's been lost, even if I have to file for I-102, we won't have to pay for it.

Luckily I don't have to rush for AOS. It's just a matter of delay for me, but still very annoying.

Last significant immigration event:

ROC: Approved : 04/17/2013

USCIS works in mysterious ways...

Ok, a little update...

As we've had no news or any kind of update from the officer we've talked to (aka the nasty women), we finally went straight to the airport.

So they still couldn't track my file, so it's obvious now that my i-94 was never issued, but hmm they have a problem to say it clearly.

I was just given a random USCIS information form "As you're an immigrant, this issue will be handled by USCIS, here is where you can contact them. Goodbye."

I'll try to contact that officer again tomorrow (the office is opened only from 9 to 12am), if I can't reach her, I'll schedule an infopass.

It is some kind of a relief that it's never been issued at all, rather than it's been lost, even if I have to file for I-102, we won't have to pay for it.

Luckily I don't have to rush for AOS. It's just a matter of delay for me, but still very annoying.

Do you have a stamp in your passport on the visa? Because if you aren't in the system at all, it sounds like there may be no way for you to prove that you entered with the appropriate inspection. That could spell big trouble down the line (It's one of the few exceptions to approval of AOS for spouses of US citizens)

It's time to go up the chain. Get to supervisor after supervisor until someone can help you. Tracking entries is CBP's job, not USCIS, they need to fix it.

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Timeline

I have a stamp in my passport and my boarding pass...

Timeline

Ok so...

Last week we did fight some more with the airport CBP, we went there, called a dozen of times, nothing helped "This is USCIS issue now".

So we scheduled an infopass and today we went to our local USCIS office.

The officer there told us to directly apply for AOS, as i-102 processing time delay is 3 months...

She said the stamp in the passport is enough for a proof.

She was nice though, she told us to make fill the package and go back to her so she can review it before we send it, to make sure.

In the same time, it's a very small local office and we already know she is going to be the one who will interview us so it gives us a little confidence.

Though we won't have much proofs as I can't apply for SSN, we can't open a joint bank account or anything...

I am still VERY mad at myself though but at this point, there's nothing much else we could do than filling for AOS.

Bleh.

Ok so...

Last week we did fight some more with the airport CBP, we went there, called a dozen of times, nothing helped "This is USCIS issue now".

So we scheduled an infopass and today we went to our local USCIS office.

The officer there told us to directly apply for AOS, as i-102 processing time delay is 3 months...

She said the stamp in the passport is enough for a proof.

She was nice though, she told us to make fill the package and go back to her so she can review it before we send it, to make sure.

In the same time, it's a very small local office and we already know she is going to be the one who will interview us so it gives us a little confidence.

Though we won't have much proofs as I can't apply for SSN, we can't open a joint bank account or anything...

I am still VERY mad at myself though but at this point, there's nothing much else we could do than filling for AOS.

Bleh.

Hope everything works out. It really sounds like a huge headache!

Anyway, there are other things to get for proofs and you don't need an SSN to get them. The credit card company let me add Nik as an authorized user on my credit card without an SSN. I was able to get a family plan on the cell phone for both of us without an SSN. I could add him to the health insurance without it, and also to the car insurance.

Good luck!

K-1:

AOS:

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

ROC:

Timeline

It is a huge headache...

And the fact that I should have been able to avoid it makes it so worse...

My main concern is health insurance actually, I am happy to hear you could add your spouse without the SSN, I hope this will work for us too.

It is a huge headache...

And the fact that I should have been able to avoid it makes it so worse...

My main concern is health insurance actually, I am happy to hear you could add your spouse without the SSN, I hope this will work for us too.

• 4 months later...
Timeline

I wanted to update my thread. I'm sure some other people will have to deal with I-94 issue.

So I did what the USCIS officer (Infopass) advised me, I filed for AoS without I-94.

What I did, instead of the I-94 copy you're supposed to include, I joined a timeline of my arrival and description of all the issues I had to get my I-94. At the end of that document, I also sworn that I entered legally that day and never left the US terroritories since that. I also added a copy of my visa with the stamp and my boarding pass.

And I got the nice I-485 Card production mail today. :)

My case was transfered to CSC, we didn't have any interview, no RFE, and were approved in 2 months delay.

But trust me, I made sure all the other documents and forms were perfectly filled.

To avoid this terrible headache, I would recommend strongly: MAKE SURE your I-94 is stapled into your passport! ;)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Good work indeed -- and congratulations, si man! :)

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

I wanted to update my thread. I'm sure some other people will have to deal with I-94 issue.

To avoid this terrible headache, I would recommend strongly: MAKE SURE your I-94 is stapled into your passport! ;)

Hey, thanks for updating! Not everyone does that, so it's good to have a working solution on the boards.

So many things to do/check and POE, and the beneficiary's mind is ALL on their sweetie just outside the doors!! :(

K-1:

AOS:

ROC:

Timeline

I actually have found a document online, it was a report from a conference between immigration lawyers and USCIS that was stating that I-94 can be replaced with proofs of legal entry and a written timeline.

Unfortunatly I didn't bookmark it.

Oddly, my I-485 was approved before my EAD! In two months, which is a very short delay.

I am wondering if my case didn't go straight to a supervisor.

Can't wait to have a card in hands though!

Thank you for your support!

• 1 month later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Good info on here...my wifes I-94 was never stapled into her passport as well. It was just tucked into the passport plastic cover...we are hoping this is her I-94 lol

Met on Thailovelines.com on 4/20/09

Met her in Thailand on 7/17/09

Proposed to her In Bangkok on 7/25/09

Returned alone back to Tx on 8/2/09

Finalized my divorce after 17 months on 12/9/09

Filed I-129f at VSC on 12/22/09

NOA1 on 12/28/09

Touch on 3/13/10

Touch again on 3/15/10

NOA2 on 3/16/10 ....(took 79 days from my NOA1)

Received at NVC on 3/24/10

Medical and Background on 4/22/10

Embassy received packet 3 on 5/27/10

Interview passed on 7/16/10

Arrived in Texas on 7/26/10 .....finally!!!!!!!!

**Married on 9/25/10** :)

(AOS)

Sent off I-485 on 1/3/11

Sent off I-765 on 1/3/11

NOA I-485 on 1/10/11

NOA I-765 on 1/10/11

Biometric on 1/28/11

EAD I-765 approved on 3/14/11

I-485 transfered to CSC on 3/15/11

EAD card in hand on 3/16/11

SS card received on 3/25/11

NOA I-485 approved on 4/18/11

GREEN CARD RECEIVED ON 4/20/11 (No Interview)

(REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS)

Sent package off on 2/11/13

usa-180-animated-flag-gifs.gifMATT and LADDAWANthailand-180-animated-flag-gifs.gif

Deer Park, TX/USA

Bangkok, TH

You are my World and Everything in my life Laddawan

I LOVE YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Good info on here...my wifes I-94 was never stapled into her passport as well. It was just tucked into the passport plastic cover...we are hoping this is her I-94 lol

It will say "CBP Form I-94" in the lower right corner on the front side. If it doesn't, then it's not an I-94.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.