EasternDE

I-94 wasn't stapled on my passport

43 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

So here is my sad and stupid story...

I entered the country on March 29th, after a very exhausting trip, I had to wait 3 hours at the immigration before I'd get my passport back.

When I finally got it back, I checked it and I said "Isn't there something missing?! There is just a stamp, this is it?"

This morning, I was doing a checklist, and I am obviously missing the i-94 in my passport.

So we called the Philadelphia immigration office, and they were not helpful at all, even rude, saying I must have lost it.

It's barely been a week, I haven't been carrying my passport around, it is not possible I have lost it.

So they say they have to wait a week, or two, or three (!) to check for evidences (?) because right now they can't find any record about me in their system.

So I have had a look on similar topic threads here, and it's suggested to call the deffered inspection site, now this office is also located in Philadelphia's airport so I am afraid it's the same people I've talked to this morning. But it is a different phone number...

The officer I've had on the phone was so rude and not helpful that I'm tempted to call this other number later to get someone else...

I am so angry at myself right now for having missed this... :(

Anyone has a suggestion?

Last significant immigration event:

ROC: Approved : 04/17/2013

USCIS works in mysterious ways...

Filed: Timeline

Return to the airport where you immigrated into the country and advise them (Immigrations) of your situation...they will look you up in their system and provide you with the I-94. Let us know how it goes and the airport you go to for future reference for other VJers.

Good luck...

NBF

So here is my sad and stupid story...

I entered the country on March 29th, after a very exhausting trip, I had to wait 3 hours at the immigration before I'd get my passport back.

When I finally got it back, I checked it and I said "Isn't there something missing?! There is just a stamp, this is it?"

This morning, I was doing a checklist, and I am obviously missing the i-94 in my passport.

So we called the Philadelphia immigration office, and they were not helpful at all, even rude, saying I must have lost it.

It's barely been a week, I haven't been carrying my passport around, it is not possible I have lost it.

So they say they have to wait a week, or two, or three (!) to check for evidences (?) because right now they can't find any record about me in their system.

So I have had a look on similar topic threads here, and it's suggested to call the deffered inspection site, now this office is also located in Philadelphia's airport so I am afraid it's the same people I've talked to this morning. But it is a different phone number...

The officer I've had on the phone was so rude and not helpful that I'm tempted to call this other number later to get someone else...

I am so angry at myself right now for having missed this... :(

Anyone has a suggestion?

No, call deferred inspection - you can go to the one closest to you, it doesn't have to be where you came in, or even in an airport (though they are frequently near the airport). They are offices specifically for this sort of situation - to get paperwork worked out. It should be easy to see if it was stapled in at all - because there would be holes in the page!!

I do agree with what you were told that you should wait maybe a couple of weeks to be sure that your entry which was recorded electronically has filtered through the system and all of the databases updated.

Edited by Nik+Heather

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Timeline

Ok, just to be clear:

- My POE was Philadelphia airport

- The Deferred inspection site is at Philadelphia airport

- I called the Philadelphia immigration office this morning and said I'd come, but they say it would be useless

- There is no other immigration or deferred inspection site around than the one that is at Philadelphia airport which is also the one that's the closest to me.

And of course, there is no holes in my passport... Plus I actually checked when they gave it back to me there wasn't anything.

There is just my visa which is stamped with the entry and expiration date of the K1 visa. I actually believe that this stamp should be on the i-94 form not on my passport...

I'm afraid there's not much to do than wait two weeks, I understand that they can't issue one if they're not sure if it has been ever issued...

What I'm scared of is that they actually processed my I-94, because I gave it to them, but they didn't staple it on my passport and say I am the one responsible for having lost it. Which would make us filling for that 300$ fee form... -_-

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

How is it possible that they have no record of you? Sounds like they are a little clueless here too...

In order to try to help you out, here's a few questions: did you fill out the white form on the plane? Because the last part of that form is actually the i-94 card, I am saying this because some people are not too familiar with it(I entered the US over 15 times in my life so I know about this stuff :star: ), or they haven't been to the US enough to know. If you filled it out, and if you are familiar with it, why didn't you tell them it was missing? Are you sure they didn't put it inside your passport without stapling it (a pretty dumb thing to do but it happens)? In that case you might have lost it. But if you have a stamp with the date and POE on your passport I don't understand how they have no record of you, especially considering that you handed over the sealed envelope too, right?

Anyways, I can help by saying that 3 years ago my passport and i94 card was stolen, I was here on a j1 visa and it was a nightmare. It is possible, however, to get a new i94, the problem is it costs 320 bucks and takes about 3 months. I had to do it, else I would have not be able to start my internship, get a SSN and get paid, so I know it is possible and I didn't even have a copy of the passport because it had been stolen (learned my lesson and keep MULTIPLE copies now ;)). All they need is the police report, plus other easy-to-gather evidence, so you might have to file for one before you can get a new card. I would try to call the other number again though, you never know. Or go to the airport, like the other member suggested.

One last thing...why did it take you 3 hours to get the passport back? Anyways, Hope this helps!

Link to USCIS section about i94

event.png

AOS Journey

Marriage: 2010-03-06

Date Filed: 2010-03-23

NOA: 2010-04-02 (via texts and emails)+check cashed

NOA1 in the mail: 2010-04-07

Bio Appointment letter: 04/29 (FINALLY!!!!)

Bio Appointment: scheduled 05/24, walk-in on 05/03, yay!

**Touch on AOS and EAD: 05/03 and 05/04

Interview notice: 05/14, dated 05/11. It's for 06/17

EAD and AP approved: 06/03

**Touch on EAD and AP: 06/04

**Touch on AP: 06/07

**Touch on EAD and 2nd card production ordered: 06/08

**Touch on EAD: 06/09

AP received: 06/09

**Touch on EAD: 06/11. 3rd approval email received!

EAD received: 06/11 step 2 of 3 completed!

Interview scheduled: 06/17 @ 915 am APPROVED and card production ordered same day!!!!

Welcome letter received:06/21

2nd email Green Card production ordered:06/22

**Touch on AOS:06/23

3rd email received, blue dot went to post decision: 06/30

Tik tok tik tok....GREEN CARD IN HAND: 07/02!!!!!Less than a year since filing for the k1!

K1 Journey

I-129F Sent: 2009-08-12

I-129F NOA1: 2009-08-14

I-129F NOA2: 2009-10-29

Packet 3 Received: 2009-11-17

Interview: 2010-02-16, approved, visa the same day!

POE: 2010-03-03 @ LAX

Timeline

I'm afraid there's not much to do than wait two weeks, I understand that they can't issue one if they're not sure if it has been ever issued...

The USCIS website does say Application for Replacement/Initial Nonimmigrant Arrival-Departure Document, which makes me think they can issue it for the first time. You are right, the stamp should not be on the visa. Looks like this officer didn't really know what he/she was doing so it might be their fault, and in that case you don't have to pay anything (although it is hard to prove). It doesn't change the fact that you entered legally, as you visa proves, and that there is some stamp on it so that's good at least. Try going back to the airport or to you local USCIS office maybe?

event.png

AOS Journey

Interview scheduled: 06/17 @ 915 am APPROVED and card production ordered same day!!!!

Tik tok tik tok....GREEN CARD IN HAND: 07/02!!!!!Less than a year since filing for the k1!

K1 Journey

Timeline

I did fill the I-94 form for sure and I did hand it to the POE agent when I handed the brown enveloppe too.

The day I landed the airport was VERY crowded, I had to wait 2 hours in the immigration lines then another hour at the Secondary Inspection office which was also full of people.

I am 100% sure that no I-94 form was handed back to me, because I checked my passport when they gave it back to me, and I told them "Isn't something missing, a stamp this is it?" God knows why I didn't insist on the I-94 form, I was truly exhausted.

The office I called is my POE, which is also the Deferred Inspection site, which is also the nearest immigration point. All those seem to be the same office which is located in the Philadelphia Airport.

Other than that there's Dover's USCIS office but that's a 2 hours drive away.

It seems to be normal they have no record for now, they told me it usually takes 2 weeks to get processed and appear on their system.

I guess I'm going to wait a week and called the Deferred Inspection number, hopefully by then I'll appear somewhere in their trackings.

Keep us updated - not only for our voracious curiosity, but so that we can better advise people who run into the same problems in the future.

If they are still giving you hassles, then ask for a supervisor. Just keep going up the chain until you get someone who can help you.

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Timeline

Thank you very much :star:

I still want to beat myself with a stick for this stupid mistake.

It feels very good to vent this frustation...

And to know that no matter what it will get sorted out.

Timeline

Thank you very much :star:

I still want to beat myself with a stick for this stupid mistake.

It feels very good to vent this frustation...

And to know that no matter what it will get sorted out.

I understand your frustration, I was so worried when my passport was stolen. I had to do some waiting, but it got sorted out. When are you planning on getting married? In the meantime, you can still start filling out the forms with the info you have for now and start gathering documents. That way, when you get more info you'll basically be ready to file for AOS!

Good luck and keep us posted

event.png

AOS Journey

K1 Journey

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Let me try to help you since Im from Philadelphia... looking at my hubbys passport now....He has the stamp on the actual passport(page 4) and he has a stamp on the I-94 with K-1 on it...Yep sounds to me like they didn't attach your I-94 stamp...

Now how do you go about trying to get it... Let me try to find some info and get back to you....

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Maybe try this form, Im not really sure but it could help?

http://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/DHSTRIP_Traveler_Inquiry_Form.pdf

You could check other and then it asks for "incident report" you can explain how they never stapled a copy of your I-94 into your passport.

Im grasping at straws here but I don't think it could hurt. Let us know how you make out please. Good luck to you...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

If you never received the I-94 it is THEIR mistake. You do not need to pay for a replacement I-94 because one was never issued. There is a possibility that the person who processed your envelope enclosed the I-94 in the envelope, but again, that was not your problem - it was theirs and their error that failed to provide you with the I-94.

Seriously, instead of calling, go back in person to the deferred inspection station bringing your passport. The stamped K-1 shows the date you entered and the fact that you entered legally. No holes in your passport will show that the I-94 was never stapled in your passport. It will be obvious that someone screwed up when you were processed and did not do the job correctly. They need to correct their error by now issuing you the I-94. They have all the evidence they need to do so in your passport. Yes, it will take a week to ten days for USCIS to input your information into their systems but the POE has all of the evidence it requires to correct their error. Keep asking to speak to the next level of supervision or person in charge until you get to someone who is willing and able to correct the mistake.

Good luck.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

Kathryn, at first I did let my man dealing with this, and he came back saying we have to call back in two weeks blabla...

So I straight called them back and I literally yelled what you wrote : it's your mistake, please correct it right now, anyway no choice we're coming right now. The guy said ok, come, and even gave me directions. Buuuut 5 mns later a supervisor called us back and that's the rude woman who basically said no need to come, waste of time we won't do anything before we can see your records in our system.

Now I can also understand that replacing is different that issuing a I-94 number that's never been issued.

What I am really scared of is that she straight talked to me like I am the one who lost it, like if they have any record of a I-94 issued, it would be my problem to fix it.

My other problem is that my man is a "We do as we are told" kind. And he is the one who drives...

If you never received the I-94 it is THEIR mistake. You do not need to pay for a replacement I-94 because one was never issued. There is a possibility that the person who processed your envelope enclosed the I-94 in the envelope, but again, that was not your problem - it was theirs and their error that failed to provide you with the I-94.

Seriously, instead of calling, go back in person to the deferred inspection station bringing your passport. The stamped K-1 shows the date you entered and the fact that you entered legally. No holes in your passport will show that the I-94 was never stapled in your passport. It will be obvious that someone screwed up when you were processed and did not do the job correctly. They need to correct their error by now issuing you the I-94. They have all the evidence they need to do so in your passport. Yes, it will take a week to ten days for USCIS to input your information into their systems but the POE has all of the evidence it requires to correct their error. Keep asking to speak to the next level of supervision or person in charge until you get to someone who is willing and able to correct the mistake.

Good luck.

It's often difficult to get back to the inspection area of an airport, as it is on the inbound side of airport. Simply arriving at the airport and speaking to officials on the outbound side can be frustrating. The TSA officials you encounter in the outbound terminal have separate functions from CBP at inbound and will be of little use to you.

Best to first contact CBP by phone and ask if they can help you. Find you closest CBP office and ring them. They should be able to give you the direct telephone number to CBP at your airport. Ask to speak to the commanding officer and politely explain what occurred. They should be willing to meet you on the outbound side of the airport and escort you back to the inbound area so that you may be issued a new I94.

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.