17 posts in this topic

Hello,

I read in the forum for a while and figured out that it can take quite a while to receive a certified copy of the marriage certificate after the wedding which is necessary for the AOS. I'm still in the process of receiving the K1 and it's estimated by the Agency to take 4 month more. Anyway, I'm wondering how easy it is to obtain the necessary copy of the marriage certificate faster if marriage takes place in Las Vegas. I really want to send all necessary documents as quickly as possible.

What's your experience?

Thanks

There's no magic about Las Vegas (the thing about Vegas is there's no waiting period to get the license) - We got our marriage certificate (in Texas) the day after we got married (could have been the same day, but we had other plans).

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: New Zealand
Timeline
Moving from K1 forum to 'New life in America' forum.

Just a humble suggestion, but since the OP is looking for answers about getting marriage certificates for AOS, maybe the AOS from family visa forum would better serve their question?

I-129F

6 Nov 2009: NOA1

2 March 2010: NOA2 (116 days)

14 April 2010: Interview (159 days) Approved!!

30 April 2010: Married!

AoS

18 May 2010: NOA1 for AoS, EAD and AP

8 June 2010: Case transferred to CSC

10 June 2010: Biometrics completed

31 July 2010: EAD and AP received!

9 Sept. 2010: RFE email for AoS

(RFE for medical. We replied with letter stating that it's not required since done overseas within one year)

18 January 2010: Interview - passed! Card production ordered!

I think it took about 2 weeks for us to get our marriage from Las Vegas (Clark County Clerk/Recorder) - we live in Michigan. We had to wait until it appeared in the database before we ordered it online.

F & J

I-130 / IR-5 TIMELINE (Petition for Mother)

2016/11/14 — I-130 sent via USPS Priority Mail Express 1-Day

2016/11/15 — I-130 delivered at 11:20 am in PHOENIX, AZ 85034 to BANK ONE, signed for by J LOPEZ; Priority Date  |  2016/11/17 Receipt Date

2016/11/18 I-797C Notice Date; USCIS Acceptance Confirmation Email, case routed to Nebraska Service Center  |  2016/11/21I-797C Postmark

2017/01/18 I-797 Approval Notice Date  |  2017/01/19I-797 Postmark  |  2017/01/23 I-797 Approval Notice hard copy received

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
Hello,

I read in the forum for a while and figured out that it can take quite a while to receive a certified copy of the marriage certificate after the wedding which is necessary for the AOS. I'm still in the process of receiving the K1 and it's estimated by the Agency to take 4 month more. Anyway, I'm wondering how easy it is to obtain the necessary copy of the marriage certificate faster if marriage takes place in Las Vegas. I really want to send all necessary documents as quickly as possible.

What's your experience?

Thanks

My county mailed ours within 2 weeks of the civil cermony held at the county courthouse in front of the presiding judge.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Moldova
Timeline

About 2 -3 weeks...

GOD is Good,GOD is Great,GOD is Awesome!

*K1*(process time 7months & 13days)*

12.11.2007 -Filed I-129F

07.24.2008 -VISA interview. APPROVED!!!

*AOS*(process time 7months & 5days)*

11.26.2008 -Filed AOS,EAD,AP

02.09.2009- AP Received

03.20.2009-EAD Received

07.09.2009-2Year Green Card Received

*ROC*(process time 3months & 18days)*

04.04.2011-Filed ROC(I-751)

07.28.2011-10 Year GC Received

*NATURALIZATION*(process time 4months & 27days)*

04/02/2014- Filed N-400

07/08/14-Interview (Recommended for Approval)

08/29/2014-Oath Ceremony

as1cCDkFg000010OXNsenwxNjA0emx8V2UgaGF2Z

Mine took about 2 weeks from marriage to having the copy in our hands.

Edited by Rhiannercakes

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

Looking for your favourite Canadian foods that you can't find in the US?

Try this site! http://www.canadianfavourites.com/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

It took 9 days (they promise within 10 on the website) for it to show online, then after ordering they say 2 weeks if you ordered it online, 3 weeks if it's mailed in.

We were married in Vegas on Valentine's day. No blood test, no waiting period for wedding license. No hassles with marrying a non-US citizen. EZ.

K1:

Began chatting online 1-2-09, Met in Philippines 9-5 to 9-15-09, Mailed I-129F 9-17-09, I-129F delivered by USPS 9-21-09, Check cashed 9-21-09, NOA1 issued 9-21-09, NOA1 paper copy received 9-28-09, NOA2 issued 12-18-09, NVC received date 12-24-09, NOA2 paper copy received 12-28-09, NVC sent date 12-29-09, Embassy received date 01-05-10, Medical 01-07-10 & 01-11-10 approved/ passed, Interview date 01-14-10 APPROVED! MY HONEY'S COMING!, Visa delivered 1-27-10 Manila time, Arrival in U.S. 2-4-10 POE Minneapolis/ St. Paul

Married! 2-14-10 in Las Vegas

AOS:

Applied for SSN 2-17-10 Received SSN and Cert. Marriage Cert. 3-2-10

Mailed AOS packet 3-3-10

AOS paperwork confirmed delivered 3-4-10

Email/ text notification of NOA1s 3-12-10

*touch* 3-15-10 AOS & EAD

Paper copy NOA1s received 3-16-10

*touch* 3-17-10 AOS & EAD

Received biometrics appointment letter 3-20-10, appointment set for 4-12-10

Case transferred to CSC 3-31-10!! Yay!!

Received email notice 4-6-10 I-485 received at CSC

Biometrics done 4-12-10, Milwaukee, WI ASC

Vicky got her driving permit, 4-12-10

*touch* 4-13-10 AOS & EAD

*touch* 4-21-10 AOS only

*touch* 4-22-10 AOS only

EAD card production ordered 5-14-10.

*touch* 5-17-10 EAD only

EAD card production ordered 5-19-10 (again?)

Received "Welcome to USA" letter 5-25-10, permanent resident application approved!

EAD card received 5-29-10

Greencard received 6-11-10

Positive pregnancy test 6-12-10

it's been awhile but I recall ours came super quick - less than 10 days IIRC

It took 9 days (they promise within 10 on the website) for it to show online, then after ordering they say 2 weeks if you ordered it online, 3 weeks if it's mailed in.

We were married in Vegas on Valentine's day. No blood test, no waiting period for wedding license. No hassles with marrying a non-US citizen. EZ.

We won enough money to pay for our AOS. Vegas FTW!

90day.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Moved from Moving Here and Your New life in America to AOS from Family based Visa forum

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
it's been awhile but I recall ours came super quick - less than 10 days IIRC

We won enough money to pay for our AOS. Vegas FTW!

That was a GREAT wedding present ;)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Yep, it was roughly 2 weeks for us too from Vegas. We went with a Vegas wedding for a couple of reasons:

1. We were living in the middle of nowhere practically, so we would have to plan something from scratch with little notice in our little town. We wanted a nice wedding for not too much money.

2. His family was flying over, and we thought it'd be better for them to spend their first time in the U.S. with something to actually see and do besides being bored in our little town.

3. We couldn't do it easily enough where my parents live either, since Texas has a 72 hour waiting period.

We got married in La Bella wedding chapel (which is inside the LV Hilton) and could not have been happier with it all. It was a great deal, quality photos, and super friendly service. We enjoyed our limo ride from our hotel, had our own flower color choice, and brought our own CD of music instead of using their standard choice. I really recommend them for a great service!

K-1 Timeline

05/14/08 Engaged on my last day while visiting Bremen

07/03 Mailed 129f package

07/24 NOA1

12/05 NOA2

12/27 Packet 3 received

01/19/09 Medical in Hamburg

03/24 Successful interview at Frankfurt

03/31 Visa received

07/09 POE Salt Lake City

AOS/EAD/AP Timeline

08/22/09 Mailed package

08/28 NOA1

10/28 Biometrics completed; EAD card production ordered

11/07 EAD arrived

12/14 Successful AOS interview in Seattle

12/28/09 Greencard arrived

TIP:

When you get married (where ever it may be and whether it is a wedding ceremony or a small civil-ceremony) - ask the person who married you (the officiant) to let you take the (now signed) marriage license to have it recorded yourself.

This involves taking the signed marriage license to the state/county office that handles marriages (in Texas, that would be the County Clerk's Office) and having them 'record' the marriage and give you a marriage certificate. In many cases, this will save you a lot of time waiting for your license to circulate through the system.

This option may not apply to all states - I would imagine some states would still want to mail the certificate to you (but even so, you might be shaving at least the days the officiant would take to send it in).

Filed: Other Timeline

Out of curiosity, after having lived for 20, 30, or more years, and waited months for the K-1, what difference does it make whether you receive the marriage certificate after 2 days or 11 days? You are legal the moment you enter the US anyway and you're legal from thereon until Earth joins the United Federation of Planets. What are you hoping to gain by this "every day counts" approach?

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.