mclayto

Is the K3 worth it?

37 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I keep seeing it mentioned here and there, on this site and others, that the K3 is no longer useful. The speed is no better than normal CR/IR-1 process.

However, I don't get the feeling that everyone agrees. Even the processing time statistics on this site seem to show that the K3 would get my wife into the country sooner or at least have less chance of taking longer.

Note: She's in Mexico and I'm in North Carolina

So the question to the VJ community is: Is it worth it for me to start down the K3 path or just a waste of time and effort?

Thanks - I'm new here and loving the site

-Clayton

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Iran
Timeline

I still don't quite understand the difference between the K3 and CR1. When you send in the I130 you've automatically applied for both, no? If one will be faster then you can abandon the one you have for the other. But other than differing processing times, what is the real difference and why don't they just automatically start processing the one that will be quicker? I'm doing DCF in Turkey for the CR-1. I hope that is the best route. I will verify it at the interview in December I suppose.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

No, you dont' automatically apply for both. After the NOA-1 comes for the I-130 you must file the I-129F. Your I-130 gets taken out of line, matched up with the I-130 and put at the back on the line. Then both petitions are approved at the same time. When we filed, I-129Fs were being approved 6-8 weeks after the stand alone I-130s. So no, it does not save time at all. Plus, it is almost twice as expensive as the cr-1

Good luck.

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

In some countries, the K3 is still a little (2-4 weeks) faster than the CR-1- in many countries, it is not. However, considering how long you wait overall (6-8 months), this really isn't that long, and you trade in the slightly shorter waiting time of being together for alot of hassle, time wasting and money when you get to the USA as you cannot work immediately, have to file AOS etc. So I agree with the majority on this site in saying the K3 is obsolete.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline
No, you dont' automatically apply for both. After the NOA-1 comes for the I-130 you must file the I-129F. Your I-130 gets taken out of line, matched up with the I-130 and put at the back on the line. Then both petitions are approved at the same time. When we filed, I-129Fs were being approved 6-8 weeks after the stand alone I-130s. So no, it does not save time at all. Plus, it is almost twice as expensive as the cr-1

Good luck.

When doing DCF in Turkey you don't file the I-129f. You send in the I-130, DS230, G325, I864 and all supporting documents at once. Then they schedule your interview and tell you to bring passport, etc. so I don't know what is even on the I-129f. I just noticed that right under the title for the k3 forum it says:

People who file for a K-3 have automatically also filed for a IR1/CR1 Visa (I-130) and can persue that visa if it is approved faster than the K-3.

And under the title for the CR1 forum it says:

Please note that all K-3 applicants have already filed for this visa by default (the I-130 you filed). If this option is faster than the K-3 then you can abandon your K-3 Visa and get this one instead.

Timeline
In some countries, the K3 is still a little (2-4 weeks) faster than the CR-1- in many countries, it is not. However, considering how long you wait overall (6-8 months), this really isn't that long, and you trade in the slightly shorter waiting time of being together for alot of hassle, time wasting and money when you get to the USA as you cannot work immediately, have to file AOS etc. So I agree with the majority on this site in saying the K3 is obsolete.

Oh, ok. So the difference is that the K3 is sometimes, but not always quicker but then you have more hassle upon arrival by not being able to work immediately and you have to file AOS, etc. But with the CR1 it 'might' take longer to get the visa but then when you arrive stateside you can work immediately and don't have to file AOS. Am I correct?

Timeline

Good luck.

When doing DCF in Turkey you don't file the I-129f. You send in the I-130, DS230, G325, I864 and all supporting documents at once. Then they schedule your interview and tell you to bring passport, etc. so I don't know what is even on the I-129f. I just noticed that right under the title for the k3 forum it says:

People who file for a K-3 have automatically also filed for a IR1/CR1 Visa (I-130) and can persue that visa if it is approved faster than the K-3.

And under the title for the CR1 forum it says:

Please note that all K-3 applicants have already filed for this visa by default (the I-130 you filed). If this option is faster than the K-3 then you can abandon your K-3 Visa and get this one instead.

Right - so to file an I-129F for a K3, you must have already filed the I-130 for the CR/IR-1 but not the other way around.

Edited by mclayto

Timeline

Good luck.

Hi Canadian Wife,

This is interesting. I didn't know that it pulls the I-130 to the back of the line. Can you tell me where you got this info? I was actually thinking that I would file the I-129F anyway since its free and then see which one happens sooner. However, if this is true then it might actually cost me time.

Thanks

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Oh, ok. So the difference is that the K3 is sometimes, but not always quicker but then you have more hassle upon arrival by not being able to work immediately and you have to file AOS, etc. But with the CR1 it 'might' take longer to get the visa but then when you arrive stateside you can work immediately and don't have to file AOS. Am I correct?

yep, you got it.

as far as the quotes you have up there...they are taken out of context. You have filed for both IF you filed the 129f after the 130. A k3 petition is TWO seperate forms, the 130 first, followed by the 129f(with the 130's NOA1 attached). At that point you have petitioned for both the cr1 and the k3

to the OP,

Last year when the k3's were running 2-3 months behind CR1's at USCIS, I would say dont even bother..but that changed earlier this year and they picked up the pace for K3's.

I always say to check your consulate scheduling times. Some consulates schedule the K visas a month or so earlier than CR/IR1's. The K3 and CR1's are processing in the same amount of time now at USCIS, but you use the date of your 129f not your 130.

example: So you can start on say.. the first of Nov with the 130 but when you send in the 129f(mid Nov after you get the NOA1 for the 130)...the 130 is taken out of its place in line for adjudication and put in the back with the mid/late Nov date(by the time you get your NOA1 for the 129f K3). make sense?

The key in deciding if time is your only concern all lies in your consulate...thats what could save you anywhere from 4-6 weeks.

"you fondle my trigger then you blame my gun"

Timeline: 13 month long journey from filing to visa in hand

If you were lucky and got an approval and reunion with your loved one rather quickly; Please refrain from telling people who waited 6+ months just to get out of a service center to "chill out" or to "stop whining" It's insensitive,and unecessary. Once you walk a mile in their shoes you will understand and be heard.

Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I've been a member of this site for more than a year. It's common knowledge for those who have gone through the process an who have watched others go through it. Like I said, 6-8 weeks after I-130 stand alones where approved, the I-129/I-130 combos were approved.

Read through the K-3 posts, you'll see it

Hi Canadian Wife,

This is interesting. I didn't know that it pulls the I-130 to the back of the line. Can you tell me where you got this info? I was actually thinking that I would file the I-129F anyway since its free and then see which one happens sooner. However, if this is true then it might actually cost me time.

Thanks

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Ok, now I'm relieved that I went with the CR1. I just wish I knew what the average time line is to get the visa from the Ankara embassy after the interview.

You're filing through DCF, you can only get the CR1/IR1. K3 is not eligible for a DCF filing.

Montreal: BEAT!!! Approved!!!!!

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.