meauxna

Posting Safety at VisaJourney

71 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

In a thread earlier today, someone posted this:

Already I have chosen the people I would rather ask information from via personal message rather than post.

It caused me to think, really this is not such a good idea. It's my personal policy to not discuss immigration matters in private message or email, and I really recommend that people *seeking* information not do so in private.

Why? Discussion groups like Visa Journey are a collection of our experiences. Sometimes we get the info wrong when we're passing it onto each other or information changes. By posting our questions and answers in public, bad info can be corrected, and good info can be reaffirmed.

Also, someone coming along after is *sure* to have the same question. Often, unheard lurkers benefit greatly from the open exchange of information.

And that's all I have to say about that. :)

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I agree Meauxna it is not a good thing

Had I not found VJ I would never have know I could check my case status online...I would never have known the steps in the process and never would have realized my lawyer was a moron and that after a few months here I knew more about immigration than he did.

Char

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

I agree :thumbs:

If you ask something in private and the person gives you a wrong advice, you'll never know it's wrong because you won't have other VJers to support that advice.

And also, everytime someone asks something (most of the time actually) everyone going throught the same situation benefits from it. And that's what a forum is all about... sharing experiences.

I wouldn't mind asking Aussiewench something in private though..... she's pretty reliable. But I don't think she'd enjoy having everyone here choosing to ask her stuff in private instead of posting it! :P

Edited by MrMrsKnight

OUR COMPLETE TIMELINE

Latest steps:

10/26/2006- Consulate receives case (seriously, one month to receive the case?? BS!), and packet 3 that I sent even before they had received the case.

01/02/2007- Interview!!!!!!!!!!!!! Got a 221(g)

01/23/2007- Second Interview. VISA granted!!!

01/29/2007- VISA arrived.... no envelope though. I'm gonna contact them and see what happened this time!

01/31/2007- I'll have to send them one last financial support evidence.

02/01/2007- Evidence sent

02/02/2007- Evidence received by Consulate

02/06/2007- Consulate sends envelope!

02/07/2007- Envelope received!!!

02/10/2007- Flew to the USA!!!!!!

04/17/2007- Wedding day!!!

--- Wish us luck!!! ---

I agree :thumbs:

If you ask something in private and the person gives you a wrong advice, you'll never know it's wrong because you won't have other VJers to support that advice.

And also, everytime someone asks something (most of the time actually) everyone going throught the same situation benefits from it. And that's what a forum is all about... sharing experiences.

I wouldn't mind asking Aussiewench something in private though..... she's pretty reliable. But I don't think she'd enjoy having everyone here choosing to ask her stuff in private instead of posting it! :P

Aussiewench is great!!! She is very knowledgeable about immigration process.

I-130 Timeline with USCIS:

It took 92 days for I-130 to get approved from the filing date

NVC Process of I-130:

It took 78 days to complete the NVC process

Interview Process at The U.S. Embassy

Interview took 223 days from the I-130 filing date. Immigrant Visa was issued right after the interview

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I guess some are afraid of ridicule or criticism of their situation if they do ask. I know I've had criticism aimed at advice such as seeking a marriage counselor before filing for divorce. Albeit that doesn't deter me from giving my advice but I can see how some would be apprehensive about posting.

Barbara (Canada) & Dallas (USC)

AOS

Nov 13 2005 EAD & I-485 sent to Chicago Lockbox

Nov 22, 2005 EAD & I-485 NOA1

Dec 15, 2005 Biometrics for EAD & I-485

Dec 19, 2005 EAD & I-485 Touched

Jan 21, 2006 Rec'd I-485 Fingerprint Reschedule Notice (AHHH!!!)

Feb 10, 2006 Fingerprint App't

Feb 1, 2006 EAD Approved!!!!

Feb 11, 2006 Rec'd EAD card

Feb 13, 2006 Applied for SSN

Feb 17, 2006 Rec'd SSN

Feb 23, 2006 I-485 Transferred to CSC (AHHH!!)

Mar 02, 2006 I-485 Has been received at CSC

Mar 13, 2006 I-485 Touched

Mar 14, 2006 I-485 Touched

Apr 15 & 25 2006 emailed CSC for status inquiry on I-485

Apr 26 2006 received a response from CSC, another response in 60 days (ahhhhh!!!)

Apr 27, 2006 I-485 Touched

Jun 17, 2006 I-485 Touched

Jun 19, 2006 I-485 Touched

Jun 20, 2006 I-485 Touched

July 3, 2006 emailed CSC again, no response given in the allotted 60 days time frame.

July 27, 2006 received a response from CSC, another response will be given in 30 days.. ha ha ha.

***app sent back to Missouri ***app sent to Chicago

Aug 21 2006 touched

Sept 29 2006 3rd year Anniversay

October 13, 2006 Immigration Interview - Need to return with Long Form Birth Certificate

October 13, 2006 Long Form Birth Cert ordered with expediated shipping

October 18, 2006 Birth Cert Received

October 19, 2006 2nd Immigration Interview - APPROVED

5-20 business days for the Green Card to arrive, maybe I'll be back to see my family before Christmas?

i think the more info and opinions you get..the better the experience..lorelle ( aussiewench) ..will agree with this...

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I think postings should be for everyone to see. I have stubbling across a post that answered a question i hadn't thought of posting and never occured to me until i read it and it helped ease a worry about i-129f. Posting is fun. lets all post freely so everyone can read.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I guess some are afraid of ridicule or criticism of their situation if they do ask. I know I've had criticism aimed at advice such as seeking a marriage counselor before filing for divorce. Albeit that doesn't deter me from giving my advice but I can see how some would be apprehensive about posting.

I can sure appreciate that concern; I think there is way too much life advice injected into immigration question threads. That is something that we as a group can decide to encourage or not (much like the recently locked thread)--it's a community thing. If "we" feel that newer members are inhibited in asking questions, and we don't like it, change each other's behavior by example.

If we're all grown up enough to be moving around the world, surely we can be adult enough to treat each other the way we'd like to be treated.

Thank you for bringing this up. :)

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Timeline

i can tell about me...

i just talk shits on privates messages, i talk to some brasilians and we laugh, and i got them msn's to talk and we dont ask advices or things... we just talk how work is a ###### and how is weather and how is difficult to wait and thats it...

i knew wonderful people on private messages, like david and val, and we talked on skype together, david and val, bryan and me anad it was great.

/why am i writing this?

Afe... i dont know... i agree

ajaiajahuah

bye peopleeeee

Visa Approved!

Removal of Conditions

21/03 - VSC Received it

24/03 - NOA 1

27/03 - Check Cashed

08/04 - Biometrics received

July 8th - Approved

"Do you think who made the ears wont listen to you? Do you think who made the eyes, wont see? God is always watching you and listening to you"

988_d85d41946422f5b8fb58899bbfd0ba87_prod.jpg

i think the more info and opinions you get..the better the experience..lorelle ( aussiewench) ..will agree with this...

Very true Dean. I have been here since last June and all I pretty much did until we filed in October was read and learn from everyone's experiences here, as well as USCIS, DOS websites. I learnt from many, particularly meauxna & yodrak. I learnt very quickly that despite the wealth of information from members, I was responsible for my own case.....so I would verify what I was reading by going to the USCIS & DOS websites. Not everything naturally but you get my drift. Research is the key to your own case...by using VJ and the USCIS, DOS websites.

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

Timeline

I can sure appreciate that concern; I think there is way too much life advice injected into immigration question threads. That is something that we as a group can decide to encourage or not (much like the recently locked thread)--it's a community thing. If "we" feel that newer members are inhibited in asking questions, and we don't like it, change each other's behavior by example.

If we're all grown up enough to be moving around the world, surely we can be adult enough to treat each other the way we'd like to be treated.

Thank you for bringing this up. :)

Well said! :thumbs:

OUR COMPLETE TIMELINE

Latest steps:

10/26/2006- Consulate receives case (seriously, one month to receive the case?? BS!), and packet 3 that I sent even before they had received the case.

01/02/2007- Interview!!!!!!!!!!!!! Got a 221(g)

01/23/2007- Second Interview. VISA granted!!!

01/29/2007- VISA arrived.... no envelope though. I'm gonna contact them and see what happened this time!

01/31/2007- I'll have to send them one last financial support evidence.

02/01/2007- Evidence sent

02/02/2007- Evidence received by Consulate

02/06/2007- Consulate sends envelope!

02/07/2007- Envelope received!!!

02/10/2007- Flew to the USA!!!!!!

04/17/2007- Wedding day!!!

--- Wish us luck!!! ---

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

I agree also. It is one thing to ask someone specifics about their case or how they did something, but quite another to take one persons information as the only way for something.

I-130

2005-09-23 Sent I-130.

2005-10-05 I-130 NOA1

2006-02-19 *touched*

2006-02-21 RFE

2006-03-09 RFE received by CSC

2006-03-29 I-130 NOA2

2006-03-31 *touched*

2006-04-01 *touched*

2006-04-12 NVC assigned case number

I-129F

2005-11-18 I-129F Sent

2005-11-29 I-129F NOA1

2005-12-27 I-129F RFE :(

2006-01-13 I-129F RFE Reply sent.

2006-01-25 *touched*

2006-01-26 I-129F RFE received

2006-04-04 *touched*

2006-04-04 NOA2 **approved!!!**

2006-04-20 NVC assigned case number

2006-04-21 case forwarded to embassy

2006-04-26 packet 3 received

2006-05-02 packet 3 sent

2006-05-04 packet 4 received

2006-05-15 Interview in Stockholm **APPROVED**

2006-05-23 My sweetie is coming home!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

That´s why I came here (brazilian girls from Orkut showed me the way), ´cus we can get our questions with a dozen answers and also gets to see different problems and how to deal with them in case it happens to you.

(Puerto Rico) Luis & Laura (Brazil) K1 JOURNEY
04/11/2006 - Filed I-129F.
09/29/2006 - Visa in hand!

10/15/2006 - POE San Juan
11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY
01/05/2007 - AOS sent to Chicago.
03/26/2007 - Green Card in hand!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS JOURNEY
01/26/2009 - Filed I-751.
06/22/2009 - Green Card in hand!

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
06/26/2014 - N-400 sent to Nebraska
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics
10/24/2014 - Interview (approved)

01/16/2015 - Oath Ceremony

*View Complete Timeline

Giving this thread a well-deserved bump. :thumbs:

Abby (U.S.) and Ewen (Scotland): We laughed. We cried. Our witness didn't speak English. Happily married (finally), 27 December 2006.

Latest news: Green card received 16 April 2007. USCIS-free until 3 January 2009! Eligible to naturalize 3 April 2010.

Click on the "timeline" link at the left to view our timeline. And don't forget to update yours!

The London Interviews Thread: Wait times, interview dates, and chitchat for all visa types

The London Waivers Thread: For I-601 or I-212 applicants in London (UK, Ireland, and Scandinavia)

The London Graduates Thread: Moving stateside, AOS, and OT for London applicants and petitioners

all the mud in this town, all the dirt in this world

none of it sticks on you, you shake it off

'cause you're better than that, and you don't need it

there's nothing wrong with you

--Neil Finn

On second thought, let us not go to Camelot. 'Tis a silly place.

--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.