phong+mai

Wife wants to move to Seattle

51 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

My wife's been here in the States about 3 months and just recently told me that she wants to move to the Seattle area to learn the hair stylist trade from her sister. Of course she wants me to go with her, but I think if I were to go with her, it would break my parents' hearts. I've personally been to Seattle (beautiful place) and I loved it during the time I was there, but I've lived in CT pretty much my entire life and never pictured myself living anywhere else. I always knew there would a possibility she would want to move there, even before she came here but I still wasn't prepared for it when she told me. I'm trying to be as understanding as I can, but can't help but feel a small sense of abandonment - betrayal might be too harsh a word.

I work for a global company and can pretty much perform my job from anywhere with an Internet connection so logistically it could work. All of our assets are liquid (minus my car) so there isn't anything really holding us back. I would miss my family and friends but she's assured me that it would be a temporary move (1-2 years). The immigration process only took us 9 months but I can't imagine going through the torture of being apart again.

I think we've both made sacrifices in order to be together (I try not to forget that she's already relocated to the U.S. in order to be with me), and I realize that these sacrifices need to be made to ensure a better future for the both of us, but right now I'm not sure what to do. We've talked about alternatives such as going to a hair academy locally, or even going back to college, but she feels like she would be happiest and most successful learning from her sister. Most importantly, I want to be supportive of her goals, but should that mean putting our happiness on hold? Has anyone else gone through this?

Phong

05/18/06 - Married

I-130 for CR-1

6/03/06 - Submitted I-130 petition

6/08/06 - NOA1 generated

7/18/06 - Transferred to CSC

7/25/06 - Petition arrived at CSC

7/26, 7/27, 7/28 - Touched

8/03/06 - Approved!!! (56 days)

8/04, 08/06 - Touched

8/17/06 - Petition arrives at NVC, Case number assigned

8/28/06 - NVC: DS-3032 & AOS Fee Bill generated

8/29/06 - Emailed DS-3032 Choice of Agent

9/05/06 - DS-3032 Choice of Agent accepted; Received and returned AOS Fee Bill

9/11/06 - IV Fee Bill generated

9/16/06 - IV Fee Bill received and returned

9/20/06 - IV Fee Bill entered into NVC system

9/23/06 - Received and returned AOS (I-864EZ)

9/25/06 - DS-230 packet generated

9/28/06 - I-864EZ entered into NVC system

10/06/06 - Received and returned DS-230 Part I

11/08/06 - Case complete @ NVC

11/14/06 - Case transferred to consulate in HCMC

03/07/07 - Interview! PASSED!!!

03/9/07 - Visa received :)

03/20/07 - Mai arrives in U.S.

I-129F for K-3

6/15/06 - Submitted I-129F petition

6/16/06 - Petition arrived at Chicago CIS Office

6/21/06 - NOA1 generated

6/24/06 - Received NOA1

6/26, 06/28, 06/30 - Touched

7/08/06 - Received and returned IMBRA RFE

7/18/06 - Received and returned 2nd IMBRA RFE

8/28/06 - Approved!!! (68 days)

9/07/06 - Case forwarded to embassy

9/11/06 - Case arrives at embassy

K-3 abandoned in favor of CR-1

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife's been here in the States about 3 months and just recently told me that she wants to move to the Seattle area to learn the hair stylist trade from her sister. Of course she wants me to go with her, but I think if I were to go with her, it would break my parents' hearts. I've personally been to Seattle (beautiful place) and I loved it during the time I was there, but I've lived in CT pretty much my entire life and never pictured myself living anywhere else. I always knew there would a possibility she would want to move there, even before she came here but I still wasn't prepared for it when she told me. I'm trying to be as understanding as I can, but can't help but feel a small sense of abandonment - betrayal might be too harsh a word.

I work for a global company and can pretty much perform my job from anywhere with an Internet connection so logistically it could work. All of our assets are liquid (minus my car) so there isn't anything really holding us back. I would miss my family and friends but she's assured me that it would be a temporary move (1-2 years). The immigration process only took us 9 months but I can't imagine going through the torture of being apart again.

I think we've both made sacrifices in order to be together (I try not to forget that she's already relocated to the U.S. in order to be with me), and I realize that these sacrifices need to be made to ensure a better future for the both of us, but right now I'm not sure what to do. We've talked about alternatives such as going to a hair academy locally, or even going back to college, but she feels like she would be happiest and most successful learning from her sister. Most importantly, I want to be supportive of her goals, but should that mean putting our happiness on hold? Has anyone else gone through this?

Phong

Personally I would put my wifes wishes ahead of my parents. If there is nothing holding you back, I would say go for it. You can always go back and visit your family regularly.

keTiiDCjGVo

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

This is a very tough question. I can totally understand her wanting to move to Seattle, if my sister was anywhere in the US, I would certainly want to be close to her, and probably it would have absolutely nothing to do with learning anything, it would simply be that I feel really lonely, and that I’d want to be as close as I could to any family that I had.

On the other hand, well, you’ve settled in your area, you have your supporting network of family and friends, you know your area (since you’ve been there all your life) and it’s where you work. Uprooting can be pretty difficult, but then again, she has done it for you. I am not trying to take her side, because my advice is that you both need to be wherever you’re going to be most comfortable.

Talking is the best remedy in this kind of situation, be blunt honest with her. Ask her if this is really about learning to do hair or if she simply wants to be close to her sister, compromise (both of you), because that’s what matrimony is all about, if you decide to move to Seattle but you want to come back, then make sure that you both understand what’s the time period you’re going to consider. Don’t use the my parents, family and friends are here, cause that definitely doesn’t help when you’re talking to an immigrant who has left all behind.

Understand her situation, and maybe experiencing the distance from your own friends and family will help you understand how she feels, being in a foreign place with no one but you on her side (which should suffice if you ask me – she should’ve considered that when she made the decision to move to the US), communicate above all things…

Good luck with your decision, I hope it turns out the best for both of you…

Ana

Our visa Journey ~~~~ 226 days

Removing Conditions on ~~~ May 2008

Our first anniversary ~~~ November 12, 2006

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I'm always for a change! If you can afford to move - go for it. :)

Filed AOS from F-1
Green Card approved on 01/04/07
Conditions removed 01/29/09

Citizenship Oath 08/23/12

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
Most importantly, I want to be supportive of her goals, but should that mean putting our happiness on hold?

It sounds like your collective happiness would also be on hold if you were to stay in CT, since she really wants to be in Seattle. I know that you've both made sacrifices, but are you willing to sacrifice your marriage? You're lucky your job is so flexible. I think it's a no brainer.

Timeline

Thanks for the comments everyone. Money is really a non-issue as I have plenty saved, and even if it were, her sister has offered to let us stay with her. As I've mentioned, this would be an easy move logistically - I've consolidated all of assets, even sold my boat. I just feel that if I were to leave my parents, it would be like a slap in the face to them. Perhaps it's a cultural difference that I'm perceiving.

Thanks,

Phong

05/18/06 - Married

I-130 for CR-1

6/08/06 - NOA1 generated

8/04, 08/06 - Touched

I-129F for K-3

6/21/06 - NOA1 generated

6/24/06 - Received NOA1

I find that the happier my wife is, the happier I am. I wouldn't look at it as detracting from your happiness, but rather having the possibility of increasing your happiness as a result.

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

Filed: Timeline

Why would your parents feel that your and your wife moving to another area to make a better life for you both would be a slap in the face for them..... if your wife's parents felt like that would she have moved to the USA to be with you???

Kez

Sometimes a change is good....it is not like moving at the end of the world...support your wife as she supports you. Good luck for you both :thumbs:

"Daca voi nu ma vreti, io va vreau"

DCF Frankfurt Germany

01/12/2007 I-130 filed in person at the Consulate in Frankfurt

01/17/2007 Faxed the checklist to the Immigrant Visa Unit in Frankfurt

03/29/2007 Got letter from USCIS to provide evidence that our marriage is bona fide

04/02/2007 Sent to USCIS lots of evidence

05/03/2007 I have an unofficial "PETITION APPROVED" ...waiting for confirmation from Consulate

05/07/2007 Received email from USCIS ROME confirming that our petition was approved (why Rome? because we complained to the District Office Rome about the Sub-Office Frankfurt..it took too long for our petition to be approved)...now waiting for the interview letter from the Consulate

05/18/2007 E-mail from IV Frankfurt, our interview was scheduled for May 29th

05/19/2007 Packet 4 in the mail: ja ja ja interview letter

05/29/2007 Interview at 7.30 a.m. APPROVED Thank you, God!

06/01/2007 Visa arrived !

06/03/2007 Mayday on the plane POE Cincinnati

Living in Maryland

06/21/2007 Welcome Notice from USCIS

06/29/2007 Applied for SSN at the local Office

07/07/2007 Green Card arrived

07/09/2007 Another 2 Welcome Letters from USCIS...God, they really love me! :D

07/20/2007 Social Security Card arrived

Living@working in Maryland :)

01/18/2009 PCS-ing to Stuttgart Germany

Feb 2009 Received letter from VSC to start removing conditions.

Getting ready the packet for Removing Conditions I-751

03/12/2009 Mailed the I-751 packet to Vermont Service Center

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I know you are trying to be supportive; but my thought is WTH is she thinking? She just got to the US. She is in no way completely settled in yet. I know for a fact that during the visa process and then after your SO arrives, things are spinning out of control. There is so much to do to get settled in and make life normal again. Even today, exactly one year after Andre has arrived here, we are still working through what seems like endless paperwork and adjustment to life together. To uproot and mess with the instability of moving and settling into another city and all that entails, so soon after she got here, would be more then I could take.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

If you can make the move go for it. I do have a question however. Is her sister an instructor, and would she actually receive a beauticians license by learning from her sister? If not it would seem a large waste of time if she doesn't not get any credit for it.

bar37.gif

Image14.jpg

bar37.gif

Filed: Timeline

Phong,

She can learn the hair stylist trade from anywhere in the country, including Connecticutt. Make sure that you understand what her true motives are, as well as your own.

Yodrak

I work for a global company and can pretty much perform my job from anywhere with an Internet connection so logistically it could work. .....

Phong

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: American Samoa
Timeline

If you have plenty of saving, why did she wanna move to somewhere else after just 3 months, if she loves you?

If she'll go somewhere alone, you might loose her.... cuz you'd never know what she'd do in elsewhere since she already in the US... yes, your parents will get mad if you'll move because of our cultural thinking, good luck man!

Filed: Country: Senegal
Timeline

Get settled a little longer and if in a year or so she still wants to go you

may feel better about it having had more time for you and your parents to

come to terms with it. Nothing says you have to move tomorrow.

I think it is more about her being around her sister than learning

the trade which she can learn anyhwere.

Take it slow!

Timeline

You're right, there really is no rush... financial or otherwise. Thing is, she had a respectable job in Vietnam and had a comfortable lifestyle. Since coming here, she seems almost like a failure for not earning a living, but I think what she misses the most is the daily interaction with co-workers and peers.

If nothing else, I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels she's making a half-baked decision.

05/18/06 - Married

I-130 for CR-1

6/08/06 - NOA1 generated

8/04, 08/06 - Touched

I-129F for K-3

6/21/06 - NOA1 generated

6/24/06 - Received NOA1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.