Six-Twelve

K-1 Visa Expire before use

19 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

This is open to anyone with the knowledge and or past experience. My fiance' experienced family issues prior to and up to her date of departure (05.22.09). It is because of those issues that we stretched her departure date as close to expiration as we did. As a result, she missed her flight and was not able to get a new ticket because I purchased it here for her. Airlines red tape and rules did not permit her to get another flight, or us time (and money) to purchase a new ticket, stating that it was her fault she missed the flight and so on... Anyway, are we SOL on this one, or is there a way to obtain an extention on the K-1 Visa which will expire on Monday 05.25.09, without going through the gauntlet that we've all experienced months or even a year ago? Vispourney travelers I really need your help on this one.

Thanks All

Don

Edited by Six-Twelve

I read your timeline and unfortunately if she is not in the USA within 6 months of the visa being issued you will have to start all over again. I know this is not what you want to hear but the rules are pretty clear. She must enter the USA within 180 days and married within 90 days.

Good luck.

Janet

Edited by carslo

Met online playing pinochle in late Feb or March 2001

Married in San Luis Obispo - July 18, 2008

Sent application CR-1/IR-1 on August 26, 2008 to Chicago lock box

September 4, 2008 - Touch #1

Approval email sent January 5, 2009 after 4 months and 2 days

NVC Journey Begins....

NVC Case officially in AVR - January 13, 2009

DS-3032 / AOS Bill Generated - January 16, 2009

AOS Bill snail mailed - January 24, 2009

Emailed DS-3032 - January 26, 2009

DS-3032 emailed read in NH January 30, 2009

DS-3032 accepted at NVC 0n February 2, 2009 via email

AOS Bill Shows as PAID - February 3, 2009

I-864 Package Generated - March 21, 2009

Mailed I-864 Package - March21, 2009

IV Bill Generated - February 3, 2009

Paid IV Bill - March 6, 2009 - snail mail

IV Bill Show as PAID - March 21, 2009

Mailed IV Package - March 21, 2009

REF - April 1, 2009 - Transfered to a supervisor

Case Completed at NVC - April 7, 2009

Medical completed May 27/09 in Vancouver

Interview Date - June 22 - SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED

POE -Vancouver @ YVR- June 28

Permanent resident card received July 20,2009

Social Security Card arrived August 2, 2009

April 2011 started ROC - May 27 biometrics - July 30 received 10 year green card!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
I read your timeline and unfortunately if she is not in the USA within 6 months of the visa being issued you will have to start all over again. I know this is not what you want to hear but the rules are pretty clear. She must enter the USA within 180 days and married within 90 days.

Good luck.

Janet

Thanks Janet. Should be easier since most of our information has been collected and the Embassy has our old files

This is open to anyone with the knowledge and or past experience. My fiance' experienced family issues prior to and up to her date of departure (05.22.09). It is because of those issues that we stretched her departure date as close to expiration as we did. As a result, she missed her flight and was not able to get a new ticket because I purchased it here for her. Airlines red tape and rules did not permit her to get another flight, or us time (and money) to purchase a new ticket, stating that it was her fault she missed the flight and so on... Anyway, are we SOL on this one, or is there a way to obtain an extention on the K-1 Visa which will expire on Monday 05.25.09, without going through the gauntlet that we've all experienced months or even a year ago? Vispourney travelers I really need your help on this one.

Thanks All

Don

your timeline says visa received Dec 19th, if this is correct she should have just over 2 more weeks to get here.

California Service Center

Consulate: Vienna, Austria

01/09/2008: Marriage

01/22/2009: I-130 Sent

02/10/2009: I-130 NOA1

02/12/2009: I-129 Sent

03/03/2009: I-129 NOA1

03/16/2009: I-130 NOA2 I-129 NOA2

NVC Journey CR-1

04/03/2009: NVC Received and Case number assigned

04/06/2009: IV bill/AOS Fee bill generated (for son)

04/06/2009: Pay I-864 Fee Bill online (for son)Paid I-864 Fee Bill online (for son)

04/07/2009: IV bill/AOS Fee bill (for son) status shows paid

04/08/2009: IV bill/AOS Fee bill generated (for me) Pay I-864 Fee Bill online (for me)

04/09/2009: IV bill/AOS Fee bill (for me) status shows paid

04/09/2009: Received I-864/DS-230 package

04/28/2009: Send completed I-864 package Send completed DS-230 package

05/18/2009: Package entered into system

05/27/2009: AVR says RFE sent by email

06/02/2009: Received RFE by email Sent RFE DHL

06/08/2009: NVC received RFE

06/10/2009: RFE entered into AVR

06/19/2009: Case Completed at NVC

07/08/2009: NVC Left

Embassy Journey CR-1

07/12/2009: Received by embassy

08/24/2009: Medical

08/25/2009: Interview Date

08/26/2009: Visa in hand

09/14/2009: POE Boston Harbour

01/18/2011: I-751 sent to CSC

01/24/2011: NOA1

03/04/2011: Biometrics

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Do whatever you can to book her on a flight to the US that arrives before her visa expires, or you will have to go through the whole process all over again. Good luck.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Just a thought, but if money is an issue for a plane ticket to your exacty location, maybe you should think about getting your SO to the closet and cheapest POE within the US, and you find a way to meet up with her to continue the journey via bus or train.

As a side note, the USIC does not have her file, remember all of your documnts were sent to her home country for the interview, so you would have to start all over from scratch.

Remember Monday is a Federal holiday, so all offices will be closed.

Edited by RoxcieJoe

Do what ever you can (beg, borrow, steal) to get that flight before the visa expires (you've got what? 2 or 3 weeks yet?) - otherwise start the process over from the beginning (paying fees and of course the time).

Do what ever you can (beg, borrow, steal) to get that flight before the visa expires (you've got what? 2 or 3 weeks yet?) - otherwise start the process over from the beginning (paying fees and of course the time).

Agreed, get her here and fast! Didn't the OP say it expires May 25 th though? She'd have to leave like, now. From what I've read, the visa is valid up to and including the date of expiration...If this is true, there's still a chance.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

The good news is that you may not have to start over as the consulate has full discretion to re-issue the visa... the bad news is that the consulate has full discretion and they are not obligated to do so.

YMMV

Agreed, get her here and fast! Didn't the OP say it expires May 25 th though? She'd have to leave like, now. From what I've read, the visa is valid up to and including the date of expiration...If this is true, there's still a chance.
Yeah, you're right about the 05/25 date - I saw that and then saw the timeline where the visa was issued mid-December and counted forward 6 months... but like you said - there's still 2 days left on the clock..

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

If you purchased a non-refundable ticket and did not change the dates prior to the day of the flight, unfortunately you'll have to purchase another ticket and get her in the US before her visa expires, after which you'd have to start over with the process, waiting time and fees included.

Plus you'd have to explain why she didn't use her K1 the first time around, if she had 6 months to do so (depending on the adjudicator or officer at the consulate level he might frown at this which could show uncertainty of the relationship) so having good evidence and good explanation of why she didn't make it is a good choice.

My advice is if there's no issues with your relationship and it was only a family issue on her side find a way to buy a new ticket and get her in US before the expiration of her visa. A lot of agencies or even TAM airlines sell tickets in monthly payments on the credit card, with zero interest, look into it.

(Puerto Rico) Luis & Laura (Brazil) K1 JOURNEY
04/11/2006 - Filed I-129F.
09/29/2006 - Visa in hand!

10/15/2006 - POE San Juan
11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY
01/05/2007 - AOS sent to Chicago.
03/26/2007 - Green Card in hand!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS JOURNEY
01/26/2009 - Filed I-751.
06/22/2009 - Green Card in hand!

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
06/26/2014 - N-400 sent to Nebraska
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics
10/24/2014 - Interview (approved)

01/16/2015 - Oath Ceremony

*View Complete Timeline

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
If you purchased a non-refundable ticket and did not change the dates prior to the day of the flight, unfortunately you'll have to purchase another ticket and get her in the US before her visa expires, after which you'd have to start over with the process, waiting time and fees included.

Plus you'd have to explain why she didn't use her K1 the first time around, if she had 6 months to do so (depending on the adjudicator or officer at the consulate level he might frown at this which could show uncertainty of the relationship) so having good evidence and good explanation of why she didn't make it is a good choice.

My advice is if there's no issues with your relationship and it was only a family issue on her side find a way to buy a new ticket and get her in US before the expiration of her visa. A lot of agencies or even TAM airlines sell tickets in monthly payments on the credit card, with zero interest, look into it.

her fault ??? book it few days in advance not the exact date come on think!!!! Even if she was at bar flights are canceled etc etc etc and the time in damn security now it feels like days.Don't blame anyone for not having forethought of what might happen expect it most things are a test WHAT TO DO NOW??? MMM GET ON THE HORN TO PEOPLE THAT COUNT NOT ON HERE.EXPLAIN THE ERROR IN JUDGMENT UNWILLINGNESS TO LEAVE EACH OTHERS SIDE TILL LAST MINUTE AND GO FROM THERE.Or don't up to you but blame has no place in a loving relationship.

This love an unlocked door across any

time zone or any waves of blue.

10?? More days and the ocean that has separated us for 3 years Is dried up!!!My Habibi is coming Home!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

Either book a flight for today with a credit card or contact the Embassy ASAP. I believe they will be closed on 5/25 as it is Memorial Day. I think the embassies recognize both US and local holidays.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

her fault ??? book it few days in advance not the exact date come on think!!!! Even if she was at bar flights are canceled etc etc etc and the time in damn security now it feels like days.Don't blame anyone for not having forethought of what might happen expect it most things are a test WHAT TO DO NOW??? MMM GET ON THE HORN TO PEOPLE THAT COUNT NOT ON HERE.EXPLAIN THE ERROR IN JUDGMENT UNWILLINGNESS TO LEAVE EACH OTHERS SIDE TILL LAST MINUTE AND GO FROM THERE.Or don't up to you but blame has no place in a loving relationship.

I'm not sure I follow you but it seems to me you're saying I am trying to fault her for not changing the flight if she couldn't make it. I'm not blaming anyone, I was stating a fact that if the ticket was non refundable or if they couldn't change the flight in time, then it's an unfortunate thing but, they'll have to purchase a new one.

(Puerto Rico) Luis & Laura (Brazil) K1 JOURNEY
04/11/2006 - Filed I-129F.
09/29/2006 - Visa in hand!

10/15/2006 - POE San Juan
11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY
01/05/2007 - AOS sent to Chicago.
03/26/2007 - Green Card in hand!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS JOURNEY
01/26/2009 - Filed I-751.
06/22/2009 - Green Card in hand!

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
06/26/2014 - N-400 sent to Nebraska
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics
10/24/2014 - Interview (approved)

01/16/2015 - Oath Ceremony

*View Complete Timeline

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.