LAX-CTG

K1 and immediate family

38 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hello everyone,

What great information here! I read and like this board a lot. It's nice to see others in the same situation as well.

Since things are getting serious with my girlfriend, I thought it was time to join and post.

I am thinking the K1 is what we might do, but we are still open now.

I have a question, how do relatives affect the approval or denial of a K1?

My girlfriend has relatives here in the US that are on expired tourist visas.

They are actually immediate family that came on tourist visas a couple of years ago, and never went back.

They are Colombian and I am American. Interestingly enough, this may sound like a red flag,

but given all that I know about her, I am completely comfortable with it. (Except of course the legalities)

Anyway, would this affect a K1 for us? (or K3)

Thanks a million!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I don't know how this is going to affect your visa application for your fiancee. I don't think it will because you are going about it the RIGHT way. Your fiancee hasn't done anything wrong. Her relatives have. As far as the relatives overstaying their visa, they'll eventually get caught and be sent back. They went about it the WRONG way.

Edited by altimixdj

Joseph

us.jpgKarolina

AOS application received Chicago - 11/12/2007

You could very well have some Red Flags growing in your visa-garden. There are certainly those more knowledgeable here that will be able to say for sure though...

Check out a thread called "Lets Talk About Red Flags"... another is "Master RFE List" thread.. (search is down right now so couldn't find them right away.)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

They might have gone about it the wrong way but what else can they do? Some people don't have other options.

ANYWAY, your girlfriend's possibility of getting a visa has nothing to do with her relatives. It's mainly a thing that pertains to the petitioner and beneficiary. If her relatives are her parents, then she can just firmly state that she has nothing to do with their situation, which is the truth.

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline
They might have gone about it the wrong way but what else can they do? Some people don't have other options.

So it's okay to defraud the government and flush your moral integrity down the drain? Not to mention illegal immigrants are the ones that cause all the problems for people that go about this the right way.

To the thread poster: do as you please, but I think you're making a mistake.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I recall no question in the application process so far regarding other family members in the US - legally or illegally. Nor do I recall reading any such questions coming up during the process for anyone else. Is it possible? Yes.

If you met because she was here visiting her illegally present relatives, then it will be out in the open. If she was here with them before they became out of status and you met while she was on vacation - no problems there, that's an average meeting story.

I-129F/K1

1-12-07 mailed to CSC

1-22-07 DHS cashes the I-129F check

1-23-07 NOA1 Notice Date

1-26-07 NOA1 arrives in the post

4-25-07 Touched!

4-26-07 Touched again!

5-3-07 NOA2!!! Two approval emails received at 11:36am

5-10-07 Arrived at NVC/5-14-07 Left NVC - London-bound!

5-17-07??? London receives?

5-20-07 Packet 3 mailed

5-26-07 Packet 3 received

5-29-07 Packet 3 returned, few days later than planned due to bank holiday weekend

6-06-07 Medical in London (called to schedule on May 29)

6-11-07 "Medical in file" at Embassy

6-14-07 Resent packet 3 to Embassy after hearing nothing about first try

6-22-07 DOS says "applicant now eligible for interview," ie: they enter p3 into their system

6-25-07 DOS says interview date is August 21

6-28-07 Help from our congressional representative gives us new interview date: July 6

7-06-07 Interview at 9:00 am at the London Embassy - Approved.

7-16-07 Visa delivered after 'security checks' completed

I-129F approved in 111 days; Interview 174 days from filing

Handy numbers:

NVC: (603) 334-0700 - press 1, 5; US State Department: (202) 663-1225 - press 1, 0

*Be afraid or be informed - the choice is yours.*

Timeline

So it's okay to defraud the government and flush your moral integrity down the drain? Not to mention illegal immigrants are the ones that cause all the problems for people that go about this the right way.

What in the he** are you talking about? They ARE doing things the right way. Does she get punished because others in her family have done wrong? Aren't people from certain countries already punished because of the wrong-doings of others by virtue of this convoluted process? Is that fair? Nope. Who cares what her family did. That's immaterial.

I-129F/K1

1-12-07 mailed to CSC

1-23-07 NOA1 Notice Date

4-25-07 Touched!

4-26-07 Touched again!

5-20-07 Packet 3 mailed

5-29-07 Packet 3 returned, few days later than planned due to bank holiday weekend

6-22-07 DOS says "applicant now eligible for interview," ie: they enter p3 into their system

6-28-07 Help from our congressional representative gives us new interview date: July 6

Handy numbers:

NVC: (603) 334-0700 - press 1, 5; US State Department: (202) 663-1225 - press 1, 0

The poster came on with a real question, and he's getting beat up for his girlfriend family's history of illegals. He can't control them, or tell them to get out. He's in love with his girlfriend, and he can't change her families position.

I dont recall them asking anywhere in the K1 process about beneficiary families status/history. So unless they specifically ask about where her family is etc, you should be safe.

12140.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

What in the he** are you talking about? They ARE doing things the right way. Does she get punished because others in her family have done wrong? Aren't people from certain countries already punished because of the wrong-doings of others by virtue of this convoluted process? Is that fair? Nope. Who cares what her family did. That's immaterial.

Umm, I think the question needs to be reversed (without the expletive): what are you talking about? Did I state he was doing things 'the [wrong] way'? No. I just said I think he's making a mistake; the apple doesn't fall far from the tree, so to speak.

Edited by Ephesus

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I recall no question in the application process so far regarding other family members in the US - legally or illegally. Nor do I recall reading any such questions coming up during the process for anyone else. Is it possible? Yes.

If you met because she was here visiting her illegally present relatives, then it will be out in the open. If she was here with them before they became out of status and you met while she was on vacation - no problems there, that's an average meeting story.

TimsDaisy,

DS-156 NONIMMIGRANT VISA APPLICATION?

37. Are Any of The Following Persons in The U.S., or Do They Have U.S. Legal Permanent Residence or U.S. Citizenship?

Mark YES or NO and indicate that person's status in the U.S. (i.e., U.S. legal permanent resident, U.S. citizen, visiting, studying, working, etc.).

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/82068.pdf

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

What many don't understand is that many people, including myself and my family, don't have any choice. Almost 25 years ago my parents could not find jobs in Colombia, had two children (my siter and I) and had no money for food, clothing, or school. Visas were denied and to make a long story short, we had to come here illegaly. We had no choice. Later on we updated our status and are now US citizens.

But going back to the question. The relationship the petitioner has with his fiancee does not involve anyone else. Neither one of them is responsible for the illegal status of her relatives. I have relatives that I know live here and have not spoken to in years if not decades. What does that have to do with my husband coming here with a CR-1 visa? Absolutely nothing.

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Timeline

Umm, I think the question needs to be reversed (without the expletive): what are you talking about? Did I state he was doing things 'the [wrong] way'? No. I just said I think he's making a mistake; the apple doesn't fall far from the tree, so to speak.

Can she simultanously enter illegally AND be going through the legal process? She's doin' her thing with her man. How it becomes a mistake for him to do things the correct way with this woman, I don't know.

And if we were really going to start questioning foreign fiancees' true intentions on these message boards, I think every thread would turn into a flame war because we probably all feel like our relationships are just that much more valid and true than the next person's. So let's not go there.

I-129F/K1

1-12-07 mailed to CSC

1-23-07 NOA1 Notice Date

4-25-07 Touched!

4-26-07 Touched again!

5-20-07 Packet 3 mailed

Handy numbers:

Timeline

TimsDaisy,

DS-156 NONIMMIGRANT VISA APPLICATION?

37. Are Any of The Following Persons in The U.S., or Do They Have U.S. Legal Permanent Residence or U.S. Citizenship?

Mark YES or NO and indicate that person's status in the U.S. (i.e., U.S. legal permanent resident, U.S. citizen, visiting, studying, working, etc.).

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/82068.pdf

Thanks - we haven't reached those documents yet so I haven't overly-familiarized myself with them yet. But thanks for including actual information, rather than going the easier "maybe she's just a liar and a cheat like her folks" route.

I-129F/K1

1-12-07 mailed to CSC

1-23-07 NOA1 Notice Date

4-25-07 Touched!

4-26-07 Touched again!

5-20-07 Packet 3 mailed

Handy numbers:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
What many don't understand is that many people, including myself and my family, don't have any choice. Almost 25 years ago my parents could not find jobs in Colombia, had two children (my siter and I) and had no money for food, clothing, or school. Visas were denied and to make a long story short, we had to come here illegaly. We had no choice. Later on we updated our status and are now US citizens.

But going back to the question. The relationship the petitioner has with his fiancee does not involve anyone else. Neither one of them is responsible for the illegal status of her relatives. I have relatives that I know live here and have not spoken to in years if not decades. What does that have to do with my husband coming here with a CR-1 visa? Absolutely nothing.

Not to downgrade your past situation of how and why your family came to US illegally. The same problems exist with US citizens having no money for food, clothing, or being able to attend school either.

Joseph

us.jpgKarolina

AOS application received Chicago - 11/12/2007

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

Please keep this topic "on topic". Thank you :).

I am an Ewok. I am here to to keep the peace. Please contact me if you have a problem with the site or a complaint regarding a violation of the Terms of Service. For the fastest response please use the 'Contact Us' page to contact me.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.