LAX-CTG

K1 and immediate family

38 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Having relatives illegally in the US may suggest that someone coming here has intent to stay also, so a major issue for those applying for Visitor Visa's.

But this is for an Immigrant Visa. So whats the problem?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Here is the thing. This couple eventually wants to be together and be married (since coming here on a K-1 requires to get married). So why go over whether she'll have a problem at the embassy or not. If the form requires to say who the relatives are, then write their names down and that's it, I really doubt the visa will be denied because of that. If they don't ask, don't tell. It's that simple.

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Filed: Country: Colombia
Timeline

Thanks everyone! I never thought I would generate so much discussion. I posted this at work, and watched the thread drop without any views, then I let it go until after work.

The reason I didn't post too many details is becasue I thought it might be general "yes/no, but..." type answer.

One of the big things is that she has had the oppurtunity to join her family in the past and never had the desire to come here. Also the family is possibly returning back to Colombia this year. If that is the case then that could put all of this to rest. However; that might not be until the end of the year, so the paper work would be started before they return home. I am about to buy my ticket to go back down again, so I I am going to get some more details from her. It is after my next visit that I would plan to start the paperwork.

There is a lot of good discussion and answers here. I really appreciate it. I think a couple of things that stand out are the question #37 and going with a don't ask don't tell. I really liked: "Would she risk her parents being deported to be with me?" That is a very good question! I have to admit, I have been in this game for a couple of years and I look for the red flags of the girls using me and this would be one good test! I would be 1/2 tempted to see, but she has passed everything I threw at her and we moved on into that calm trusting point of the relationship. I have seen and believe her to be 100% honest with me. Better yet, I can feel it too. We started our relationship of on the right foot.

I read the post: "Let's talk about red flags". I can see the flags are different in the eyes of the government. Besides her family being here, the only other flag we might have is:

"A very brief courtship followed by a plunge into matrimony" but I guess that would depend.

When the time comes, I also plan on going to the interview and have good documentation.

I did get an attorney; but I paid him to tell me everything I already knew, so now I will use him again as a last resort. Either way of the outcome I will definetly post what happens. In fact I plan to be around here during this whole process, so it looks like I'll have something to add after this experience.

Thanks a million for all the support and help!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Thanks everyone! I never thought I would generate so much discussion. I posted this at work, and watched the thread drop without any views, then I let it go until after work.

The reason I didn't post too many details is becasue I thought it might be general "yes/no, but..." type answer.

One of the big things is that she has had the oppurtunity to join her family in the past and never had the desire to come here. Also the family is possibly returning back to Colombia this year. If that is the case then that could put all of this to rest. However; that might not be until the end of the year, so the paper work would be started before they return home. I am about to buy my ticket to go back down again, so I I am going to get some more details from her. It is after my next visit that I would plan to start the paperwork.

There is a lot of good discussion and answers here. I really appreciate it. I think a couple of things that stand out are the question #37 and going with a don't ask don't tell. I really liked: "Would she risk her parents being deported to be with me?" That is a very good question! I have to admit, I have been in this game for a couple of years and I look for the red flags of the girls using me and this would be one good test! I would be 1/2 tempted to see, but she has passed everything I threw at her and we moved on into that calm trusting point of the relationship. I have seen and believe her to be 100% honest with me. Better yet, I can feel it too. We started our relationship of on the right foot.

I read the post: "Let's talk about red flags". I can see the flags are different in the eyes of the government. Besides her family being here, the only other flag we might have is:

"A very brief courtship followed by a plunge into matrimony" but I guess that would depend.

When the time comes, I also plan on going to the interview and have good documentation.

I did get an attorney; but I paid him to tell me everything I already knew, so now I will use him again as a last resort. Either way of the outcome I will definetly post what happens. In fact I plan to be around here during this whole process, so it looks like I'll have something to add after this experience.

Thanks a million for all the support and help!

I gotta give it to ya! You read the responses and took in all the information with class! It's not common to see the original poster return without being on the defensive. Best of luck to ya man! :thumbs:

Joseph

us.jpgKarolina

AOS application received Chicago - 11/12/2007

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

and it was.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

This turned out to be an interesting post!

reach449

Edited by reach449

SAO'S AND RANDY'S TIMELINES:

K-1

03/05/07-NAO1

06/03/07-NOA2

08/06/07-INTERVIEW>>PASSED INTERVIEW!!

08/21/07-POE LAX!!!

09/24/07-Wedding

AOS:

10/29/07-All, (three) NOA1's received in the mail!

11/20/07-Biometric's Appointment/Complied with..no problems

12/18/07-NOA for interview appointment...02/12/08

01/04/08-Recieved EAD card and AP in the US mail!

02/12/08-AOS APPROVED AT INTERVIEW; CARD ORDERED

02/28/08-Green Card arrived in mail.

Removal of Conditions:

11/12/09-Mailed I-751 package

11/23/09-NOA 1

01/21/10-USCIS confirms no Biometrics

02/16/10-Card Production ordered

02/27/10-Green Card arrived!

N-400 Naturalization Citizenship:

12/12/2014-N-400 Package received by Lewisville Lockbox

12/18/2014-I-797C NOA received in mail; sent in old version of N-400

01/02/2014-USCIS Lewisville Received Package

01/06/2014-Checked Cashed

01/12/2014-Email from USCIS Receipt of Package

02/03/15-Biometrics Completed

02/04/15-USCIS notice of scheduling Interview

02/24/15-Interview scheduled for 03/31/2015

03/31/2015-Interview>Went Very well!

04/28/2015-OATH

Filed: Country: Colombia
Timeline

Thanks for the compliment. I can respect all of what is said here.

On a side note: Her and I have only begun to discuss this between us, but what is really great for me is that we are both on the same page... We just want to do this honestly, step by step, and the correct way. (With the situation, I thought I might have some unsolicited advice. You know; the underground type, but she is 100% with me on this.)

All in all it seems like we actually have the same odds as everyone else, which is ok with me.

I wasn't sure if I had any before I posted. Ok, more info for me to read!

Thanks everyone for all the help!

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I don't think you're re-statement of what meauxna wrote is accurate. As you point out, the OP presented sparse details. For the OP to get good advise specific to his situation he needs to have the full details reviewed by someone who can identify which of those details, if any, might be a problem.

Sure, we can have a general discussion of the issues here on VJ, but I believe that for the OP to get good guidance that will be relevant to his specific situation is beyond us. I think that is what meauxna believes also.

I think you'll find that in my response to the OP, I gave exactly that 'general discussion' which I feel to be of usefulness in the sense that the OP has some basis on which to consider the relevance of issues that are specific to his case, whether known to us or not, and which also addresses the broad issue for the benefit of other readers, and may help serve to pinpoint the generalities in a way that wasn't achieved previously in the thread.

I'm not personally much concerned at whether you consider my 're-statement' of what meauxna said is accurate or not, and I certainly wasn't suggesting an attorney consultation was inappropriate. I'm curious why this issue would be seen as any more complex than many others where discussion actively takes place unchecked and where the same rules of adjudication for the visa exist. It might readily be said that almost any question here contains sufficiently difficult potential issues that it ought best be referred to an attorney, particularly since it's entirely likely that salient details are not included in the question because the poster may not be aware of the significance of some facet of the case.

Simply because I don't know the answer for a fact, and I don't know of anyone here who know it either. Because it is my habit to insert that caveat frequently, especially when a thread is full of opinion and potential misinformation. Because any 'general' discussion of this topic would be for our entertainment instead of the OP's benefit. Because it was my personal judgement call.

I'm happy for the discussion to go on--I look forward to learning something new about it (like pushbrk's reference to the GIV form). I don't see anything particularly negative (quewstionable?) about referring someone to a lawyer for a more through uncovering. That shouldn't always take place in a public forum.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.