59 posts in this topic

while i have no advice to offer i just want to say it's a shame that goverment (of any country) would interfere in 2 law abiding people spending their lives together.

i wish you well and hope you two are able to work this out favorably.

ROC Timeline

18 NOV 2010 Sent 1.8lb packet to USCIS in Laguna Niguel (day 1)

19 NOV 2010 Package signed for V SEMEGI (day 2)

24 NOV 2010 Package returned because USC didn't sign petition (day 6)

calendar reset

26 NOV 2010 Package sent out again (day 1)

29 NOV 2010 Package signed for by V SEMEGI (day 3)

29 NOV 2010 NOA1 issued (day 3)

03 DEC 2010 Hardcopy of NOA received (day 7)

07 JAN 2011 Successful walk in biometrics (day 42) original date 1 FEB

01 MAR 2011 Date on Approval notice (although it arrived after the card did) (day 94)

03 MAR 2011 Card received (day 96)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
And I was being very matter of fact when I said you were a great help with your snide comment.

You are being snide not me, I simply state the facts, get your emotions out of it.

Someone correct me if I am wrong but: Even if the state recognizes same sex marriage, it is written into the Immigration Act that the spouse must be of the opposite sex?

I know we don't know the poster's gender yet, so this might be moot. I am just curious.

How do they get around the birth certificate :blink:

USCIS does not grant same sex marriage visas. Also that person was born a male or female and it is an official record, that is not going to be changed it is there to stay.

Get your emotions out of it? Please refer to your first post.

3dflags_usa0001-0003a.gif3dflags_tha0001-0003a.gif

I-129F

Petition mailed to Nebraska Service Center 06/04/2007

Petition received by CSC 06/19/2007...NOA1

I love my Siamese kitten...

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
And I was being very matter of fact when I said you were a great help with your snide comment.

You are being snide not me, I simply state the facts, get your emotions out of it.

Someone correct me if I am wrong but: Even if the state recognizes same sex marriage, it is written into the Immigration Act that the spouse must be of the opposite sex?

I know we don't know the poster's gender yet, so this might be moot. I am just curious.

How do they get around the birth certificate :blink:

USCIS does not grant same sex marriage visas. Also that person was born a male or female and it is an official record, that is not going to be changed it is there to stay.

Get your emotions out of it? Please refer to your first post.

It all gets convoluted, doesn't it? USCIS doesn't issue visas to same sex couples but, in fact some states do allow transexuals to have reissued birth certificates. The Catch 22 is that in this case, changing the birth certificate will make the couple same sex. They are now opposite sex.

This is not the place to air personal feelings or make assumptions. Birth certificates can be reissued in some States but that would be the State of birth, not the State of current residence, if different.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline
Does she still shave every morning??

Ouch! I think that question is pretty much out of place!

Nadine & Kenneth

Our K-1 journey

02/06/2006 filed 129F

07/01/2007 received visa via "Deutsche Post"

08/27/2006 POE Dallas

->view my complete timeline

AOS, EAD and AP

12/6/2006 filed for AOS & EAD

1/05/2007 AOS transferred to California Service Center

01/16/2008 letter to Congressman

03/27/2008 GREENCARD arrived

ROC

02/02/2010 filed I-751

07/01/20010 Greencard arrived

Naturalization

12/08/2021 N-400 filed 

03/15/2022 Interview. Approved after "quality review"

05/11/2022 Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Unfortunately, same-sex marriages are not qualifying marriages for immigration purposes :( It would really suck if your partner would have to remain legally male just to comply with the immigration laws. But unless the laws change in the near future, there is probably no other way around it :(

I sincerely wish you luck and a lot of patience (F) (F) (F) (F) (F) (F)

Filed AOS from F-1
Green Card approved on 01/04/07
Conditions removed 01/29/09

Citizenship Oath 08/23/12

See This craigslist thread for a somewhat similar discussion. Note the relevant discussion starts with "my 2 pesos", and more interesting facts are brought forth on the "simple legal issues, difficult personal ones" message. The author of those messages, shu2, is an immigration attorney. He's describing a marriage where one party was transgendered, and the other party didn't know about that fact until questions were raised by the immigration authorities. During processing, they uncovered the fact that the wife's social security had originally been issued to a male, and the wife confessed to being a transsexual. The husband was surprised, but stuck with the marriage and they stayed together long after conditions were removed. Since the marriage was between a man and a woman, it was considered valid for immigration purposes, despite the fact that the woman had been male earlier in life.

Basically, in order to have your marriage recognized by the US government for immigration purposes, one party must be male, and the other female. That's per the Defense of Marriage Act. In addition, the marriage must be recognized by the state or local authorities that have jurisdiction over the place where the marriage happened. There's no hard requirement that the people have been of those genders their entire lives, though.

It sounds like this current thread is about the reverse situation, where the gender change will cause the couple to be same sex. The USCIS does not recognize a same sex marriage for the purpose of immigration. If they remained opposite sex, both physically and legally, until conditions were removed, I can't think of any legal problems it would cause.

04 Apr, 2004: Got married

05 Apr, 2004: I-130 Sent to CSC

13 Apr, 2004: I-130 NOA 1

19 Apr, 2004: I-129F Sent to MSC

29 Apr, 2004: I-129F NOA 1

13 Aug, 2004: I-130 Approved by CSC

28 Dec, 2004: I-130 Case Complete at NVC

18 Jan, 2005: Got the visa approved in Caracas

22 Jan, 2005: Flew home together! CCS->MIA->SFO

25 May, 2005: I-129F finally approved! We won't pursue it.

8 June, 2006: Our baby girl is born!

24 Oct, 2006: Window for filing I-751 opens

25 Oct, 2006: I-751 mailed to CSC

18 Nov, 2006: I-751 NOA1 received from CSC

30 Nov, 2006: I-751 Biometrics taken

05 Apr, 2007: I-751 approved, card production ordered

23 Jan, 2008: N-400 sent to CSC via certified mail

19 Feb, 2008: N-400 Biometrics taken

27 Mar, 2008: Naturalization interview notice received (NOA2 for N-400)

30 May, 2008: Naturalization interview, passed the test!

17 June, 2008: Naturalization oath notice mailed

15 July, 2008: Naturalization oath ceremony!

16 July, 2008: Registered to vote and applied for US passport

26 July, 2008: US Passport arrived.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Should it matter if he had the change though? Should they not base it on the fact he has a Y chromosome?

3dflags_usa0001-0003a.gif3dflags_tha0001-0003a.gif

I-129F

Petition mailed to Nebraska Service Center 06/04/2007

Petition received by CSC 06/19/2007...NOA1

I love my Siamese kitten...

Filed: IR-5 Country: Russia
Timeline
Hi all,

I came with an H2B working visa, then I changed it to a B2 visa, however I violated my visa by using my SS to work while I'm on a tourist visa.

Right now, I'm in a serious relationship with a male to female transexual. She has changed all her papers except for her birth certificate, so she's legally male according to her birth certificate. She's a full time student so we were thinking to ask her roommate to joint sponsor me. Here are some of my questions

1. Can we get married and if we can, what should we do?

2. What documents does she need to file for me?

3. Given to my violation, will it hamper my chance of getting my status adjusted?

4. And is it necessary for her to pretend as a male for 2 years (temporary to permanent green card) and while we file until our interview?

Thank you for your attention, if you have more info about how we can pull it off, please im me.

Thank you

I believe this published BIA decision addresses your questions.

http://www.uscis.gov/propub/ProPubVAP.jsp?...dca52d6c79420b2

IR-5 Immediate relative parent of adult U.S. citizen, §201(b)

I-130 [100 Days] (+10 days transiting)

03/30/07 Naturalization oath

03/30/07 I-130 sent to VSC priority mail

04/09/07 NOA "Received Date"

05/08/07 NOA1 issued by CSC, rcvd 05/11/07

07/18/07 I-130 approved!

07/23/07 NOA2 received

NVC [73 Days] (+23 days transiting) ** using James' NVC Shortcuts 2.0 **

08/10/07 NVC received, case number MOS*** assigned

08/20/07 DS-3032 & I-864 fee bill generated

08/23/07 DS-3032 delivered to NVC

08/23/07 I-864 payt delivered to St. Louis

08/27/07 IV fee bill generated

08/28/07 I-864 payt processed

09/03/07 I-864 package generated

09/08/07 IV fee bill received & payt sent

09/11/07 IV payt delivered to St. Louis

09/13/07 I-864 entered onto case

09/17/07 IV payt processed

09/24/07 DS-230 generated

09/25/07 I-864 RFE issued

10/01/07 I-864 RFE & DS-230 delivered to NVC

10/04/07 I-864 RFE & DS-230 entered onto case

10/22/07 Case complete at NVC!

12/10/07 NVC schedules the interview, finally!

12/17/07 Case left NVC

Embassy (Moscow)

12/20/07 Medical exam

01/10/08 Interview APPROVED!

01/15/08 Visa rcvd!

01/26/08 Entered USA

02/04/08 SSN card rcvd (from DS-230 appl./EAE)

02/16,21,25/08 OS155A msg. from TSC

02/28/08 PR card rcvd!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Hi all,

I came with an H2B working visa, then I changed it to a B2 visa, however I violated my visa by using my SS to work while I'm on a tourist visa.

Right now, I'm in a serious relationship with a male to female transexual. She has changed all her papers except for her birth certificate, so she's legally male according to her birth certificate. She's a full time student so we were thinking to ask her roommate to joint sponsor me. Here are some of my questions

3. Given to my violation, will it hamper my chance of getting my status adjusted?

4. And is it necessary for her to pretend as a male for 2 years (temporary to permanent green card) and while we file until our interview?

Thank you for your attention, if you have more info about how we can pull it off, please im me.

Thank you

I believe this published BIA decision addresses your questions.

http://www.uscis.gov/propub/ProPubVAP.jsp?...dca52d6c79420b2

Yes, I think the answer to the basic question is available from reading this case but the OP's case presents an opposite problem. The sex reassignment surgery and subsequent change in birth certificate would result in a same sex marriage, not an opposite sex marriage. So turning the whole scenario on its head, the answer is the USC furture transexual must, in order to accomplish both marriage to the OP and the obtaining of an immigration benefit for his wife, remain a male, no matter how he chooses to portray his sexuality publicly in the interim.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Timeline

Given your violation, it would be good if you were made an example of, picked up, fined, put on a flight, and returned home. You obviously have no regard for the law here and now you are looking for some other way to deceive the system so that you can have a "marriage"? Bring your "lady" friend to Jakarta or whatever village you are from and live happily there. For $35 "she" can get an indo visa to spend time with you there. I suspect though life would be pretty difficult, just an idle thought from my time there though.

Hi all,

Thank you

Violating the terms of a visa isn't law-abiding. Idle comment only

while i have no advice to offer i just want to say it's a shame that goverment (of any country) would interfere in 2 law abiding people spending their lives together.

i wish you well and hope you two are able to work this out favorably.

Filed: Other Timeline
Given your violation, it would be good if you were made an example of, picked up, fined, put on a flight, and returned home. You obviously have no regard for the law here and now you are looking for some other way to deceive the system so that you can have a "marriage"? Bring your "lady" friend to Jakarta or whatever village you are from and live happily there. For $35 "she" can get an indo visa to spend time with you there. I suspect though life would be pretty difficult, just an idle thought from my time there though.

Actually working illegally is normally forgiven during AOS to USC.... :whistle:

Nothing I say is legal advice. I recommend you consult a qualified immigration attorney for any questions you may have.

In a perfect world it wouldnt. another idle comment. U think i have any mercy for a criminal? especially in this pucked up mess? another idle opinion.

Actually working illegally is normally forgiven during AOS to USC.... :whistle:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.