Alt name

Anger at USCIS and security

126 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline
As far as what most of America thinks - I believe that when you discuss any behavior amongst a category of people negatively, you risk pigeon-holing all of them negatively. I fear that much of the negative chatter in the media about illegal immigrants can lead to public policy that will make life for our spouses legally difficult in this nation.

What?!?

Our spouses are LEGAL, there is no way it will become more difficult for them (we have enough hoops as it is). That makes absolutely NO sense.

Dev.......lawmakers can put MORE hoops in place. And historically they have. Every time immigration law has been re-written - more hoops.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline
I disagree about the entry bit. I'm unconvinced that all these scorned illegal entrants would choose coming over here illegally over legally IF there were a legal vehicle for them to enter.

We have to stop/limit US immigration somewhere - we cna't give out a free pass to anyone who wants! Geez.

stop that, i'm having to agree with you again! :bonk:

:luv:

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I disagree about the entry bit. I'm unconvinced that all these scorned illegal entrants would choose coming over here illegally over legally IF there were a legal vehicle for them to enter.

We have to stop/limit US immigration somewhere - we cna't give out a free pass to anyone who wants! Geez.

I'm starting to think that Charles agreeing with Dev is a sign of the coming apocalypse! :lol::P

As far as what most of America thinks - I believe that when you discuss any behavior amongst a category of people negatively, you risk pigeon-holing all of them negatively. I fear that much of the negative chatter in the media about illegal immigrants can lead to public policy that will make life for our spouses legally difficult in this nation.

What?!?

Our spouses are LEGAL, there is no way it will become more difficult for them (we have enough hoops as it is). That makes absolutely NO sense.

Dev.......lawmakers can put MORE hoops in place. And historically they have. Every time immigration law has been re-written - more hoops.

Your husband has a 2 year GC. It is legal for many things. He has an accent, so what? Anyone who questions him, he can say he's legal & prove it. I don't get your point.

Filed: Country: Belarus
Timeline
Many people don't distinguish; Tancredo wants to halt legal immigration and had fanatical support at one point just because people don't like foreigners. (If you hadn't noticed that Tancredo was against legal immigration, that's pretty good evidence for rebeccajo's claim.)

Unlimited mass immigration whether legal or illegal is not in the best interests of the vast majority of Americans. America had an immigration moratorium that stretched from 1924 to well into the 1960's. This is not unprecedented, nor was it detrimental. In fact, I believe it made America stronger and more unified.

For me it is not about "anti-immigrant", but a quality of life issue. Immigration is a privilege...not a right. When it is no long benefitial or desired by most of the people of the host country it is time to ratchet it down to sane levels.

What is going on today is nothing less than total anarchy.

Tancredo's position is not "zero" immigration. Neither is mine. I have no desire to live in a Balkanized America of 500 million just to suit the P.C. crowd that worships multiculturalism.

"Credibility in immigration policy can be summed up in one sentence: Those who should get in, get in; those who should be kept out, are kept out; and those who should not be here will be required to leave."

"...for the system to be credible, people actually have to be deported at the end of the process."

US Congresswoman Barbara Jordan (D-TX)

Testimony to the House Immigration Subcommittee, February 24, 1995

Pathetic really, that someone treats the statement "just because they're Hispanic, doesn't mean they're illegal" as some sort of relevation.

Because so many people REALLY don't make that distinction, I have to thank all of you from the bottom of my heart!!!!

As you can see from my avatar, my husband fits the visual stereotype of an illegal Mexican man. Very dark-skinned, short, still dresses like he did in his village, and speaks broken English (something you monolingual folks may not know...it takes years to learn a new language and thank God I learned Spanish where people are friendly and patient, not like here with people learning English).

And the reason I want to thank you anti-immigrant folks at VJ? Well, thanks to you and people JUST LIKE YOU for making my husband's transition in the US so darn difficult. Thank you for making him uncomfortable for going out into public! Thank you for staring at him and wondering what this illegal fellow (because all darkies must be illegal!) is doing with this white woman! Thank you for assuming that he will snatch your job out from under you! Thank you for being impatient as he tries to ask you a question in the language he's been studying for 25 hours a week! Thank you for watching him suspiciously and making him vacilate between anger, shame, and frustration as he wonders why people seem so racist!

The folks on VJ who spend page after page ranting about those darn illegals are just like the others out there who don't have foreign-born spouses! You think all the same things and only add to the discomfort that my husband has experienced every day since he's arrived!

Your husband is the modern-day version of the poor white European immigrants who entered this country in the early 1900's. They were also reviled, socially categorized, and scorned by most people.

Funny how history repeats itself and people don't pay any attention, isn't it?

What?!?

Your husband has a 2 year GC. It is legal for many things. He has an accent, so what? Anyone who questions him, he can say he's legal & prove it. I don't get your point.

And how hard was it for him to get here? Much harder, comparatively, than it was say....50 years ago. How hard was it for him to even GET the card - do you remember his background check?

He (and your husband) are also conditional residents. The terms of which conditions the government can re-write if they so desire.

All I'm saying is - be careful what we ask our government for. Sure, illegal entry is a problem. But how is it to be fixed? The law was written in 1986 that requires employers to verify someone's legal status to work. Yet people are clamoring for more legislation in this regard.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I'm starting to think that Charles agreeing with Dev is a sign of the coming apocalypse! :lol::P

i'm thinking someone kidnapped dev and took over her account :hehe:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Country: England
Timeline
I have been told by at least 4 people that I have stolen a job from an American..... sadly there are a lot of people who think just like them... they dont care if you have a greencard or not, you are just another Immigrant to them....

Kez

As someone else said.... I don't know what kind of people you find yourself around. My husband has been here over two years now. Within one month of arriving, he got a job he really likes and not once has someone implied or directly stated that he's stolen a job from an American. Maybe this IS a case where few Americans want his job seeing as he teaches highschool math and science to kids with psychological problems.

This came up in yesterdays's thread about the Washington Post article too.... about how if you think doing the paperwork and going through the process was the worst you'd suffer as an immigrant, you'd be in for a big surprise. Well I worried about this kind of thing before my husband moved here and he assured me things would be fine....and you know what...they've been MORE than fine...they've been great for him. Yes he misses his family and friends back home, but he's got a boatload of friends now here too, many of them from work, where apparently no one thinks he stole an American's job. Do people ask where he's from when they here his accent...yes...do they say nasty things...never.

It's not all doom and gloom. Maybe it's the part of the country you live in certainly, but I don't think it's fair to paint the entire country as phobic to immigrants.....people DO recognize that immigrants come here legally.

Edited by Frances

Co-Founder of VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse -

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED
26 Jan 2004 Filed I130; 23 May 2005 Received Visa
30 Jun 2005 Arrived at Chicago POE
02 Apr 2007 Filed I751; 22 May 2008 Received 10-yr green card
14 Jul 2012 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

What?!?

Have you read the complaints of people trying to get bank accounts, jobs, and driver's licenses? Increase the hysteria over maybe something will help an illegal, and a lot of that stuff gets even harder for the legal immigrants.

It probably doesn't touch an upper middle class, educated Brit any more than it does an accentless Canadian. Personally, for our specific circumstance I'm not worried. But for a lot of people whose spouses are Hispanic or have an accent, passing draconic laws for employers just means the employers won't take a chance on an immigrant.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Pathetic really, that someone treats the statement "just because they're Hispanic, doesn't mean they're illegal" as some sort of relevation.

Because so many people REALLY don't make that distinction, I have to thank all of you from the bottom of my heart!!!!

As you can see from my avatar, my husband fits the visual stereotype of an illegal Mexican man. Very dark-skinned, short, still dresses like he did in his village, and speaks broken English (something you monolingual folks may not know...it takes years to learn a new language and thank God I learned Spanish where people are friendly and patient, not like here with people learning English).

And the reason I want to thank you anti-immigrant folks at VJ? Well, thanks to you and people JUST LIKE YOU for making my husband's transition in the US so darn difficult. Thank you for making him uncomfortable for going out into public! Thank you for staring at him and wondering what this illegal fellow (because all darkies must be illegal!) is doing with this white woman! Thank you for assuming that he will snatch your job out from under you! Thank you for being impatient as he tries to ask you a question in the language he's been studying for 25 hours a week! Thank you for watching him suspiciously and making him vacilate between anger, shame, and frustration as he wonders why people seem so racist!

The folks on VJ who spend page after page ranting about those darn illegals are just like the others out there who don't have foreign-born spouses! You think all the same things and only add to the discomfort that my husband has experienced every day since he's arrived!

I understand your frustration and your point of view- but saying "people just like you make my husband's transition so difficult" isn't really fair.

If anyone makes this situation harder for your husband, it is the illegal aliens. So many come to this Country illegally and it makes it harder for those like your husband and myself who have done it the legal and proper way.

Edited by Stacey33

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
I'm of the opinion that since most of America doesn't fully comprehend the immigration bereaucracy, they can't understand why so many people go illegal.

People come to the US illegally because they have no desire to go legal. Or even try. Grass = greener & all that.

I'm also of the opinion that most of America doesn't care if you are a legal or an illegal entrant when it comes to American jobs being 'taken away' by non-citizens.

Not in my world. Every single job J has applied for he has been asked for proof of his legal status. I, too, am being asked if I can prove I am legal to work when I apply for jobs. And these are professional jobs that require certifications/degrees - not McDonald's. He is considered a catch because of his international experience not a threat to Americans whose job he might 'steal'.

I agree.

fear that much of the negative chatter in the media about illegal immigrants can lead to public policy that will make life for our spouses legally difficult in this nation.

good point and true sister becca jo

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

What?!?

Have you read the complaints of people trying to get bank accounts, jobs, and driver's licenses? Increase the hysteria over maybe something will help an illegal, and a lot of that stuff gets even harder for the legal immigrants.

It probably doesn't touch an upper middle class, educated Brit any more than it does an accentless Canadian. Personally, for our specific circumstance I'm not worried. But for a lot of people whose spouses are Hispanic or have an accent, passing draconic laws for employers just means the employers won't take a chance on an immigrant.

Sure have! And how much is about not reading the forms? Lots!

J took in the SSN info that Meauxna used to have in her siggy to the SNN office, no problems. J read about what is needed for a Cali DL & FOLLOWED INSTRUCTIONS. J wrote in his cover letter that he was a legal PR. What is so hard about that?

We had a hiccup at the bank but once he showed legal proof he was here, he was fine.

If an employer chooses to pass over an immigrant, without seeing any proof/lack of proof, then I suggest the potential employee look elsewhere. That's called discrimination. ;)

Next?

Based on some comments here - it bears repeating that it is a PRIVILEGE TO COME LIVE IN AMERICA as an immigrant, NOT A RIGHT. You can go home if it's too hard for you. I would go with J wherever he wanted - just to be together. We chose America, warts & all. In turn, he deals with whatever ####### that brings. It's called life.

Edited by devilette

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

What?!?

Sure have! And how much is about not reading the forms? Lots!

J took in the SSN info that Meauxna used to have in her siggy to the SNN office, no problems. J read about what is needed for a Cali DL & FOLLOWED INSTRUCTIONS. J wrote in his cover letter that he was a legal PR. What is so hard about that?

We had a hiccup at the bank but once he showed legal proof he was here, he was fine.

If an employer chooses to pass over an immigrant, without seeing any proof/lack of proof, then I suggest the potential employee look elsewhere. That's called discrimination. ;)

Next?

Based on some comments here - it bears repeating that it is a PRIVILEGE TO COME LIVE IN AMERICA as an immigrant, NOT A RIGHT. You can go home if it's too hard for you. I would go with J wherever he wanted - just to be together. We chose America, warts & all. In turn, he deals with whatever ####### that brings. It's called life.

:cry: stop stop i can't take it any more! i agree with you :help:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!