LaPrincesa

Divorce Documents

23 posts in this topic

This is a difficult question-so I appreciate ANY advice.

My fiance was previously married. His divorce is processed and we have a letter from the lawyer saying it is processed and a certificate showing that he is SINGLE. However, the divorce is not finalized because no certificate has been made yet and it will not be made until November 27.

Do I submit the I-129F with the lawyer's letter saying the divorce is processing and he is considered single in his country and legally able to marry although the certificate has not been made or do we wait until we have the actual divorce certificate??

*****K-1 Timeline*****

12.14.07 I-129F sent to VSC via FedEx

12.17.07 Delivered to VSC at 11:40 AM signed by A. STANLEY

12.18.07 NOA1 date

12.20.07 Check Cashed!!

12.21.07 Touched

12.26.07 NOA1 hard copy received

02.17.08 NOA2 via email!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

02.19.08 Touched

02.20.08 Touched

02.21.08 Touched yet again

03.10.08 Case received in Kingston

03.11.08 DS-130 Part 1 turned in

03.17.08 Appointment to pick up Packet 4

03.18.08 Medical Exam

04.01.08 Interview!!!!!-APPROVED APPROVED!

04.22.08 Visa picked up from Airpack Ocho Rios

05.02.08 Go to Jamaica to pick up my love

05.05.08 Arrival to the US (via JFK)

06.07.08 Miami Wedding!

*****AOS TIMELINE*****

06.18.08 Sent packet to Chicago via FedEx

06.20.08 Delivered to Chicago at 12:28PM signed by J. CHYBA

06.24.08 NOA1 Date for EAD, AP and AOS

06.26.08 NOA1 for AOS received in mail

06.27.08 Touched

07.05.08 Received Biometrics Appointment Letter

07.24.08 Biometrics Appointment

07.28.08 Request for Initial Evidence

08.01.08 National Benefits Center received Evidence and Case resumed Processing

08.19.08 AOS case transferred to CSC

08.22.08 AP arrived in mail-APPROVED

08.25.08 EAD card arrives in mail (no updates or anything about AP or EAD)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I would wait until you have the divorce decree before submitting your I-129F, or else you will most likely receive an RFE or you will receive the whole package back.

"THE SHORT STORY"

KURT & RAYMA (K-1 Visa)

Oct. 9/03... I-129F sent to NSC

June 10/04... K-1 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

July 31/04... Entered U.S.

Aug. 28/04... WEDDING DAY!!!!

Aug. 30/04... I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent to Seattle

Dec. 10/04... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport stamped)

Sept. 9/06... I-751 sent to NSC

May 15/07... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Sept. 13/07... N-400 sent to NSC

Aug. 21/08... Interview - PASSED!!!!

Sept. 2/08... Oath Ceremony

Sept. 5/08... Sent in Voter Registration Card

Sept. 9/08... SSA office to change status to "U.S. citizen"

Oct. 8/08... Applied in person for U.S. Passport

Oct. 22/08... U.S. Passport received

DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!!

KAELY (K-2 Visa)

Apr. 6/05... DS-230, Part I faxed to Vancouver Consulate

May 26/05... K-2 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

Sept. 5/05... Entered U.S.

Sept. 7/05... I-485 & I-131 sent to CLB

Feb. 22/06... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport NOT stamped)

Dec. 4/07... I-751 sent to NSC

May 23/08... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Mar. 22/11.... N-400 sent to AZ

June 27/11..... Interview - PASSED!!!

July 12/11..... Oath Ceremony

We're NOT lawyers.... just your average folks who had to find their own way!!!!! Anything we post here is simply our own opinions/suggestions/experiences and should not be taken as LAW!!!!

Filed: Timeline

Both petitioner and beneficiary need to prove that they are free to marry at the time of application. If his divorce is still 'processing'....then you need to wait until he has the decree.

I'm sorry! But it's not too much longer now.....

My fiance was previously married. His divorce is processed and we have a letter from the lawyer saying it is processed and a certificate showing that he is SINGLE. However, the divorce is not finalized because no certificate has been made yet and it will not be made until November 27.

Do I submit the I-129F with the lawyer's letter saying the divorce is processing and he is considered single in his country and legally able to marry although the certificate has not been made or do we wait until we have the actual divorce certificate??

LaPrincessa,

Best get the court's certification first... :thumbs:

I'm not advocating this, but I wonder if it might make sense for the OP to go ahead and file with what she's got, and then wait for the RFE. The problem with this is, of course, that the documentation clearly states that the divorce must be final at the time of your petition. So at worst it might result in not only your check being cashed, but an outright denial.

I'm not advocating this, but I wonder if it might make sense for the OP to go ahead and file with what she's got, and then wait for the RFE. The problem with this is, of course, that the documentation clearly states that the divorce must be final at the time of your petition. So at worst it might result in not only your check being cashed, but an outright denial.

What's left to wonder? Or were you just thinking out loud? hahahah

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Trust me when I tell you that VERMONT plays HARD BALL with those divorce papers.

We received our NOA1 on 24 April. We received our NOA2 over 4 months later because the adjudicator that we had played hard ball with my divorce papers. Even though it said FINAL DECREE in BOLD and UNDERLINED on the VERY first page at the top they still gave us grief. They stated that it was not the FINAL DECREE...errr umm can you not read? and I have not been with my EX for four years. It was not like a yesterday divorce. I had to go down to the Clerk of Courts so many times I lost count. The clerk felt so bad for me in this process that they stopped charging me for copies.

First Vermont lost the paperwork from April, then I had to resend the Final Decree, to then be told in the RFE that my divorce was not final. After numerous complaints and tons of phone calls finally our NOA2.

This is not to scare you as I probably had the adjudicator that could not read Legal Documents...

my thoughts to you...wait until it is not ONLY completely final, but make sure that you do not send your package into Vermont until the appeals period of the divorce is over. Most states it is 30 days from the day that the judge signed. So check with your clerk of courts to be on the safe side.

Your attorney should be advising you on this. He/she should know that his letter relative to "process of divorce" is not going to suffice. A red flag would be going up there.

Good Luck :D

April 24th 2007 NOA1

July 11th 2007 touched

August 10th 2007 RFE (paperwork they already had)

August 13thFED EX RFE INFO

August 14 VSC Received

August 21st touched

August 22nd touched

August 23rd touched (cleared security checks)

August 24th touched

September 14th 2007 NOA2

September 20th 2007 Hard Copy of NOA2

September 20th 2007 Letter drawn up from NVC

with new case number. Within a week

Visa petition will be sent to London.

September 29th 2007 letter received from London Embassy

*they have it :D* Need to schedule Medical.

October 12th 2007 Medical complete and done....passed :D

November 5th 2007 Checklist sent to London Embassy

November 12th 2007 Checklist received by London Embassy

December 5th 2007 Interview Date London Embassy *Dances around room*

DECEMBER 5TH K1 APPROVED *Jumps up and down on bed*

*LONDON WAS EASY*

December 17th Fiance' arrived in the U.S. *MERRY CHRISTMAS*

December 19th Social Security applied for

Live first and foremost, don't judge others as they will eventually judge you!! Be the most for your heart and not your head. Above all remember every person you meet is a person!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

I seriously don't understand your question when you clearly stated above that the divorce is not final as there is no official document issued. The stuff from the lawyer will not be good enough. You must wait until the court issues a Divorce Decree. Simple as that.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I seriously don't understand your question when you clearly stated above that the divorce is not final as there is no official document issued. The stuff from the lawyer will not be good enough. You must wait until the court issues a Divorce Decree. Simple as that.

They do in fact get legal documents in the form of a LEGAL SEP., in this Legal Sep. most have the free from hindrance clause in them where you are considered by law to live as you are single, in example you can date without being hindered by the estranged spouse. This also has all of the property and child custody information in it. It then goes to a family court Judge for signiature after the states waiting period...which makes the Divorce FINAL. They do need to send Vermont the FINAL DECREE in the K1 Package. However, I cannot stress this anymore then I have already said, even though the judge signs you have to wait for the appeals period (most states 30 days), before sending it. The appeals period is set in place in the event that either party in the divorce decides to change their mind or conest the divorce. Be better safe than sorry.

April 24th 2007 NOA1

July 11th 2007 touched

August 10th 2007 RFE (paperwork they already had)

August 13thFED EX RFE INFO

August 14 VSC Received

August 21st touched

August 22nd touched

August 23rd touched (cleared security checks)

August 24th touched

September 14th 2007 NOA2

September 20th 2007 Hard Copy of NOA2

September 20th 2007 Letter drawn up from NVC

with new case number. Within a week

Visa petition will be sent to London.

September 29th 2007 letter received from London Embassy

*they have it :D* Need to schedule Medical.

October 12th 2007 Medical complete and done....passed :D

November 5th 2007 Checklist sent to London Embassy

November 12th 2007 Checklist received by London Embassy

December 5th 2007 Interview Date London Embassy *Dances around room*

DECEMBER 5TH K1 APPROVED *Jumps up and down on bed*

*LONDON WAS EASY*

December 17th Fiance' arrived in the U.S. *MERRY CHRISTMAS*

December 19th Social Security applied for

Live first and foremost, don't judge others as they will eventually judge you!! Be the most for your heart and not your head. Above all remember every person you meet is a person!

What's left to wonder? Or were you just thinking out loud? hahahah

Yeah, just thinking out loud. :yes:

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline
[

They do in fact get legal documents in the form of a LEGAL SEP., in this Legal Sep. most have the free from hindrance clause in them where you are considered by law to live as you are single, in example you can date without being hindered by the estranged spouse. This also has all of the property and child custody information in it. It then goes to a family court Judge for signiature after the states waiting period...which makes the Divorce FINAL. They do need to send Vermont the FINAL DECREE in the K1 Package. However, I cannot stress this anymore then I have already said, even though the judge signs you have to wait for the appeals period (most states 30 days), before sending it. The appeals period is set in place in the event that either party in the divorce decides to change their mind or conest the divorce. Be better safe than sorry.

A LEGAL SEPARATION is a totally different status from being divorced. You are for purposes of communty property, etc. the same as being divorced....but you are not divorced, you are only LEGALLY SEPARATE (i.e. still married). A divorce is a totally different kind of action.

I finally got rid of the never ending money drain. I called the plumber, and got the problem fixed. I wish her the best.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

An RFE in this case would potentially be a disaster... If you could not provide additional documentation to cure the question that they were "free to marry" on the date the petition was filed would result in a denial.

An RFE in this case about this particular question to me would be a very bad thing

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

You must wait until you can provide a Certificate of Absolute Divorce Before filing for I129F Most states Issue a NiSi which is a ruling for a Divorce but it usually takes about 30-120 in most states to become final. After the waiting period you can then get the Final Certificate of Divorce. You are still considered married until that 30-120 days lapses before you are free to marry. In most Cases you have to go to the Clerks office to get that Certificate of Absolute Divorce.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.