Oops1999

After K-1 marriage but before AOS, can we divorce?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

We married a week ago, now the girls has "gone crazy." I don't wish to get into details here, they are personal. This marriage was a mistake. Our 90 day K-1 imposed limit to file AOS is 30 days away. What are my options to bail? Before AOS filing, can I send my new bride back, then proceed with an international(Ukraine) divorce?

Edited by Oops1999

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline
We married a week ago, now the girls has "gone crazy." I don't wish to get into details here, they are personal. This marriage was a mistake. Our 90 day K-1 imposed limit to file AOS is 30 days away. What are my options to bail? Before AOS filing, can I send my new bride back, then proceed with an international(Ukraine) divorce?

Yes, you fulfilled the terms of the K1. There is no time line on filling for AOS.

You should have the marriage annulled here.

2005 Aug 27 Happily Married

Yes, you can divorce and she can go back to her country

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline

divorce her right there in your home state. why would you want to get divorced in the Ulraine?

I finally got rid of the never ending money drain. I called the plumber, and got the problem fixed. I wish her the best.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
can I send my new bride back, then proceed with an international(Ukraine) divorce?

You file for divorce in the place of residence of either party to the marriage. If she is living here with you then you file in your place of residence. If she moves back home then you have the option to file where you live or where she lives....

YMMV

but, differnet states have different requirements and timetables for the divorce to be final

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Thank you all for the help. I guess I was wrong in thinking AOS filing is part of K-1 requirements. So I can file marriage docs with USCIS and or State detarpment, and be done with it?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thank you all for the help. I guess I was wrong in thinking AOS filing is part of K-1 requirements. So I can file marriage docs with USCIS and or State detarpment, and be done with it?

You do not need to do anything other than get the divorce if that is what you want... No need to file anything with the USCIS or DOS if you divorce and she goes home....

YMMV

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

You do not need to do anything other than get the divorce if that is what you want... No need to file anything with the USCIS or DOS if you divorce and she goes home....

Fwaguy is correct. There is no need to adjust status, if she's not staying to become a permanent resident based on a bona fide ongoing marriage to the petitioner. Just file for divorce and serve her with the papers. She can then just go home and you mail her copy of the final divorce decree when it's ready.

No need to send anything to USCIS as long as you know she went home. If she tries to stay, that's another matter.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.